[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun Building Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (339 KB, 1000x1509) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
339 KB, 1000x1509
Alright /k/, I want to build my first handgun and I have a few questions.

I have a current start off budget of $500 and yes this is going to be a poorfag build. But I am in no rush to complete this project so I will buy more parts as I earn money.

>Pic related is what I want the end result to look like.

Anyways, my first purchase is going to be the Stealth Arms Phantom Jig + GI frame. ~$350

For this I am given an option for a Raw or Bead Blasted finish. What's the difference and which one looks better?

Also an Auto Ordnance Parkerized GI slide. ~$140
I know this slide isn't black, but this is the closest I can find. Is it okay if I just spray paint it black?

Is there any websites/ brands, books, or better ways you recommend /k/?

Any advice will be appreciated.

>Also post your built guns
>>
Bumping this.
>>
File: image.jpg (380 KB, 1729x2580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
380 KB, 1729x2580
>>29316278
Thanks anon!
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 450x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 450x308
Self bump
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 1200x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 1200x608
>>29316558
And Another one
>>
Goddamnit night /k/
I'm going to microwave some macaroni
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 1200x801
Bumping with some Anon's custom revolver
>>
>spray painting guns
Jesus Christ, don't be such a nigger. Buy an unfinished slide and duracoat/cerakote it black.
>>
>>29317070
>Dont spray paint it you nigger
>DURACOAT IT

oh the irony
>>
Bumping this.
>>
>>29317070
>>29317471
But AR fags do it all the time
And fuck paying $250 for unfinished slides
>>
>>29317630
Anon i know, i was pointing out that duracoat, at the end of the day is just fucking spray paint for guns. its the fireclean of finishes.

anyway send that shit to birdsong
>>
>>29317776
Well fuck man I just want a cheap black slide.
>>
Have fun fitting everything together.
>>
File: 1458160157658.gif (585 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
1458160157658.gif
585 KB, 400x284
>Using anything other than Wilson Combat magazines for your 1911
>>
>>29316256
Ok first off, are you 21? Can you legally buy a pistol?
>Caspian frames start at $180 for a 100% frame
Caspian is good shit. Like seriously, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and Wilson Combat use Caspian frames.
>they do require fitting

Raw finishes are for people bluing/parkerizing the frame. Bead blasted is for the wundercoatings and cerakote. A raw finish will require final polishing, you WILL scratch it up. It's unavoidable.

Use as many Ed Brown parts as you can afford. They are the undisputed #1 of 1911 parts.

You will spend more on 100%-necessary tools than you will on the parts.
>ejector staking tool
>sear cutting jig
>lug cutting tool
>trigger track stone
>frame rail stone (also works on slide rails)
>good files. No seriously GOOD files, not your Harbor Freight bullshit.

TAKE YOUR GODDAMN TIME fitting the barrel hood and bushing. Tight bushing=tight groups. Ideally you will NEED a bushing wrench to take the pistol apart, and it should require some muscle.

No you can't use spraypaint. It's nearly impossible to get a good finish with and it'll wear off very very rapidly.

I think Sam Hatfield and Bob Marvel have Youtube videos. Sam is/was an AMU pistol smith and Bob Marvel is world renowned for building high end 1911's. Both teach at various gunsmithing schools and have a resume longer than your animu queue.
>>
>>29318019
OK. Things you can buy cheap on:
>barrel bushing
>trigger/trigger bar
>MSH
>barrel (do NOT buy a "drop in" barrel, they're not actually drop in unless your frame's looser than a Thai hooker)
>grips
>sights
>firing pin block
>firing pin

Be careful which size firing pin your purchased slide requires. Many actually utilize the .38super/.40/9mm diameter firing pin. They cost the same but it'll save you headache later.

Also you need to decide which sight style you want. There's 4: Bomar, LPA, Novak, and classic A1. Each requires a different sight milling.

Don't buy progressive-rate springs (Wolff), they make tuning the gun a royal pain.

Getting the extractor tuned just right is an art. It takes practice.
>>
>>29318116
TAKE YOUR TIME. You can't put metal back on, and these parts are expensive. Do your research. Use good light and a good/clean workbench.

Use a sharpie on surfaces you're working on to highlight high/low spots.

Check your progress often, the difference between "doesn't fit" and "too loose" is often less than a thousandth of an inch, which is like 1 pass with a file.
>>
>>29318019
>>29318116
>>29318142
Damn man. Have you built your own 1911 or have you done this much research?
>>
File: image.jpg (667 KB, 1682x1088) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
667 KB, 1682x1088
>>
>>29318227
Yeah I built my own. Actually went to gunsmithing school, and was taught by Sam Hatfield.
>>
>>29318227
Also, I tried to find my 1911 binder, maybe scan a few pages in for you, but fuck if I know where it went. That was a decade ago.
>>
BLACK SLIDE
send it to a place that does melonite treatments
QP, QPQ, Q, QPQ on stainless apparently gives a natural flat darek earth color.
blacknitride.com/whatis.html
>>
File: diy blueing bluing.png (467 KB, 1341x2500) Image search: [Google]
diy blueing bluing.png
467 KB, 1341x2500
also this/3
>>
File: home gunsmith fag.png (511 KB, 1340x2337) Image search: [Google]
home gunsmith fag.png
511 KB, 1340x2337
>>29316256
I cant find my infopic of some trip making a 1911 barrel, but theres good info in this one, even if its not specifically a pistol

>>29318712
>>29318728
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.