[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are you supposed to do protocol-wise if you see a grenade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 22
File: 600px-Lockstock-series-mk2.jpg (41 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
600px-Lockstock-series-mk2.jpg
41 KB, 600x325
what are you supposed to do protocol-wise if you see a grenade?
>>
my idea was that you yell GRENAAAAAAAAAAADE

and then you jump for cover i guess. but in reality you would probably be dead from the shrapnel penetrating everything around you.
>>
>>29356306
Just find one on the ground? Or see one get tossed into the room?

For the first ATF LOL NO GRENADES, the second, lay flat on the floor, hopefully behind some kind of cover, and as far away from the grenade as possible.
>>
>>29356327
what if you try to grab it and throw it back out the window?
>>
So if you guys just SEE a grenade you jump for cover?

Jesus Christ you guys are pussies. Don't go into an army surplus store. They have deactivated grenades everywhere.
>>
Well, if you're fighting Poles; pick it up pull the pin and throw it back.
>>
>>29356340
You're certainly welcome to, but there aren't a whole lot of official protocols for that given it's way more risky.
>>
>>29356340
Live grenade? You die.

Paper weight? You look like an idiot.
>>
>>29356306
Push your friend in front of it and jump out of the way
>>
>>29356364
that probably wouldn't do much. does meat have much resistance to pineapples?
>>
>>29356306
Yell GRENADE! and jump for cover.

If no cover is available jump on to your stomach, facing away from the grenade.

Do not attempt to pick up the grenade and throw it back. This is not a movie. You will die.
>>
>>29356356
Hardly. The fuze is 5-8 seconds depending on where its from. Now if you are out in the open, by all means yell "grenade" and dive on the ground. If you are in a vehicle or small room toss it away, yeah it may not do you any good, but trying to not die is a lot better than saying "welp I guess this is it" and just accepting death.
>Fallujah Iraq: cases of Insurgents throwing frags without pulling the pin or fuze taking 30+seconds due to being old.
>>
>>29356444
>The fuze is 5-8 seconds depending on where its from
And also 3-5 depending on where it's from. Go ahead tho, it's on you. I'd rather do what's safest when fucking with grenades and not bank on "old fuze, I THINK that's that type of grenade."
>>
File: 1458682953657.jpg (210 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
1458682953657.jpg
210 KB, 1920x800
>>29356444
Why don't we have electronic fuses with accurate timing already?
>>
>>29356444
Don't forget where you are. Takes most /K/ommandos 5-8 seconds to stand up.
>>
File: 1457561393179.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1457561393179.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>29356444
>but trying to not die is a lot better than saying "welp I guess this is it" and just accepting death.
>he says, while choosing PRESS RB TO THROW BACK GRENADE over bailing the fuck out of whatever confined room the grenade was thrown into
>>
>>29356455
Because they're still using grenades from Vietnam.
>>
>>29356306
Scream
>>
>>29356455
Because electronics degrade faster and are more susceptable to being destroyed by a few hard knocks than a chemical fuse.
>>
>>29356495
I bet you have a great ass, girly man.
>>
>>29356306
Turn 360 degrees and walk away.
>>
>>29356483
I wonder if anyone has run into bad grenades in Iraq/Afghanistan. Vietnam was the same as WWII with civilian laborers constructing weapons. I had a Vietnam vet talk to us about one instance where a whole crate of grenades had their fuses replaced with rolled up pieces of paper saying "give peace a chance" "love not war" etc.
>>
>>29356519
lmao wat
>>
>>29356512
If they can make electronics that can withstand the thousands of Gs of being fired from a cannon i think they can make one that can take a few knocks.
>>
Standard procedure is to jump 50 ft into the air and spread yourself over a wide area.
>>
>>29356536
I thought that was for landmines?
>>
>>29356530
You're right. 50,000 dollar grenades when?
>>
>>29356542
The infantry handbook does not specify between them.
>>
>>29356549
Even 155mm smart munitions don't cost that much in bulk.
>>
File: 1456487744259.jpg (7 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
1456487744259.jpg
7 KB, 250x230
>>29356530
>let's build G-force hardened electronics to do the same thing a chemical fuse costing a fraction of the price does just fine
>>
>>29356557
Ahh, the handbook for 11b. Didn't that one have the coloring section too?
>>
>>29356306
Suck tha dude's dick thats next to you
>>
>>29356344
U R DUMB
>>
>>29356530
Surviving a peak acceleration and surviving storage for years are two very different problems
>>
>>29356575
So, 5 grand then?
>>
>>29356619
And yet airburst auto-cannon and AGL ammunition seem to do just fine.
>>
File: Welcome_to_vietnam.gif (1019 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
Welcome_to_vietnam.gif
1019 KB, 500x245
>>29356524
>be GI in Vietnam
>be in a wet a shitty foxhole defending a worthless hill.
>get a fresh shipment of grenades straight from San Francisco.
>sudden NVA attack.
>swarms of very dense infantry formations
>be preparing grenades to slow the same enemy down
>feels kinda light
> pull pin and throw the grenades
>seven seconds later no explosion
>look down at pin and see a slip of paper.
"Give peace a chance...man"
>seconds later I get stabbed by malnourished gook with a dinky SKS and a rusty bayonet.
fucking filthy hippies.
>Mfw
>>
>>29356455
>Why don't we have electronic fuses with accurate timing already?
I'd imagine it's a cost issue. You've got to pay a few different firms to come up with prototypes, pick a couple of those for D&T, thne run it through a year or two of field trials. Assuming that nothing goes wrong and you don't have to start again from scratch, it the goes in to production, so the firm making them has to set up a whole new production line with brand new tooling. They'll have investors pay for that, then they'll charge enough enough to pay them back with interest and make a healthy profit for themselves. At that point, you don't just order the grenades you need for this year, you have to replace your entire stockpile, which for a country like the US I'd guess would be in the high millions/low tens of millions. Then there's the cost of retraining every serviceman who might need to use one at some point.

By the end of it all you're four years older and your wallet is a couple of hundred million dollars lighter, but all you've achieved is getting some grenades that go bang after /exactly/ eight seconds, instead of after /about/ eight seconds.

If we had thousands of men coming home without their wanking spanners because the grenades were going off the instant you let go of them it might be a worthwhile investment. As it stands at the moment though you could achieve the same result by teaching troops to clear rooms by setting fire to bundles of $100 bills and tossing them through the door before they enter.
>>
>>29356774
kek
>>
>>29356593
Ur actually, quantifyably dum.
>>
Gunner in our vehicle dropped onto one when it was thrown from a roof through his hatch.

Them feels
>>
>>29356464
underrated af
>>
>>29356798
>but all you've achieved is getting some grenades that go bang after /exactly/ eight seconds, instead of after /about/ eight seconds.
It shouldn't be hard to add a changeable timer at that point.

The reason chemical fuzes are often so damn long is because they're not that consistent to begin with. That 8 sec fuse might actually be 5.5 instead.

But like all infantry weapons they are issued so widely and used proportionately so little that militaries will stick to the cheapest option out of lethargy. At most they'll procure some special stuff for the special squirrels.
>>
POP

LOCK

AND DROP IT!

I do it for the shorties.
>>
Yell BROSITI GRENATEN and throw it
>>
>>29356524
He was telling tall tales. Crates have log numbers and serials, and you can get shot for that.

Also who the FUCK would unscrew a grenade to see why it didn't explode? Gee, these explosives are faulty, but I know who can fix it, a guy too dumb for college.
>>
>>29356306
Don't touch it and go get an adult
>>
File: 1454290084050.jpg (23 KB, 417x515) Image search: [Google]
1454290084050.jpg
23 KB, 417x515
>>29356306
If I remember, you yell "GRENADE," jump behind the nearest cover, go prone, put your arms over your helmet and face, and wait for death.

>>29356798
I learned that our fuses are 3-5 seconds, but if you're dealing with a grenade, it probably doesn't belong to one of your own
>>
>>29356340
You either
A)do so successfully
B)make it worse by effectively making it an airburst
>>
Hold it next to your head so youre gone quickly
>>
>>29356306
Take your helmet off and put it over the grenade.
>>
>>29357790
Excellent! You have created a larger fragmentation grenade!
>>
>>29356306
Proper procedure?

Yell "GRENADE" and either get behind solid cover or lie flat on the floor with your helmet pointed towards the grenade. Modern helmets *should* provide enough deflection for grenade fragments.

Wanna feel like a hero?

Grab the grenade and Softball throw that bitch back to sender.

Wanna get a Medal of Honor?

Jump on it and take one for the team.
>>
>>29357914
>Jump on it and take one for the team.
But wouldn't that hurt?
>>
>>29356306
Yell grenade, and take cover. If no cover is available, lie glat with your helmet towards the nade, it should stop fragments. And even if you die because you break your neck (not certain), it's better than losing your legs and balls due to frag and still bleeding out.
>>
File: 1431223571558.jpg (42 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1431223571558.jpg
42 KB, 640x427
>>29358063
That depends on how long you live for after the fact.
>>
>>29357287
Fucking hero
>>
>>29356306
Im jumping on the nade to save anyone i can.

clear my browser history ok ?
>>
>>29356306
You jump away(screaming grenade) and try to get to cover. If its a shock grenade you may be lucky. If its a shrapnel grenade you're almost fucked if you got no cover.
>>
>>29356444
According to my EOD buddy a lot of the old soviet grenade detonators are so shitty and decayed that the fuse times are basically random.

Some will explode almost immediately after being thrown, some take well over 20 seconds.

>1-30 second timer, and you don't know which

Don't use old ordinance.
>>
>>29356306
Depends on the situation and your instincts.
Most preferable scenario is to throw the grenade back at the enemy. If you can't, toss it away. If you can't, jump to cover.
The only stories I know, of such scenario, depict unconventional reactions:
1. Roi Klein was in a tent with his buddies, when he realized that a grenade landed in the middle of it. To save everyone else, he jumped unto it. To this day it's controversial whether he could just toss it away (though he did receive a 'medal of honor' equivalent for this action).
2. When a patrol got ambushed near the border, an ambush-er threw a grenade at the patrolling force. The officer's reaction was to ran up to the thrower, pick him up and use him as a shield against the grenade.
>>
>>29357617
Very accurate
>>
>>29356306
Jump over it and crouch in mid-air.
The crouching is essential. You won't get any distance out of it if you don't crouch.
>>
>>29356352
Underrated post
>>
>>29356306
Pop your fly and piss on it.
>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2445513/Royal-Marine-who-jumped-on-grenade-awarded-George-Cross.html

Lucky mother fucker, he thought he would just lose a limb.
>>
>>29356374
No. The pineapple juice seeps into the meat, slightly tenderizing it due to acidity, an permeating it with a delicious hint of tropical sweetness. It also apparently makes your jizz taste better.
>>
>>29356352
10/10 muh childhood
>>
>>29358875
>It also apparently makes your jizz taste better.
Ive always wondered about this.

They say meat makes your spunk taste rotten while eating loads of fruit makes your cum taste sweeter. Now I wonder, if you just stop eating meat and start eating loads of pineapple, will you be shooting cum that will taste like sugarwater?
>>
>>29358898
I'd eat the shit out of some pineapples. Pineapples are awesome. Open your mouth, anon. We're gonna do a science.
>>
Theoretically, could one shoot the live grenade and disable it? Or would it just explode immediately?
>>
>>29358942
>>29358942
That seems like one of those things that falls into the 'inadvisable' category.
>>
>>29358928
Nah we'd have to make it more professional. We need 100 man who will freeze their sperm for a month. Then one half of them will only eat fruit and the other half will continue eating like usual. Then some persons will taste the cum, both the old frozen cum and the new fruitier cum. Naturally we'd have to first research if cum taste deteriorates from freezing. If it does we would have to either take it fresh and carefully log it or find men with similar tasting cum and then put half of them on diet.

Why has no one researched this before?
>>
>>29358898
>Ive always wondered about this.
Its true to a limited degree. I mean its not like drinking gatorade but it makes it taste slightly less bad.

You really can notice it
>>
>>29358942
Grenades aren't built that way.

>pin pulled soon flies up and off after striking primer
>4 second wick burns until it ignites explosive
>blast from explosive sends shards pof metal flying 15m in every direcrion
>concussion blast destroys peoples ears and eyes

You scream "GRENADE!" and hit the dirt. If in a fighting position kick it down a sump. If in a room you are going to be so fucked up from the concussion (along with everyone else) you won't be comcious or coherent for a while

I am in the infantry
>>
>>29358968
I think that if you had a big enough sample size, you wouldn't have to worry about differences in taste between individuals. You could just graph average improvement, fruit eaters vs meat eaters. Double blind study.
>>
>>29359005
Put 50 or so on a mostly fruit diet, 50 on whatever they want as a control, and 50 on liek cured meats and coffee and asparagus.
>>
>>29359029
>>29359005
no you must mix the cum from the 50 with fruit and the cum from the 50 regular diet guys
than give the testers a teaspoon of both mixtures and ask them what tastes better
>>
>>29358875
Tenderizing is due mostly to bromelain enzyme rather than acidity. I have nothing more to add.
>>
>>29356306
considering that I am in a Forward observation team & usually practice with mortar teams within line of sight from FO -post as well as the target, probably yell "TAKE COVER!" and duck, as seeing the round (in my language called grenade) after it has left the tube means that something went horribly wrong.
>>
>>29359181
Still you would also need to see how the fruit improves, how fast it improves and how much you need to eat. Also if fruit can counteract meat and if yes how much. It is nice as an introductory test to get a minimum and maximum datapoint but we would need a lot more test people with varying diets to make this test the conclusive test on all matters of cumtaste
>>
>>29359207
Thanks! I learned a thing!
>>
>>29356774
fucking kek
>>
/k/, come for the weapons, stay for the rigorous discussion about how cum tastes.
>>
>>29357287
man that has to be the worst thing ever

you either die with your buddies or you save them by dying alone. what would you pick?
>>
>>29356524
you mean the grenades were packed, shipped and stored with fuses in them? Sounds safe...
>>
>>29358625

Not even a VC, just a George cross, I'd be pissed.
>>
>>29359390
why didn't he get a Victorian Cross? i mean he was facing an enemy, who else threw the fucking nade?
>>
>>29357480
You under estimate the power of "fuck it" rational.
>Being over run
>Tossing frags left and right
>NONE GO OFF
>lots of close friends die
>Survive somehow
>Find a bunch of un exploded grenades
>Fuck it, I dont care if it kills me
>Unscrew it
>Still not dead
>find note "give peace a chance"
>Kill more gooks
It did happen. But to the FFL prior to US involvement. Check out "Apocolypse Now Redux" there is a reference to exactly that in one of the cut scenes.
>2 1/2 hr movie originally
>4Hr movie with cut content added
>>
>>29359507
The story makes it sound like it was a boobytrap he tripped.
>>
>>29358063
Some people have actually survived it.
>>
>>29358335
Thats kinda what I was getting at.
The shit the bad guys use is not properly stored, its from the 1980's/90's or if its new, made by Iran or some other third world country.
>Hassan! Why do all your grenades suck? Did you follow the instructions in the book?
>But Ahmed....I cant read....so I dont know
>Hmm neither can I. Allah will guide our hand
>>
>>29358063
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>29359632
Speaking of, I remember reading horror stories about the Iraqis being trained after the drawdown not actually aiming. We're talking people firing from the hip at 300m+ engagement ranges with their poorly maintained AK or AR, as Allah will apparently decide where the bullets go.
>>
if you duck and point away from the nade does it take away your penis.
>>
>>29359688
Dude that was going in while were still there. I was there in 04 and 08 and both times they were doing that with the "allah decides where it hits" and that shit isnt even exclusive to Iraq. The Afghans and Taliban do that shit too. There are many cases of snipers missing at extreme ranges and their targets just stand there and look for them instead of taking cover....then that follow up shot doesnt miss...
Its one of the reasons the ground war was so easy and we didnt take a lot of casualties.
>keep in mind, even poorly aimed fire can fuck you up of used en mass
I bet ISIS does this shit too.
>>
>>29359747
doesnt anyone wonder why there are those strange metal protrusions on the top of the gun?
>>
>>29359834
From how these people take care of their weapons, they probably see anything that isn't the trigger as a strange metal protrusion.
>>
File: 1458252800376.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1458252800376.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>>29356521
underated post
>>
>>29356774
capped
>>
>>29356306
Jump on it and get a free Medal of Honor.
>>
>>29359888
>Honor
You mean honour, or...?
>>
>>29360298
>Medal of Honor
Not I don't mean honour, because I'm not a cucked yellow-teethed teasucking faggot.
>>
>>29359834
>>29359857
Well thats where it really gets fucked up, the ones we trained were decent shots on the range. Accurate for AK fire at least, they put holes in paper at 25-100meters that were tight groupings, kinda showed me that even an old as shit AK is not as inaccurate as I was lead to believe....but these same guys, these talented marksmen would go into engagements spraying fire from the hip....because "it doesnt matter if I aim or not. Allah decides where the bullet goes."

Fuck those guys.
>>
>>29358942

Actually I once read something about armies in the WWI going out of their way to recruit/promote people who had experience with skeet shooting. Supposedly those people were told to shot grenades in mid-air. It's also why shotguns became so popular around that time
>>
>>29360541
impact-detonated grenades (which were a thing until people took a monet to consider how dangerous those things were) certainly would have blown up when hit, not sure about the ones with time fuses...
>>
>>29360340

Honour means you have courage. What does honor mean, that you have corage?
>>
File: A MURICA.jpg (49 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
A MURICA.jpg
49 KB, 600x413
>>29360652
no

honor means that im a citizen of the greatest country on earth and not one of the shittier downtrodden countries of the anglosphere
>>
>>29360697
Who is that on the right?
>>
>>29356455
he wants the BBC
>>
>>29360697
>honor means that im a citizen of the greatest country on earth
You're Swiss?
>not one of the shittier downtrodden countries of the anglosphere
Good heavens, I agree. It would be horrible to live in an Anglosphere country like United States or UK.
>>
>>29358063
actually you probably wouldnt feel anything if youre lucky
>>
>>29358988
>comcious
>I am in the infantry

it shows
>>
>>29359657

You're a big guy
>>
>>29356306
Aren't you supposed to lay on the ground facing it with your arms to your side? If there's no obvious cover. Because the objective is to create the lowest surface area for the grenade shrapnel to hit. And your helmet is made to stop shrapnel. If you lay down facing towards it. The shrapnel is just gonna hit your helmet and shoulder armour "assuming they're issued. I'm not sure if they're mandiory or not." I'm pretty sure I read something on it. Because if you think about it. If you lay with your side facing it. You're body is just Gonna get peppered. And if you jump away from it your feet are just gonna get fucked to shit. I can't remember the survivability rate between each reaction to a grenade. But facing right towards it with your face down in the dirt is the best way to survive the explosion. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>29356306
Live and ticking, hit deck with feet towards grenade, or get behind cover if you can do it in under a second.
>>
>>29357480
Why wouldn't you ?
You'r equipment is faulty and not working you can't call a repair guy.
>>
>>29360789
>arms to your side
I was trained to cover my neck with my hands and cross my ankles if there's no ditch or some other cover I can leap into.
>>
>>29360789
Wouldn't the I,pact break your neck?
>>
>>29360952
Depends on how close you are. But the neck is stronger than you realise, and the impact is coming straight at you and not at an angle.

Basically, you have a lot of shitty options, and it's the least shitty one.
>>
>>29360789
>>29360937
then again the primary concern in my training was indirect fire (mortars and artillery), in case of a single hand grenade your method is certainly better
>>
>>29360807
>feet towards grenade
Say goodbye to your balls. Shme you never got to use em.
>>
>>29356306
Hope the motherfucker that threw wasn't smart enough to cook it and put literally anything you can between you and it, even if it's only distance. IIRC grenades only guarantee kills up to like, 10 feet. After that, you've got a decent chance of survival.
>>
>>29356306
Cover your ears I suppose.

Is there a way to reset the fuse or is that CODscience? What if you keep a grenade pin on you and shove it back in.
>>
>>29361327
Nope. Pin holds the handle in. Pull pin, nothing happens. Letting go of handle causes a spring loaded striker to smack something (flint?) which lights a time-delay fuse which then lights the big splosives.
>>
>>29361327
there's a fuse inside teh grenade, once the pin is pulled and the "spoon" comes off, a spring loaded firing pin hits the head of the fuse, lighting it, once the fuse starts burning your only (very theoretical-) option would be to disassemble the grenade & throw the fuse away before it finishes burning.
>>
>>29360711
Lady liberty on her off time.
>>
>>29356306
Be like a black man's father and disappear.
>>
>>29361372
The something it hits is a cap, as in whats at the end of ammunition. It sends a spark into the fuze.
>>
Well, normal procedure is to jump up 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide are
>>
>>29361084
That makes sense. Extra meat to protect the neck. How long did you serve?
>>
>>29362016
the mandatory 6 months (I would have served the full 12 but I didn't score high enough to get selected for NCO -course), now I am volunteer in Local Defence troops
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Defence_troops_%28Finland%29
>>
>>29357914
>helmet pointed towards the grenade

I can feel the blood vessels bursting in my brain already.
>>
>>29362351
the lining should absorb most of the shock from the blast
>>
>>29356306
You stay the fuck away from it.
>>
>>29362351
A hand grenade isn't going to produce enough of a shockwave to cause any hydrostatic shock action on soft tissue. Plus, the concussive force can mostly be nullified by opening your mouth. It might save your eardrums.
>>
>>29357480
>you can get shot for that.
The anon was talking about the US, not the Soviet Union. Factory workers in the US didn't get executed for not doing their job well enough.

>unscrew a grenade to see why it didn't explode
Grenades don't ship with the fuses in them, dumbass.
>>
>>29360788
UUUU
>>
>>29356306
>"GRENADE"
>Scrambles behind cover
>If no cover available, drops prone
>>
>>29363312
>Factory workers in the US didn't get executed for not doing their job well enough.
sabotaging production of military supplies during war time is a bit different from simply not doing one's job right.
>>
>>29356464
Fucking kek
>>
>>29358942
I know mythbusters rightfully gets a lot of shit, but they did show that a bullet striking a grenade will generally Disable it and prevent it going boom
>>
>>29356580

it's the stupid iphone generation and muh electronics.
>>
>>29359834
> search locals, find pkm sights
Why the fuck would this dude be carrying pkm sights?
>later comes back to the cop bitching for his sight back
>on front gate guard
>I have sight, commander goes to my bunk gets front sight and hands it to him.

some peoples kids

>>29363312
uh what? Last time i checked every grenade i carried and pulled out of the black canisters had fuses on em...

Here's a neat little trick i never wanted to try, but always dreamed of maiming afghani children.

I dont know if it still works or not, but Smoke grenade fuses are pretty much instantaneous when you toss em. Take the fuse off that and put it on a frag and just leave them sprawled around, in mre's bags or something. So hopefully Mr. Taliban gets it, but more likely a child.

Always kinda wanted to do it, but again i was only told about this from my old as shit tc who was in the invasion and too fucked in the head to not have sane thoughts. IDK if the fuses even fit.
>>
File: 1457673890514.jpg (235 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1457673890514.jpg
235 KB, 960x640
>>29357820

It works.

Or rather, it worked at least one time,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Baca#Medal_of_Honor_citation
>>
>>29359321
Could save your life in the war.
>>
>>29356455
Every electronic fuse has a microchip. That's expensive.
>>
>>29364261
>I bet he can't even tell if a woman is pregnant by tasting her piss.
>>
>>29356444
Around 3.5 seconds is most common
>>
>>29357480
Not only this, grenades aren't shipped fused in the US military in their original packaging, the fuses are seperated
>>
>>29358335
Explosives deteroriate over time, but that's much more likely a storage issue than an age one.
There are numerous cases of old WW1 and WW2 grenades stored in a lock box/ammo box working as advertised
>>
>>29356575
One excalibur is 68 grand
>>
>>29363825
>Rather than wait for the right woman to come along and qualify herself for whatever role we just opened up, let's force whoever we have on hand through training and make a big show out of it
>I don't see how this could ever lead to internal trust issues
>>
>>29356356
Franz Ferdinand though
>>
>>29361315

Guarantee a kill within 10 feet, horribly maim and wound up to 30ft with a good chance of killing.
>>
>>29365373
and its not only shrapnel you worry about, the crazy pressure will rape you
>>
>>29358364
>The officer's reaction was to ran up to the thrower, pick him up and use him as a shield against the grenade.

Kek
>>
>>29359507
Can't be bothered looking it up but I think that a VC commendation has to be for an act of courage or bravery, beyond what is normally expected of a soldier, and that changes the course of the battle in a decisive way.

If the grenade had gone off, would the entire battle have been lost? I'm not arguing a point but that might be why it was a George Cross not VC
>>
>>29365427
george cross is bravery without direct fire, VC is in face of direct enemy. He tripped a boobytrap while they werent shot at (the guy came an half hour later) so he only got GC
>>
File: 1385483642482.png (425 KB, 584x329) Image search: [Google]
1385483642482.png
425 KB, 584x329
>>29358625
>Covered the live grenade with a backpack containing a 66mm LAW and then laid on top of the backpack

>L/Cpl Croucher was examined by a medic who recommended he should be evacuated but the Marine, who has completed three tours of Iraq, was determined to stay to fight the Taliban and within an hour had shot an insurgent approaching their position.
>>
>>29365462
actually the lithium battery is pretty dangerous too. A Li battery easily generates hydrogen gas, which blows up really hard.
>>
Why are Brit soldiers so crazy? Island mentality?
>>
>>29359207
everyone look at this nerd
>>
>>29365516
wew lad

no more feetball for that man
>>
>>29365516
I wonder if it'd been better if he hadn't moved at all.
>>
>>29359330
No the worst thing ever is if you jump on it then have to wait 5 seconds knowing that you had time to throw it back if you had tried
>>
>>29356306
scream while looking at the grenade
>>
>>29365516
MY LEG!
>>
File: 1416332990519.jpg (12 KB, 181x172) Image search: [Google]
1416332990519.jpg
12 KB, 181x172
>>29365516
>The cameraman follows his severed foot with the camera

>>29365530
Probably. If he hadn't moved the blast might have crippled their shield arms, maybe a few fragments could have penetrated. I dunno if spalling would be a risk too or if the explosive needs to be in contact with the metal for that to happen?

As it is not only did he break his part of the shield wall but he lifted up the shield of the guy next to him so the blast could get through there too.
>>
>>29365516
Is he going to be ok?
>>
>>29365516

He lacked discipline.
>>
>>29365512
You kind of have to be a nerd if you want to work in the food processing industry and be good at it.
>>
>>29363312
>Factory workers in the US didn't get executed for not doing their job well enough.

And that's why you lost Vietnam
>>
>>29365637
those shields are probably lightweight as fuck, not rifle protection, as such fragments would probably go through them.

if they were hand-held rifle plates they would get tired of carrying them around
>>
>>29366552
>lost vietnam.
>>
>>29356306
>what are you supposed to do protocol-wise if you see a grenade?
positively not asking 4chan what to do with such grenade.
>>
>>29366584
/k/: "no timestamp=fake"/"GTFO newfag"/"fuck you Alex"
/b/: "have sex with it"/"call it nigger"
>>
>>29356306
Back off to a safe distance
Establish a secure perimeter
Call in a 9 line
Let the EOD people figure out the rest.
>>
>>29367152
that reminds me, one time in an exercise where my team was directing mortar fire we had two dud smoke rounds, and since they technically count as live ammunition the instructors looking after us couldn't resist the temptation of disposing of them the same way one would dispose of high explosives, too bad they were just mortar rounds instead of, say, bangalorean torpedoes or AT -mines (I have also witnessed disposal of a dud bangalorean torpedo, that was epic) so instead of a "PT -cube" (20kg cube of TNT used for disposal of bigger explosives) they could only use small amount of plastic explosives...
>>
>>29356306
Remember that they have no manual safety
>>
>>29356464
Freaking kek anon. Wew, my sides.
>>
>>29358364
Freaking kek on #2. Can you just imagine the throwers reaction to getting picked up and used as a shield? Wew lad my sides
>>
>>29365516
Couldn't he have just used his shield to punt the grenade away? From what I know grenades have pretty small killing radii and just a few meters might have turned a fatal explosion into a bunch of injuries?
>>
>>29356352
If its Russian made it probably won't go off until the pin is inserted and removed five times so no harm done to anyone throwing it back - a bit like Marxist Leninism really.
>>
>>29359612
Good grief, not sure if that is beast mode, or just sad. Can you imagine what your "quality" of life would be like if you survived that? Still, respect for those guys.
>>
>>29356306
That depends. Sometimes you'll see grenades on the vests of friendly soldiers. I advise you don't freak out from the mere sight of them.
>>
Kick it into the grenade sump you dug at the bottom of your fox hole
>>
>>29365516
that's not his foot flying away, it's part of the riot gear.
Saw an aftermath pic, legs were still attached although the left foot was in a pretty shit condition.
>>
>>29361517
KEK
>>
>>29359612
>>29367741
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_on_a_grenade

>Such an act can be survivable: In World War II Jack Lucas, in the Battle of Iwo Jima, placed two grenades under his steel M1 Helmet and himself before they exploded. Lucas lived, but spent the rest of his life with over 200 pieces of shrapnel in his body. In 2008 near Sangin in Afghanistan Matthew Croucher used his rucksack to pin the grenade to the floor, and that and his body armor absorbed the majority of the blast. On November 21, 2010 in Marjah, Helmand Province, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Marine Lance Corporal Kyle Carpenter threw himself upon a grenade, thrown onto a rooftop, to save a fellow Marine; sustaining injuries to his face, right arm and losing his right eye, he survived these wounds.
>>
>>29356306
yell "GRENADE" at the top of your lungs and dive for cover
>>
Do you guys think that some of the MoH recipients that were awarded posthumously (or otherwise) for jumping on 'nades did so accidentally?

Gunfire, shouting, and general fog of war are deafening you.
Someone yells "GRENADE!" at the top of their lungs, and you go to dive for cover, only to realize you dive right on the fucking thing.
>>
>>29367908
No it happens. Yes they know they are taking the fall. Don't doubt courage exists because you don't have it in you.
>>
>>29367934
?

What in the fuck are you on about, retard?
I don't doubt that courage exists, and I know that there are people out there who have jumped on grenades to save their friends.

I was simply suggesting that maybe there were cases like I described where people unknowingly dove onto one.

Fuck off you self-righteous cunt.
>>
>>29367809
Mad respect for those guys. Takes some big kahones and selflessness to do something like that.
>>
>>29356584
the whole thing is the coloring section
>>
>>29367989

Afghan Space Program?
>>
>>29367934
Such hostility
>>
File: 1457286681600.jpg (110 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1457286681600.jpg
110 KB, 640x640
>>29367934

>how dare you suggest that maybe 1 person in the history of warfare, dived onto a grenade he didnt know was there
>>
Seek cover, if none is available lie flat on the ground with your feet towards the grenade.

Shrapnel tends to rise and if you are hit by fragments your legs will prevent fragments from hitting your vital organs.
>>
File: BAKA.jpg (34 KB, 268x415) Image search: [Google]
BAKA.jpg
34 KB, 268x415
>>29368572
>getting shrapnel between your legs
>>
>>29370110
No, he's right. Your feet are supposed to be together, not spread eagle.
>>
>>29367908
Could have happened, certainly. Most likely will we'll never know definitively.
>>
>>29356306
Pull pin
Throw in toilet
???
Profit
>>
File: ParakeetOops.jpg (15 KB, 416x258) Image search: [Google]
ParakeetOops.jpg
15 KB, 416x258
>>29356306
>>
>>29370277
Underrated post
>>
Here's a Swiss /Mexican jumping bean design grenade. No hiding behind cover,explodes in the air.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iYy-vXRpm_Q
>>
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iYy-vXRpm_Q
>>
>>29373300
Nigga don't tell me you don't know the difference between Swiss and Swedish
>>
>>29365516
I don't understand the naysaying about this dude. These guys are hiding behind shields, can't see shit, being pelted with what they assume are more rocks. Would you expect a hand grenade? And while everyone else shit themselves trying to figure out what to do, he acted. I say that even though he failed he did everything right and bravely.

As a side note, you can see that the kneeling guys react at first, but then hesitate. I think they were going to try to block it with their shields, but realized how many gaps there would be, and that those shields probably aren't able to withstand and grenade. I still say the guy that kicked it deserves a medal
>>
File: edge.jpg (2 MB, 2881x1921) Image search: [Google]
edge.jpg
2 MB, 2881x1921
>>29367934
ITT: Only true warriors
>>
>>29373582
Best move might have been to kick the back of the shield the grenade was up against. But people can't think of everything in such situations. Armchair quarterbacking is too easy.
>>
Put it down a toilet
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-14-18-17-49.png (529 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-14-18-17-49.png
529 KB, 720x1280
>>29356327
Getting on the ground isn't gonna save you. The grenade explodes directly outwards in all directions.
>>
>>29356306
Yell grenade.
Dive away from it, landing with your boot soles facing it and with your legs closed as much as possible.
Open your mouth slightly to equalize the overpressure.
>>
>>29374708
That's why you have helmets and soft armor, and by lying flat the area of body exposed to the blast will be significantly reduced, and by coverign your neck and closing your legs, in event you do indeed survive, you will have less chance getting a spinal or groin injury
>>
>>29356306
run.
>>
File: 1447514537692.jpg (34 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1447514537692.jpg
34 KB, 292x257
>>29356464
Spicy
>>
>>29367734
Sick bantz from both sides
>>
kick it
It'd make for a good story
>>
>>29373582
>I say that even though he failed he did everything right
kek. He did just about the worst thing that he could have done and not only did he pay for it but others did aswell.
Intentions are all well and good and a fuck up like that can be forgiven for noble intentions but it certainly shouldn't be rewarded.
>>
>>29365530
Yeah.

His reaction was too damn late.
>>
>>29367809
>over 200 pieces of shrapnel in his body
Boss?
>>
>>29361315
>cooking a grenade in real life

Tip top kek
>>
>>29375609
thank the remote manipulation of bodily organs for that, thanks America
>>
>>29358897
Reference?
>>
>>29375666
No satan, Venom only had 108 pieces because it's symbolic like that
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.