[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always wonder what theses things are. Are they smoke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 95769x34.png (278 KB, 813x560) Image search: [Google]
95769x34.png
278 KB, 813x560
I've always wonder what theses things are.

Are they smoke launchers or something like that. What purpose do they serve?
>>
>>29398800
they're smoke launchers

They provide concealment
>>
>>29398800
>are they smoke launchers
Yes.
>>
>>29398800
Rave lights. Its a morale thing and for recruitment brochures, most of them aren't actually wired in and are just for show.
>>
>>29398800
Countermeasure smoke discharges.

They just pop smoke infront of the vehicle while the engine does this cool thing as it mixes some chemical with shit in the engine to discharge a longer lasting set of smoke for retreat.
>>
>>29398829
Well. That pretty much answers any questions i had about this.

Thanks!
>>
I always thought they were flechette launchers?
>>
>>29398800
Butt plug storage cannisters. Sometimes plugs are launched to confuse and terrify the enemy.
>>
>>29398829
That engine smoke comes only from diesels and since the Abrams is powered by a terrifyingly hot turbine.....
>>
>>29398800
tose are noobtubes
>>
>>29398857
>op's pic
>Abrams
>>
>>29398857
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYvmTnIFlU
>>
>>29398800
Some of them can also be fitted with anti-personal grenades instead of smoke, in case some fuckers get too close.
>>
it's just sad that we tend to have this thread each year.
>>
>>29398857
you can inject oil into the exhaust of a turbine and make smoke
>>
File: white_phosphorus_gaza_ap.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
white_phosphorus_gaza_ap.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>29399224
>anti-personal grenades
you mean willy pete
>>
>>29398829
>the engine does this cool thing as it mixes some chemical with shit in the engine to discharge a longer lasting set of smoke for retreat.
From an engineering standpoint that's an incredibly complex solution to a rather simple problem. I'm not saying that no tanks do it that way (I actually don't know, so I can't rule it out), but a system like that would introduce multiple points of failiure, and offer very little control over the process.

The smoke screen on a chally is done by spraying a fine mist of diesel directly on to the radiator. There are no extra chemicals to carry. You're not putting anything unusual in to the engine, which means that you don't get ten years down the line and find that you have to change every injector on every engine, or that all your exhaust manifolds are corroded. The whole system consists of a pipe coming from the high pressure fuel ine, an electronic valve, a nozzle and a switch, so the cost is negligable. It only has one moving part, so there is very little that can go wrong with it and it's incredibly simple to service. The best part (from an engineering standpoint) is that it requires no preperation (no mixing/measuring of chemicals), no additional logistics (you were going to put diesel in it anyway, and the smoke generator draws from the main fuel tank rather than having it's own) and no extra training (you don't have to budget for teaching materials, instruction labels, or training time other than telling everyone "press the button that says "SMOKE" on it to make it go, press it again to make it stop").
>>
File: 1458355194864.png (120 KB, 498x377) Image search: [Google]
1458355194864.png
120 KB, 498x377
>>29398800
>>
File: M16A2.jpg (878 KB, 1920x1399) Image search: [Google]
M16A2.jpg
878 KB, 1920x1399
>>29399582

This handy diagram will answer that question for you.
>>
>>29399582
That's a high capacity assault clip
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.