[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VEPR x54r vs Saiga .308 for hunting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
I simply want to know which slavshit rifle would be better for hunting in north America?

I want something that will be versatile, as in functional with ample stopping power for the largest range of animals across the country.

My other concern was ammo availability, I'd assume in America the .308 would have more options, maybe even specializes cartridges for hunting, where as the 7.62x54r would be almost completely military surplus, but in turn I think would be cheaper to shoot.
>>
>>29333701
Both have cheap plinking ammo and both have dedicated (and more expensive) hunting loads. There is far more variety in the 308 though and the availability of cheap plinking ammo is not subject to import bans. So I'd suggest that instead of the x54r.
>>
niggers and chicken
>>
>>29333740
Are they both equally capable of dropping large game at decent yards? Does one penetrate more than the other or carry a considerable larger amount of energy?
>>
>>29334336
Bump
>>
>>29333701
Those are both retarded rifles for hunting

Stop making bait threads.

Buy a fucking Tikka or Sako and slap a Leupold or Swarovski on it.
>>
>>29335427
.308 is still .308 regardless of what it's fired from.
So long as the platform is accurate, won't explode in your hands and you're comfortable it's fine.

Tl;dr: Stop spreading fuddlore.
>>
File: Dipshit.gif (915 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
Dipshit.gif
915 KB, 245x285
>>29335427
Mfw
>get a bolt action for traditional hunting
>semi auto capabilities are stupid
>who needs follow up shots?
>git gud
>.308's are stronger in bolt action
>must be bait

Alright. Anyone have some useful input here? Actually trying to make a decision between which of the two rifles I want to get.
>>
Get a .308 and plink with surplus 7.61x51 real fucking NATO. .308 can drop anything you come across in the US.
>>
>>29335930
They're both great guns, both are well built and have good followings.
The VEPR in 54r would be my choice, because the receiver is stronger and I have a hard on for the standard VEPR furniture.
>>
>>29335930
>>29335698
This is a thread about funding.

If you don't think a fudd gun is better at being a fudd gun than a non fudd gun, get help.

Plus you look like a tard fiddling with semi auto Slav shit
>>
>>29333701
Both are fully capable of taking any animal in North America. Other than that ? .308 has more loading a available and most plinking ammo is a bit higher quality I guess
>>
>>29336127
What about accuracy? Are both cartridges identical in performance, Trajectory and whatnot
>>
>>29333701
The Vepr is the better built rifle by a small margin, but the x54r mags are retarded if you want any real capacity for anything other than hunting.

.308 has a much more versatile AND AVAILABLE selection of hunting rounds, and many of them are cheaper than any of the decent x54r loads. Plus you can sell your brass (more easily) if you don't reload.
>>
>>29334336
That's entirely dependent on the bullet. They are very comparable on velocity and energy if you're even close to similar bullet weights.

There are more "good" hunting bullets available for .308 than there are for x54r, with a wider range of weights. Literally 130-210gr available from the factory with 110-240gr available to handloaders, vs. 154-190 for x54r.
>>
>>29333701
.308 by a slim margin.
>>
>>29333701

.308 has better ammo choices at this point. Unless you want to flush out your rifle every time you use "Non-corrosive 7.62 Russian" surplus.
>>
>>29336353
Okay, looks like I'm going for the saiga then. How's the aftermarket support for it? Any stock sets or accurizing mods available for them?
>>
>>29333701
.308 Saiga. Much better loads available.
>>
>>29335427
>Leupold

Top kek

If you want a scope made with Asian glass (which btw there is literally nothing wrong with), spending 800 on a VX3 is a fucking joke when a Vortex Viper HS/HST offers equal if not better performance with better features for $600 and a better warranty and better customer service.

For top end, Swaro/Kahles.
>>
>>29336220
No. Whether they are by some factor of intrinsic properties of the cartridge is entirely debatable, but based on what is actually available to the end user in terms of factory ammunition and load data--- 308 beats x54R in every category other than the availability of dirt cheap range ammo.

.308 will outperform x54R in every measure able way. In some instances, it's not like it matters, but for bullets available and terminal performance of said bullets which matter for hunting it always will win.
>>
>>29333701
308 is down to under $10 for plinking ammo
>>
>>29334336
308 typically has more velocity
not always, but typically
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.