[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>went shooting yesterday for the very first time in my life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: 8.jpg (17 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
17 KB, 852x480
>went shooting yesterday for the very first time in my life
>instructor told me to keep both of my eyes open
>couldnt hit shit, i wouldve done better blindfolded
>had to finish with one of my eyes closed

How do you do it /k/?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>29397107
>>
>>29397107
your instructor is a dumbass

the only people who train to shoot with both eyes open are tacticool faggots who think they are going to get in a firefight where their eye gets shot out

just look down the sight like a normal person if it gets shots on target better
>>
>>29397136
>I cant do x, therefore x is bad and unnecessary.
>>
>>29397136
what the fuck am I reading
>>
>>29397107
An instructor trying to make someone completely new aim with both eyes open is like teaching someone who's never threw a basketball to shoot from the three point line.

He might have thought he was saving you from a "bad habit", but in reality he was just being a shitty instructor. Being like that can scare new shooters away from the sport.

>>29397148
Did you somehow actually miss his point?
>>
File: 1315502507593.png (62 KB, 1500x1298) Image search: [Google]
1315502507593.png
62 KB, 1500x1298
>>29397107
You need to keep both eyes open. Or else you're going to seriously fuck up your accuracy when dual wielding as you need to train each eye to each hand independently.
>>
>>29397181
>He might have thought he was saving you from a "bad habit"

Those were exactly his words.

>>29397185
>Or else you're going to seriously fuck up your accuracy when dual wielding
is that a thing? I thought it was just a video game thing
>>
>>29397107

I shoot with both eyes open just as easily as with one eye closed.
But from what I understand, most people don't.
>>
both eyes open with scopes. gotta close one for irons.
>>
>>29397107
If it was a serious issue, you may be cross eye dominant and may need to learn to shoot with your non-dominant hand as primary. If you're right handed, you naturally bring the firearm up to be in line with your right eye. This isn't an issue if you close your left eye for obvious reasons. Now if you are right hand dominant yet left eye dominant, you are bringing the firearm up to your right eye, but your brain is trying to project the image coming from your left eye, which is going to result in a confusing double image. Try training around it by either bringing the firearm up to your left eye, or learning to shoot left handed. Your instructor is right about learning to shoot with both eyes open, it's the way to go for a multitude of reasons. Surprised he didn't think of the cross dominant issue though, it's fairly common.
>>
>>29397107
Did the guy ask you about your hand/eye dominance?
>>
>>29397224

It is a video game thing, he's fucking with you. You can't "train each eye to each hand independently", that would just leave you looking like a walleyed retard. Which, to be fair, you legitimately would have to be in order to try it.
>>
I went shooting today for the first time as well OP. Range officer showed me how to carry the rifle (pointing at the ceiling to avoid flagging people.) to and from the bench, buddies showed me how to shoot it (dominant eye open, other eye closed, aim crosshairs where you need to shoot, breathe in deep, breathe out halfway, hold, aim and exhale as you squeeze).

Got decent groupings, had a fuckload of fun.
>>
The only time the both eyes thing matters is in the military. Who fucking cares at the range it makes no difference. It only matters when there isnt just one target and you have to be scanning.

My whole time in the military id have both eyes open for UA exercises and one eye shut for weapons quals.
>>
>>29397107
Had a similar issue. Couldn't shoot open eyed right handed but can't properly shoulder or aim left handed but aiming open eye doesn't give me double vision.
Its some bullshit mixed laterality between hands and eyes OP. You might be right handed but your left eye is favored.
Easiest fix and a godsend to me:
>buy some cheap sunglasses though this works for prescription glasses as well
>cut out paper in the shape of the lens
>1for sunglasses 2 for prescript
>glue paper to the inside left lens of sunglasses or put paper on either side of left prescript lens and tape them to avoid smears and shit
>go shoot but keep both eyes open
>make them nice long trips to get the most out of this
>after maybe 5-6 trips take off the glasses towards the end or remove paper
warning this will give headaches
>your vision will attempt to correct itself back to left eye favored
>try your damnedest to keep shit in focus and not double imaged
>after a short bit it will change back to your norm
>do this every trip from now on
>you'll eventually get the hang of keeping shit right eye favored
>once you get that start taking the blinder off earlier and earlier
Sounds complicated i know but try it for a bit and you'll notice the difference. I don't even need the blinder to switch eyes now just from halfassed practicing sitting at home.
Never tried or even heard about this one but friend vouches for it but claimed big headaches first few times as well
>hold hand at arms length
>make an O with thumb and index
>aim at some point on the wall thats contrasting
friend used a sharpie mark above his TV on his white wall for it
>once the dots in the center close one eye then the other
>which ever one has the dot in the O is your dominant
>now close your dominant eye and put the mark in the O again by moving your arm
>open both eyes
>try for as long as possible to fend off double vision and keep the dot in focus
>>
>>29397107
There should be no reason to close one eye to aim, you may be cross eye dominant.

Both eyes open.
>>
>>29397107
It's generally not a good idea to start with both eyes open, it takes some getting used to and is not even necessary or beneficial unless you want to have a wider field of view (so pretty damn important in combat, but no so much in target shooting).

Your instructor sounds like a tryhard tacticool retard, especially if it was your first time.

If you do want to learn how to shoot with both eyes open, I recommend you start with only one eye, and once you get your sight picture right, open the other one. That's how I learned it.
>>
This thread is bringing back memories of that godawful Apache movie with Nicolas Cage.
>>
>>29397107
if i did that bad my first time id probably quit right off. you might wannt find a different hobbie? honest we dont need no skill dangerous shooters out there we need competant ones. maybe take up nitting lol wnter will be here soon
>>
>>29397633
I'm cross eye dominant and it is seriously a non-issue for me. With handguns I just turn my head a little to line up my left eye. With my rifle it actually benefits me, because my left eye lets me see more space in front of me, just with the dot projected over it. same goes for shotguns. Point shooting is 2ez.
>>
File: BCTVZvxGrkY.jpg (354 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
BCTVZvxGrkY.jpg
354 KB, 640x640
>>29397107
Shot with one eye closed from the time I was ten till I turned 21 and got a concealed carry permit, that is when a trainer told me to do it just so I found have a better field of view and so your nondominant eye can see the whole target without obstruction of a gun. I say unless you are shooting defensively, do whatever is most comfortable. Having both eyes open and looking at the front sight makes for two sight pictures and it can be hard to focus. It took me a couple trips to the range to get used to it, but now I do it without thinking.
>>
A bigger thing for me was keeping my eyes open. Now I can literally see the muzzle flash and the brass leaving the ejection port sometimes. Helped my accuracy to. Took me awhile to achieve though.
>>
>>29397107

Both eyes open only works if you're aiming with the dominant eye. I suck at keeping both eyes open because I'm left eye dominant but prefer right hand because comfort. At least that's what I was taught.
>>
I can do pistols with both eyes, it's rifles that I need to close one with
>>
>first time shooting
>do better with pistol than with a scoped rifle

???????????
>>
Do they make you shoot with both eyes open in the military? No exceptions?
>>
I shoot shotguns with both eyes open and rifles with my dominant eye only.
Is this wrong?
>>
File: 1458581447149.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1458581447149.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>29397136
>these people exist
>>
>>29397107
Aim how you want to aim, man. If you find one eye aiming easier, do that.

If you really want to do both eyes open, get a pair of safety glasses and put electrical tape over the middle of the lens on your non dominant side. Start that way.
>>
>>29399189
They recommend it. Both eyes open allows you to shoot with the lid down, so your scope cant be spotted, you dont get tunnel vision as easily, you get a better overview.

For OP's case, I'd recommend shooting one eyed, then move to both eyes open when he's comfy shooting.
>>
I talked with a guy in the Canadian Forces, he said that no one really cared how you shot as long as you were on target. He also said he shot with both eyes open, unless it night. If it was dark he'd close one eye so he wouldn't lose his night eyes from the C9 muzzle flash.
>>
>>29397107
I just focus with my right eye on the front sight and squeeze the trigger, then my gun goes "BANG!" and there's a hole in the piece of paper in front of me right where I was aiming.
>>
You can't really see irons in the blurry transparent outline you get when you have both eyes opened and half focussed. You can however easily see a red dot or scope reticle. It's really up to you how you want to do it, no way is the right way but what works better for you, and you won't know unless you extensively try both.
>>
>not shooting with your third eye open
>>
>>29397633
>tfw have a lazy right eye
>tfw if I close my left eye, my vision is cut in half

I basically can't shoot on my right side unless my target is really close.

Feels kinda shitty man.
>>
>>29399543
>be at the range
>activating my third eye chakra
>guy in the lane to the right of me is visibly pissed that my telekinetic vibrations are flying into his lane
>he tells the range officer
>he gives me a warning but I don't care, I'm not my body, I'm not even my mind
>float across the in my astral form and set up my targets
>everyone tripping out that shit is moving on its own like they don't even project into other planes of existence
>finally ready to shoot
>aim my gun, don't even pull the trigger, just throat sing really loud and banish the targets to the 8th dimension
>go home and thoughtpost on 4chan
>>
I keep both eyes wide open for shotgun, and half squint my non-dom eye in rifle and pistol to still have full vision but just distorted enough that my dom eye has full priority. With RDS both eyes open.

Closing one eye reduces your FOV and destroys your depth perception.
>>
I shoot with both eyes open no matter what I'm shooting. Rifles with or without scope, shotguns, handguns etc. Most of my time is spent shooting a. 22lr target rifle. 20 shots a position, 3 positions. Do the match twice. 120 rounds with one minute to fire each. We keep both eyes open because having your left eye closed and right open for an extended period of time will start to make your face twitch which will lower your score. You need to tense muscles to close your eye and keep it there, it wants to be open naturally.

I'm sure some uneducated fool here will call horse shit on this.

>most of us put a blinder over our left eye during a match so we can keep it open but it doesn't fucking with our aiming.
>>
>>29399574
I know that feel; right handed with astigmatism in my right eye. I just aim with my right eye anyways, with my glasses on it's really not so bad but if I ever want to reach my full potential I'll have to learn to shoot left handed.

When I was a kid and didn't really understand I used to lean my head over and aim with my left eye while shooting right handed. Awkward as hell.
>>
>>29397777
Checked holy quads
>>
>>29397256

really? that's somewhat counter intuitive
>>
Semi related question. You know that dominant eye trick where you put out your thumb to a distant point and then close them to see which one has the thumb on it? When i do that i just get double vision. What exactly does that mean?
>>
>>29398780
Didn't see it, but the Cage gives me giggles.
Explain?
>>
>>29398780
>You will never have Tommy Lee Jones bark orders at you to convert an air-launched Stinger into a ground-launched one.
>>
>>29397633
It took me a while to figure out that I was left handed
>>
File: 1458492382220.gif (2 MB, 176x144) Image search: [Google]
1458492382220.gif
2 MB, 176x144
>>29399770
>>
-both eyes open
-focus on front sight
-rear sight should be blurry
-front sight should be in sharp focus
-target should be blurry
-pull trigger straight back with the pad of your finger right where the curl in your fingerprint sits.
-don't anticipate the recoil

That's all there is to accuracy
>>
>>29397181
>>29397136

There's nothing wrong with giving new shooters proper instruction, and good shooting is more than just getting on paper and doing whatever's most comfortable.

You two fuck off with your shitty advice.

>>29400121
Well said 100%
>>
File: 1454741154941.png (237 KB, 478x316) Image search: [Google]
1454741154941.png
237 KB, 478x316
>>29397136
>>29397181

Fucking no guns stop giving advice
>>
>>29399929
Wtf they take points off for face twitching
>>
>>29397256
same
>>
It only took me a single range trip to develop the habit, and now it's how I shoot every time. I had to make an effort to keep doing it at first, here's how I do it.
Basically, one of your eyes is dominant no matter what. Focus on the front sight with that eye. You can have the other eye closed or squinted at first to make this easier. Then, slowly open your non-dominant eye while making an effort to stay focused on the front sight with your other eye. Eventually it will just come naturally to you.
>>
Looky through the lookypoos

Point the mcshooty

Pop the rootytooty

Don't be a silly roodypoo
>>
>>29397136
>sacrificing depth perception and field of view to use a poor crutch of a shooting habit
>>
you'll be able to keep both eyes open after enough practice.
>>
>>29401366
No, they don't take points of for it. It just makes it a lot harder to shoot because the twitch travels through the whole muscle causing you to move. The less movement the better.

When I'm shooting prone my elbows don't move from where I set them. When I go to chamber a new round I just rotate my body without moving elbows. Every little movement counts against you. Precision shooting requires you to be precise. If your elbows are in a different place after each shot your shot will be different each time. It's about repeatability and repeating the same exact thing.

>close left eye and develop twitch
>become the twitch
>make it part of your shot
>everytime you shoot you must twitch too to get that repeatability
>>
>>29398918

This, I'm ambi but left eye is dominant but it's a non issue.

Never stopped me from getting on point.
>>
You can stick with one eyed if you want but you won't be as good
>>
>>29397256
Same. I lose the front dot way too easily with both eyes open. It may just be a practice thing, though.
>>
>>29397777
Holy shit.
>>29397107
OP, just be more like this guy. He's great at everything.
>>
>>29399770
Made me chuckle heartily.
>>
>>29399189
I was an Army MP back when Christ was still a Private. Had the benefit one of the Army's all time great pistol marksman as an instructor.
Dominant eye open, other eye closed. Always.
>>
>>29402623
My original instructor would point out when I was grimacing from squeezing the eye shut. he didn't want my eye open, he just wanted me to relax my face for the same reason that tension any where in the body might effect the shot.
>>
This reminds me, when one has a pistol locked back and unloaded and is transporting it around, how do you hold it exactly? Not to hand over to someone next to you, but say moving from the table to a different one with the case, or whatever.

I have never heard anything about this.
>>
>>29399770
Om
>>
This thread is fucking dildos as fuck.

Pistols. The inside image when your aiming corresponds to the hand your holding with. Left hand right image=left eye. Right hand left image =right eye.

Rifles. Who gives a flying fuck. Hold the rifle so it's comfortable to maintain a steady sight picture.
>>
File: 1451153364327.png (3 MB, 1600x1544) Image search: [Google]
1451153364327.png
3 MB, 1600x1544
>>29403047
>>
>>29403130
Is that spray painted black?
>>
>>29400121
Hmm. I do all of this except I focus on the target.

This was advice from a (non instructor) combat shooter. You are looking out in front of you for a target. When one presents itself, having to refocus to the front sight is one more thing you'd have to do before firing. Better to keep a sight picture you can use (front and rear sights blurry) but lined up.

Comments?
>>
>>29397107
Inb4 that American Sniper scene...
>>
>>29400121
I would add breath control. Exhale, hold, pull trigger, follow through.

>>29403153 yes that is correct.
>>
>>29403142
I believe that guy is African American.
>>
>>29403198
huehuehue
>>
>>29403153
I was taught
Rear sight, Fore sight, target, fore sight, squeeze.
>>
everyone starts off with one eye closed. just squint until you learn to use both eyes open
>>
File: REDDIT.jpg (134 KB, 893x960) Image search: [Google]
REDDIT.jpg
134 KB, 893x960
>>29403130
>black stock
>bayonet extended
>gvt. REEEE shirt
>good lord what is all that shit on his belt
>>
File: 1449709997763.jpg (76 KB, 902x600) Image search: [Google]
1449709997763.jpg
76 KB, 902x600
>>29403198
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>29397224

It's an ancient Chinese secret. Chinese agents and operators are trained to dual wield pistols.
>>
>>29397136
Enjoy your eye fatigue.

I didn't have anybody to teach me how to shoot irons or RDS, and naturally wanted to close one eye. Sure, I could hit the target but my eye was killing me after a magazine or two.

There's a reason why they say to shoot with both eyes open.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.