[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a crossbow legit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 450x450
Is a crossbow legit?
>>
For?
>>
Take down power?
>>
>>29427543
That Excalibur is.
>>
>>29427557
Take down power at range I mean... Say a deer at 100 yards?

What the max range of these things?
>>
>>29427543
for self defense? No.

for hunting? Depends on if your state allows it during bow season.
>>
>>29427578
Depends on the feet per second that it casts its bolt. It can have an effective range from 50yds to 400yds
>>
>>29427578
50 yrds or so for a modern crossbow
>>
>>29427591
Of a 200lber?
>>
Op can't use google
>help me I'm melting
>I am op
>>
>>29427607
Depends on the fps, nor the weight. There are 140lb xbos that shoot 400+ fps, then there are 200lb ones that only do 300fps. It all depends.
>>
>>29427629
Not* the weight
>>
>>29427629
For shits and giggles let me ask you, do you know any way to improve the projectile speed?

I have a 150lb recurve crossbow, glass fiber arms as far as I can tell, with an 11" draw. Wouldn't mind getting more speed out of her.
>>
>>29427726
Lighter projectile. 750 grains is going to be the manufacturers minimum for warranty porpoises, but if you drop down to 500 you'll be safe and probably edge out an extra 20-30fps.
>>
>>29427755
Might be on the right track then.

The 14" aluminum arrows she came with were pretty heavy, the new 16" I got are around 300 grains if my conversion is correct.

Target shooting with bodkin points, no hunting. I'd like to extend the range anyway.
>>
>>29427815
Be careful, the manufacturer probably states you should use at least 5 grains per pound of draw. Too light and you aren't getting a complete energy transfer. Meaning no gain in speed and a huge increase in parts wear.
>>
>>29428169
I'll test them out and partially fill one up with raisin or something like that for comparative testing then.
>>
>>29428321
You have a chronograph or are you going to be measuring fall comparison and crunching numbers?
>>
>>29428342
Guess I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way... stopwatch, measuring tape, and a batch of shots to get a somewhat reliable average.
>>
>>29427543
I own one, I get fap hands from having to tug the bolts out of the targets though. They go in deep and require twisting.
You're probably getting 3 shots per minute tops. But it's fun, about the recoil and sound of a .22 a little less.
>>
>>29428541
Also you need to change the string out every two years even if you don't shoot it
and if you dry fire it explodes, so don't cock it unless you're gonna shoot a bolt out
Also buy ones with a hole grip so you don't put your thumb too high. Guy who sold me mine was missing fingers and I can guess why.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.