[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How well would a sword work for scaring away home invaders? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: SH2365-920-1.jpg (32 KB, 920x520) Image search: [Google]
SH2365-920-1.jpg
32 KB, 920x520
How well would a sword work for scaring away home invaders? I live in Europe, so not many have guns here.
>>
>>29417162
They would just shoot you.
>>
>>29417162
depends on if they are armed and what with. junkie with a steak knife? hes out of there. dedicated robber with a gun? probably not
>>
>>29417162
Sorry, no; the only thing that scares away home invaders is the death of one or more of their own, your willingness to actually use whatever weapon you have.
This being a big step away from the usual nanny state mindset, you might want to consider starting with a good dog, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 800x697) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 800x697
>be me, 22 year old yuropoor kebab
>radicalcuck family never works, so we never have food
>decide to try robbing some poor cuck's house for some quick cash
>see one house with lights off
>targetacquired.gif
>try door, but it's locked
>mfw made in France
>blow on it, door swings open
>look around, nobody home
>begin working, throwing any obviously valuable shit in backpack
>get to back room, looks like an office or something
>mfw 500lb greasy blob of heart disease turns around in swivel chair at desk
>ohfuck.wav
>greaseball stands up surprisingly quickly and reaches for authentic replica Elven sword from lotr handing on wall
>greaseball points sword at me and says something in some weird language
>pull out tactical defense butterknife I had found in a dumpster
>lunge forward and start stabbing frantically
>mobydick.jpg
>cuts do nothing, spaghetti is spilling from the wounds but the beast won't go down
>lvl99 ogre slashes back, decapicating me with one blow
>I am kill
>>
>>29417162
Fairly well. Most robbers will run when confronted, even more when confronted with a weapon of some sort. However, not all will do so. In that situation, a properly made sword could save your life, especially if you know how to use it. Just remember that you'd probably be fighting inside, so get something relatively short.
>>
>>29417538
This. Gladius senpai
>>
>>29417162
Get a fucking gun you faggot.
>>
>>29417162

Probably not: If you're going to keep it in your house for home defense, >>29417866 is perfectly reasonable and possible.
>>
>>29417162
technically a knife so gotta bin it
>>
>>29417538
>>29417825
Basically, find something sharp and pointy you like, if it sticks in the roof when you swing it over your head, its not a good choice.
The old Gladius was practically made for close in fighting like a rugby scrum with more stabbing. Controlling stuff like doorways and hallways are generally the best places to fight from, unless of course someone is shooting at you, in which case the nearest exit and getting the fuck out is a better option.
>>
I knew a guy who did SCA weapons demos back in the 90s and lived in the craphole part of town. He suggests a bearded axe instead of a sword for midnight visitors.
>>
>>29417162
Just rack the slide, it will scare them off
>>
>>29419591
I disagree entirely with that. He's an SCA guy, more concerned about weapon impact than anything else. Swords work better in this close in unarmored target. And they've got a pointy bit.
>>
just get a machete or some short sword. better yet invest in really good locks and bars for your windows
>>
>>29417162
just buy a gun from the black market then and say it was the home invaders if it ever comes to that
>>
It's happened before

A man had his house broken into by another guy with some sort of club

He grabbed a 1796 cavalry sabre
Used it to fight off his attacker, who saw the sword, ran a bit, then turned around and charged him

The guy with the sabre didn't get in any trouble and didn't have the sword taken or anything
>>
>>29417162
>I live in Europe, so not many have guns here.
Correction: not so many law abiding people have guns there - nordicks, swiss, austrians and balkan folk being the greatest exception to the rule.

Why are you willing to bet your life on the home invader not being equipped with a firearm? Better safe than sorry, kiddo. Just get yourself a legal shotgun or illegal pistol/rifle - unless you are a Bong, I see no reason to fear eventual (in case you have to use the weapon) excessive punishment brought on by gun charges.

TLDR; grow a pair of balls.
>>
>>29419591
So long the weapon is sharp, people die and lose control from small nick of cut wounds.
So with a sword, you nick them a little in arms or torso, or do a proper stab.
With a axe, you will only do better if they are wearing stab resistant clothing. Even then, anything that can stab will deal properly with knife resistant clothes.

>>29423222
Also this. Europa = Hunting weapons EVERYWHERE. At the least outside of city cores, where urbanites live.
>>
>>29417162
There was this story of this argentinese guy, in his forties, hacked through three invaders who were armed with guns and he only had some kind of lame katana like weapon. So, it probably won't scare them... until you start cutting.

People nowadays aren't accustomed to sword wounds, they can be pretty terrifying to see, cutting people will make their friends running away.

I'd advise something one-handed and short like a gladius, messer or cutlass-like sabre, especially those last two.
>>
>>29417162
I would say dagger and some short sword, make use of corners and surprise the assailant.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.