[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to enlist, in infantry. Marines or Army?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 16
File: Bradley.jpg (91 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
Bradley.jpg
91 KB, 640x507
I want to enlist, in infantry. Marines or Army?
>>
>>29433176
Can you read? If yes, army.
>>
MUSCLES
A
REQUIREMENT
INTELLIGENCE
NOT
ESSENTIAL

or

ANOINTED
RADICAL
MISSIONARY
YOUTH

Take your pic
>>
>>29433203
What does the second one mean?
>>
>>29433187

I'd like Marines just because the propaganda makes them seem more badass, the boot camp (which is only 3 months of a 4 year enlistment) seems more challenging, but at the same time I don't want to be treated like shit and the Army seems to have better equipment and treat its personnel better. But what do I know? Can someone tell me what the difference would be and what I should know about both? Are there books explaining these things? Also, I don't want to go special forces like some tacticool faggot here will undoubtedly suggest, I'm not that special.
>>
>>29433176

Marines are more likely to see action: if you want to sit around occupying some God forsaken desert a thousand miles from home, Army is for you.
>>
Army get M16s which have burst fire and better accuracy for long range missions
Marines get M4s which are compact and can go full auto for short range missions
>>
>>29433430

OP here, it's the other way around dipshit, even I know that.
>>
File: 9YaO6Gu.jpg (16 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
9YaO6Gu.jpg
16 KB, 720x540
>>
>>29433289
>>29433433
OP, I'm going to try this again. Can you add? At all? If yes, then you are too smart for the marines.
>>
>>29433430
yeah bro you dun goofed that one....
>>
>>29433391

I thought Army units were the first in Baghdad and saw a lot of action in the last Iraq war. If I join Army will I really be just standing around as target practice for Juba?
>>
>>29433430
You are a fucking POG.
>>29433433
Marines have more pride, all their Camps look way fucking cleaner/nicer. You'll get to fuck Navy bitches/fags.
Army has CIB.
Army will also fuck you in the ass, every chance they will get. Will take your money and make you suck dick.
Both are pretty similar overall.
But 11B=CIB 0311=CAB, CABs are for POGs.
>>
>>29433441

Here you go, sir. The two points 1 and 2 have now been joined in the same set A.

>>29433462

So Army infantry is supposed to be smarter than Marine infantry? wut?
>>
File: inf.jpg (82 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
inf.jpg
82 KB, 720x540
>>29433522

Missing image
>>
>>29433519
>Army has CIB.

What's supposed to be good/bad about that?

>But 11B=CIB 0311=CAB, CABs are for POGs.

What? 0311 = Combat Assault Battalion, and then CABs are for POGs even though 0311 is infantryman? wtf?
>>
>>29433176
OP, first things first. You have to understand that most people on /k/ never served and just spout out memes.

>>29433391
>>29433430
People like this are prime examples.

You have to understand that essentially what you're asking is should you buy a Toyota or a Honda on a car enthusiast board populated by 14 year olds who don't even have a learner's permit yet.

If you are dead set on a specific career field or MOS, shop around the different branches to see what they have to offer for that field, even if they don't offer a directly comparable specialty. For example, you may want to be infantry, but after talking to a Navy recruiter about EOD or an Air Force recruiter about the para rescue pipeline have a complete change of heart, and they may be able to offer you a more desirable contract. Shop around, you're probably young with plenty of time to decide.

You shouldn't let others decide for you, if I did that my trip would be GayFag14S and the most memorable thing I would've done was shot bottle rockets at RC planes. All kidding aside, shop around and do your research, but the infantry experience doesn't vary much from Marines to Army from what I've gathered.
>>
>>29433542
11B (Army) gets CIB.
0311 MC Infantry gets CAR which is their equivalent to our CAB. Army issues CABs to non infantry MOS (POGs).

Like the other guy said, Honda/Toyota or Ford/Chevy. You are going to have good and bad times and be treated like a dog, regardless of what you pick.
>>
Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB)
Combat Action Badge (CAB)
Combat Action Ribbon (CAR)
>>
>>29433607

What do those acronyms mean?
>>
Marines get to use whatever pistols they want
Army have to use Paratta 92S pistols
>>
Navy or Air Force as you pretty much can't die in those and you will reap all the "thank you for serving" karma +money. Army and Marines if you want to be a cannon fodder
>>
>>29433176
are you already out of high school?? then you are not a priority to the Marines.I've been told by people on Terminal Lance they have a 8-10 month wait right now for 11XX contracts, IF you can get one. Also, with the draw down, good luck getting a 03XX contract. Go Army, try for an airborne option, most likely you will only get a 11X contract.
>>
>>29433607
All Marines can get CARs.
>>
File: images1.jpg (4 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images1.jpg
4 KB, 284x177
join army infantry you will be treated like a fucking greyhound they'll run you until you die or discard you when your injured and useless.
join anything else you will be widely respected and reap the benefits of military service ffs dont be intimidated about being a POG to be honest if your asking on fucking 4chan i very highly doubt you can handle a combat role!.
>>
>>29433176
Depends on the type of fighting you'd like available to you, IF you get to do it.

My advice (Former 0311) is to start watching youtube combat footage of each, and seriously use that in your search for a decision. I picked the Marine infantry for reasons, and it was as much a mistake as either branch would be.

Go to youtube and start watching.
If you think you're good enough, and you're smart, then go Marine Infantry. There are enough idiots there and they don't EVER really need more idiots. If you're not sure, go Army Infantry and enjoy the nicer life and better options available.

But seriously youtube, it will give you a better handle on the subtle differences from a combat perspective.
>>
>>29434045
LOL, it's funny how we think ya'lls shit is nicer, and you guys think it's opposite.
Anyway, 0311 are the only non 11B guys that I can actually get drunk with at a bar, and have a good time. For the most part anyway.
>>
>>29433925

I'm not only out of high school, I'm a university graduate... in computer science. I find programming and civilian life pissing me off though, I'm surrounded by beta cucks who are shocked at my opinions and interests, who shun fitness, and I'm attracted by the brotherhood and culture I perceive to be in the military. I've watched Black Friday: Dark Dawn and other documentaries on training and liked what I saw, I'm looking to get my hands on Eyes Open Eyeballs Click next. Been thinking about it since the end of last year now.
>>
>>29434120

bump
>>
>>29434120
The majority of your training is going to consist of beta faggotry now anyway. "Plz don't rape the totally equal female that falls out of every hump plz i'm begging you"
>>
>>29433441
more like this pls
>>
Man the memes are starting early today. Active duty soldier here with 8 years time in service, ask me anything.
>>
>>29434875
How many perks have you unlocked?
>>
>>29434875
thanks for you're service
>>
>>29434881
Well I'm ETSing so I'm about to unlock the GI Bill. I got sleight of hand and speed cola early on in my career.
>>
>>29434894
What killstreaks do you think will work best against ISIL?
>>
>>29434875
Is it pointless to do just straight up 11b shit during peacetime? I've been considering training seriously and going for an 18x contract (I know I know, I've got a 1 in three chance of passing sfas and that doesn't even include the sfas prep course before it) but what are your thoughts?
>>
>>29434875

Is Army boot camp as hard as Marine boot camp (from movies like Eyes Open Eyeballs Click and the Black Friday: Dark Dawn series)? Do you guys have "motivation" and cool cadences and stuff? Would you say the Army is better than the Marines? Would you recommend enlisting in the Army over the Marines? Are there mouth-breathers there? What time do you wake up and go to bed?
>>
>>29433441
>implying infantry would understand the word 'provided'
>>
>>29433391

Shoddy generalization: Army gets into just as many engagements as OOORAH, but you never hear of it because you're not supposed to blurt out every single incident like you won a competition.

>>29434120

You think you can turn that into an Electrical Engineering degree? If you do, you'll be on the path to officer and will generally find yourself in a better position than enlisting at a later age would normally give you; could always use an additional one of those who doesn't have a stick up his rear.

What everyone else is suggesting: taking a look at the Army and Marines as a whole before pidgeonholing yourself into any one role, is a good idea. What state do you live in? Texas is where you want to go if you want a wide choice of options.
>>
>>29433176
If you join the Army you can choose from a list of jobs and options, the Marines don't give you a choice. You could go into the USMC to be infantry and get made a vehicle fueler at the end of bootcamp.

Do you really want to risk spending 4 years as an armed pump jockey?
>>
>>29434924
I think it's generally accepted Marine boot is harder than Army BCT. Army BCT is pretty comparable though but it's hard to say. You'll sing cadences everywhere you go. Army's better for promotions and jobs. There's Mouthbreathers everywhere
>>
Holy fucking shit, there is so much misinformation on this board.

OP do not listen to any of these other replies.
I am a former USMC Scout Sniper.

Despite what these other retards are saying you can choose your MOS in the USMC. Just don't get tricked into going to boot camp with an "open contract". If you want infantry ensure you go 03xx.

The Army and the Marines are similar. I can only speak for the infantry side of the house here. In the Marines only like 1% of all infantry men are black, so that's a plus.

FACT: The Army has lower entry standards. Many, many, many times have we rejected candidates and told them to go visit the Army office only to see them get selected. Their base ASVAB requirement is lower. This is an absolute fact. The Marines are downsizing and are very selective on who they choose.

The Marines have an actually difficult bootcamp, in the army you will have access to your cellphone, corndogs and ice cream. Which is nice if your a fat piece of shit.

The Marine PFT is more difficult than the Army's Physical Test. Marines have to do a 3-mile run, pull-ups and crunches. The army only runs half of the distance, and does pushups instead of pull ups.

The army has newer equipment. The Marines make due. Every Marine is getting an M4 (Burst fire)

The Marine Corps has a brotherhood you will not find elsewhere, it continues even after you serve.
>>
File: 1455075220123.jpg (81 KB, 491x450) Image search: [Google]
1455075220123.jpg
81 KB, 491x450
>>29433176
>wanting to enlist in peacetime infantry
>>
>>29435551
>scout snippah Hurr

Literally stop posting kid
>>
>>29433430
This faggot don't know shit
>>
>>29434120
you can actually tell the difference between a one and a two? congratulations and get into the fucking air force, dumbass.
>>
>>29433270
Marine detected
>>
All these "hurr durr Army is smart Muhreens r dumb" comments are cracking me up. Have you people met Army enlisted infantrymen? Many of these guys got infantry because their ASVAB was too shit to do anything else. Some of them actually had to have their score WAIVED in order to enlist.

Kid, do something else. Get into tech. Are you smart enough for the 25 series? If so, do it, get some certs, get the fuck out, go to school. The infantry is an anti-intellectual cesspool.

Source: 11A
>>
>>29433915
You know there are MOS other than infantry right
>>
>>29435675
No one said the Army is smart, we are picking between two retards here
>>
>>29433176
I'd go with Marines, the uniforms are sexier.

>I'm an Army Infantry fag...
>>
Navy here; can confirm, Marines are always swooping up our females.
>>
>>29435752
Stop going after each other and fuck the females then
>>
Can anyone tell me what sections of the ASVAB a General Technical score comes from? I want to go for 0321 in the Marines but I'm not sure what i should be focusing on to qualify.
>>
>>29434894
Lucky motherfucker. I'm halfway through a 3 year contract. Can't wait to roll out of here.
>>
>>29435729
You don't like the ocp cammies? I love em
>>
>>29435551
>there is do much misinformation on this board
So why do you contribute to it? Seriously, if you know the corps and not the army why do you speak on the latter?
>in Army BCT you have access to your cellphone, ice cream and corn dogs
You DO NOT have a cellphone in basic. The Drills will watch you like a hawk at chow and the fatty cakes and fried food are there so skinny fucks can gain weight because it's all about calories

>the army runs half the distance on the PT test
Again, not even fucking true. The army runs 2 miles, the Air Force does 1.5. The time standards are different for the length.

>the marine corps has a brotherhood that continues after you serve.
So does the army and the military I'm general. I'm a member if the VFW, American Legion, Society of American Military Engineers, Combat Helicopter Pilots Association, and Warrant Officer Association of America.
>>
If you're want to be treated like shit and actually get some kind of sick, sexual pleasure from being treated worse than a criminal in prison- join the Marines.

Otherwise, go Army.
>>
>>29435806
Yeah I had an 8 year contract so I feel ya. Can't wait.
>>
>>29434924
>>29435295
He doesn't go to bed apparently
>>
>>29435844
Funny thing is I can pass a usmc pft better than an army one because of the difference in pace for the run.
>>
File: obviousbaitmate.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
obviousbaitmate.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>29433430
>>29433433
>>29433473
>>29433519
>>29435654
>Not recognizing pic related

>>29433554
Gets it.
>>
>>29435860
>when do you get up and go to sleep
When? During basic or at my actual unit? It's been almost a decade since I was in BCT but we'd have lights out around 2200 and get up about 0500 if I recall correctly. Of course you'll be doing a 1 hour shift of fire guard somewhere I there and there may be other things going on, some days it's later and some days it's earlier depending on what training is going on.
>>
>>29435799
GT score of 120
300 PFT = sub 18 min 3 mile run, 20 pullups, 100 crunches.
>>
>>29435913
>120 gt
That seems suspect. I thought 110 was the highest needed for all MOSs
>>
>>29435868
There is a difference in passing, and getting a high score. Ie 285 and above.
Running a sub 18 min 3 mile is running 3 consecutive miles at a 6 min pace.

Nice try army. M-muh muh 2 mile run is harder cause faster. De=eeerrrrppp. No.
>>
>>29435948
Nobody said it was harder, just different. we corrected you when you said it was "half of 3 miles"
>>
>>29435934
If you want contract for 0321 you will need a 300 pft and a 120 gt. Expect them do discredit 3 or so good pullups too. These are competitive scores. Im sure a shit bag recruiter will put you through at a gt of 110 and pft of 280, but you will get crushed.
>>
>>29435977
>implying a 10 point gt spread means anything
>>
>>29435948
You're really proving the dumb marine meme to be fact.
>>
>>29435989
Means the difference between being a nuke tech or not a nuke tech you fuck.
>>
>>29435051

I already graduated with a Bachelor's in Computer Science, from a Canadian university though. I am not a US citizen (Canadian and EU dual national) and don't live in the US, I'm currently in Europe, but my mom is working in the US with a green card. It's through this way that I want to enlist. I know I can't become an officer because of the citizenship requirement. I'm currently in a PhD program and looks like I will either half ass it or drop out because I hate it. In the last two years I've really gotten into fitness and obsessed with the Marine Corps but am considering the Army and Air Force as well. I don't really see any of the above as obstacles though, I just want to decide where to go. Oh I would also hate to be around majority blacks.
>>
>>29436003
>citation needed you buttblasted faggot
>>
>>29436016
What field do you want to go into?
>>
>>29433176
Army my will give you a contract that guarantees you your chosen MOS. If you get an infantry contract, you will be infantry unless you somehow fuck up along the way and get kicked out or reclassed. Idk if other branches let you pick like this.
>>
>>29436035

Either infantry or artillery, somewhere I can be effective without too much thinking. Infantry because I want to learn to execute room clears and all kinds of tacticool shit, arty because I want to blow people up from a distance and I hear that artillery is the #1 killer in wars and responsible for the most enemy casualties. If I'm wrong and it's something in the Air Force, then that.
>>
>>29436035
>>29436048
>>29436063

It really doesn't matter to me though I'll do whatever I'm told as long as it isn't more sitting behind a desk at a computer and programming.
>>
>>29436063
>>29436072
Whatever you choose I suggest pursuing a Commission.
>>
>>29436086

Why? For the money or the comforts? I don't care either way. I can't get a Commission since I'm not a US citizen - maybe after my first enlistment and I can obtain citizenship. But I'm not doing it for either, I don't want to lead people, I want the experience and to get away from this cucked society.
>>
>>29436124
>for the money or comforts
Yes. A much better quality of life in general and opportunities you simply aren't afforded while enlisted.
>>
>>29436072
Oh Jesus god then pick a good MOS the.

Join as a medical something. The army wants enlisted nurses bad, for example. One year AIT, with a civilian LVN license at the end. It's hard work and you're constantly rushing from getting shat on to doing paperwork to giving drugs. Very rewarding. Good if you're a people person. I hate people, so instead nerd out on the medical side. Deployments are rare. You work in a hospital literally side by side with civilian nurses.

You can go medic, but 50% chance that you'll also be in a hospital doing nursing assistant stuff (but, also starting IV's). All you get is an EMT cert.

Tons of programs to progress in your specialty. LVN to RN programs. PA programs. Doc programs.

Then there are lab techs, x ray techs, etc.
>>
>>29436154
I served eight years in the infantry. I did two years as a medic. Those two years in the medical field made me yearn to be a grunt the entire time. I never thought I'd miss sleeping in mud, rucking 25 miles with a land anchor or eating endless MREs and rain soaked "hot chow."
>>
>>29435948
A 285 would be what, roughly a 19:30 3 mile? A lower bottom line to pass means more shit bags tend to get through, not to mention that 100 crunches are easier than 79 sit ups (my age group). Pull ups are a bit of a wash though, 20 reps with as much time as you need vs 78 in 2 minutes, they're a bit harder to directly compare.
>>
>>29436154
>join the Army to be a pussy

I think you missed the point of joining the Army or Marines. Sleeping in the mud and rucking 40 km sounds more my thing than being a fucking male nurse faggot. A "good MOS" to me is something like 13E, something where you dial in the data for a target and then blow the shit out of it from a distance.
>>
>>29433176
Boot Grunt here ask away
>>
>>29436302

From which branch?

My first question is this:

>>29433289

Are there dumb mouth-breathers in the Marines? Will I get hazed into suicide for being a bit socially awkward?

My situation is explained here:

>>29434120
>>29436016
>>
>>29436302

Ok sorry for the stupid shit here >>29436337 earlier, disregard that. Here are some actual questions.

What do you actually do all day?

How much free time do you have?

When do you wake up and go to bed?

What's the culture like?

Are your colleagues abusive and toxic or is there camaraderie?

Can you kill a man (I would guess the answer is yes)? Does it give you confidence in your daily life? Do you interact with civvies differently as a result?
>>
>>29436302

When and how often can you expect to see combat?

Do you dread driving over an IED?
>>
>>29436378
>boot grunt
He's a fucking private. He don't know shit.
>>
>>29436302

How often and how do you PT? I've started running 3 miles every other day and I can do it in 20 minutes. Having trouble singing in cadence to it though, short of breath sometimes.

I also lift, but more to the point I'm doing pullups and can do around 11 in a set now. Gonna go bust out some pullups right now actually.
>>
>>29435551
>muhreeens
>>
>>29435844
So you were an Engineer before becoming an aviator? As someone who wants to eventually reach that position and is looking to join the army, would I have a better chance of being selected if I were a helicopter repairer/crew chief over other MOSs? Would 11B be just as good-looking in my packet? What chopper did you fly?
>>
>>29436337
>>29436367
If I'm correct, Marine boot is 3 months, plus a month of infantry school. Two months if your MOS is infantry. Army is 2 and half months.

The Army does, as a general rule, have better equipment because we have a way bigger budget. But that doesn't mean personnel are treated better. You're government property, and you're treated as such no matter what.

From what you've posted, I'm guessing you wanna go into some sort of computers field? Chair Force is really the way to go with that, as they seem to have the biggest computer science field. With a college degree, you can join the Air Force or Army as an E-4. I've heard Marines don't do that, and that everyone goes in as an E-1, but I really don't know much about the Corps.

If you're a POG, it's a lot like any other job. And just like any other job, there are plenty of assholes. But there are good people that you'll make friends with.

The question "Can you kill a man" depends on who you asked. I haven't deployed, looks like I won't for a few years, but I imagine I could. We're taught how to. As for having confidence, when I'm having a shit day, at least I can tell myself I'm in and that sorta means something. The only difference I have when it comes to dealing with civilians is that I say sir and ma'am a lot.
>>
>>29436459
Just a slight correction on first enlistments, I've heard that the chair force only let's people with bachelor's join as e3s, but I would've been able to join the af as an e4 if I did 4 years of afjrotc. Marones only allow college graduates and jrotc to join as e2, same for the navy but with e3.
>>
>>29436586
E-4 for JROTC? The Army only does E-2 for Eagle Scout, Girl Scouts, or JROTC
>>
>>29436432
>>29436432
>Society of American Military Engineers
No I had no prior experience before becoming an aviator. Now I'm an engineering student. That's just an organization open to most vets for networking and what not. Your prior MOS really has no bearing on your selection for flight school. When I came in, 1/3 were prior enlisted in aviation, 1/3 were prior enlisted in other fields and 1/3 were non prior enlisted.
>>
>>29436622
Nice. Thanks for the quick reply
>>
>>29436610
It was some years back now but a friend of mine became an af e4 right out of high school, I took the stupid route and settled for e2 in the army but the best I would've gotten is e3 for not doing all 4 years.
>>
>>29433176
Join the Air Force.
>>
They're both really poor life choices. Your military does nothing good for your country or anyone else in the world.
>>
>>29436719
Show me on the doll where they touched you.
>>
>>29436459

Thanks a lot for the reply.

>From what you've posted, I'm guessing you wanna go into some sort of computers field?

Well I have the qualifications for it but I don't want to do it since I hate my computer job. I want to do anything but that, something out in the open and more hands on and that instills in you the sense of being a badass. Not saying I want to be Rambo but not a totall desk jockey pogue either. But if 0311s spend a lot of time mopping up, cutting grass and policing parking lots (what does that mean exactly?) maybe I'd think about it some more.
>>
>>29436719
>Your military does nothing good for your country or anyone else in the world.

I really don't give a shit, I only care about it for what it means to ME.
>>
>>29436828
>policing
Picking up trash
>>
File: Apache_versus_Hind.jpg (46 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Apache_versus_Hind.jpg
46 KB, 720x405
>>29436622

I'm thinking of going Warrant Officer or Commissioned Officer. My recruiter says I have a really strong packet and both will most likely come through.

The thing that makes me nervous about the WO slot is that it looks like its more of a 8-10 year commitment as opposed to the regular Officer slot which is 3-6 year committment.

I'd just be worried I'd show up as a Warrant Officer and go "Ah shit, I don't like this... okay welp, 7 more years to go."
>>
>>29437269
It's a 6 year commitment after school, same as commissioning through ROTC. Nice pic by the way, I have that painting.
>>
>>29437286

I'm not in school though, I'd be going straight to OCS. It's a 3-year commitment after commissioning.

Or are you talking WO? In that case yeah, it's a 6 year commitment after flight school, but flight school is roughly 2 years, and then to get to WO-3 you have to add an additional 2 years to your service.
>>
>>29437312
You're talking to a WO boss. I know. Flight school isn't 2 years anymore.
>>
>>29437326

Oh awesome!

So what would the pipeline realistically look like?
>>
>>29437493
>pipeline

*sigh*

Stop using buzzwords in order to fit in.

I've been in the Army for 10 years. Guess how many times I've used the term, "pipeline?"

None.

Talk normally and you will be addressed normally.
>>
>>29437527

Ah shit, my bad I didn't even realize it was a buzzword.

So what's the... careerpath timeline look like? Just trying to get a better idea of everything before I sign on the dotted line.
>>
>>29437493
I'm not>>29437527
But from what I've heard it's 18 months or less now, it can realistically be done in just over a year depending on airframe.
>>
>>29433176
If you want to be brainwashed shock troop cannon fodder, the Marines is for you.

If you want to actually be a soldier, join the Army.
>>
>>29437567
What do you want to fly?
>>
>>29437678

If I could pick anything, it'd be an Apache.
>>
File: image.jpg (637 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
637 KB, 2048x1366
>>29437703
Hell yeah my man, it's the best around.
>>
>>29437659
Not to knock our infantry brothers in the jar head corps but yes, you're correct. They are uni-focused. The Army will provide you with expansive schools, allowing you to being multi-functional. Sniper, Airborne, LRS, Ranger, Scout, and other positions - infantry is wide open in the Army.
>>
I was thinking of becoming an army mp, anyone here have firsthand experience as one?
>>
>>29437770

How do Marines compare to Rangers? As a civvie I put Marines a step above the average soldier but below Special Forces and Rangers.
>>
>>29437800
Marine Infantry and Army Infantry are exactly the same. If there was a difference, the leadership would find out what is was then implement it into their training. The myth that the Army's infantry is one single iota different from the Marine's infantry is a complete joke.
>>
>>29437800
That's a fair general assessment, although I'd say most soldiers are on par with marines with certain units above and others below.
>>
>>29437722

Yeah it'd be pretty awesome. Do you know what a realistic career track would look like if I got accepted to the Street-to-Seat program?
>>
>>29437786
Everyone hates the MPs. Everyone. If you want no life and zero respect, become an MP. Then, after you're out, you get absolutely no consideration beyond that of any other veteran. And I'm talking cop jobs. Your MP status weighs no more than a Navy man's painting the deck status.

True story.
>>
>>29433462
>the "Marines are stupid" meme
The only people who say "Hurr durr, Marines are meatheads" are people who wouldn't last a day on the Island.
John Glenn was a marine. The first american in space was a fucking meathead wasn't he?
>>
>>29437870
It is pretty awesome. Are you talking about warrant career progression? School timelines?
>>
>>29435551
>in the army you will have access to your cellphone, corndogs and ice cream.
Alright, I'm dropping out of Marine DEP and visiting the Army next door. Thanks! :^)
>>
>>29437786
Two key points you need to know.

1) All other soldiers will at least dislike you automatically. Most will hate you by default. Not just the people doing bad shit either.

2) If you are looking for a career in law enforcement, MP isn't the best choice. Operating standards are so different between MP and LEO that most departments would rather you just have general military experience.
>>
>>29437900
If John Glenn thought he could become an astronaut faster by joining the Coast Guard, he would have. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
>>
>>29433430
This
>>
>>29437931
That's not a rebuttal at all. Are you implying John Glenn joined the marines for the sole purpose of becoming an astronaut?
>>
>>29437907

Hell I'm talking about anything! I'm a civilian who doesn't know anything. My recruiter says my packet is strong enough that if I choose the commissioned officer route or warrant officer route I have a good chance of getting picked up for either.

I posted this earlier but I was a little intimidated by the length of service required for WOs compared to regular officers.
>>
>>29437900
And the first guys on the moon were Air Force fighter pukes. Doesn't make any difference.
>>
>>29437893

>if you want no life and zero respect

Sounds like my current life

>>29437925

I don't know what is it but mp has always seemed really appealing to me, it's that or infantry. Peace time infantry has got to be shitty though
>>
>>29437999
My advice would be to stay out of combat arms right now in general. Pick something like a 35 or 25 series.

Or join the Air Force.
>>
>>29437985
It would if someone was reinforcing a stereotype about all Airmen being stupid meatheads.
>>
>>29436289
Anyone in the medical field is a thousand times more respectable and important than almost any retarded infantryman.
>>
>>29437965
Apachebro here. I'll break up my answer over a few posts. The service length you're referring to is called an ADSO or Additional Duty Service Obligation. ROTC or OCS grads incur a 3 year ADSO. Warrants incur a 6 year ADSO. Initial Flight Training is a 3 year ADSO. I'm pretty sure commissioned officers ADSOs are non concurrent, meaning they stack to 6 years, because I've never seen a commissioned aviator leave before that period, but I'll ask around.
>>
File: Sapper_daddy.jpg (32 KB, 480x853) Image search: [Google]
Sapper_daddy.jpg
32 KB, 480x853
>>29436016
>don't want to be around a majority of blacks
>>29436063
>wants to learn tacticool shit and blow people up
Boy, do I have good news for you! 12B US Army Combat Engineer is exactly what you're looking for. Kick in a door? Fuck that, blow a goddamn hole through the wall and BREACH. Hit an obstacle? No need to call anybody, because you're a fucking sapper, you've got explosives! Far more than you need probably, but hey you can never have TOO many anyway.

In all seriousness though, I did it for 8 years and loved it. The mission spectrum is vast, but almost always combat oriented. If you like being a problem solver, but still want to fuck shit up then consider it when you're shopping around. Also be aware that since the Army is switching to full time peace mode, you'll be training on a lot of old school engineer tasks like setting up/destroying obstacles, clearing/emplacing mine fields, field entrenchment and improvement, field recon (bridge, route), urban breaching, and a shit ton of other tasks that 12Bs do.

Also it's a pretty white-dominant MOS for some reason, probably because most white males in their teens like making things go boom.
>>
>>29433176
I'm signing up to go army reserve. I'm 29 and I always wanted to do it. Now I have a family and want to ensure their future. The reserves give me the chance to join and feel better about myself and still be able to look out for my family. And if full time enlistment becomes desirable I have that option.

And infantry is the real army. Since the dawn of time .
>>
>>29438076

Thanks Based Apachebro, looking forward to the coming posts!
>>
>>29433176
Sup op, former 0311 here and all my friends are we're army infantry, judging from their experiences we put up with the same bullshit they did, only difference I can makeout is the uniform, but I will say those assholes get stationed all over the world and certainly got to travel more than I did, I got stationed in jville and the only other country I got to goto was Afghanistan while those dickheads got stationed in Germany which I heard is pretty tits, they also get better equipment than we did. So I'd say go army
>>
File: TheFewTheProud.jpg (103 KB, 634x810) Image search: [Google]
TheFewTheProud.jpg
103 KB, 634x810
>>29433176
Straight? Army. Faggot? You'll be more comfortable in the Marines.
>>
>>29436016
>hate to be around majority blacks
>>29436063
>infantry

I got bad news for you
>>
>>29438026

Why?
>>
>>29438159
Things have changed a bit since I went through, but your timeline should look something like this once you get off the bus at BCT.
>Basic Combat Training: appx 10 weeks
>Warrant Officer Candidate School: appx 4-6 weeks
I'm not sure if they did away with the 6 week classes yet, but at this point congrats! You're a WO1
>Junior Officer Professional Development 3-4 weeks
Again, they may have done away with this but you'll be mixed in with lieutenants and learn about combined arms, classes of supply, etc. basic officer crap
>Dunker/Helicopter Over Water Survival Training
You'll practice ditching all types of airframes while submerged in blackout conditions, with and without heeds bottles.
>Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape C+: appx 3 weeks
>Basic Officer Leadership Course: 3-4 weeks
This used to be a 2 parter split between the beginning and end of your training. When I left it was just one course.
>Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training: 3 months
You'll go through primary flight training, instruments and basic war fighting skills.
At this point your classes Order of Merit List will come out as well as the current aircraft slots from big army. You'll select your advanced airframe here.
>Advanced airframe training: 3-6 months
Blackhawk being shortest and Apache longest.
You are now an Army Aviator.
>>
>>29438202

Thanks man, appreciate your input.
>>
>>29433176
Army. Better benefit overall is the chance for you to take some training and move into an MOS that will give you skill in the real world in your later years serving. Generally you shouldn't see combat as long as there is no president Trump. As a marine you would almost be guaranteed some front line action.
>>
>>29438295

Oh that's.... whaaaat everywhere I kept looking people were saying flight school was like 2 years!
>>
>>29438085

Hahaha, I loled at your pic. Thanks a lot for the input I really appreciate it. I guess the USMC equivalent is 0351 Assaultman?

Anyway my only question is are you ever in danger of blowing yourself up with mines?
>>
>>29438338

No, the USMC equivalent is 1371
>>
>>29438307
>skill in the real world

... why would someone want to rejoin the real world?

What makes you think that Marines are more likely to see action than Army in the coming years? Are Army units being pulled out but not Marine ones?
>>
>>29438327
Yeah see I came in during the surge so they needed pilots and the courses were just packed to the brim, so then you had huge bubbles between courses. I waited 3 or 4 months after finishing primary flight training before I started Apaches. Guys in guard and reserve units got pushed through quick because their units wanted them back or em they were deploying, they'd be through in a year. I have heard for years now they've fixed the downtime issue tho.
>>
>>29438427

So its not that bad now? Nice. Still, double the commitment time than regular officer. And don't you need to add 2 years ADSO to make WO-3?
>>
>>29438374
Marines tend to be used in small numbers as a rapid invading force. 100 Marines against 500 insurgents because they are the best. If war restarts they would be first in. If there is conflict that we offer aid to Marines would probably be used as to not look like a massive invasive force.
>>
>>29435670
underrated post
>>
>>29438495
In my first post I said I'm nearly 100% sure the obligation for warrants and commissioned aviators is nearly identical at 6 years after training.
>>
>>29438495
>>29438562
After reading some regs, Aviators are subject to a different rule. ALL AVIATORS, regardless of warrant or commissioned incur a 6 year ADSO upon completion of flight training. This is not in addition to your commissioning or appointment ADSO, so they don't stack.

tl;dr lieutenants and warrants have the same duty obligation of 6 years.
>>
>>29438562

Ah, yes because commissioned aviators get additional ADSO because of flight school.

But if I go refular commissioned Officer I wouldn't mind getting a MOS besides Aviation as long as it was Combat Arms.
>>
>>29438427
Hello ApacheBro. I'm an active duty airmen, looking into switching to the WO program for aviation. Since my start is a little different from the other guy here, how would you suggest I get my foot in the door?
>>
>>29438523
What source dI'd you get something that retarded from? 5 to one odds is hardly favorable even with armor and fires.
>>
>>29438523

You know how I know you are 16 years or younger?
>>
>>29438523

>If there is conflict that we offer aid to Marines would probably be used as to not look like a massive invasive force.

The marines being the "best" are not really the reason.

U.S. Code › Title 10 › Subtitle C › Part I › Chapter 507 › § 5063
10 U.S. Code § 5063 - United States Marine Corps: composition; functions

"and shall perform such other duties as the President may direct."
>>
>>29438635
You do you man. Just be advised combat arms are generally the most sought after. You'll get to list your top 3 then it'll be based on OML.
>>29438642
I've known a ton if prior service from other branches who have come over. 2 Air Force guys in my unit actually. They're still looking for the sand things, good test scores, good pt scores and good recommendations. I'll ask my guys what they did specifically tmrw.
>>
File: air force background.jpg (525 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
air force background.jpg
525 KB, 1920x1080
>>29436610
>>29436586

No, you get E-3 right out of basic if you have 12+ college credits/4 years of JROTC/Eagle Scout/Mitchell award in CAP. 9 gets you E-2.

No one gets E-4 right out of basic. Some careers seem to because their schools are so long (linguist, Special Operations, Weather).

Also, if you signed a 6 year contract, you automatically get E-3 6-ish months in.

Source: Is in the Air Force.
>>
>>29438765
If its any amount to perspective, I've got 1 year in, wont be applying till next year when I make E-4, I work directly with the wing commanders at the Command Post, half a bachelors. No failed tests yet; practically a boy scout. I really hope I can pass a flight physical. Anything special about that to be on the look for? Being in something not SFS, would I have to take BCT and "start" the process all over?
>>
>>29438765

>Just be advised combat arms are generally the most sought after. You'll get to list your top 3 then it'll be based on OML.

Man, I keep hearing different things about this. One day it'll be 'Unless you are a shitbag getting your MOS of choice isn't particularly difficult' then the next its 'Don't even bother going to OCS if you're hoping for Combat Arms, its next to impossible.'
>>
>>29437847
>this
anyone who has been in will realize how much a change of command can affect your unit. From small plt shit to battalion level. More importantly, some units do bs deployments and others have kinetic ones. So you will see shit units like 2/8 in the USMC with less proficiency than say 3/6. At least when they were deploying. Even within a batallion. Some companies AO are bs and another company may be gettting in firefights all the time. So experience will vary. The bs bootcamp, SOI, and later unit training isn't as important as experience. Unit training will also be much better if someone is telling you why something works or teaches you something different b/c what was trained is like a foundation. Example: 2/8 when ripping with us would buddy rush across open fields towards the enemy like it was fucking an SOI range instead of using micro terrain and support by fire positions. Cringeworthy shit.
>>
>>29438824
Sound like you're squared away man. As far as the flight physical is concerned they're just looking for blatantly disqualifying shit. Pretty sure my Air Force pals were a mechanic and a logistics guy and they didn't have to redo bct.
>>
>>29438765
You also mentioned blackhawks as the shortest to train. Any input on blackhawk vs chinook?
>>
>>29438861
OCS is way different than ROTC as far as branch selection as a lot of OCS guys were prior enlisted studs.
>>
>>29438778
Was it ever a thing to get out of basic as an e4 in the air force? I could've sworn a friend of mine did about 4 years ago but I might be mistaken.
>>
>>29438338
>Anyway my only question is are you ever in danger of blowing yourself up with mines?
I mean, it's a mine. It doesn't exactly care who it blows up. There's no real need to sweat it though, you'll have plenty of training and experience before you really have to fuck with the real deal.

Disarming mines is more of a "training skill" now anyways, we generally just blew them up if we found any overseas because they were usually stacked on top of HME or each other. The advent of IED's really changed the game as far as shit like that went, because everything was wired, daisy chained, or just nigger rigged in general. Better to just BIP and move one.

HME: Homemade Explosives
IED: Improvised Explosive Device
BIP: Blow in Place

I don't know what the MC equivalent is, I don't believe it's Assault man though. It's a kickass job though man, but don't expect any recruiter to know what the hell we actually do. Come to think of it, aside from route clearance, I don't think anybody in the Army knows what 12Bs do. They do appreciate the route clearance though.

Funny story, I almost got into a fight with an MP at the gym once because I thought he was fucking with me. He came up and stuck his hand out, "Hey man, thanks for what ya'll do," Apparently he'd been in a lot of IED strikes before dedicated RCP was a thing, and was genuinely appreciative of not shitting his pants every time he had to do a patrol. I legit almost decked him though, I thought he was being a smartass and setting me up for a joke in front of his buddies. Almost weirder that he wasn't.
>>
>>29438861
Hi. I've spent many, many years in the military, specifically, the infantry. I am familiar with the IOBC arena and all things surrounding it. Your chances of becoming combat arms are slim. You must graduate jump school and ranger school. Do that and write your ticket.
>>
>>29438374
okay first of all this guy is an idiot>>29438523

The reason is 7 month deployments. You will have units in and out more often. Means that your unit will have a more likely hood to deploy because the rotations are more numourous. Army has more units and does 13 month. So the change overs for an AO take longer and they have more units to deploy.

Army does take hold territory than USMC based on Iraq and Afghanistan. Although Helmand were USMC was had the most fighting. But this is just an exception. In Afghanistan you had army units deploying to non kinetic areas doing jack shit or taking a couple pop shots leading them to think they are hot shit and battle hardened warriors. This is true for many USMC units as well though. Ican't speak on experience from Iraq but based on what I've heard and read it seems Army did most of the work there obviously due to resources.
>>
>>29438928
As an attack guy I hate both equally. Just kidding, hooks are pretty legit. Obviously hawks get the medevac mission which is one of the best out there, as far as most meaningful. It's really just up to you man. I've known all types of pilots and have a lot of good friends who are hawk or hook guys. Did a lot of missions in country with both. The 160th 47 dudes were some of the coolest guys I've ever worked with.
>>
>>29438983
One of my Sgts told me about AF pilots that would refuse to transport bodies from Afghanistan to Germany when he was out there. I was furious. What I really want to do is medevac; I figure they are the best of the hawks and I would consider it a great honor to help those in need.
>>
>>29438983
Whats the general attitude of crew guys. Easy going, by the book, hard liners? Whats it take to stay cool at the controls?
>>
>>29435128
This is technically true, but the retention rates for infantry are abysmal. If you want to be a grunt they aren't going to tell you no.
>>
>>29438995
Yeah medevac are definitely coolest hawkbros. We had a crazy night and they did some amazing stuff.
>>
>>29438995

My squad leader went with a casualty that got medevaced. He had to hitch rides all over Iraq for 2 days to get back to our FOB.
>>
>>29439015
Crew guys are bros. When you realize that the more you freak out the worse you make it and your life is literally in your own hands, you learn to stay calm while flying.
>>
>>29434120
>Eyes Open Eyeballs Click
I have a copy. Ordered it way back in the day, the director signed the copy and wrote a thank you note for buying it. I enjoyed it.
>>
File: infantry.png (125 KB, 983x540) Image search: [Google]
infantry.png
125 KB, 983x540
>>29433441
FUCKING EASY, NEXT TEST!
>>
>>29439113

I started watching a streamed version, looks like it's the same cycle and DIs from Black Friday: Dark Dawn, like BFDD was unused footage or something. I recognize a lot of the recruits and of course there's SSgt Nichols and Sgt Martinez.
>>
>>29434875
If you can prove it how do I join army without GED or hoghschool diploma need to shoot at things and can read!
>>
>>29439147
So get a GED.
>>
>>29439145
Every Marine that's ever been to boot camp has had a Sgt. Martinez. I had a Sgt. Martinez. If OP joins USMC he will have have a Sgt. Martinez.

They are standard fucking issue.
>>
>tfw nobody wants to be a tanker
>tfw nobody on /k/ is a tankbro
>tfw 19k is not even mentioned in thread

In the tank no one can see you cry
>>
>>29439263
My dad was a tanker. I'd rather be in the sky.
>>
>>29439263
An apache is basically a tank is the air.
>>
>>29437893
Why do people hate MP why do most military branches hate each other.
>>
>>29433176
I can only speak as an manager with an HR department that likes to hire vets. So if your not going career and expect to go civilian again this might help.

Army guys get their shit done and then wait around for another task. Do it simply, well, and quickly. The individual is brainwashed out but its better than my average employee.

Marines function as well as army but still have imitative and I can leave them to manage themselves most often. I value these guys.

Navy kids are great at sitting at their desk and doing exactly what you tell them nothing more or less with zero thought. I fire these guys within 6 months. I don't what the navy does to make them so worthless.

Air force and special ops people are usually too good for the engineering and maint work I oversee so ive seen fewer than a dozen and can't real speak to the effect the training will have on you.
>>
>>29433441
just took the asvab yesterday, can confirm this

other note: i ate the crayon, no army for me
>>
>>29439169
But that cost a lot of money.
>>
>>29439304
This is the best bait I've ever seen. Well done.
>>
>>29439366
How much?
>>
>>29433441
Damn, back in my day the test was way easier.
>>
>>29439300
Not everyone grew up getting participation trophies.
>>
>>29439300
How old are you?
>>
File: air force morale.jpg (78 KB, 500x651) Image search: [Google]
air force morale.jpg
78 KB, 500x651
>>29438945
To my knowledge, no. I went to my first base with E-4's new to the blue weenie, but they were people who washed out of a job (usually Pararescue/CC/TACP or ATC) or were linguists.
>>
>>29433289
If you want decent training, join the Marines.
Marines are what you call "indestructible men" as in, their willingness to secure objectives/kill enemies is not shaken from them with fear of death. Or at least so I've heard.

If I were an American I would join the Marines.
>>
File: ooha.jpg (35 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
ooha.jpg
35 KB, 720x540
>>29433441
Where is the target sir ?
>>
File: infantry exam.jpg (51 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
infantry exam.jpg
51 KB, 720x540
>>29433441
>>
>>29433441
>Sir, I don't understand. Am I to shoot at the dots? I need a rifle not a crayon.
>>
File: Cali Gov.jpg (205 KB, 1206x499) Image search: [Google]
Cali Gov.jpg
205 KB, 1206x499
>>29438929
>>29438953

How many at OCS are prior enlisted vs civilians coming in?

I'd really be happy with Combat Engineer, Infantry, or Armor. Even with 3 choices it'd be that difficult?
>>
>>29439263

I'd like to be a tanker for reasons, but I doubt they want a 27 year old in combat arms.
>>
>>29440111
Yes they would man, I had privates in their late thirties in my platoon during the surge.

You would be a better asset than some kid since youre fully physically developed and have an adult mentality.

The older dudes usually get leadership positions much faster too.
>>
>>29440291

this dude is right
>>
>>29440291

But that was during the surge. Is it the same in 'peacetime' military?
>>
Ignore the branch war faggots.

Join the Marines if you want to go on MEUs or be a Raider eventually.

Join the Army if you want to make it a career.
>>
>>29433176
Good goy
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.