[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How reliable are these old Iver Johnson revolvers? I see tons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
How reliable are these old Iver Johnson revolvers? I see tons of them at my LGS and nobody ever touches them, do they just break really often?
>>
Either the price is too high
Its a revolver and not featured in the latest COD
Its in an unusual caliber
Buyers think they're ugly
Its an antique, buyers think they can't shoot it often in fear of breaking
Buyers don't know how good it is.

Why haven't you bought one OP?
>>
Mine was crap. Poorly timed, shit materials.
>>
>>29304251
The Jennings of its time.
>>
Ammo is hard to find and expensive if you do find it.
Many were made for black powder cartridges
They also have an issue with the springs breaking
Pass one them unless you only want a paper weight.
>>
>>29304251
>Iver Johnson's arms & cycle works

That does not inspire confidence.
>>
I want one to plink around with. Maybe use wax bullets or something, but I can never find one at a decent price near me. They're pretty cool since they're tiny and have the auto ejecting break action thing.
>>
>>29304251

If you want a cheap top-break just for the purpose of owning a top break, sure, why not.

However, if you want an actual gun save up for a Webley instead.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/5224287/kansas-city-handguns-for-sale--for-sale--mk-vi-webley

seriously, you can find a lot of them for less than 500 bucks.
>>
>>29304342

QUICK THING:

If one is labeled ".45ACP" then SKIP IT

While many Webleys can technically shoot .45 ACP, it screws up their barrels, hinges, and cylinders. They were designed to shoot .455 Webley, a much different cartridge. If you ever do fire .45 ACP out of it, make sure it's a much lighter load. (Though I can't reccommend shooting .45 out of a Webley EVER)

>felt important to mention this to you because I sent you a link to a .45 shaved Webley
>>
File: Webley-blown.jpg (35 KB, 550x467) Image search: [Google]
Webley-blown.jpg
35 KB, 550x467
>>29304399
Screws up their barrels hinges and cylinders?
Factory .45 ACP is a higher pressure than the .455 webley PROOF pressure. By firing .45 ACP in a Webley you are firing hot proof loads every shot. You would have to REALLY underload .45 ACP to get it to be in safe range
>>
>>29304399
As a Webley owner and enthusiast, this nigga is right.

Try to get a 38sw one unless you are dead set on .455 webley, it is easier to find, and a wonderful plinker. I use a 38 webley to teach people how to shoot. It is interesting/old enough and in a gentle caliber, so everyone likes it.

The internals are a bitch to work on though.
>>
>>29304251
they can and will wear out of time faster than anything made more recently

that said, if you can get it cheap and without a lot of cylinder movement, you'd be fine
>>
>>29304436
Imagine somebody talking about .45 ACP handloads for their webley

>Hey Jim!
>Hey, Tod.
>What're ya doin?
>Handloading .45 for my webley.
>Oh, really? What're you running through her?
>Five.
>Five ..grains?
>No, five individual powder granules.
>>
Are those old calibers hard to reload for? I'd like to get something chambered in .32 or .38 S&W someday.
>>
>>29305631
I have a webley in 38s&w that i reload for and its easy.
you just need the brass, can use regular .357 bullets (accuracy might not be the best depending on size of the bore), and then either smokeless powder (or black powder).
The older american top breaks need to use mild loads since they are older and didnt use the best metal for them.
My webley i can load up a 200gr .361 bullet and get it going 650-700fps, but im above the max load in my loading manual.
>>
If you want an education, search on Clark Magnuson (particularly in rec.guns on Google Groups). Dude used to deliberately over-charge and KB old Iver Johnson revolvers "to demonstrate how safe they are"
>>
>>29304399
I have a friend that has a webley with a shaved cylinder and he loads up .45 auto rim with light loads.
>>
>>29304342
I want a webley but I don't. Ammo prices are ridiculous.
>>
>>29305631
38 S&W is so easy it is a great caliber to learn how to reload on. Most manual have info, brass and bullets are easy to find.

It is just great. Hunter's supply make some great hard cast bullets in .358-359 diameter.
>>
I've got a hammerless one and it's great, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a good to great condition though
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.