[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>soldiers: fight on land >dictionary definition of a "soldier"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: ofp.jpg (143 KB, 758x1080) Image search: [Google]
ofp.jpg
143 KB, 758x1080
>soldiers: fight on land
>dictionary definition of a "soldier" is someone who fights in a land-based armed force
>"Marines": fight on land
>"Don't you dare call me a soldier! I'm a Marine!"

What the fuck? Yeah I get it your DIs brainwashed you into thinking you're a special snowflake and so different from the Army™, but why get this autistic about this terminology when both roles are nearly identical? They are effectively soldiers who fight on land, where's the shame in saying that? To me "soldier" is just another generic term like "fighter" or "warrior". And it makes it so awkward to refer to all land-based troops with one term. "Troop" sounds retarded and it doesn't refer to one individual.
>>
It's called Esprti de Corps

Maybe if your shitty service had some you'd understand that soldier.
>>
I hate it when they do that as well. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything when I call them a solider. No need to get all pissy

Thank you for your service btw
>>
>>29428349

Still one of the best games I have ever played.

Also Marines used to fight on ships but now they don't who gives a fuck you ain't gonna change shit. Go to bed.
>>
>>29428363

I'm not a serviceman, hell I'm not even American, this just kind of puzzled me. I'm thinking about enlisting this fall though, and although Army seems like the comfier option, I have a lot of admiration for the Marines and this esprit de corps that you mention, and I do all my running and hiking to Marine Corps cadences. I don't think I could hack it in the Marines though, although I'm in shape and can more than meet the IST requirements it seems too stressful physically and since I'm in my late 20s I don't function well on low sleep.
>>
Moto bullshit.

Also, naval infantryman is a different role.

The Romans actually had their own naval legions for the specific job of naval infantry.

The Portugese Marine Corps is like 600 years old.

It's a specific job, with differences from regular soldiering.

Also, all of the services have legal titles for people in them.

Armyfags are soldiers, Marine Corps members are marines, Air Force personnel are Airmen, Navy is seamen, and Coast Guard is coastguardsmen.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rym5unx0ZCo

GET OUT

REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 200w.gif (104 KB, 200x144) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
104 KB, 200x144
Mind your pronouns shitload.
>>
>>29429855

*shitlord

Fuck, the joke is ruined
>>
>>29429867

That was pretty funny, though
>>
File: Land, Air, and Sea.jpg (332 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
Land, Air, and Sea.jpg
332 KB, 1024x577
The Marines Fight in land, Air, and Sea. They maintain their own fleet of Fighter Aircraft and Helicopters as well as maintain forces on naval boats and maintain vehicles and equipment dedicated to Amphibious Assault.

Also the reason Marines care about being called a Marine is because they are in their own separate branch of the Armed Services. They're entierly seperate from every other branch. It's the same reason a Police Officer wouldn't want to be called a Fire Fighter, or a New Yorker wouldn't want to be called a Bostonian.
>>
>>29428349
If someone gets autistic about it, they're probably not worth hanging out with.

Most professions have this problem, take a look

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+my+friends+think+i+do&client=ubuntu&hs=hl8&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAvdnut-fLAhUB7iYKHWMYAPEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=977

Eventually everyone gets over it, tired of correcting people, or they come to the realization that no one is special enough for their job to become household knowledge.
>>
>>29430834
I can't wait until space marines don't want to be called marines
>>
>>29428349
Where can i get this game?
>>
File: breaking-news (2).png (200 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news (2).png
200 KB, 640x360
>>29428363
Fuck off boot
>>
>>29428349

The Marines are a strike force employed by the Navy to secure naval strategic points or to silence coastal defenses. Turns out it is REALLY hard for a battleship to actually capture a port with its guns.

Soldiers are the premier land force of a nation. They can fight in the jungle, desert, forest, plains, arctic, mountains. If it ISNT water or air, soldiers fight on it.

The employment of Marines as essentially soldiers in the United States' most recent wars is not a testament to the actual nature of the Marine Corps.

Most of the largest and most important cities in the current day and deep into the past have been coastal cities. As such coastal defenses have been some of the most elaborate in history. The Navy is also STILL the most efficient means of transporting logistics supplies into a theater of war.

The Navy needs ports, the Navy needs infantry to capture those ports, the Navy needs Marines.

Also, it might just be an American thing but in the American military:

Navy=Sailor
Air Force=Airman
Army=Soldier
Marine corps=Marine

It doesnt matter what you think a soldier is, those are the correct terms for the US military.
>>
>>29431157

Welp, guess I want to be a soldier then. Total land dominance!

>The employment of Marines as essentially soldiers in the United States' most recent wars is not a testament to the actual nature of the Marine Corps.

Have they done anything like you described since WWII?

Also, if that's the case why was the amphibious landing at D-Day carried out by the Army? This just makes it seem more like the roles are analogous... I get what you're saying though. I get why it's important on a technical or professional level but why do they sperg out so much when average people do it or when the media celebrates "our nation's soldiers", where they use "soldier" to mean fighting men and women and not a term copyrighted by the US Army (because it hasn't been).

>>29430834
>The Marines Fight in land, Air, and Sea. They maintain their own fleet of Fighter Aircraft and Helicopters as well as maintain forces on naval boats and maintain vehicles and equipment dedicated to Amphibious Assault.

Okay. So basically "Marine" means nothing then.

>Also the reason Marines care about being called a Marine is because they are in their own separate branch of the Armed Services.

"Don't you dare call me a sailor! I'm a coast guardsman!"
"Don't you dare call me a soldier! I'm a national guardsman!"
>>
>>29429794
Lel
>>
>>29431058
Steam.It's now called Arma: Cold War Assault
>>
>>29430834
>The Marines Fight in land, Air, and Sea.
Discount Navy SEALs
>>
>>29431157
>>29432193
>>29433161
why do we have the marines again?
they just glass places and turn them into burning craters and then the army and air force have to clean it all up.
not like the marines are the strike force or power punch or anything, air superiority has won our last few wars.
>>
>>29431149
*marine
>>
>>29428400

Then you dont really understand the force

Marines = shock force meant to take shit. They also conduct amphibious assaults and have their own pilots.

Army = Occupying force meant to hold land and maybe patrol when required.

Thats not to say Army squats are purely defensive in nature or arent superior in combat to marines, but Army tends to have people of uhhh, less personal caliber.
>>
>>29432280
thanks fampai. I found the original game a long time ago in one of my grandparents storage units and played it some but i had lost the disk somehow.
>>
>>29433330

I thought in the last Iraq war Army units were the first to go into Baghdad.
>>
>>29433189
actually this very thing
force in readiness
Marines can be anywhere in the world in a matter of hours depending where the Naval vessel is
>>
>>29428349
Rivalry between units and branches of the military will sometimes help with morale as the troops try to compete and be better than the others.

Sometimes it just leads to hatred and petty rivalry causing harm to the effectiveness of the military force. You would think that during war those arguments would be less important than fighting the enemy but no...
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.