[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about S&W branching out beyond firearms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Fordsrefinishing.jpg (104 KB, 936x478) Image search: [Google]
Fordsrefinishing.jpg
104 KB, 936x478
What do you guys think about S&W branching out beyond firearms to the "rugged outdoors" market.

I personally fear that the more crap they produce just takes away from their focus on quality firearms. Say what you will about the M&P, but they are pretty nice, especially for their price, and their revolvers kick ass.

But I cringe when I see stuff like a S&W branded "tacticool knife," and the thought of them making outdoor gear just sounds to me like Coleman tier crap priced higher because of the brand name.
>>
>>29457862
They are a pretty big company, sure they have means and funds to do do new stuff without it affecting the rest of the production.
>>
>>29457862
I'm going to agree. Whenever a company that has historically done one thing very well, it typically doesn't end well when they try to branch out. Especially when the topic is broad, like just saying "outdoor gear."

I picture a lot of Chinese made crap with smith and wesson stamped on it like they're already doing with those shit knives you find in hardware stores.
>>
>>29457862
I don't think they make outdoor gear so much as subcontract it out to a bunch of no name chinese outfits.
>>
>>29457880
>>29457886
But to me, that just harms their reputations when you see them as making quality products in one industry and re-branded crap in another.
>>
>>29457862
they dont actually make the shit, they just sell their name to someone who thinks the S&W logo will sell their shit
>>
>>29457899
Right, but focus shifts away from guns in search of more profit. Especially when they foresee the possibility of future gun bans and want to remain profitable. That seems to be their reasoning.

It sours the brand name in my opinion.
>>
>>29457897
I agree, but it's not going to affect the quality of their firearm manufacturing.
>>
>>29457921
Not until people start correlating S&W firearms and cheap chinese outdoor crap with the same brand name.
>>
>>29457862
Terrible idea to those in the know, but it will probably make them good money. Their knives are garbage tier, but I know Smith Fans who collect anything Smith and Wesson (like people do with Coke and Disney).

Look at Sig. Their accessories are the lowest garbage tier out there, but while at the gun store one day, I watched a guy start getting really shitty with the staff because he wanted the Sig brand light/pistol grip for his converted Saiga. The staff tried to steer him toward better options in the same price category, but he got mad and insisted that he only wanted top tier SIg products.

There's one born every minute...
>>
>>29460413
lol, I love Sig and I love my P226 Legion, but there is no way in hell I'd buy a Sig lights/sights/accessories.

Seriously, I watched some guy almost buy a Sig red dot the other day when I was in my shop picking up an Aimpoint Micro. Glad he ended up going with an MRO.
>>
>>29457862
Over ten years ago I already had a S&W "tactical" watch with three different straps. Desert, olive and black. Wore the thing for a god two years everywhere until the adjustment knob fell off. I mean, the thing cost 20 bucks or so, but it was nice while it lasted and I didn't really treat it with care.
>>
http://futurenetsecurity.com/news-events/press-releases/additions-product-line/

S&W has been making all sorts of bullshit forever. At my last job we had a touchscreen security control system that operated all of the gates, automatic doors, and emergency shutdown controls for the facility, and it was all S&W stuff.
>>
>>29457862
Companies today are stretching themselves too thin. Specialization allows for higher standards while being more profitable.

Not to mention, they'd be able to afford manufacturing their products in the US.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.