[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets say we found proof of intelligent life in the universe.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: voyager distance.jpg (31 KB, 746x269) Image search: [Google]
voyager distance.jpg
31 KB, 746x269
Lets say we found proof of intelligent life in the universe. What would be our governments response military-wise? Would we see WW2 style mobilization with vastly increased military spending?

I imagine we would be spending shitloads on bio/chemical weapons as they would probably be our best bet against other lifeforms not used to them.
>>
i can imagine attacking the aliens with our military would probably be at the bottom of the list of reactions
>>
>>29453524
>I imagine we would be spending shitloads on bio/chemical weapons as they would probably be our best bet against other lifeforms not used to them.
are you retarded
>>29453549
this
>>
>>29453549
>>29453569
I didn't say attacking I said mobilization. Do you really think they would just be like "k so theres aliens" and go about their day?
>>
Go dark. Sit tight. And pray to fuck they don't realize we're here.
>>
We are more advanced than they are:
>it costs a gorillion dollars to bomb them
>little to no gain
>nothing happens

We both have a similar technological level:
>it would cost either one of us a gorillion dollars to bomb each other
>little to no gain
>sex trade explodes

They are more advanced than we are:
>they go full EXTERMINATUS on us
>>
File: 15305798.png (214 KB, 1348x1086) Image search: [Google]
15305798.png
214 KB, 1348x1086
pic related
>>
>>29453704
There is an issue with that logic, it has little to no basis in modern evolutionary thinking. Benevolence, cooperation, etc... Is considered a required facet of survival, even sometimes between species. Now, humans of course do little to cooperate with species but that also is a fairly recent development (last 8-10000 years- the birth of civ).

Now, we must not make the assumption civ is an inherent aspect of existence. Civ is only one route we might go. Realistically technology and civ are indepent in some ways and entwined in others, so perhaps they will have developed unimaginable technology that we couldn't imagine due to our entrapment in civilization. This development would be likely to result in a species that has more interest in freedom/community of planets rather than a war unless they believed we would encroach on their freedom, the way civ did to all primitive people in the past 10000 years.

Our only hope for peaceful contact with aliens is to destroy civilization.
>>
i wish human exceptionalim like in those /tg/ stories was true. it would be great if we could be some benevolent species' army with weapon development trees they never even dreamed of.
>>
>>29453629
Why the FUCK do you think aliens have been injected into the collective conscious? Simply such that our brains won't BSOD upon seeing a fucking alien.

I can't prove they exist, can't know that they do, but I believe that there's reasons behind their constant presence in media of all kinds.
>>
>>29453524
I looked at this and half expected the last dot at Alpha Centauri to say "my sides"

I need to get off this website.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.