[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting a lathe, mill, and FFL/SOT cheaper than a full auto sear?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 14
File: JCBDIAS_01.jpg (37 KB, 550x406) Image search: [Google]
JCBDIAS_01.jpg
37 KB, 550x406
Is getting a lathe, mill, and FFL/SOT cheaper than a full auto sear?
>>
Several things

1) no
2) not in the long run
3) what part on that do you think you'd run on a lathe?
>>
>>29425318
Stop fucking leaving the name on phone I fucking hate you
>>
>>29425318
i just figured that an SOT requires a working business, so i figured i'd make sears for law enforces and then keep some for myself for "Testing".
>>
>>29425347
it'd be a business.
>>
>>29425347
>SOT
>time in jail
Be a bigger retard.
>>
File: Helen-Lovejoy.jpg (7 KB, 194x250) Image search: [Google]
Helen-Lovejoy.jpg
7 KB, 194x250
>>29425347
>full auto is ILLEGAL
tell me how I know you're voting for bernie sanders
>>
>>29425365
Are you implying you won't be arrested for using an SOT for purely personal purposes?
>>
>>29425345
Good luck getting anyone to buy DIASs
No one buys that shit and especially not cops

And they don't drop into a standard AR15 reciever
It has to be cut open more
>>
>>29425390
what do you think they do? audit you? stop spreading fud.
>>
>>29425383
>>29425365
>I don't know how the NFA, Hughes Amendment and SOT's work
>>
>>29425390
You wouldn't be
They'd just take the FFL away
>>
>>29425402
it doesn't have to be the best selling business you fucking toolbag. it's not like the cost of making one of these is so massive that i'd go bankrupt. you could probably 3D sinter these things for fucks sake.
>>
>>29425406
That's exactly what they do every year you fucking idiot
>>
File: cbd.png (37 KB, 290x300) Image search: [Google]
cbd.png
37 KB, 290x300
>>29425406
>what do you think they do? audit you?
Normal FFLs? No, not at all normally. SOT's? Fuck the hell yes they do.
>>
>>29425402
>>And they don't drop into a standard AR15 receiver

that's why they're called drop in. are you really this retarded?
>>
>>29425439
Are you?
The entire bottom has to be milled out, including that shelf under your takedown pin.
>>
>>29425406
What is FFL compliance inspection
>>
>>29425431
>audit comes along
>i haven't sold anything business is hard

wow so hard.
>>
>>29425422
>3d sinter

If you want them to cost 100x what it costs to machine it normally, be infinitely worse in strength and have shit tolerance, yeah, you could
>>
>>29425457
yeah that's why spacex sinters their merlin rocket engines. because of its shit tolerance.
>>
>>29425449
There are a lot of lowers that come from the factory with a "low shelf"
>>
>>29425454
That works for literally one year before they pull your license for being a hobby not a business.
>>
>>29425457
you exaggerate the cost of a sintering laser. it's not that much higher than a CNC machine.
>>
>>29425490
>you're not a business because you aren't making a profit in the first year

you're not this stupid are you? there's a thing called startup costs and getting your foot through the door. if every business got their licenses taken away like this the economy would crash.
>>
>>29425487
Find me one faggot.
>>
>>29425511
Not making a profit is not the same as not moving a single unit anon. Stop moving the goalposts.
>>
>>29425409
Clearly you fucking don't. If he starts a business and maintains it, he can have whatever FAs he wants for R&D.
>>
>>29425521
Colt CM901, AXTS billet lowers, LWRC, etc etc... literally entire lists two seconds on Google.
>>
>>29425454
And then the agent yanks your ffl because he says "I think you're doing this for personal use"

They get free reign, fucknuts
>>
>>29425526
it is if it's a niche market. besides you say that law enforcement and military wouldn't buy these? give me one reason why they wouldn't if they're building their own guns on the side. inb4 they don't inb4 they don't have hobbies hurr durr etc.
>>
>>29425528
>implying OP has the funding, connections or even knowledge to properly design a FA firearm that doesn't infringe on a million different patents and get enough interest for the severely limited market to actually buy them
>>
>>29425462
Out of inconel
A material that has not a single attribute like steel

Fun fact: After machining, inconel plastically deforms and shrinks
>>
>>29425547
>having to modify the dimensions of a sear or reciever so that it doesn't infringe on patents

ohhhhhh nooooo how will i make this 16.000000mm dimension on the bevel 16.0000001mm? i simply don't have the knowledge.
>>
>>29425546
>would LEO/MIL buy fucking lightning links?
No they wouldn't you mouth breathing retard because they have easy access to proper FA sears and trigger groups.
>building their own guns on the side
You're literally fucking retarded aren't you? Again, why would they buy a POS DIAS when they can get the real thing and stick it in the Sheriff's personal range toy?
>>
>>29425492
And you could make a DIAS with a file

CNC or sintering is completely absurd for making DIASs
>>
>>29425553
then just make inconel sears and market it as super durable. purchase receiver kits via contracts and sell the whole gun without having to spend too much R&D time. lets get those creative juices flowing here.
>>
>>29425521
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Seekins_Precision_SP15_Forged_AR15_Lower_Receiver_p/skn-sp15lower.htm
>>
>>29425568
>lightning links

who the fuck said anything about links you dipshit?

your argument is that they have a choice so why should they have another. it's like you don't even know how markets work.
>>
>>29425575
Do you fucking have any idea what an inconel sintering machine would cost?
Do you have any idea what inconel costs?

Are you literally retarded that you can't see that you could make then INCLUDING machine time for sub $2 out of steel?
>>
>>29425547
So now it's not about the law, now he just simply isn't capable of starting a business?

BTW, buying ar-15 lowers from anderson, spike, etc and drilling the third hole constitutes constructing a machine gun. No patents or issues. Just like whiskey companies buying industrial spirits and re-distilling them to call them their own. But you probably don't know anything about that industry either. Re-branding is something that happens in literally every industry.
>>
>>29425558

CNC mills and lathes are not that accurate and the difference between infringing on a patent and not infringing on it is not a question of dimensions. Rather, it's a question of geometry.

Most mills will tell you their position up to an accuracy of .0001", though you're unlikely to manufacture anything more accurately than .0005" because of stuff like tool deflection and whatnot.
>>
>>29425605
>what does a nickel alloy cost hurr durr

dude shut up you're exaggerating so much. there's more than one grade of an alloy i know that might shock your feeble mind. and a sintering machine like i said wouldn't be more expensive than a CNC when you factor in the cost of drill bits over time.

>>29425621
you can't patent full blown geometry. that would infringe on mathematical things that courts say are open ended. i forgot the actual legal term but you have to use specific dimensions, otherwise people could just patent a rectangular billet and become a billionaire.
>>
>>29425598
>who the fuck said anything about links you dipshit?
DIAS, LL whatever, they're basically the same shit and don't duplicate a proper full auto sear.

>choices
And why would they choose OP's shitty work around to something legit that costs maybe $20 more?

>>29425558
>ohhhhhh nooooo how will i make this 16.000000mm dimension on the bevel 16.0000001mm? i simply don't have the knowledge.
That's not how patents work, at all. But if that's what you think, go right ahead and try it but don't come crying when you lose literally everything you own in the lawsuit.

>>29425620
>So now it's not about the law, now he just simply isn't capable of starting a business?
It's both. OP won't survive as a business unless he's got some fancy gimmick in mind and therefore he'll be breaking laws by operating as a hobby not a business.
>>
>>29425650
> they're basically the same shit

they're not even remotely similar. an LL can only do safe and full auto. the fact you don't know this makes the rest of your shit not even worth reading. go bite a train track.
>>
File: 1.jpg (13 KB, 235x325) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
13 KB, 235x325
>>29425643
Please kill yourself
>>
>>29425663
>both are work arounds to a real FAS
>one does it a bit better than the other
That sounds pretty fucking similar to me.
>>
>>29425650
If your business fails, you loose the license. If he owns a business, he is literally conforming to the law. As long as he is actively running the business, it's not a hobby. Liking full autos doesn't disqualify you from getting an ffl/sot. You don't need a gimick, you just need enough customers to keep the business alive. If OP is loaded, he doesn't even need to turn a profit, he can just keep funding the business with his own money.
>>
>>29425650
>that's not how it works

that's exactly how it works. you think people can patent a vague range of dimensions for a device in one patent? are you mentally disabled?
>>
>>29425643
>dude shut up you're exaggerating so much
Inconel SCRAPS for like $10 a fucking pound. Do you not know how ridiculously expensive it is?
>>
File: 1.jpg (54 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
54 KB, 640x478
>>29425643
Not even that guy but

>I JUST WENT AND GOOGLED IT AND ITS JUST AN ALLOY SO HUUURRRRRR

please play in traffic

Lorax guy is right
>>
>>29425690
If the agent thinks you're not doing enough business or that you're not doing it in earnest, he will yank your license

It's been done before
>>
>>29425703
>hurr inconel is expensive because this one grade is the only one you can get because reasons

off yourself
>>
>>29425699
titanium scraps for $30 per pound and people make whole receivers out of them. i'm trying to just make a fucking sear.
>>
File: 1458032620293.jpg (57 KB, 854x802) Image search: [Google]
1458032620293.jpg
57 KB, 854x802
>>29425695
You really fucking think you'll win a lawsuit by making a copyrighted gun .001" bigger on all dimensions? No you can't copyright a fucking brick of stock but you can most certainly copyright the shape of a complex piece of machined work and just making it a different size doesn't get around the copyright.
>>
>>29425718
Yup, but why would you think someone who takes the time to get an SOT would not at least put in the minimal amount of effort to not go to jail? Just because you are lazy, don't assume everyone else is too lazy for self-preservation.

You probably aren't the kindof person who is self-sufficient enough to start a business. Enjoy working for other people the rest of your life.
>>
File: 1.jpg (154 KB, 471x923) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
154 KB, 471x923
EVERYONE ABANDON THREAD

Some fucking idiot troll is just here to shitpost
>>
>>29425735
"just making it a different size " means it's no longer that exact complex piece, thereby circumventing that patent, otherwise competitors wouldn't exist.
>>
>>29425318
the pin.
>>
>>29425747
You don't go to jail you fucking idiot
They just yank your license
>>
>>29425734
>people make whole receivers out of them
And we call those people fucking retards, anon.
>paying $1200 for a fucking stripped lower
>>
>>29425751

Gay Dick Massacre.

Huh.
>>
File: 1.jpg (28 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
28 KB, 500x370
>>29425751
Erect schlong massacre

Fucking why
>>
you guys honestly think someone would rather spend thousands of dollars on a whole new gun instead of getting a $10 sear and putting it in their existing firearm? the fuck is wrong with you all?
>>
>>29425759
The guy I'm arguing with (you?) is the one that said OP is going to jail. I think OP will be fine and starting an SOT is a worthwile venture for any /k/ommando
>>
>>29425758
Just hacksaw and grind some pin stock
>>
All OP is doing is trying to justify making machine guns for himself and not for another government entity.

I am sure OP can message Alex on how to accomplish that, although the answer seems to be lots of money and pray the ATF doesn't just shut it down. Either way, pretty stupid.
>>
>>29425767
neva been dun befo. actually i'll call the company that. Nevabeendunbefo Armory.
>>
>>29425780
alright i'll be serious here. right now i'm just trying to rationalize fabricating a sear in minute quantities because it's the least capital while accomplishing my goal. granted i'd try to keep the license legit by selling some units, but it'd be low volume as fuck so that i can maintain a sensible budget for taxes and the SOT itself.
>>
>>29425754
>means it's no longer that exact complex piece
It doesn't have to be. If it's recognizable as being the copyrighted item then it's still protected. If it looks like the copyrighted item and functions like the copyrighted item, then it's still copyrighted.
>competitors
Competitors have to do all fucking sorts of work arounds. Why do you thing Colt was literally the only proper revolver you could buy for 30 years back in the 1800's? That's why you got random shit like pepper boxes.

>>29425771
Do you not understand that full auto sears made after '86 are 20 years, pound me in the ass prison illegal for 99.9999999999999999% of the US?
>>
File: AR lower.jpg (197 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
AR lower.jpg
197 KB, 1382x778
>>29425521
is this a low shelf?
>>
File: AR lower2.jpg (206 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
AR lower2.jpg
206 KB, 1382x778
>>29425809
>>
>>29425798

The only reason I could sears like that being moved is if you sold semi auto guns and the sears would be sold to LEOs to upgrade their rifles to select fire also for demo purposes.

Although most people who can legally obtain new class 3 machine guns would want guns that already full auto without needed alteration.
>>
>>29425809
How much space is underneath the rear retaining pin?
>>
>>29425771
>instead of getting a $10 sear and putting it in their existing firearm
Literally what is the Hughes Amendment.
>>
>>29425826
i would probably need some kind of gimmick. what would you nerds want in a new brand of sears that makes it stand out from other brands?

>>29425806
you can't really gauge similarity though. a combustion engine can be made in a variety of ways. can you claim copyright on the entire concept of combustion or a cylinder regardless of dimension? that would be madness.
>>
>>29425830
from top edge to bottom of pocket is like .625" or so.

a good 1/4" below the pin I would say
>>
>>29425848
>i would probably need some kind of gimmick. what would you nerds want in a new brand of sears that makes it stand out from other brands?

Probably 99% of the people here couldn't legally by any sears you could sell. Full autos are a very selective market, you can only sell to government buyers and overseas sales are highly regulated.

With the cost it would take to get the necessary licences and place of business (with the proper storage of class 3 guns and zoning to sell guns), it would be cheaper to probably buy a drop in auto sear registered.
>>
>>29425848
Why the fuck do you think WE would be buying these sears?
They're not legal for the average person to own
>>
>>29425848
4 position, safe semi burst auto
>>
>>29425885
damn really? even if it's just a sear?

>>29425890
nice. are there any recievers made that support those positions?
>>
>>29425848
>you can't really gauge similarity though. a combustion engine can be made in a variety of ways. can you claim copyright on the entire concept of combustion or a cylinder regardless of dimension? that would be madness.
That's different though. You can look at two different engines and see that they are clearly different. However if you take one engine and make everything in it 10% bigger, it's still the same engine. Just bigger. And thus the copyright still protects it.

So lets take a rifle bolt. Bolt A has two front lugs, is made for .308 size case rim and has one ejector.

You come along and go "this is a good design but it needs some work." So now Bolt B has four locking lugs, is made for .308 and has two ejectors on it. You also found that it being lighter improves function so there's now flutes in the bolt body. You've changed the bolt to where it is no longer identifiable as Bolt A and also functions slightly different.

Someone else had the same idea. But he goes "This is a good design. I want it in .338 instead though." So he just makes it bigger. This could be seen as copyright infringement because you've copied the design almost 1:1 save size.

Yes I know this is a massive simplification but bear with me.
>>
>>29425914
>damn really? even if it's just a sear?
Yes you retard. If a gun goes bang more than once per trigger pull, it's a machine gun and illegal unless registered before 1986 for the average joe.

Somebody post the letter of the ATF declaring a shoe string tied to an M1 carbine a machine gun.
>>
>>29425848
The gimmick should be to build an entire self contained FCG with a real auto sear that only needs the selector switch and SA pins put in. Then you drop the whole working assembly into an ar. Then you get shut down really quickly. But it'd be a fun ride.
>>
>>29425547
>full autos guns came out less than 14 years ago
>meaningful mechanical patents are still being approved
Short of using a trademarks, next to nothing is off limits for firearms. Very little new shit has been released/filed for/published in the past 15 years (it's easiest to just go by calendar years).

For example, the aa12 has been in the public domain for the past 30 years.
I'm still waiting for a nice lad to release a semi auto aa12 in 45 gov using the same dimensions for everything other than the bolt, barrel, and magazine.
And then for a legally distinct entity to sell 12g barrels, bolts, and magazines. (Because atf, and no ffl required for parts)
>>
File: 1.jpg (50 KB, 500x570) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50 KB, 500x570
>>29425914
>damn really?
>>
>>29425941
i thought only the lower receiver production has to be class 3 zoned and stored.
>>
>>29425914
>damn really? even if it's just a sear?

first off, ears are considered machine guns by the ATF. Pretty much no one here can legally own a newly made one.

Secondly, it will be hard to just sell sears to people who can already buy newly made, fully functional machine guns without modification.

Sears were used when they could be registered to make semi autos full autos for civilians when they were legal due to either companies not willing to sell civilians full autos or it is impossible to import them (past 1968 NFA revisions banning importing of class 3 for civilian purposes).
>>
>>29425965

'ears

Meant sears
>>
>>29425965
ok i concede to the zoning then.

if that's the case i may as well make a whole firearm. that's just impossible for me...
>>
>>29425809
>>29425822
okay, found my answer

you can install an accu-wedge in a low shelf lower, which I have.

So my lower is DIAS compatible, but then I would need an M16 hammer and trigger.
>>
>>29425983
wait guys i might be able to salvage this idea!

ok what if i invade the ATFs headquarters and modify their records so that nevabeendunbefo armory existed pre-ban and made x amount of sears?
>>
>>29425999
instant millionaire.
>>
OP is a fucking faggot
>>
>>29425751
Gay assholeasshole

Nice
>>
>>29426014
i assure you i am fucking no-one at the moment.

>>29426009
i wonder if anyone working at the ATF thought about modifying the records so that a serial no.3048723508172etc existed and he just fabb'd it?
>>
>>29425983
If you are cocnsidering machinery and an SOT, why not just make whole firearms? Police agencies just want m16's, buy stripped ar15 lowers, carbine length rifle sets (minus the LPK) and full auto lower parts kits. Drill one hole and assemble. Make 3-10 for small police outfits around to keep the business alive and offer them to test shoot your R&D guns like scars, WWII parts kit smg builds, FA glocks. They might buy some or you could all just enjoy that aspect of running this business.
>>
>>29426027
it's just that i'm currently in university studying physics and i'm managing a mutlimedia studio for motion design and music production. if a made a full blown armory i would have to up my daily coffee/tea dose to the dozens. i figured a sear via CNC (the sintering was just my autism flaring at the notion that it would be daunting) wouldn't be as intense. if i do go that route how viable would it be to make bulk orders of lower kits for ARs and glocks? would shortened mossbergs be a thing they'd go for? never touched WWII era smg builds before.
>>
>>29426049

CNC, and really machining as a whole, requires significant amounts of knowledge and skill to do properly. Failure to do things properly can easily result in significant damage to costly equipment, dismemberment or death. Google image search "lathe accident" with safe search off. I dare you.
>>
>>29426251
when i did woodworking and metalworking in high school, i was scared shitless by all the grinders, saws, and drills that were just exposed. the teacher would tell me "yeah i need you to make a shelf" and while i could design it, doing the cuts always made me sweat a little.

if it's anything like that, i would probably be paranoid enough to follow all precautions and procedures. CNC programming might be a bit of a pain though, although my CAD skills aren't lacking. i'm just not used to the 6D CNCs i've seen recently.
>>
>>29426049
That makes sense. I've always thought you would need to devote a lot of time to it. I expect to be in a place to start a business and run it legitimately as an sot in around 10 years. WWII SMGs are popular because pps43 parts kits are like $60 on gunbroker. Checkout weaponeer.net and weaponsguild, both have lots of good info and a bunch of sot's that run the sites.
>>
>>29426282

I wouldn't trust a machinist who wasn't at least a bit paranoid.

CNC programming is not something I would suggest doing without taking a course first, however. It's easier than you think to crash a machine.
>>
>>29425287
Have fun trying to buy a postie MG 42/MG 3 with a law letter. ATF won't allow it even if you get the love letter.
>>
>>29426368
Or he could spend less on a parts set and weld up a receiver around a jig.
>>
>>29426361
well I'd have to start by getting a CNC which is around 5-10k for one that i could program without much restriction in dimensions. out of curiousity i looked up the Aurora Titanium 3D printer that can do inconcel and it's going for like 30-40k lol. damn they sure inflated their cost projection. still i'm curious how i'd scrap or recycle the billets when i'm done.
>>
just change size enfield did it when copy webley's pistil and it was perfect legal
>>
>>29426361
Surely a mill would survive a crash?

Don't the good ones have pressure sensors on the X/Y controls these days?
>>
>>29425848
>a combustion engine can be made in a variety of ways. can you claim copyright on the entire concept of combustion or a cylinder regardless of dimension?
why don't you just admit that you you have no factual grasp on how patents actually work

>>29426729
>Surely a mill would survive a crash?
a mill doesn't explode just because you crash it
but your tooling will be fucked, which costs money
also you reduce the lifespan of the machine, which costs money
and your zeroing might be fucked, which costs you time and money
worst case you permanently damage an arbitary piece of its inner workings and have to repair it, which costs more money
>>
>>29425287
If you have to ask I doubt you have the legal/business/machining knowledge to do it successfully.
>>
>>29425751
>Dank Donkey Smasher
Fucking yes please
>>
>>29426589
I'm no machining expert but I doubt a bottom of the line 5-10k CNC machine is going to be much good for making gun parts. You need extreme tolerances. A poorly made DIAS could easily cause a runaway gun.
>>
>>29426983
And there's tens of thousands of dollars worth of tooling and such associated with it in addition to the router itself, and the cost of training.
>>
>>29425751
FUCKING TIT EXPANDER
>>
>>29425751
>Long Spaghetti Sucker
how does this thing know I'm Italian?
>>
>>29427004
well the bit and the training i'd be able to cover since i have some gundanium ones from my dad.
>>
>>29426983
>A poorly made DIAS could easily cause a runaway gun.
You can make one out of a shitty bent piece of sheet metal, a spring from a pen, and three nails and have it work fine. A messed up DIAS can't cause a runaway gun like that. It holds the hammer back until the bolt closes and then releases it. If it "breaks" by failing to engage the hammer, you'll get hammer follow like if you didn't have a DIAS but had the FA trigger kit. If it fails to release the hammer, then the trigger will fail to fire the gun, but it won't cause it to go runaway. If it fails to release the hammer, you release the trigger, and then you bump the gun causing it to release the hammer, then it will be caught by the hooks on the trigger group like normal and you won't have an AD.
>>
>>29428378
You're also wrong in that if you have a select fire trigger group (minus the auto sear), the DIAS will make it select fire. It will do nothing without a select fire trigger group because the semi-auto hammer lacks the shelf on the rear of the hammer that the DIAS would catch.

Lots of anti-knowledge ITT.
>>
>>29426983
>You need extreme tolerances
people build guns in backyard machine shops with machinery that is dozens and dozens of decades old
you're severely overestimating the required tolerances, even more so for a rudimentary mechanical piece like a drop in auto sear
>>
>>29426589
5-10k for a CNC machine...
Maybe a DIY kit that won't actually do anything but route plastics.

The bottom of the barrel CNC machines are either Haas or Tormach. 10k will get you a piece of shit Tormach that won't get you within a thousandth of an inch for tolerance nor will it have a cooling system besides air. BTW, air cooled systems are utter shit.

Nobody is going to buy a DIAS from a company that, first off, isn't ISO certified, and second, doesn't even possess a decent machine.

If you really want to get introductory equipment, get a Haas Minimill. And that shit is 35K minimum, not including the cooling system and 4th axis rotary.
>>
>>29425751
>Erect Anus Sucker

Huh
>>
>>29428497

Or SMTCL, but I'd suggest against them.
>>
just stamp out a fucking LL and mill the back of the carrier with a drill press jesus its not that hard
>>
>>29429613

Stamping is for mass production.

>milling with a drill press

I'll take "Not built for lateral strain" for 500, Alex.
>>
File: Sample-surface-finish.jpg (2 MB, 2929x2929) Image search: [Google]
Sample-surface-finish.jpg
2 MB, 2929x2929
>>29428497
35k is a bit much. an Aurora Labs sintering printer which can handle titanium and inconel goes for that much, although they're the shittiest finishes i've ever seen. feels bad. i hope they can improve.

i will check out the Haas Minimill. thanks for the advice.

in case you were wondering, this is an idea of what their printer can do for titanium. it's pretty much useless right now but i hope they're better in the future since i'm a sinterfag.
>>
File: 1335701963199.jpg (99 KB, 894x400) Image search: [Google]
1335701963199.jpg
99 KB, 894x400
>>29425751
>Top PussySmasher

I can accept this
>>
>>29425422
Why would you?
A 3D sintering machine costs hundreds of thousands

A desktop hobbyist CNC will be under 10k and used manual mills can hardly be given away
>>
>>29425751
TOP BANANA BONER! LOL!!!!!!!11!11111!!!!
>>
>>29430101
take .005 cuts and youll be fine
>>
>>29425553
>>29425462
>>29425457
>>29425422
>>29425402
>Hurr you can't laser sinter stainless steel to tight tolerances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M
>Hurr inconel is shit because it's high heat resistance and resistance to oxidization makes it great for rocket engines
>>
>>29426983
Jesus Christ, how retarded does /k/ get?
>I'm no machining expert
Then shut your fucking shitter and pick up a book instead of being libtard 2.0 the electric bugaloo

For hobby machining, it takes a 600 dollar Siege X2, 300 dollars in minor improvements, IE a belt conversion kit because the gears are plastic and a more powerful motor that can run at higher speeds. You then bolt on a 400 dollar CNC kit, hook up a 100 dollar computer you got from the near by pawn shop, download your choice of program and start fucking machining if you know how to work a CNC, which it's not all that hard to do. Its a 2 week seminar to learn how to use CNC and g code, properly. Even CAD modeling isn't that difficult, but is longer if you go to college because they also teach engineering principles, shit tons of math, as well as english and science, all for a fucking degree. If you don't want one, it takes a month to learn, investing 2 to 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, or 40 to 60 hours.

High end, industrial CNC machines don't machine to higher tolerances, they machine FASTER, REPEATEDLY, CAPABLE OF DOING SO OVER THE COURSE OF A 8 HOUR WORK DAY BEFORE NEEDING TO COOL DOWN.

It's why they're INDUSTRIAL grade, they're meant for machining shit tons of parts, really quickly, and are the absolute definition of pointless. People forget, we built rockets that bought us to the fucking moon, using forge cast metal, machined on mills and lathes, all by hand.

CNC and laser sintering is only making it easier and cheaper.

And while a laser sintering machine is fucking amazing and I'd love to have one, they're stupidly expensive, far more complex, and need to use gas mixtures in order to weld properly. But they can make really big shit, far quicker than it'd take to cast.

In almost every way, it'd be quicker and cheaper to laser sinter a m14 receiver than to machine one. Which is why SpaceX uses it, in addition to being able to weld impossible geometries.

Fucking daykare, I swear
>>
File: 1389011272156.jpg (23 KB, 343x284) Image search: [Google]
1389011272156.jpg
23 KB, 343x284
actual 07 FFL / 02 SOT here (I make silencers and integrally suppress rifles for peeps)

If you want to play with fun NFA toys save your money and buy a preban.

>Properly zoned 3000 sq ft industrial space: $12,000/yr
>80hp rotary phase converter and electrical upgrades to 400 amp service: $18,000
>Refurbished 1990s era Okuma lathe: $8,000
>Haas 4-axis mill: $45,000
>metalworking tooling and fixturing: ~$5,000 initial investment, ~$3,000/year

tons of misc expenses too, don't forget the SOT and ITAR registration. Massive safe storage, security system, office furnishings, etc etc etc for days. Cost me like a cool $100k investment all told.

It took 5 years for me to make my first cent past recouping initial investment. I had to be profitable (annual cost < annual income) by my 3rd year of business to avoid hobby loss rule triggering and getting buttraped by the IRS.

I have one (1) FA lower, which I use to test/proof cans for a FA rating and show off to police departments.

Police are not interested in your shitty cobbled-together DIAS. They want mil-spec FA fire control groups inside mil-spec lowers. If you tell the ATF during the interview for your FFL that you're sintering fucky DIAS for local cops they'll laugh all the way back to the office to stamp DENIED on your application.

I was a machinist for fifteen years before starting this. I have a mechanical engineering degree. I live (against code) on a futon in the office. I don't own a home. I sold my house and spent my parents' estate to fund my startup. Not going to give more details than that, I'm fucking scared someone on here will recognize me from what I've said so far.

TLDR if you want full auto just buy a fucking preban

or get a fucking bump fire stock.
>>
>>29425287
if you cant do the time, dont do the crime
>>
>>29431177
>Its a 2 week seminar to learn how to use CNC and g code, properly.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Learning what the codes mean is not even remotely the same thing as learning how to use them safely and according to best practices.
>>
>>29425999
you make the sear so it can be used as something else, then you have plausible deniability. its not a full auto sear, its a widget for holding index cards. not your fault if people pop it in their ar15 and use it as a full auto sear.
>>
>>29427825
dago wop wop wop
>>
>>29425345
If you have an SOT, all you'd need is a halfway decent drill press and a good fixture to drill the third pin hole for both AR's and AK's.

Then you simply buy a bunch of the OEM full auto trigger parts that are commonly available on the internet for $60-100 and install them.
>>
>>29431257
You're doing the /k/ube's work anon. May the /k/ube provide you with many customers and wealth, may he keep the ATF away and your pets safe.
>>
>>29431299
oh please. if cnc was hard, drunkards and stoners couldnt do it. have you ever been in a machine shop?
>>
>>29431425

I've done work in both machine shops and engineering departments. My last job had me running in between the two constantly.

Trust me when I say there is a HUGE difference between an operator and a programmer.
>>
>>29431257
How is sintering cobbled when its more expensive than cnc?
>>
>>29431743
right. the operators are drunkards and the programmers are stoners.
>>
>>29431969
Users are button pushers.

Setup men and programmers sometimes use coke and weed respectively, but are almost never habitual.
>>
ITT kids just waking up and realizing that patent/copyright law is really fucking convoluted and obscure.
>>
>>29431743
Oh no, not writing g code!

Why it's about as difficult as getting your A+ certification for IT!

IE its a shit ton of easy reading!

What ever will the hobbyist machinist do?
>>
>>29435389

Do whatever you want, Anon. If you crash your machine(s), it's no skin off my back.

Learning what G76 means and being able to actually cut the thread properly aren't the same thing.

If you just handed it to some hobbyist who doesn't know what he's doing, you'll probably end up with him not knowing how far the canned cycle will move beyond the threaded portion and crash right into the next face or some shit.

We're talking about code with lots of legacy shit in it. There's nuance that you wouldn't know.

Hell, the reason M30 was created was to tell the fancier machines of the time to rewind the spool of perforated tape that contains the program when ending the program.

Here's a great video from Remington that shows old-school CNC mills from back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIb20fDTY4
>>
>>29435529
And it's still no different than getting your A+ certification, it just takes a shit ton of reading, same if you were to take up coding to learn C, C++ or Python.

And if nothing else, fucking use Cutviewer. Everybody I talked to who went into CAD to get their basics in Mech Engineering Tech all learned CAD, Cutviewer and a whole slew of programs that anybody could use to learn how to g code, from scratch, without destroying their machine.

This is why the demand for drafters has dropped, because it's not that hard to learn, so much so that you can tack it onto CAD degrees or fucking Engineering Technician degrees.

That's ignoring the fact that because of laser sintering and 3D printers exploding, as well as CNC machines becoming stupidly cheap as opposed to what they were 15 years ago, there is a strong desire to phase out g code legacy entirely or at least make a user friendly GUI that'd give better user access, as well as ways to automate the coding process, the same exact thing that happened to CAD before people got sick of programming shit into a XYZ axis.
>>
>>29435637

Believe whatever you want, Anon.

Though I find it hilarious when you're talking about making a user-friendly GUI, because people have been using CAM software for just that since the early 80's. Hell, if you use SolidWorks, you can just use a plugin to do it.

Oh, and 3D printers function off of G code, buddy.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.