[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it really to get into special forces? Delta, Rangers,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: jtf2.jpg (54 KB, 425x550) Image search: [Google]
jtf2.jpg
54 KB, 425x550
How hard is it really to get into special forces?

Delta, Rangers, JTF-2, etc.

What do they look for? Do you go to them and tell them you're interested? Do they look at how you interact with your fellow soldiers? Is there testing done aside from stuff on the range that would make them pick you over someone else?

Are they essentially handpicking soldiers with specific traits out of the platoons or is it kind of open to apply for the courses? I heard anyone, including Canadians can apply for the Rangers course.
>>
>>29354655
Whats with all the canucks shilling JTF2 at every fucking oppertunity.
>>
>>29354668
They're the best we have in Canada and incredibly elusive. Hard to find out much of anything about them in comparison to other special forces but last I heard is they're training Kurdish snipers right now.
>>
>>29354655

>what do they look for?

They look for you. They look for this random post. Thats how they know if youre serious. You'll be contacted later.
>>
Check your email spam box, I get a couple JTF2 invites every week.
>>
>>29354668
Canadians have historically been really good in the special forces department.

One of our earliesr special units was a joint Canadian-American SOF unit in WW2 and we've been working together ever since. And its easy to do so since our training facilities are just across the border.
>>
So does anybody have an actual answer? I'm interested too.
>>
>>29354655
>>29355011
>have a-type competetive personality
>always make a point to get shit done asa fucking p
>get off 4chan
>go run
>keep running until you puke
>do this every single day with calisthenics
>stay the fuck off 4chan and exercise hard every single day

Asking questions on a mongolian foot fetish symposium isn't going to make you a 1337 opr8r. It will actually show how undedicated you are.
>>
>>29355037
So to get from reg force to special forces, all you need to do is consistently work out?

I don't think you understood the question. I feel being inquisitive would be a positive trait for an operator.
>>
File: 1420680425834.jpg (68 KB, 542x720) Image search: [Google]
1420680425834.jpg
68 KB, 542x720
>>
You get scouted like it was a pro sports league. I got visited by one dude for seals when they heard I stole a tank from jihadists by breaking their necks in the cockpit.wasn't even in the army was just a pc tech that got caught in crossfires. They also got whiff of when I frisbeed a landline into a crowd. I declined the offer since I was in uni.
>>
>>29355065
Get off 4chan you fat fuck.

They want you to be intelligent enough to follow orders to a T, and light haji's up. That is all.
>>
But every soldier does that.
>>
>>29355076
Thanks. This seems incredibly hard.

I already did it on my own before and scored 56. I'm not in great shape by any means and half those points were scored in the run alone. Upper body strength is of utmost importance in this test. Sacrificing a few points in running to build more mass to be successful in the other 4 categories seems obvious.
>>
All these services require you to attend a selection or indoctrination course.

At the course you are tested. If you pass, you can move on and either be assigned to the unit or to the qualification training.

It's all on the Internet. Look it up.
>>
I've also heard somewhere that most JTF2 guys are between the ages of 28 and 35 but obviously i have no way to confirm that. Combat experience and exceptional fitness are key i would assume
>>
>>29355065
Curiosity doesn't get you a spot on the team. They want the most dedicated of the dedicated. The athletic of the athletic. Like everyone else will say here, get off this Indian Smoke signal forum, and start running. Quit the junk foods, and eat healthy.
>>
>>29355088
This has to be bait. How'd you get caught in a crossfire and end up snapping the necks of haji tankers.
>>
>>29354668
this, and they seem to place them on the same level as delta and devgru
>>
>>29354655
A lot is obvious. Be in really good shape. Know your weapons and tactics.
But there is other criteria.
>Work well alone
>Work REALLY well in a team
>Dont get frustrated
>Unable to give up or quit
>Creative

Rangers will take anyone who can meet the physical criteria. SF, Delta and SEALs focus more on selecting "the right guy." Look at Vinning, not a huge guy, doesnt look like a bad ass, but he is.
>>
>>29355208
No one really knows how good they are, I think that's where the hype comes from
>>
Serious answer for anyone interested...

They look for fitness above all else:

Fun fact: literally half of successful BUD/S candidates now are recruited from the civilian world (college athletes, triathlon, marathoners, etc) now.

Google that for more info, and on the Seals civilian recruitment program.

The people with the same discipline and mental toughness to do long distance running, triathlon, etc are the exact same type of people with the discipline and toughness to succeed at the highest levels of SF.

In the case of Delta, you have to fit their Army profile of between such and such a rank, minimum years service left, etc to qualify.

But for all of them: Fitness and mental toughness first, traditional military skills second. Distance running, swimming, and stamina are more important than riflery or any mall ninja bullshit.
>>
>>29355509
Thanks for the info.

I saw in a video of the ranger training, a girl and a guy were paired up. They both had to do a squat with hands behind their heads and they stood up for a brief second before the little girl put this 230 lb man over her shoulders and began to walk.

That looked impossible to me.
>>
>>29355037

>type A

Type A/B theory dates from the mid 50s and has been pretty widely criticized and debunked in the last forty years.
>>
>>29355509
Apart from fitness you need to be a fast learner and whatever else personal traits they're looking for. You might pass selection with flying colors but if you're fucking up in OTC or for other reasons deemed unsuitable, you're out.
>>
>>29355076
According to that I scored 141
Canucks could not into BUDS can they
>>
>>29357731

Those are the scores you have to meet to qualify for consideration, anon. I'm sure the selection process itself requires a little more.
>>
>>29357731

Post your numbers, I don't believe you.

Assuming you:

Aced the run (1.5 miles in sub 7:41, which is works out to slightly faster than a five minute mile for everyone keeping score)

Aced the push-ups (78 proper form in a row)

Aced the sit-ups (78 proper form sit-ups, not crunches in a row)

Aced the pull ups (24 non swinging, proper form, non crossfit tier pullups in a row)

You'd only need twenty points and to bench ~245 lbs for the remainder.

Colour me skeptical.
>>
>>29355088
lol
>>
>>29354655

No it's not difficult. My entire family on my dad's side has been in some kind of SF unit at one point in their lives (except me, I'm a disappointment virgin retard).

If you are a sedentary retard who doesn't do any physical activity, never did hard labour a single day in your life and have a low pain-tolerance threshold, then yeah, it might be difficult.

For people who grew up pitching and throwing hay, running hills, swimming or just generally being very active it's not hard at ALL, it's what everyone in my family tells me and that's about it. Training is just training and everything else is just practise.

Seriously, SF is romantized a lot by hollywood and people with soldier-boy fantasies.

My uncle was with the Seals and he laughed when he read Marcus Lutrell's book, the part where he said he wrote that he had to hire a personal trainer to get ready for the SEAL physical test. My uncle said he just rolled in from farm work and aced it.
>>
>>29358169
I'm willing to record myself doing all that, but the question is, what do I gain from it besides internet fame?

> Paypal me $10.
>>
>>29358169
Dude that's not that hard. I mean with the exception of the pull up I could max it and I know a shit ton of people that could as well.
>>
>>29358169
Aside from the run, none of that is too hard. I see /fit/ people in the Navy run the 1.5 in 8 or low 8 and most of them just push paper or cook or some shit for a living. So there's no reason to doubt a young person who keeps themself fit and maybe has a running back ground (track/field in highschool) can't achieve this
>>
>>29354779
Hey by the way, I have a million dollars that I wanna send you but I need you to pay the taxes for the transfer. Can you give me your account number and pin?
>>
>>29354655
they are pretty specific about what they want.
they will start with just about anybody in the off chance that you might be a diamond in the rough, but the chances are not good for you.....sorry
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.