[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do these exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: torx.jpg (95 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
torx.jpg
95 KB, 880x660
It's one of the reasons why I love Emerson's so much, even thought they have fallen behind in steel quality/price for a while. They use screws that you can actually tighten with everyday common tools.

What is the reason for these Torx "Star Bits" to make such a huge presence in the knife market?
>>
They designed it so the commies wouldn't be able to disassemble our weapons and steal designs.

I don't know if that's true i just made it up.
>>
File: 1443384188619.jpg (368 KB, 1363x903) Image search: [Google]
1443384188619.jpg
368 KB, 1363x903
>>29325885
A. Most are normal imperial or metric Allan heads
B. If you don't own at least a set of standard torx bits (because you're too poorfag for toed screwdrivers) then you're a failure as a man and need to head to Sears and get your tool chest up to snuff
C. Because they don't strip as easily
>>
>>29325885

Torx are great for automated assembly systems, positive grip and nearly impossible to strip out. If you do strip them out than you did something horribly, horribly wrong.
>>
>>29325885
But emerson are shit regardless of what screw they use.
>>
File: baitcareful.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baitcareful.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>29326096
>>
>>29326065

Phillips was designed to "cam out" in order to use in assembly lines before torque sensors, Anon.
>>
>>29325885
>don't strip as easy
>provide more applicable torque
This is why there is almost no insert screws that use Philips
>>
>>29326065
>nearly impossible to strip out
I work with these these things every day. They strip out all the time. It's so bad that the screw can only be used once, If you try to use it a second time it's almost guaranteed to strip out. So many screws have just been thrown away because of this.
>>
>>29328045

You must be doing something wrong than. Never had one fail. I've wrecked shitty bits, but never a screw.
>>
I think guns should have flat screws or hex.

(You have to be some kind of retard to strip a flat head screw.)
>>
>>29328628
Flat head screws strip all the fucking time, are you retarded? It's the most primitive and least effective screw head type.
>>
>>29328698
Sure, if you use a wood working screwdriver in them. Use a correct hollow-ground screwdriver and they work great
>>
>>29328698
>Flat head screws strip all the fucking time, are you retarded?
I'd have to ask you that same question. the only time I ever really have a problem with screws stripping is phillips. I've actually cut a slot in phillips head screws before so I could jam a flathead in them.
>>
>>29328710
The screwdriver isn't the issue, it's the fact that the slot is rarely deep enough to prevent camming out and stripping under high torque. The second you have a slight bevel on the slot, you have to fight to keep the driver engaged.

It was the first screw design, and there's a reason all those other ones were invented. The only thing it has going for it is simplicity.
>>
>>29328698
This, maybe bigger ones don't strip as often, but the tiny thin sided fuck you screws on the old rifles I work on are a pain in the ass to take out.
>>
>>29328967
it is EXACTLY the issue. Camming out? it's because you're using a woodworking tip. Buy a basic gunsmithing book and educate yourself.

The other ones were invented for other reasons- automation -as mentioned - was one of them.
>>
>>29328045
You must be using the wrong size of Torx driver.
>>
File: 100_1754.jpg (258 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
100_1754.jpg
258 KB, 1382x778
OP get yourself a couple sets of these.

The smaller green set has some smaller T# in it.
>>
>>29325885
>Not having every head type designed in your tool box.
I shiggy diggy. It's like you don't even use Whitworth threads either.
>>
Use an impact screwdriver. Nothing ever strips with that since there is a positive force against the screw head while rotating.
>>
>>29325979
>C. Because they don't strip as easily

Torx bits are fucking trash, mechanical fitter by trade and I'd choose Allen screws anyday over Torx and the best of the lot that I've used is Ribe bits but they're less common unless you're working with Euro stuff.
>>
>>29329252
If you're going fast and jamming the driver in crooked you'll have problems.
>>
>>29328045
In my experience torx kill bits more often than the screw.

I get that you shouldn't over-tighten screws but when you have to re tighten it over and over because it keeps backing out...
>>
>>29329420
That is exactly why torx was invented. All these anti-torx fags need to either git gud or git >>>/out/
>>
>>29329508
I know why torx exists the blame lies with the engineers for using them in a design where they can't be properly torqued.
>>
>>29329387
>>29329387
Going fast? I'm talking about getting the fucking things undone after having been in place for 10/15 years, the failure rates of Torx bits are atrocious, both Allen and Ribe are significantly more reliable, Torx are just a product of mechanised production and there have been a few superior alternatives over the years, just none with the commercial success. I feel a bit sorry for Snap-on with the number of Torx bits they replace in my industry.
>>
>>29328045
wat. I loosen and tighten literally dozens of torx screws a day (machinist on a machine with a shit ton of inserts to deal with. Some tools have 50 inserts alone!). The screws are good for tons of repeated uses. It's the bits that seem to die more than anything (Wiha brand, so they're quality). Our T20ip's in particular drive a insert screw to 100 in/lbs and tend to twist at the tip after awhile. The T15ip's seem to just slowly loose their edges to wear until it's more similar to a cylinder than a torx bit. For the most part, we use air guns to loosen and tighten, though the 100 in/lbs T20ip we loosen with a breaker bar and torque to spec with a torque wrench. We only have a couple non-ip torx screw inserts around, and they hardly ever need to be changed due to the short run time on the tool, but those seem to be decent as well. It definitely holds up to multiple cycles.
>>
File: Torx_Torx_Plus.jpg (52 KB, 672x302) Image search: [Google]
Torx_Torx_Plus.jpg
52 KB, 672x302
>>29330238
Torx plus is a fair bit better than Torx though, getting closer to the Ribe arrangement, problem is fuck all things use them compared to normal Torx. I don't actually mind Torx plus and all my tool bars retain their bits with those fasteners.
>>
>>29329019
>defending an outdated and objectively inferior screw type
>>
>>29325979
I don't own any tools besides a small screwdriver for my computer.
>>
>>29325885
>What is the reason for these Torx "Star Bits" to make such a huge presence in the knife market?

They don't strip
>>
>>29330577
Compared to what?
>>
>>29330935
Other comparably priced and widely available options.
>>
>>29325885
Gee anon idk who would want to make you have to spend shekels to buy new wrenches hmmm????

Look more closely at the shape...

Every fuckin time.
>>
>>29328710
>wood working screwdriver
>>29329019
>it's because you're using a woodworking tip
Chippie here. I've only got about twenty five years experience, so I'll need you ladies to educate me - what exactly is a "woodworking screwdriver"?

>>29329188
>Use an impact screwdriver. Nothing ever strips with that since there is a positive force against the screw head while rotating
I don't think an impact driver does what you think it does. Again though, I've only been doing this for a quarter of a century, so if you have time to bring me up to speed on how a machine designed specifically to produce as much torque as possible can't strip a posi head, I'm all ears.
>>
>>29331066
I'm assuming he's referring to flat grind vs hollow grind. Never really heard of it being referred to as a woodworking tip, but then again, I am not a wood worker.

Also, I think he is referring to a manual impact screw driver, where you hit the end with a hammer (proving downward force as well as rotational), rather than the one you plug into a compressed air line which spins a fly wheel which hammers at intervals to create torque (rotational force only). I'll admit, I've never used one though I have heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUSuSn_QZmk

Vid is one in action I found.
>>
File: no.gif (2 MB, 286x210) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
2 MB, 286x210
>>29330983
Even the creators of Torx know it's substandard, that's why they came up with Torx plus to keep up with polygrip and pentalobe designs.

But hey, it had commercial success, that automatically makes it a better option right?
>>
>/k/ - Screws
>>
>>29328045
Fucking this, every time I work on my jeep those screws get btfo. Maybe because it's almost 30 years old and every bolt is ceased but still, I can't tell you how many I have had to drill out
>>
>>29330571
nu-male detected
>>
>>29328045
I had a torx bolt shear off on me the other day. Did not strip though. Fucker was able to put down plenty of torque trying to free itself from loctite before it gave up the ghosr.
>>
>>29325979
>sears in 2016
Fucking disgusting
>>
torx has become a fad for some reason. they are more resistant to stripping vs. hex head, but you need special tools.

polydrive ist even more resistant to stripping and it works perfectly with standard hex drives.
>>
File: security_torx_bits_argh.jpg (33 KB, 800x684) Image search: [Google]
security_torx_bits_argh.jpg
33 KB, 800x684
>>29331057
It's not just the one or two screwdrivers or 1/4 bits you have to replace when going to torx fasteners.
As a former electronics service technician, you need various lengths of screwdrivers, sockets with 1/8, 1/4, and even 3/8 drive.
It's a pain in the ass to to see the bit twisted from removing a stubbornly tight fastener.
Then you run into the pictured security versions.
So you end with a shopping basket full of more tools than just one 33 piece set.
>>
File: 1454269752326.jpg (78 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1454269752326.jpg
78 KB, 550x550
>>
>>29333660
>based clutch
>>
>>29333660
There is also a 5 point torx instead of 6.
With and without the center prong for "security".
Fuckit, out comes the dremel, cut a slot in it or drill it out.
>>
>>29333841
Grab a punch and smash the middle prong.
>>
>>29331701
Nah, just moved out of my hippy liberal parents house. They wouldn't allow any tools in the house because they were "dangerous".

No hammers, no drills, we only had a couple of small knives and my pen multi-tool from Fry's. I'm saving up for a nice toolkit.
>>
>>29330414
I'm kind of having trouble visualizing why Torx Plus is actually superior though.
>>
>>29333857
Nah, I just put all my bits on a lathe and drilled the centers out, converting them nicely.
>>
>>29331736
this
>>
>>29333931
tbqh they're fine for having a wide range of bits for low-duty household use. I'm not gonna order off McMaster-Carr every time I want to get my girlfriend/parents a household repair kit.
>>
>>29333857
But how do you get around the 5 points for the star instead of 6? Nothing pisses me off when all I need to do is replace a fuse on a giggle toy and find out the manufacturer came up with a new fastener style. fuckers. It's passive aggressive engineering.
>>
>>29333867

Holy shit are they stupid or something?

I mean there is not wanting a radial arm saw in the house because they tend to kick towards the user and then there is your parents.
>>
>>29334088

Get piece of copper, brass, something soft. Start pounding it into the piece until its formed to it.
>>
>>29333900
Contact angle.

Look up involute gear.
>>
File: 1452274566733.gif (3 MB, 658x800) Image search: [Google]
1452274566733.gif
3 MB, 658x800
>>29333867
>liberal hippy parents
>wouldn't let you have a babby killing screwdriver set
>cantwakeup.jpg

>I'm saving up for a nice toolkit
You can get a craftsman set of their cheapo chink line of pliers/screwdrivers/wrenches for under 50 bucks. Supplement it with a throwaway bit set for common fasteners. Get literally any nail hammer, a 1.5lb ballpeen, a corded power drill, and a jig saw.

If you have 100-150 dollarydoos, you can buy every tool you'll need for normal household shit. Hand tools aren't like guns, it's better to have a shitload of cheap tools than too few good ones.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.