[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, anyone here own a Berthier carbine? I'm looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Hey /k/, anyone here own a Berthier carbine? I'm looking to add one to my milsurp collection, but don't know much about them. What's an average price for one? What should I look for? What to avoid?
>>
>>29404029
200-300 seems to be the average going rate. Mine is a 1892 made in 1910. Got it for $250. Ammo is expensive thou so reload.

Nothing important to look for from what I've seen. Just make sure it's in good shape and original caliber.

The 1916 model has the rear sling swivel on the ride side of the stock and a top handguard, this verison also has the 5 shot magazine. The 1892, 1907 rifle and rest have the rear sling swivel on the bottom. No handguard and 3 shot capacity. Other minor differences too but those are the big ones that come to mind.

Big thing is that you may find 1892s and 1907s converted to 5 shot magazines with their markings restamped to 1916s or something along those lines. This isn't a bubba, as the French upgraded all their old arms to the 5 shot mag. Hell, you can probably even buy a 3 shot or 5 shot trigger assembly, dissemble the gun and replace the one in there to your desired configuration if it suits you.

Not all carbines and rifles were made with stacking pins, so don't worry if yours don't have one.

Yours probably won't have the cleaning rod with it, originals are expensive and hard to find. But you can find great reproductions online for about $75.

Clips cost like $30 a piece on libertytreecollectors. Don't expect to find repros.

The guns are cheap because everything else about them is very expensive.
>>
>>29404218
Thanks. Is it true you can only shoot modern ammo out of ones marked with a "N" on the barrel and receiver?
>>
>>29404029
Here's a good site with info on the berthiers and french guns.

http://www.virdea.net/french/berthier.html#clip
>>
>>29404253
Correct
>>
>>29404253
There should be modern ammo made as both balle D and Ballenger N. But I'd advise Reloading anyway for this gun, unless your only in it for collecting.

Get it checked by a good gunsmith
>>
>>29404486
Balle*

fucking shitty fuck Autocorrect bullshit
>>
>>29404029

I dunno, but holy shit, it looks sexy as fuck.
>>
>>29404029
It looks like the Mosin had a failed abortion.
>>
>>29404871

Fuck you, it looks great.
>>
File: IMG_1475.jpg (368 KB, 1526x356) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1475.jpg
368 KB, 1526x356
>>29404218
>The 1916 model has the rear sling swivel on the ride side of the stock and a top handguard, this verison also has the 5 shot magazine. The 1892, 1907 rifle and rest have the rear sling swivel on the bottom. No handguard and 3 shot capacity. Other minor differences too but those are the big ones that come to mind.

Later M1892s had the sling swivel on the left. A lot of the earlier ones were converted too.

>Big thing is that you may find 1892s and 1907s converted to 5 shot magazines with their markings restamped to 1916s or something along those lines. This isn't a bubba, as the French upgraded all their old arms to the 5 shot mag.

Most will not be remarked.

>Not all carbines and rifles were made with stacking pins, so don't worry if yours don't have one.

None were made with stacking rods. Those were added in the post WWI rebuilds.

>Yours probably won't have the cleaning rod with it

It's actually a clearing rod. It was meant for popping out stuck cases. It also doubled as a stacking rod. When they removed the clearing rods they added a stacking rod to the front band.

>>29404253
"N" marked guns can shoot commercial ammo. Same goes for the ones not marked. The ones that aren't marked commercial ammo just can't shoot surplus 8mm as nearly all of that is unsafe for unconverted guns.
>>
>>29404350
>>29404486
All other things equal, will a Balle N or D lebel or Berthier be worth more?
Can a balle N rifle shoot balle D?
>>
File: french flag.jpg (161 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
french flag.jpg
161 KB, 1280x853
>>29404029
Don't forget the appropriate accessories.
>>
>>29404909
>All other things equal, will a Balle N or D lebel or Berthier be worth more?
In general the one that hasn't been converted would be worth more as they were converted in the 30s.
>Can a balle N rifle shoot balle D?

Yes. They were converted just so bad things didn't happen if they did shoot that ammo. That ammo was intended for machine guns.
>>
>>29404882
>Can't think of a real comeback
>"Fuck you"
>>
>>29405024

Well, it's a subjective subject. But hey, I'll give it another shot.

The rifle is pretty aesthetically pleasing, but perhaps it's from a certain point of view. For starters, the wood stock shown in the picture looks very well maintained, and the metal parts (especially the bolt and screws) look great, considering it's a rifle made around 100 years ago. Speaking of the bolt, I fucking love it. The bent handle allows for a scope mount (if there even is a stock scope mount for it) and the bolt seems to have more than enough space to comfortably clear out a jam.

Besides, look at it. Look at the detail near the end of the wood stock, where you only hae a small strip of wood on the top and exposes the top of the barrel. Plus, it's a carbine, which make it even sexier, in my humble opinion.

How's that for a comeback?
>>
File: 478371155.jpg (267 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
478371155.jpg
267 KB, 1024x683
>>29405163
That's better senpai
>>
>>29405298

Thanks, fham
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.