[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rifles & Shotguns...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
So after asking /out/ about hunting rifles/shotguns I got sent here. Long story short...
>Dad has been asking me to go hunting with him for the past few years.
>I lacked the money to do so.
>I got tax refund of 2k.
>Figure I can surprise him for his birthday by sending a pic of me with a hunting rifle or shotgun w/ hunter's safety certificate & dressed in orange.

I was looking at just rifles until somebody mentioned a lot of areas in Wisconsin were "Shotgun only" areas. I'm not opposed to a shotgun because it opens up hunting waterfowl to me. The thing is I'm not sure where to really begin looking for good firearms.

I'm open to any suggestions you have for rifles but as far as shotguns go I'm fond of the way over/under look/work. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $700 but if need be I'm willing to spend more.

Can you help me /Kkommandos? I know I'm not talking about tactical firearms ( feel free to pitch some of those to me too though ) but I'd really like to put a smile on his face for his birthday and finally give him somebody to go hunting with.
>>
Rifle: Remington 700 or Tikka T3
Shotgun: Savage Stephens 555
Those should be a good place to start
>>
>>29355512
Second the rifle, but alternately a mossberg 500 for the shotgun. Is there a range that rents guns in your area? If so, go there, shoot some guns, get which you like best.
>>
>>29355384
Poorfag mode if you want to save money. Savage axis/ruger american and maverick 88 or mossberg 500.

Avoid remington
>>
>>29355384

Before you determine what you are buying, you need to figure out what calibers and firearms are legal to hunt with. Most places have a minimum caliber requirement and may not allow certain firearms or loadouts. Most common is a restriction on magazine size.

Next, what are you hunting? The size and type of animal you are hunting will determine what you need. A 12 gauge shotgun is extremely versatile and will take any game in North America out to 50 yards. However, you are obviously limited by range. 223 is very common and will take anything from ground hogs to coyote. 308 and 3006 will work for deer or elk.

The Benelli Nova is a solid beginner shotgun for 400 dollars. Many people may suggest the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 but the quality in both is lacking. They will work fine but feel really shitty.

For rifles, pick up a savage or ruger bolt action. These are decent offering again under 500 dollars. Stay away from Remington entry level rifles.

Don't buy an expensive gun starting out. See if you enjoy hunting first before investing too much money. If it doesn't work out, you can sell them for nearly as much as you bought them for.
>>
>>29355644
I'm not sure but I'll look. I was just looking at a Mossberg ATI Scorpion ( pic related ) and at Mossberg's patriot rifle.

>>29355673
Hunting deer; as far as I know Wisconsin's gun laws are pretty lax but one thing I do for-sure know is I can't use a .22LR to hunt deer here.

>>29355657
>>29355673
I'll be sure to avoid Remington.
>>
>>29355973
>>
>>29355982
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-23-07-07-06.png (491 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-23-07-07-06.png
491 KB, 1080x1920
>>29355973
>>29355982
>>29356014
If you're looking at mossberg 500 for hunting, check out pic related. If you want ati mossberg, go ahead, whatever makes you happy, but I personally have not had good experience with them. Their products work, but the feel and look cheap and poorly made.
>>
>>29356119
good to know, thanks.

Do you know of any decent over/under shotguns? I found a few that had good reviews but I'm not really sure who to trust when it comes to firearm reviewers.
>>
>>29356119
Plus this way, you can use same shotgun for both deer and birds. You'll probably want to pick up a rifle anyway, as you should. But if you are on a budget, this will hold you over till you get a rifle for deer. Just with simple change of barrel.
>>
>>29356135
I'll have to defer to someone else for this question, as I don't have much experience with over under shotgun. Mostly because they are more expensive than pump, and I didn't understand why I should pay more for less capacity.
>>
>>29355384

You're going to get a myriad of responses, but if I lost all my guns in a fire tomorrow and I was starting over, this is what I would buy:

Used Savage 11/111 in either .308, .270 or .30-06. I see these come up for sale all the time for <$600. People unbox them, shoot 20rds and then sell them for $200 less than they paid. Perplexing, but whatever.

Mossberg 500 field/slug combo with screw in chokes. I'd buy it new just so you're not hunting around armslist looking for pieces. Check all the big box stores and see who's for a sale.

Realistically you could get both guns for under $1100, and you wouldn't feel like you were lacking. They'd last a lifetime.
>>
>>29356199
The fact you'd pick those two in that situation means a lot and I'll be sure to try and test both of these at a local range.
>>
>>29356199
Hi again; is the Mossberg field/slug combo their FLEX shotgun? I've been looking around the website but have yet to find a "field/slug" shotty.
>>
>>29357699
It's just a barrel combo if I know what he's talking about, like the one picture already posted. All it takes to change barrels on the Mossberg is unscrewing the tube magazine end, pulling the one barrel off and putting on another, and then screwing the end back on.
>>
>>29355384
>I was looking at just rifles until somebody mentioned a lot of areas in Wisconsin were "Shotgun only" areas.
Check with your local DNR before listening to hearsay. It could be you need to use a rifled bore shotgun (often called a slug gun).
>>
>>29356199
I'm 100% with this anon on the Mossberg, it was my first gun and I'd absolutely restart a collection with one. I don't think there's a better choice in your budget, for many reasons.

While I think the Savage is a great rifle and a very valid option, I would personally opt for a Ruger American in .30-06, or .270. Nothing against the Savage, but I think the differences between it and the Ruger are going to be largely un-noticed by a user such as yourself, and the lower price of the Ruger frees up some money for an optic(which you'll probably want to spend a fair bit on). I would also avoid .308, not because it's anything less than a great round, but because its availability is fickle in many areas during any sort of scare. I bought a .308 American the same time my friend picked up a .30-06, during a panic. And he was able to find and buy ammo the entire time, at normal prices, while mine sat on a shelf because everywhere was out of stock or price-gouging.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my thoughts.
>>
>>29359376
Well, with all these recommendations for the Mossberg products I will be sure to test them at the gunrange. Noting your recommendation of the Ruger American I first saw them in a "best of [insert year here]" magazine article when my dad first asked me to go hunting with him. I remember looking at their website then. Looking at it now I see there are many more Ruger American rifles ( pic related ) now available. I'm not really sure where to start or how to determine which one would be best for me. I suppose buying one already prepared with a scope would be nice but I'd love some input from you on how I should go about selecting one.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.