[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mosin vs VEPR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: mosin_and_vepr.jpg (161 KB, 1024x440) Image search: [Google]
mosin_and_vepr.jpg
161 KB, 1024x440
So I'm trying to decide between buying a Mosin Nagant ( either refurbished surplus w/ matching bolt/rifle/scope serials or brand new ) or VEPR ( brand new ) from the Molot factory. My problem is I can't decide which and I like both and I even saw a "tactical" version of the VEPR in AK General which made my decision even harder. I plan on trying them both at local ranges ( if I can find them ) but in the event I'm not able to do so I was hoping you /k/ommando's would be kind enough to share your experiences using these funs with me. Just the normal stuff like...

>Which of these have you used?
>>If you've used both which did you enjoy most and why?
>What was it like?
>Did you enjoy it?
>Was the one you shot modified in anyway? ( Was it a refurbished surplus or have mixed/matched parts? )

I'm hoping you all can help me!
>>
>>29485448
Why the fuck wouldn't you go for the VEPR?
>>
File: vepr_tactical_7.62x54.jpg (204 KB, 1000x540) Image search: [Google]
vepr_tactical_7.62x54.jpg
204 KB, 1000x540
>>29485453
As much as I like the VEPR I can get the surplus or brand new Mosin for less. I also like the traditional long-rifle look although I do like the fact the VEPR is semi-auto, made from an RPK has that wicked looking stock. I also like the thought of the "Tactical VEPR" ( pic related ) anon posted in AKG but something about the Mosin really enchants me. I want to hear about the experiences /k/ has had with these guns.
>>
>>29485448
Why the fuck would you go for either of those outdated shitsacks
>>
File: mosin.png (138 KB, 1097x717) Image search: [Google]
mosin.png
138 KB, 1097x717
>>29485534
Because I can appreciate old ( and old looking ) firearms. Even if they are no longer fit for combat use they can not only be used on ranges or for hunting but they have a historical significance to them I appreciate.
>>
>>29485448
Are you retarded?
Is this bait?

54R is literal garbage
>>
>>29485529
if moneys not an issue get the vepr
the only good part of the mosin was the price and as it is now its rather mediocre
>>
>>29485448
I have this same issue op would love to get a 16" vepr just to fuck things up with but the price of mags and parts ( i always try and keep a good supply of parts around for any weapon i buy) was something i would have to shell out for. But just understand it wont be a tack driver at long range but it sure as hell will kill the fuck out of whatever it hits
>>
File: wpa54r16wood-3-of-9-300x212.jpg (18 KB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
wpa54r16wood-3-of-9-300x212.jpg
18 KB, 300x212
>>29485448
>>
>>29485448
veprs have an issue with the extractor breaking or failing to extract at very low round counts. this issue, along with other issues that arise from the x54r platform strictly being a commercial design makes me weary. the 308 veprs do not have the same issues and have the capability of using double stack magazines. i would be weary of the x54r vepr
>>
>>29485534
>semi-auto 7.62x54r hunting rifle compatible with AK family sights/optics
>outdated
>>
>>29485713

>54R is literal garbage
>longest-serving modern cartridge still in use
>killed many U.S. soldiers and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention the countless unsung poor in shit-hole countries flooded with old Soviet RPDs
>still used by Russia as a medium MG/marksman's round

Are you retarded?
>>
File: Untitled (21).jpg (492 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (21).jpg
492 KB, 2560x1440
Just buy both.

>>29485713
CoD tell you this?
>>
Just get both faggotron the nugget costs less than a frugal trip to the strip club.
>>
>>29485448
VEPR all day erry day.
>>
>>29485448
You posted this because you're stupid, didn't you?
>>
>>29487333
>facebook imagefile

I see someone stupid alright.
>>
>>29487336
Problem, newfag?
>>
>>29485448
The nugget literally costs less than a thousand rounds of ammo for the VEPR. Get both.
>>
>>29487343
trying too hard.
>>
O.P. here...

>>29486117
I hadn't thought of getting a few extra parts; thanks for reminding me. Also, avoid that RAS AK-47; they fall apart/break very easily and an Arsenal or DDI AK will last you much longer.

>>29486227
I find that to be very strange, I may have to pop into AK General later to ask about that but I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks for the input.

>>29487267
I wish I could buy both but I only have money for one.
>>
>>29485448

VEPRs are literally the best AKs on the market.

That's because they're not even AKs.
They're RPKs.
Made in the same factory that makes Russia's RPKs.
And RPKs are basically just more rugged and tough AKs.
>>
>>29487058
>RPD
but RPDs don't use 7.62x54R, they use 7.62x39.
>>
>>29487997
I think he meant RPKs. See the post immediately above yours.
>>
>>29486227
Vepr owner here, AFAIK, the extractor failure is an older issue that happened awhile back with a few bad batches of extractors. I'm fairly certain it's been fixed now
>>
>>29485448
Buy Vepr now, go buy cheap 91/30 or M44 beater later.
>>
>>29487997
>>29488004
Neither of those ever used 54r, pretty sure he meant the PKM.
>>
>>29485448
Clearly a both thing.
>>
>>29485448
I got the 23" wish I got the 20" I hear there's less barrel whip and its more accurate. If you get the Mosin are you getting it the Archangel or monte carlo stock?
>>
>>29488448
>shorter barrel
>more accurate
Explain further.
>>
>>29488347
This.
My situation is similar enough, have a psl and mosin.
As a non mag dumper, there's days when I enjoy either one more. Part of me really leans towards the mosin because it's so fun to operate the bolt manually. Then it's so easy to clean after corrosive since it's easy as spraying oil in both barrel ends and snaking a few times. It just lacks the cool factor of the semi auto, although I do probably have more fun shot per shot because I love operating that bolt.
And scopes aside, when it comes to irons shooting they both do the same thing down range, 3-6in. But I have a way higher potential for accuracy with the psl when I throw the scope on, I can cut that down to just above or below 1in before I get eye fatigue. Most of the time though, I'd just as soon have a lighter gun to carry so I leave it off.
>>
>>29485529
>buffer tube stock on an AK
please don't do this

also
>mosin
>brand new

anyway, from someone who owns both a 91/30 and a M44 as well as several AKs, you'll shoot the Vepr more so I'd say go for that.
>>
>>29488458
has to do with barrel harmonics.

basically, the lower the ratio of thickness to length, the more the barrel vibrates when firing. shorter barrels will vibrate less. the longer barrel will give you a little extra velocity, but it doesn't count for much
>>
>>29488481
as a giant, the wood stock on some AKs is way to small. The buffer tube stocks are sometimes the best option to make shooting more comfortable. Sort of like how some basketball players get their Lamborghinis stretched. They want to drive them, but they arent built for them. Ruins the integrity, but makes it usable.
>>
>>29488498
there are plenty of adjustable stocks out there that are actually meant to be put on an AK
>>
>>29488494
Can't you stop harmonic vibrations by clamping the midpoint of an object really fucking tight along the axis it would normally vibrate? We've got to be talking miniscule sub-harmonics here.

t. violinist
>>
>>29488687
I couldn't say either way. In theory, free-floated barrels are more accurate than ones that actually contact the forearm
>>
Does the VEPR take a standard AK rail kit or is it a special snowflake like most rifles?
>>
>>29485448
I have both, get vepr. You'll have more fun.
>>
>>29488944
what, you mean like for a side mounted rail? it's the same
>>
>>29485713
While the big rim is a bit antiquated for modern rifles, for belt-fed guns, this provides very reliable extraction, this is not a bad thing for GPMG purposes.

Also the ballistics are perfectly fine.

Russia and many other countries already have this in stock, as well as the supply chains and logistics for it, so they have no reason to switch it for something that does a similar thing.
>>
>>29487721
>I only have money for one.

Ok but we are comparing a $800 rifle and a $150 rifle. I am guessing if you buy the Vepr you aren't actually gonna shoot it since you wont have any money left. In this case by a Hi Point carbine and rest on ammo.
>>
So a mediocre at best surplus gun that looks like ass and once saturated the market vs a VEPR which isn't going to be cheaper any time soon especially with import issues and elections coming up.

Personally the VEPR seems like a much better investment to me. I liked me M44 but I really wouldn't want it to be my ONE gun. Honestly you have some good options with a $800 budget and the gap between the two you picked is pretty odd.
>>
>>29490600
Don't be a dick, choosing a gun is a big call and if those are the options thems the breaks.

Meanwhile mosins are a dime a dozen and provide lots of fun for cheap, you can even be a bastard and turn it into a DIY project, there are literally millions of them, if your more serious any collectivity and having a wall hanger or cool gun to show off the vepr definitely qualifies on the cool scale even to dicks who hate them.
Either way your gonna have a fun gun to shoot, in a caliber that'll put down most anything, if anyone argues that they are fill of shit.
>>
>>29491658
Not they guy you replied to and while agree for the most part,mosins have tripled in price in some places and the ammo has doubled. I'm mainly questioning why OP has such a gap while also considering the climate if you will.

If he's willing to drop 800 on a VEPR or completely cheap out on a mosin....

Why not spend the money on the better gun, or diversify the budget options with a mosin and a cheap pump or model 60 just in case things turn to shit.
>>
>>29485448
im not even a mosin hater and im shilling for the fucking vepr

seriously get the vepr

just get it
>>
File: molotmosinprices.png (86 KB, 960x545) Image search: [Google]
molotmosinprices.png
86 KB, 960x545
>>29491892
O.P. here; it seems a lot of you guys have this question so I think I'll take a stab at answering it. The refurbished WWII surplus Mosin from MOLOT ( who also make the VEPR ) are priced at $699.00 and the brand new ones are $899.99. I'm sure I can find their refurbished models cheaper if I don't buy directly from them ( the VEPR made by MOLOT cost less from Atlantic Firearms than they do directly from the factory being an example ). If I buy the Mosin, which I'm assuming will be around $400.00-$700.00, I'll just have that much extra to spend on ammunition right away. If I go with the VEPR I'll just be buying less ammunition. That said it seems like you all believe the VEPR is or would be more fun to shoot so I'm thinking that is what I'll go with.

That brings me to my next question: Do I go with the Standard VEPR, the rare Carbine VEPR or the tactical version of the VEPR?
>>
>>29491892
am guy you replied to. maybe OP is planning on saving up for a vper, but has the cash for a mosin now? Some shit, 'sides mosins have gone up, I saw one 4 months ago for 250 matching parts all accessories, and 100 rounds of corrosive and that was a steal. although that might be a tick in favor for the mosin, prices are going up.

But as i said if you want a cool fucking gun get the vepr, if your just looking for something to shoot beer cans with and marvel on 80+ year old hardwaare get a mosin. an extra 5-600 for coolness is a big deal, even it is really fucking cool.
>>
>>29492108
Your going for a SCOPED mosin 91/30? That makes a huge fucking difference. talk about not enoguh info
>>
>>29492153
Sorry, my bad man. xD It must have slipped my mind or something. Yes, I'm going for a scoped Mosin.
>>
>>29492211
Well in that case their both gonna be wallhangers man, if you get a mosin with a decent bore, you can be putting shots to 800+ yards easy. Its just semi-auto or bolt action at that point
>>
>>29492108
Well after rereading the OP I feel half retarded but that's how things work here sometimes, same with always assuming everyone is in the US.

I'm still voting VEPR though unless you find the mosin haunting your dreams.
>>
File: 20151210_142929.jpg (1006 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151210_142929.jpg
1006 KB, 2560x1536
>>29487721
Ive had an arsenal 106 i loved the fuck out of it but bills took my sweet love away
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.