[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey y'all I'm new to ARs, quick question. I was out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_4495 - Copy.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4495 - Copy.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
Hey y'all I'm new to ARs, quick question.

I was out firing a few days ago for the first time, and the first 15 or so rounds were fine, but then it started to stick. Like I'd pull the trigger and it sounded like there was incomplete movement, like something was sticking.

Then I pulled the trigger and the round didn't fire at all. it had a small indent but didnt go anywhere.

I broke it all down and cleaned and lubed the fuck out of it, but i'm a bit worried because I've never had a gun not work on me before.

BTW I'm using federal ammo which seems to have a good reputation for reliability.
>>
>>29468977
>its the weekend
>/k/ still dead

ok then
>>
File: dun goofed.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
dun goofed.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>29468977
last try

to clarify my question, what caused it not to fire?"
>>
It was a light primer strike.
What brand/model AR do you have? And if you built it give us a basic parts list. On second thought if you built it we wouldn't really be having this thread.
>>
>>29468977
Have you popped off the upper and checked the trigger group? Have you put the bolt in the star chamber and checked it's fit?
>>
>>29469355
Did you see anything in the upper receiver, or trigger well, that could stop everything from moving properly?
When you disassembled the gun?

If the answer way yes, remove it, if the answer is no, fuct if I know what your problem is unless you broke your firing pin, KR had some carbon build up in your bolt carrier that stopped your firing pin from moving freely
>>
>>29469401
No everything looked, to my limited knowledge, how it should look. The bolt was grimy as fuck though.

It was supposedly a new sw mp15 sport 2, but I suspect it was used/ blem or something considering the insanely low price I paid for it.

I bought a premade gun because I didn't want to worry about reliability from something I built myself for the first time =/. will definitely make my next rifle
>>
>>29469400
1) yes, looks normal

2) bolt fits fine, the fuck is a star chamber?
>>
>>29469478
The bolt face where it meets the chamber. Looking from below with the lower pulled away; does it fit in and do its little 20 degree turn and lock into place?
>>
>>29469497
brb checking
>>
>>29469497
yeah looks normal
>>
>>29468977
Something is causing light primer strikes.

Make sure your hammer isn't fucked and can't move it's entire path freely, clean your BCG and bolt thoroughly, and (if you can) get a new firing pin.

If that doesn't fix it, only thing I could think of is that the trigger groups springs are too worn out and need to be replaced. Which is SERIOUSLY unlikely...
>>
Have you taken the bolt apart? You said it was grimy and you cleaned it, but did you actually break the bolt/bolt carrier down? And cleaned it?

Take the firing pin out. Is it dented/ can you see any defect?

Is there any grime insise the bolt? You should be able to have it assembled, push on the ass end on the firing pin, and see it protrude from the little hole in the bolt face.
>>
>>29469449
>>29469776

oops I meant the firing pin was grimy as fuck, not the bolt
>>
File: Firing Pin AR15-2.jpg (11 KB, 500x181) Image search: [Google]
Firing Pin AR15-2.jpg
11 KB, 500x181
>>29469800
Okay, so you probably cleaned it, and does it look like this?

No dents/burrs?
>>
>>29469842
Also, what kind of ammo were you using? It doesn't sound like it's the cartridges fault, because you said something was sticking.

But just to try and rule it out, maybe it's bad ammo with fucky primers?
>>
File: Bulgy Ak74 woodpenis.jpg (311 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
Bulgy Ak74 woodpenis.jpg
311 KB, 1382x778
>>29468977
manipulate the fire control group by hand, don't let it smack into the receiver though it might ding it. Take it off safe and let the hammer down with your hand on it slowly, then make sure it resets without issue.

If the FCG seems to be in working order, field strip the upper and see if you can find anything out of place.

Also while you have it apart, clean and lubricate everything.

If this is the first time you're firing your AR-15 you should be doing a barrel break in procedure of sorts anyway.

CLEAN THE BARREL before firing any more ammo.

Without doing the break-in procedure you won't get the same kind of longevity out of your barrel as if you had done the barrel break-in.

After a few thousand rounds you'll probably notice your groups loosening up while a barrel that had the break-in procedure done properly is still shooting tight groups.

I wouldn't worry about having fired 15 rounds, just clean it spick and span with hoppes #9 and then apply a copper remover (Hoppes makes a good one) and clean all the coppering out of the rifling too. Then shoot a few more rounds.

The explanation of why this is important is long-winded, but it has to do with smoothing over imperfections in the bore and keeping copper fouling off of them to shoot them down before applying more coppering.
>>
are you sure it was actually in battery when you pulled the trigger?

you said theres a tiny indent on the primer but thats not necessarily from a light hammer strike since just chamering a round leaves a indent on the prime
>>
>>29469924
^ this is a possibility, his new AR might be tight as fuck

shooting without lubricating the rails on the bolt carrier will grind it down enough to be loose.

But why cause excessive wear on purpose?
Clean and Lubricate the rails on the bolt carrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-qC0SaYQU
>>
>>29468977
take pictures OP
>>
>>29469911

Do you have any proof that barrel-break in is real?
>>
>>29470031
Close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXf6oZzLYaY
>>
>>29470031
>the effects of thermal, chemical, and mechanical erosion don't real guise!
>>
>>29469449

>I bought a premade gun because I didn't want to worry about reliability from something I built myself for the first time =/. will definitely make my next rifle

kek. every time i put a new part into my AR i would stand with my face and balls away from the gun before shooting it a few times in case it blew up. it still blows my mind i can buy parts from all over, put it together like a lego set and it works and a barrel i wrenched in with the receiver between my legs while sitting on my toilet. did the same thing with my new muzzle break. fucker is accurate as shit too.

off topic but do any of you fags shoot way better with irons than an optic?
>>
>>29470031
Given the choice between believing a random anon and McMillan, I'll believe the guy that actually worked in the industry.
>>
File: 1459367484402.gif (983 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1459367484402.gif
983 KB, 400x300
>>29469497
>bolt face in star chamber isn't the ar equivalent to the nugget bolt prostate massager
Well then
>>
>>29470227
barrel break in is real, because mass produced barrels that weren't lapped very well have bits of rifling break off and if you don't clean them out they will weld in place and fuck your shit up

shoot, clean, shoot, clean for break in
>>
Maybe your hammer spring is backwards.

Will cause light primer strikes too.
>>
>>29468977
UPDATE:

took her to the gravel pit today and it was smooth as butter. No sign of malfunction or problems.

I think my issue was the really cruddy firing pin. it was like completely black.

thanks y'all for your help and suggestions
>>
File: 1417392231680.jpg (36 KB, 500x426) Image search: [Google]
1417392231680.jpg
36 KB, 500x426
>>29468977
>hey y'all
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.