[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I become A Private Investigator and other /k/ jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (271 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
271 KB, 1152x768
I'm off work now and feel like I been going nowhere and always had the thought in the back of my mind about becoming a Private Investigator/Detective. In Texas it seems pretty easy compared too a lot of other places in the country and world too get a license or job at a agency. I know the work ain't all/at all gonna be hard boiled misadventures or be all that glamorous.

Any suggests or reasons I should go through with it? I'm a night person, I'm keen too detail and reading people, good at doing mundane and repetitive shit. Got a Colt detective special and a hand me down long coat from my dad. But like most work I bet it's gonna be hard getting clients or getting hired at a firm etc. because I bet the market is oversaturated.

I had a pain in the ass time just getting a shit constitution job that lasted a few weeks, and only had that because my sister's dumbass stoner boyfriend was higher up in the crew and he's even getting less hours, knowledgeable to do more mundane shitty office jobs(data entry, mail room clerk) but every fucking place now needs a degree. Some places you need a degree too mix fucking paint or print silkscreens. In a few years you can't serve coffee in this country without a degree. Looking for other jobs is shit all I see is uber driver and trucker jobs.
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1334x750
>>29314544
My CDS.
>>
>>29314544
>I'm keen too detail
>too

can't proofread, checks out.
>>
>>29314544
I am a firefighter/paramedic.

I pull a few OT shifts a month which nets me a 6 figure income.

I have lots of time off.

With my income and time off I can pursue firearms as a hobby and am not limited to poor fag guns.

Be an adult and get a real job and stop asking a Turkish cartoon video board to critique jobs you will probably never ever have.
>>
>>29316375
>Firefighter/paramedic
>six figure income
Niggah what?
>>
>>29317221

West Coast, PNW in particular. We are the highest paid in the nation. Average hourly wage is 25-45 an hour and we are salaried in the 5000-9000 a month range depending on rank and class.
>>
>>29314544
Keep your shitstained life in texas.
You left a proper state to drive down with a case of whiskey. Now, the party's over and you can't handle going back.
Texas is love.
Texas is life.
>>
>>29317258
Fuck.

Nurses still make more.
Mfw I'm a nurse.
>>
>>29317878
Not that I'm dick waving, but nurses don't get pensions and or cadillac benefits.

I was fucking a nurse and then realize although she made more than I did, she was totally eye balling my bennies. Its like I got to experience a dependopotamus and I'm not even a milfag
>>
Kek. My mom was a private investigator in the 90s. One time this guy was claiming disability due to losing his sense of smell or something to that effect and she set up some kind of fake meeting and brought me with to crack a stink bomb in the guys office to see if he reacted to it.

Turned out the guy was full of shit and she recorded the whole thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 640x480
Would this be a good back up private dick gun?
>>
File: 1449881904583.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1449881904583.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>29320029
Should be good. I'd prefer something in .45 or .357, but that's just me.
>>
Why do you think the most important thing is a handgun?
>>
File: image.jpg (378 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
378 KB, 1334x750
>>29320050
I have a .357, S&W model 13, got a hammer shrouded model 49 and a CDS I posted from earlier in the thread. Only a .25 pocket pistol(my dad has a S&W model 659/6506 stainless 9mm that's basically mine) but was thinking either that Astra or a Makaov would make a good pocket pistol.
>>
>should I become a gangstalker and violate people's privacy, be disrespectful as fuck, while hypocritically thinking you're honorable and doing a public service

No..You should not.
>>
>>29320081
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>29320104
What should I do?
>>
>>29314544
>Got a Colt detective special and a hand me down long coat
Your hired. How do you feel about dealing with dingy broads?
>>
>>29320858
I actually own those items but said more as a sarcastic side note.
>>
File: image.jpg (322 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
322 KB, 1600x1200
>>29320050
What guns would you carry, say main arm and spare rod back up? Maybe a third gun if it's small, like a sub compact, singlestack or snub nose.
>>
>>29314544
Private investigators are about as /k/ as mall cops. You could free lance if you really fucking wanted to, but you'd probably find more work with a PI firm, insurance company, or security company. You'll have a normal boss, papers to file, emails to read, and you may spend way more time at a desk than you thought you would. There are some other related jobs to consider that may offer steadier work like process service, repossession, and background investigation.
>>
>>29314544
so you want to be a movie gumshoe and not an actual private eye. a lot of that shit is computer heavy now and its a lot of digging up dirt to use in civil disputes, custody battles, child support etc. It isnt, nor has it ever really been an awesome job
>>
>>29320104
What fucking PI thinks they're doing a public service? No private dick has such illusions when he's staking out some guy with a bad back because his boss who doesn't want to pay workman's comp, or stalking some possessive schmuck's ex-wife, just KNOWING he's gonna see her face on the six o'clock news when his client murders her in a few months.
>>
>>29314544
Most PI work is done now for
>insurance
>cheating spouses
>computer crimes (mostly in relation to the first two)

Unless youre handy with computers you wont get much work, and even then most of your work will just be spying on people for mostly petty shit. Unless you get really good connections and can work for somebody rich or famous, or get hired by some big company (which your best chance is moving to NYC, LA or some big city and making a name for yourself) your fantasies of being Humphrey Bogart will remain just that
>>
>>29320029
>>29320093
>>29321802
easy princess, check you local laws first. PI don't always get to have a gun and even if you do its not easy in some places.
just get something basic. a glock and maybe a .38 as a back up. Youre not getting into any shootouts like the movies
>>
File: 1428186640509.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1428186640509.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
honestly, you sound like a teenage twerp whos seen to many movies. You really think youre going to be some hot shit PI in his own office, getting murder mystery cases and playing by your own rules? Id say Go join your local PD and try to be a detective, but I doubt youd make it that far
>>
>>29322298
It seems he doesn't want to go to college which is something police departments are requiring more and more. I know the border patrol is still taking people with no higher education, but prowling the Sonoran desert in the middle of the summer, often alone, while smugglers take potshots at you isn't the most appealing work. You might get "lucky" and work the Canadian border, but if you think our southern frontier is long and rugged, woo lad.
>>
>>29322251

People can be extremely naive and have very misplaced senses of right and wrong.
>>
File: chinatown-final[1].jpg (56 KB, 957x410) Image search: [Google]
chinatown-final[1].jpg
56 KB, 957x410
>YFW you thought you were Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep and find your you're Jack Nicholson in Chinatown.
>>
Alright, I did the P.I. thing for about a year after getting out of the navy. I was stuck in California at the time, so laws might be different in other states.

100% of my work was insurance related. With the way laws are set up for divorces now, the whole following a spouse around to catch them doing shit thing doesn't exist. I was getting divorced at the time, so I did my homework, and even talked to my lawyer about digging for dirt on soon-to-be-ex's, and basically even if you found something the judge isn't going to give a fuck.

Tresspassing and privacy laws are huge. Meaning all video footage had to be "in public", like front yard and open garages and shit. See someone doing something in their backyard over the fence? Can't use it. Someone doing something inside their house in front of a window? Can't use it. Footage taken on while on the person's private property? Can't use it. And speaking of footage...

Audio recordings and verbal statements were meaningless, it had to be video and pictures. And for something movement related, like faking an injury, video only.

Also interaction with the target is severly frowned upon.

So all this leads into the modern P.I. being a shit job. I would literally post up in a minivan parked on the street, but in view of the targets house, usually as early as 4am, and sit there. Ussually with no shade, in socal. Hottest it got was 115 in the van during summer. Sometimes I got to do fun shot, or play James bomb and sneak/bullshit my way into places, but that was like a once or twice a month deal. 95% of the job is sitting in from of someone house, dying of heat stroke, hoping for a 20 second clip of them bending over to pick up a newspaper.
>>
>>29316375
> firefighters getting rich sucking the taxpayers dry
tell me, how many fires have you actually stopped this past month? how many people were actually in danger?
>>
>>29325691
Cont.

The pay was shit. Like $10 an hour, and the justification is that you can get a ton of overtime so pay averaged out to be more. Except when you don't, and it didn't. The industry is not reliable at all when it comes to working hours, for obvious reasons. Some weeks I made $250, some I made almost $2000. But rent is the same every month.

You WILL be working for someone. The is a ton of negative stigma about P.I.'s out there form the government, so it is a huge birch and crazy expensive to get all the licensing and deal to do your own thing.

This might not be universal, but the firm I worked for did not give a fuck about the investigators when it came to shot happening on the job. Basically if you broke laws like speed limits, running red lights, tresspassing, etc while on a case, their response would be that they do not condone that, and you are on your own. But if you lose sight of a target because you DIDN'T break the law, your ads would be in the grinder. I was following some Mexican around one day, who was going 65 in the middle of suburbia. Kids playing outside and everything. After he ran his 3rd stop sign I backed off, and lost sight of him, and was almost fired over it. $10 an hour will not get you a good lawyer.

I was on call 24/7. I had to give a weeks notice if I wanted to drink, leave the county, etc. And even then they could just say no. I gave 6 months notice about my sister's wedding, 2 days before the wedding we got a huge case let minute, and my manager told me I got to choose: go to my sisters wedding, or keep my job.

There's more I could get into, but basically of all the jobs I've had, even working at a shoe store in the mall when I was 17, being a P.I. was the worst job out of all of them. It made life unlivable, and I really don't mind non-traditional working hours and shedules. If you want weekends off, or can't do 64 hour work days with zero notice (that was a hell of a weekend), you're going to be miserable.
>>
Anyone here doing border security along the US border? Sounds like a really /k/ job.
>>
>>29325927
It's not.
My cousin does it.

You just sit there all day doing absolutely nothing like in any other job. Further, the excitement of getting to catch an illegal does not make up having to live in a shitty border city.
>>
>>29325714
faggot
>>
>>29325927
The better question is:

Anybody in /k/ spent time with the border militias?

I recently saw Cartel Land (and Sicario) and the temptation is real...
>>
>>29325691
i guess you were a MA before?
>>
>>29325927
after wasting hours of my life doing uneventful watchstanding I can already imagine the anticlimactic calm of nothingness looking over that fence
>>
>>29326437
That fence will soon become the trump wall. Cartels will try to bomb it with mortars and they will need men to defend it.
>>
>>29326422
No, ET. MA's are faggots. At least all the ones I dealt with.
>>
Most of your investigation work is going to be at the hall of records/ the DMV
An overwhelming part of the job is FOIA requests and sitting in your car
That being said, stick with it and you'll learn a lot about your municipality. It's a pencil pusher career that has cool perks
>>
>>29326481
Can't argue that. Well what kind of work are you doing now?
>>
>>29325691
>>29325848
Not sure who you worked for but the privacy thing is not correct. "In public" may have been something that the contract wanted, but really if you have legal standing to be where you are, you can use the footage. If you can get permission to be in a two story house where you can see down onto a target location (say over a fence) then that would be usable as well.

Although, OP, take note. This is the state of the industry. Security work can be interesting and fulfilling but not at the basic levels. In those areas you want to be at least a supervisor, but really you want to manager or be administrative member.

The work that doesn't suck are the kinds of security that are more hidden in the industry. Things like Nuclear Security, Industrial Security Response, Government Oriented Private Contracting, Private Intelligence and Surveillance. These things are on different calibers though and requires education and licensing beyond the "Guard/Baton/Firearm/Misc" categories often associated with state governments.
>>
>>29326537
Site Supervisor for security at one of CITIgroup's big administrative campuses. In otherwords a professional babysitter. I've got like 45 shitty unarmed mall cops under me, which are basically 30 children, 10 sassy fat black chicks, and 5 life failures/wannabe cops/ex marines who can't hold a real job/a garage /k/ posters. Its paperwork: the job.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.