[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, let me start by saying that i have no problem with this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12
File: hmar15h_022707b.jpg (36 KB, 250x269) Image search: [Google]
hmar15h_022707b.jpg
36 KB, 250x269
Ok, let me start by saying that i have no problem with this. Buuuuttt. I have seen alot of people discussing the advantages of semi autos for hunting.

First off if you don't have experience hunting or knowledge gained from real hunters then don't give people advice.

Semi autos are fine but for hunting purposes are not ideal. They are gennerally heavier and less accurate (insignifigantly so imho). The main thing i see parroted is
>they allow for faster follow up shots.
No one who actually hunts does, wants to do or should do this. Shooting an animal twice is ridiculous.
>ruins more meat
>will not necessarily garauntee a faster kill
> much higher chance of penetrating digestive organs. Spoiling carcass.
You are always better off having good placement than having a more powerful round or more of them.
For that reasons bolt actions are the most popular type for hunting. Nothing wrong with using an intermediate cartridge or a semi auto. (I used an sks for years) but to say they are the optimal tool is schtewpidt.
>>
There are other reasons to hunt then for food.

Namely bore hunting to remove pests, coyote's too.

Semi auto's are great for removing lots of bacon in bursts.
>>
File: bullshit.gif (222 KB, 399x227) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.gif
222 KB, 399x227
>>29500033
>Shooting an animal twice is ridiculous.
>>
Why do some people get so butthurt about what others use to hunt?
Seriously, why do you care?
>>
>>29500353
because they think if they use gun type A, then they are in some way superior to people who hunt with gun type B. Basically its people wanting to brag about nothing, so long as the animal is dead who cares what gun was used so long as meat is on the ground?

>tl;dr people want to be special snowflakes and look for any reason to seem different
>>
>>29500033
You're better off with a muzzleloader or break action. You'll never have to rack that bolt action back and forth anyway.

Bolt actions are fine but for hunting purposes are not ideal.

The magazines take up space and weight and the mechanism is too complex.

See how stupid you sound?
>>
File: eat shit OP.jpg (143 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
eat shit OP.jpg
143 KB, 660x495
>>29500033
>implying the real problem isn't that the necrotic faggots at browning, winchester, and benelli can't make a "hunting" semi auto that manages better than 3-5 MoA due to fudd faggots like you talking yourself out of a next generation of semi auto precision rifles.

If armalite can crank out sub MoA AR10s in hunting configurations for less than a grand, why in the flying fuck would I buy a Browning BAR that can't hit a shotgun clay at 100 yards from a vice?

I really wish Ares came out with an AR10 SCR lower already.
>>
>>29500033
I love your thoughtful post and agree with every point you made as a hunter who has everything from a scurry assault hunting guns to a muzzle loader.
But I also believe someone's personal preference trumps making utilitarian decisions regarding what gun they hunt with.
It's nobody's business to berate me for using any gun I own capable to taking game, even if it's not 100% ideal.
I'll just end by saying my 50cal muzzleloader is the absolute LAST gun in my collection I'd want to be shot by. Those hunting bullets are vicious, reaching close to 100cal very quickly in an animal.
>>
>>29500033
>They allow for faster follow up shots.
No one who actually hunts does, wants to do or should do this. Shooting an animal twice is ridiculous.

So you clearly do not hunt then.
>>
>>29500033
>no need for fast follow up shots
BULLSHIT. Aside from the obvious ones of hig and prairie dog hunting (yes that is hunting) where you shoot as many of a large group of animals as fast as possible, your large/dangerous game like bears and moose often require follow ups to drop even if the first was a good hit. On top of that, more rounds available is ALWAYS better than less regardless of how fast you actually fire them. Can be the difference between getting mauled to death by a grizzly and feeling bad you didnt DRT it because you shot an eighth of an inch too high, or having a shot up but recovered elk/deer/mountain goat instead of one that ran 3 counties away you never found.

Without getting into the specialty, super expensive ultralight mountain rifles most semis weigh within 3 ounces of a boltgun in the same caliber and are usually lighter than a levergun in the same or comparable caliber.
>>
>>29500486
Uh wut?

Every BAR Ive fired was at least 1.5 MOA with hunting ammo. Which is about what the various AR15s and AR10s shoot with hunting ammo, the sub MOA claims are with handloaded match ammo tailored to that specific rifle.
>>
>>29501841
>you will never ever ever be in a situation where you made a marginal first shot or have the opportunity to legally take multiple animals at once
Okay there yurofag. Sure.
>>
File: 20151021_120900 (2300x1294).jpg (2 MB, 2300x1294) Image search: [Google]
20151021_120900 (2300x1294).jpg
2 MB, 2300x1294
>>29500033
>No one who actually hunts does, wants to do or should do this. Shooting an animal twice is ridiculous.
eh, i guess i was cleaning and not hunting.
>>
>>29501943
fucking brutal
>>
File: spoopy.jpg (775 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.jpg
775 KB, 1920x1080
Pretty sure people don't normally eat these.

Also, you're a fucking tard.
>>
>>29500033
Ther's also the fact that you're flinging brass all over the place which can cause problems.
>they allow for faster follow up shots
I believe they meant if you miss there's a better chance to get it. I agree for deer and elk that a bigger round shot accurately is your better option but for coyote, hogs or other pests the semi's just make sense.
>>
>>29501935
I was quoting OP moron
>>
File: 1017151056a.jpg (439 KB, 1728x1080) Image search: [Google]
1017151056a.jpg
439 KB, 1728x1080
>>29501943
Did you ass shoot that, then the leg and then headshot?
also this pic for you.
Shot this guy with my 40 s&w first right through the ears, then then the head. pretty neat huh?
>>
>>29500033
So what you're telling me that if you shoot your deer and it runs away you wouldnt want that followup shot?
>>
>>29500342
>not killing with one shot
>>
>>29502034
Oh, whoops.

I accept your label.
>>
>>29500426
Why do you care about group A or B to begin with?

What does it have to do with your life, your guns, and your shooting?

Yes, the incessant quest for "special" is probably man's worst trait. The need to set yourself apart from others and be "better" only leads to a skewed world view that reminds you whenever you are "better" there are others that will make you seem "worse".

The cure? Let people follow their own path, and don't worry about it, because every second you pay attention to other people's life, is a second that you neglect your own.
>>
>>29502086
it was my first rabbit and based on the others i shot, i think i shot him in the head first, he flipped/rolled behind a bush, then i saw him moving so i shot at what was moving and that was his hind legs.
later on i discovered that if you shoot a running rabbit in the head, it doesn't guarantee that they'll stop moving.

only shot that rabbit twice.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2605) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2605
>>29500033
I have to shoot most pigs atleast twice. I've seen a pig run for 500yards missing it's front shoulder from a .308.

Penetrating the organs dosent spoil the carcass at all. A simple wash out will be sufficient. Also not that much meat is in the area.

For example for deer I akin, cut off he head, quarter it, cut out the blackstrap, and the tenderloin all without opening up the organ area.

Also semi autos are usually lighter that the same caliber bolt action.

Pic related, shot twice.
>>
>>29502107
Thinking every animal install drops with one shot. It's like you want an animal to run away and die slowly and possibly not find it.

It is common for animals with destroyed vital organs, including the heart, to bolt for a while. It's like you don't know what adrenaline is.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3142) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3142
>>29503673
I hit it while it was running for the second shot.

Pic related I can fit my fist through it.
>>
>>29502107
>Has clearly never hunted large game
>Is not aware that it's a good idea to have that semi if you're hunting something like a bear that won't immediately drop with a heart shot
>angry, mortally wounded bear which has time to maul you while you try to work your bolt while you shit your fudd pants
>>
>>29500426
>It annoys me when people go online and pretend to be better than other people for dumb reasons so I'm currently online pretending to be better than other people for dumb reasons
>>
>>29500315
>bore hunting
>to unlock new calibers you must first kill a wild one
>>
>>29501925
browning shill plz go, the modern BAR hunting rifle and the benelli R1 are 3moa rifles. unsubstantiated "muh gun iz sub MoA with huntin ammo proofs this is da highroad no one needs proofs!" buyers remorse doesn't count. It's a known problem that they're 1500 dollarydoo rifles that shoot worse than a $700 AR10.
>>
>>29504146
>literally the entire premise of this game
also a bretty gud game... besides needing .338WSM to hunt everything because big expensive bullets in big expensive rifles are the most accurate and most deadly for shooting blacktail from a treestand at 50 yards plz go to the store and buy today!
>>
File: 1442384400300.png (394 KB, 598x564) Image search: [Google]
1442384400300.png
394 KB, 598x564
>>29504032
the cycle never ends does it?
>>
>>29500486
BARs are very accurate. My fnar is sub MOA.
>>
>>29504822

According to that game, deer have ribs of kevlar and a moose can eat 3 3.5 slugs to the lungs and still run 500m.

And it's still one of the best hunting games ever made.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 273x184
>>29501841
>tfw culling a mob of goats with sks
>>
>>29506958
hehe, yep Elmer Fudd & Friends hate people that do culling and feral animal control.
I kind of like domesticated goats as they're friendly little fellas, so I have a bit of sadness having to wipe out lots of the feral ones even when they're so destructive, but no sympathy for the pigs. Really don't like feral pigs.

As a Cat-D rifle owner in Australia, I'm pretty much the incarnation of pure evil as far as most of the population's concerned, even though I only kill feral animals wrecking the environment :(
>>
>>29501943
How bad of a shot are you?
>>
File: Stop that.jpg (69 KB, 609x720) Image search: [Google]
Stop that.jpg
69 KB, 609x720
>>29500033
>>
>>29507154
How much of a pain in the arse was getting your cat D? What do you need to become a pro shooter?
>>
>>29508430
More trouble than its worth to be honest, I sort of do it more as a charity than anything else.

>I own a small property with my brother in law and sister, so I'm a primary producer effectively
>Actually I'm an engineer by trade and live in Sydney most of the time, because it pays the bills, but I have a registered business which rolls shooting in with it.
>7 neighbours around us we get along with pretty well and do some animal destruction for them every now and then when the pigs, cats, dogs, goats, foxes, bunnies etc, get out of control
>2 large properties out west in the family- so also do shooting there
>I have 2 friends in the dept of primary industries I've know through uni years ago and a good mate who's in the national parks and wildlife service that I've known since forever- so when they need stuff cleaned up on crown/public land or national parks we'll go out and help out.
>Basically walled up almost a half-garage with a huge, fuck off steel door out at the farm, inside that are heavy duty, lockable steel cages to secure the firearms, ammo and pistols are stored separately
>That basically gets checked by the cops every 1-2 months to make sure I've not stuck a surface to air missile or something in there
>On top of all that, I got 6 references by 2 JP's, some of my fellow officers who are sill in the army and a copper I know from ways back.

Yes, it is that difficult. I'll go shooting about once a month or two, my brother in law who also has Cat-D will generally do it once ever month when required or we'll both nick off out in the bush for some time away from the womenfolk :)
There's no money in it, I just do it so my kids will be able to see native plants and animals in the wild one day.
>>
>>29500033
>Not shooting a deer with 5.56, so you get three deer when his deer battle buddies show up to drag him away.
>>
>>29509347
Fuck me. That's some serious screwing around
>>
>>29500033
doesn't a hunting rifle have a secondary purpose of protecting you from shit while you're hunting?
if i'm getting charged by a mountain lion, I'd much rather have a semi auto than any other action.
>shooting twice is bad
on small game, sure, you run the risk of fucking shit up.
but it can better ensure a kill, and since a big part of hunting is ethics, don't you want the animal to die faster?
>>
>>29500033
>They are gennerally heavier and less accurate (insignifigantly so imho)
nope.
>No one who actually hunts does (use follow-up shots)
intensive hog removal requires a lot of shots.
>>
>>29509672
There really aren't any places in the US where you go deer hunting and you have to worry about predators attacking you.
It's a fun fantasy, sure, that's why I keep my beater pistol in a thigh holster when I hunt by foot, but it's an insurance plan. I don't think I'll ever have to use a weapon to defend myself from four legged creatures while hunting. And I have seen black bear, mountain lions, coyotes, 400+ lbs boat, one wolf, and illegal Mexicans/traffickers on my game cameras.

I mainly carry the pistol for snakes. Fuck snakes.

But that's also why I prefer waterfowl hunting, the most danger you're ever going to be in is drowning or a water moccasin during early teal.
>>
>>29500353
you should see my goybook right now. they just allowed rifle cartridges in indiana this year and all the fudds are pissing themselves and throwing a fit because apparently they think gravity doesnt work on bullets.
>>
>>29500033
Jokes one you. I hunt with a 357 revolver from the car. Longest shot is like 35-40 yard away.

>drive out in field
>throw some apples down
>stupid fuckers walk up near dusk
>pick the biggest one
>BOOM HEADSHOT
>get rope from trunk
>secure deer to hitch
>drive back to barn for processing
>>
>>29509813
Jesus, how close to the suburbs is your farm? Or does somebody go out there and feed them apples once a week and you pick one to just fuck their shit up?
>>
>>29509813

>hunt
>from the car
>hunt

Oh wow, i;d like you better if you started ranting about gettin boars heads 500ft using a nugget
>>
>>29509973
Not even close to the suburbs.

Food plot + deer are dumb. Older bucks are wily, and those are fun to chase, but you can't eat the antlers.

>>29510242
Not my fault I can do this. Just drive to my spot in the field and leave the car running for heat. They'll come in. You'll have to sit still for a couple minutes. Then, just whistle at them before you shoot. They'll look at and pause for 8-10 seconds, giving you plenty of time to aim and shoot.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.