[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what would you use to defend your sheep from un-tethered dogs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
what would you use to defend your sheep from un-tethered dogs? anybody here have to deal with cunts from the city letting their dogs loose and mauling their livestock?
>>
a rifle
>>
A gun obviously.
>>
>>29324560
that is why I prefer to have goats, and a jenny or 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BpI0yAVek
>>
>>29324678
You always have to have at least one jackass.
>>
File: Welsh_Sheepdog[1].jpg (112 KB, 644x596) Image search: [Google]
Welsh_Sheepdog[1].jpg
112 KB, 644x596
Other dogs.
>>
Where in NZ are you m80?
>>
File: llamasAtopHill.jpg (64 KB, 584x413) Image search: [Google]
llamasAtopHill.jpg
64 KB, 584x413
>not open-fielding a couple assault llamas on your land

what are you doing mate
>>
>>29324560
A sling and a stout walking stick. We going full shepherd.
>>
>>29324780

those things can be vicious. My mom's friend used to run a llama farm back when I was a wee lad, and one of them turned around and unleashed a fountain of steaming turd pebbles on me when I went to give him a piece of fruit
>>
>>29324560
>what would you use to defend your sheep from un-tethered dogs?

a 12 gauge
>>
I had issues with Coyotes when I ran a meat goat foam. Kill one and lay it in the path that they are coming in from. Usually keeps them away. There was still nothing more fun though than sitting on your back deck in the evenings popping off .22LR rounds at Coyotes.
>>
If 5.56 is good enough for yotes its good enough for stray dogs.
>>
>>29324938

I've killed them with less. 5.56 would drop them in their tracks.
>>

or a guarding animal
>>
File: guardllama.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
guardllama.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
llamas
>Most research on the effectiveness of guard llamas has been done with sheep. A 1990 study by Iowa State University found that 80% of sheep producers with guard llamas rated them as effective or very effective. The study found average rates of loss to predators fell from 21% to 7% after the introduction of a guard llama.[1] In other studies, over half of guard llamas completely eliminated losses due to predators. Dogs and coyotes have been injured and even killed by llamas.[3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBfcXpnShQ
>>
>>29324866
But anon, what if they're out in the field and you are by your lovely rural home with your wife?

I personally would use a .308 with a decent optic. Cheap, small enough round to be portable, still got the full size stopping power.
>>
>>29324741
This is correct.
>>
>>29325054
damn, I was going to say gun

but now, 100% sold on assult Llamas
>>
>>29325975
I don't think it's mutually exclusive.

If you hear loud llama sounds, get ready to shoot some dogs.
>>
File: #infecting.jpg (3 KB, 125x116) Image search: [Google]
#infecting.jpg
3 KB, 125x116
>get a tranquilizer dart gun
>shoot the dog, steal it
>every time the neighbor gets a new one do the same
>start an illegal dog fighting ring
>become NFL superstar
>mfw I am michael vick
>>
Personally? My buddies in the ATF so it's not like he'd turn it down if I asked.
>>
>>29324678
When do we start weaponizing attack donkeys?
>>
>>29326123
>*BOOM*
>*BOOM*
>*CRASH*
>honey what's that?
>it's nothing go back to bed
>*REHHHH ONGH ONNGH REHHH*
>QUICK GET UNDER THE BED I'M GETTING THE NUGGET
>>
>>29324560
In most places you are justified in killing the dogs if they are in dangering your livestock like that.
Check with your local laws but you should be in the clear about killing them.
>>
>>29324560
fences and guardian dogs (great pyrenees, for example)
>>
I shot a dog with a long bow once. Wild dogs are pretty gnarly fuckers.
>>
>>29324887
>meat goat foam
>>
>>29324560

a few Russian bear dogs?
>>
>>29324560
How many did you lose, anon?
>>
>>29325676
>But anon, what if they're out in the field and you are by your lovely rural home with your wife?

Slugs.
>>
>>29324780
This is actually a viable and used solution. Farmers near me have them among cows and other farm animals because they can and WILL stomp the life out of any animal that comes into the pen. They are extremely vicious and kill coyotes no problem.
>>
File: Donkey.jpg (24 KB, 423x347) Image search: [Google]
Donkey.jpg
24 KB, 423x347
>>29326226
Soon.
>>
>>29324741
My thought as well.
>>
>>29324780
this or a donkey
>>
I have dealt with feral dogs.
One Blue Healer working dog is enough to keep them away from the flock. Working dogs are very protective and will always get between the feral and the flock.
I also take the 303 mk V with me on the bike.
>>
>>29324560
Ideally a semi auto .223. Given I am in Australia a pump action .223.

Fucking hate wild dogs. They do a shitload of damage and can be right cunts to hunt and kill.
>>
>>29331594
This. Donkeys will easily kill a dog or coyote going after livestock. If you want a guardian animal, it basically comes down to dog, llama, or donkey.
>>
File: Cane_Pastore_Abruzzese_Abruzzo.jpg (170 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
Cane_Pastore_Abruzzese_Abruzzo.jpg
170 KB, 500x401
Do you realize "Shepherd" dogs are called like that for a reason?
If "un-tethered dogs" are a problem, you get bigger, meaner, loyal sheep herding dogs to fuck their shit up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maremma_Sheepdog

These have been used for centuries against wolves in my country.
>>
>>29331770
what if the city slickers start bringing untethered assault llamas by your property huh? what then?
>>
>>29326123
>ATF Weapons Confiscation Team
>>
>>29332067
Then you better be alpacing your bags, and move your ass to better farmland, further from the city
>>
>>29332067
then you bring in the gorillas. And then the cold winter will take care of the gorillas.
>>
File: castle_butte.jpg (1 MB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
castle_butte.jpg
1 MB, 1440x960
Where do you even live where you have issues like this? Is it a small hobby farm or acreage close to a city or near a national park?

Around here people who raise animals usually own all the land they can see for miles around. Coyotes are the only potential threat. The chance of city people showing up on their land and letting dogs run wild is almost inconceivable.

The distance neighboring dogs would have to travel would be pretty vast, but sometimes they will make the trip. Usually dogs from the next ranch over will be trained dogs anyway so they are safe around livestock. They are usually only ever lured over by a bitch in heat.
>>
>>29333333
Fucking check'd, lad!
>>
>>29324741
>>29326318
/thread

But since you're asking /k/, I suggest AP minefields, automatic turrets, tripwired fougasses and explosives collars triggered by the sheep's death. Keep watch nearby with a 81mm mortar, and don't forget to bring some illumination rounds in case of a night attack.

Don't forget mustard gas dispersors in case everything else has failed.
>>
>>29324560
just call the ATF to come and they can kill every dog within a 10 mile radius.
>>
>>29324560
Donkeys. I already use them to protect my livestock.
>>
>>29324560
>started with ak74
>moved to ak47
>now have ar15
and a german shepherd named rambo that's as big as me and territorial as fuck.
>>
>>29324560

I shit posted in the Snake shooting thread about this the other day. But it is a totally valid issue.

Non lethal scare traps can be a good deterrent. Do you have access to those little string pop fireworks where you tie them on door handles and they make a pop when opened? tie one to a fence post and put a scrap of tough gristly meat on it. They run up and tug the treat and get a small burn on their nose and run off.

Corral style pig trap where they go into a small structure with food and it closes behind them.

Predator calls or make barking noises to lure them in then pop them with .223 on up.
>>
>>29333788

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkioRo8pcM

ATF down unda
>>
>>29333713
this is actually the best you can do. Very effective. Mean as fuck
>>
File: 1414036378031.jpg (37 KB, 534x547) Image search: [Google]
1414036378031.jpg
37 KB, 534x547
>>29324887
>meat goat foam
>>
>>29333333
Goddamn anon.
Puns and that get?

You are a role model for us all
>>
A bigass Sheepdog of course
>>
>>29324887
>meat goat foam

I know what you meant but jesus christ I'm just imagining this disgusting meat spray
>>
>>29324818
That sounds horrible, I hope you didn't give the fruit to him
>>
Donkey or sheep dog
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.