[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just turned 18 and have a couple hundred bucks to spend,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: ar15 (1).jpg (105 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
ar15 (1).jpg
105 KB, 720x540
So I just turned 18 and have a couple hundred bucks to spend, maybe more if I get any gifts from family members. I'm planning on ordering a Mosin within the next two days. Before I do, I just wanted to know if there are any other good rifles for cheap that aren't .22 as I've already got two of those. I'm not very up to date on pricing so I figured a Mosin would just be the best bet. I also thought about having my dad buy a Tokarev and gift it to me, which to my knowledge would be legal, but I decided I'd rather have a rifle so I can go hunting and shit. By the way I'm in Commiefornia until I'm out of college unfortunately. Thanks for any help in advance.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>29293168
Mosins require research up the wazoo for a first gun.

Aim for a 10/22 buddy.
>>
>>29293185
Just got one and I didn't realize how much of a pain in the ass they are to clean and specifically the trigger assemblys fickle-ness
>>
>>29293168
Maybe a SKS.
>>
>>29293168
fellow kommiefornian hur. Big 5 has alright deals on Yugo Mausers, but if you're willing to wait, get one shipped to an FFL. If you can find a decent one it should come out cheaper. I love my Mosin, but the cheap ammos dried up bad, with spam cans at 0.35/rd excluding shipping on Ammoseek, though it's still like half the price/rd as 8mm.

If you're looking for a hunting rifle, you might want to get something lighter. A lot of people find 91/30's a bit heavy for humping, though I've never had much of a problem given I'm a pretty big guy. You could get around it with an m44, but that ups the price a bit.

Maybe an SKS like the other Anon said, or a Henry Lever action?
>>
>>29293168
Who wants to tell OP that the pointy ends of the rounds go up, not down.
>>
File: IMG_5161.jpg (38 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5161.jpg
38 KB, 429x410
>>29293185

>Mosins require research up the wazoo for a first gun.
>>
>>29293168
where in Cali. 805 fag here.
>>
Not him but 661 with 27c surp on tap
>>
>>29293168
Savage 110.
>>
>>29296278
What is 27c?
[email protected]
>>
>>29296505
27 cent nugget food...
>>
If you're looking for a fun do-it-all, I'd suggest looking at .357 Magnum carbines, like the Marlin 1894C, Rossi M92, Henry Big Boy, and other handy lever-actions. They're pretty much 50 States legal with a large variety of ammunition and power comparable with .30-30, 7.62x39, & .300 AAC. Plus you have a variety of ammo to include plinking, target-shooting, hunting, self defense, and even shot-shells (snake shot).
>>
>>29293185
>Mosins require research up the wazoo for a first gun.

Only if you want to resell it for a profit later. Literally as long as the barrel isn't shot out and/or pitted then you're fine.
>>
>>29296607
well, if you want to come out to a nice range, in Santa Barbara, on a monday (that's my day off that i go) give me a shout.
>>
>>29293168
literally any new production .308 will serve you better for anything except withstanding needless abuse. the savage axis seems to be pretty well recommended here.
>>
File: Buy a shotgun.jpg (10 KB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
Buy a shotgun.jpg
10 KB, 260x195
Mosins suck man. They arent very accurate and cant shoot very far even if you get a good one. Trigger is shit, and most of them have shot out or pitted barrels. Buy a new pump action shotgun
>badass for home defense
>can use for skeet shooting or hunting
>can use slugs for extra distance

Or save your money and buy a $3-400 more modern rifle (SKS, Modern bolt action, level action, etc)

Trust me, you will either mod out your mosin until you have sunk $600 in it and it will still only be worth 2, or youll sell it for something better after you fire it a few times
>>
>>29296789
*lever* action not level action
>>
Ruger Americans are pretty good OP, and they aren't too expensive.
>>
>>29293168
Tokarevs are unsafe to carry with one in the chamber
Get a cz 52 or cz 83/82 if you want a milsurp pistol
>>
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFSS

Buy this, you'll thank me later
>>
File: IMG_1811.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1811.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>29296789
Don't shoot very far? What in the actual fuck? That aside I agree with getting a shotgun or more modern rifle as a first gun. Shotguns are great fun for the money and you can't beat the versatility.
>>
>>29293168
SKS
>>
File: 7.62x54.jpg (86 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
7.62x54.jpg
86 KB, 800x400
>>29297083
The 7.62x54 round drops like a rock at distance
>>
>>29297303
Not him, but what are the ballistics like out of a psl or svd? In all fairness, 7.62x54r was never made for extreme long range. That's my it's only modern use at a squad level is in designated marksman role
>>
>>29297303
This smells like bullshit. That's more like 7.62x39.
>>
>>29297390
Compared to calibers like 30.06, 308, etc the 7.62x54 falls rather fast past 3-400 and very fast past 5. Check for yourself if you don't like the chart I provided
>>
>>29296762
Will do.
>>
>>29293168
I know I'll prob get a lot of shit here bit Hi Point 995 classic or TI (newer design). Holds 10 rounds in the mag and is easily one of my most accurate carbines. Lifetime warranty and about $250 + tax when I got mine a few years ago.
>>
>>29297603
If you go this route, just know that hi-points do not feel hollow points very well. You should only use fmj ammo
>>
>>29297624
I never shot hollow points through mine, all fmj. That being said, fun little pinker or truck gun. Good for OP cause cheap, and can take a beating.
>>
>>29297603
And for around the same price you ca. Buy a far superior cz 82 or 83
>>
>>29297661
OP isn't 21 which is why I mentioned a rifle. But I concur can't go wrong with CZ.
>>
>>29297693
Op mentioned he was considering getting his dad to get him a Tokarev if legal in his area
>>
Just get a Remington 783. Only about $350 at your local Cabelas. I know .308 is a little pricey at the moment, but honestly the only surplus rifles worth getting these days are the K11 or the K31 in my opinion, and those are getting harder to find and run about $400-700.
>>
OP here. I ended up having to leave my computer right after posting this thread and forgot about it till now. First off thanks for all the advice you've all just saved me a few hundred bucks. And I'm in San Diego for those wondering. I want an SKS but I can't find one online that ships to CA and whenever I go to the gun show they're in shit condition or missing something. I would go for an AK but I hate to see a gun fucking castrated like that. And regarding shotguns the local range (P2K for any others in SD) had either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 up on the wall for $200. I'm seriously considering that. And I don't think I'll do the pistol work around just yet. We have a H&R Model 29 that will do for now but I'll definitely get one before I turn 21. Again thanks for all the advice guys.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.