[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking at enlisting into marine corps as a translator, info?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: dankest meme.jpg (27 KB, 458x305) Image search: [Google]
dankest meme.jpg
27 KB, 458x305
I have looked for info on a translator MOS, but i gotta know, what branch would be the best, how likely are you to be deployed overeas, the training process, what languages would you have to learn and all that

I also speak gucci french and will probs be fluent or pretty near fluent by the time I enlist
>>
>>29469391
We just hired a fucking local.

Didn't even know it was an MOS.
>>
French is almost worthless and it wouldn't even matter if you were currently fluent. When you reach Defense Language Institute the Army/USMC basically checks whatever language is needed at that moment and what language classes have free spots. I had a friend who has almost fluent in Russian and when he showed up at DLI they went "Thats cute but we need Arabic Translators enjoy learning Arabic".
>>
File: download.png (16 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
download.png
16 KB, 262x192
>>29469416
idk it exists and theres a school for it in California, do you know of any home grown ones?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>29469479
true I only mentioned it because of north africa
>>
>>29469416
In fact are you sure it even is?

Like I said we hired locals. I occasionally had to go to their hooches and search their shit to make sure they didn't have contraband. We had our sister company get busted with a lot of pot pops, the terp was smuggling it into the FOB. Didn't you notice the terp on Generation Kill was a local?

And your French won't mean Jack shit either. Learn to speak hajji dajji and you will be of value.

Also I'm not sure what they do but Linguist is an MOS. Might be what you're looking for.
>>
How many Americans speak foreign languages? The fact that you know one will be in you favour ad it shows your capable of learning. Be prepared to spend years perfecting durka durka though
>>
I was friends with a guy whose family was loyal to the shah of Iran who fled after during the revolution. He spoke fluent Farsi and went to DLA for Farsi. I have heard it is one of the most academically challenging programs DoD wide (the other being Navy Nukes). IIRC there is a test you will take in addition to the ASVAB to test your ability to learn languages. You have to score well enough to get into DLA. Obviously the priority is Arabic, Farsi, Pashtun and other Middle Eastern and Central Asian languages. I'd talk to all recruiters from all branches to see what they offer. Air Forces lives the best and has the shortest deployments. I was a Marine we are the poorest and toughest.
>>
>>29469538

I don't think any of the programs at DLA are over two years most are a year.
>>
>>29469543
did your friend get deployed or has he not graduated?
>>
>>29469479
I know Arabic and 2 dialects of kurdish.
How can I be a translator for the Marines or whatever.
>>
File: image.png (62 KB, 220x287) Image search: [Google]
image.png
62 KB, 220x287
>>29469515

Lol you fucking boots don't know that interrogator translator is a MOS with a joint service school in Monterey, CA.
>>
>>29469563

Yes he graduated and deployed but in a signals intercept Intel role not in a go on patrol with the grunts type role.
>>
>>29469567

Go see recruiter, take ASVAB, take DLPT, pass boot camp and Marine Combat Training, go to DLI. Go to fleet Marine Force. Serve the Republic, crush the enemy's of your country. Retire at 20 years and have a pension and Medical care for you are your wife the rest of your life.

I'm just a grunt but I only have 4 years till I retire. I'm 36 years old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Proficiency_Tests
>>
>>29469569
Not a boot, just wasn't a pog. I'm sure there are lots of MOS's I don't know about, or care about.

He didn't say interrogator translator, just translator. So eat shit.
>>
Don't go marine/army unless you want to be a smart guy surrounded by retards. You can't avoid it, but the other branches are not as bad.
>>
>>29469567
Assuming you are an American walk into your nearest recruiter and let him hit you with a barriage of lies and bullshit. If you were unfortunate enough to be born in the third world try this program. Look at https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Guide%20to%20Citizenship%20for%20Soldiers
>>
>>29469629

Yes only pogues know about other MOS. such a boot.
>>
>>29469621
dank m8 did they put you in afghanistan or iraq or did you sit at home for most of that time?

also i was thinking of like going for 4-6 yrs enlisted, go to college on gi bill, then coming back as an officer and going for like 20 yrs or something.

Also what civilian job are you thinking of for when you retire, i don't know of any that would use foreign language skills except like teachers
>>
>>29469632
senpai i have spent my whole life being surrounded by nigfags
but also i don't want to be put on a boat or sit in an office in San Antonio like most air force ppl
>>
>>29469671

You're a fucking idiot you double nigger.

I said there are plenty of MOS's I don't know. Not "I only know mine". The way you keep throwing boot around also..

Kill yourself.
>>
>>29469391
My father was a translator for the Army. He's an American who was an ethnic Pashtun from Afghanistan. Speaks fluent Farsi and Pashto. He went the contractor route. Wound of making six figures during the height of the Afghan war. He's still working for the Army in Georgia, but he won't say what he does. Better than enlisting, IMO.
>>
>>29469705

Better a double Nigger then a nasty ignorant 1st enlistment boot.
>>
You're going to be sitting in SCIF's all day writing up reports of tapes you listen to of Jihadists talking about scratching their balls.
>>
>>29469808
No it's not, actually. But keep saying boot to think you're trolling me and I'm mad. I've been EAS'd for five years teenager.
>>
>>29469674
I've been in Iraq or Afganistan for 5 years since 2001. Those 5 years have Usually bed. broken into 6--9 month deployments.

I will use Veterans preference to get a cushy Federal job. Work another 20 years and retire at 58 with two pensions.
>>
>>29469703
Don't worry, whatever branch you join, if you become proficient in 'sandpeople' you will be in the desert for most of you career. Fuck boats though.
>>
>>29469850
>Your 1st Sgt. is shitposting on 4 Chan

Marines on grinder, "why the fuck won't they call formation and kick us loose".
>>
>>29469884

I am a GySgt not a 1st shirt. The real reason you are standing in formation 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior is that is securing you for Libo isn't my first priority. I have shit to do and often you are are waiting me and your Company Commander to get out of a meeting. The word and shit roll down hill. If you are E-3 and be blow you will eat and shovel your fair share. That's who it was when I was a Lance Criminal too.
>>
>>29469642
>>29469621
Thanks guys.
Being born in Iraq with no plans to get out of here in the near future something like this would actually be pretty great
>>
File: 1453011606542.jpg (69 KB, 395x450) Image search: [Google]
1453011606542.jpg
69 KB, 395x450
>>29469969
>Standing around for 30 minutes a day waiting for mommy and daddy to dismiss you
LOL you Marines are so funny. Thank God I joined the Air Force. At the end of our duty day we just go home. We are treated like adults and expect to act as such.

Why would any volunteer to get treated like a child for 20 years into adulthood?
>>
>>29469969

Take a chill pill Gunny. I've been out for years and I was an e-4 in the grunts. Just making a joke.
>>
>>29470102
This, the military has a lot of dick waving tradition that is useless.
>>
>>29470108

Chill pills Corporal? You just earned your Platoon 6 hours of substances abuse and gender sensitivity training.
>>
>>29470180
>>
>>29470102

In 2000 was doing cold weather training at Eileson AFB in Fairbanks AK. The zoomies actually came outside to watch us run by in PT formation. A few took
Pictures. The chow was outstanding. The Air Force is disgusting and nasty. Calling Staff NCOs by thier first name, PT test on exercise bike. Very soft people. The chow is good though.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.