[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How big can a greatsword realistically get and still be wield-able?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: D5Jomyn.jpg (58 KB, 672x910) Image search: [Google]
D5Jomyn.jpg
58 KB, 672x910
How big can a greatsword realistically get and still be wield-able?
>>
My penis is so large, nobody can wield it
>>
File: bsk.png (2 MB, 2478x1778) Image search: [Google]
bsk.png
2 MB, 2478x1778
Ask the black swordsman
>>
a bit smaller than that.

what you've pictured is a parade sword, carried in front of a procession.

generally speaking, its not size, but weight - more than about 3.5kg, 7lbs, is the point where they're too unwieldy to use as weapons.

most actual two-handers for fighting with are no bigger than the user's shoulder height.
>>
Depends on your height really. If it's too long you'll end up hitting it into the ground when you make a swing. So that guy is too small for that sword for sure.
>>
>>29281725
Wew
>>
>>29281761
literal cuck
>>
>>29281701
about that size
>>
>>29281780
Again, that is a Parade sword.

These were not weapons of war. they were carried in the front of processions on the feast days of saints, in medieval cities. They're made excessively large, so they could be seen by the crowd.
>>
depends on how big a guy you are
>>
>>29281857
for you
>>
File: kek2.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
kek2.gif
871 KB, 245x230
>>29281821
>berserk
>cuck
>>
File: 1434021295596.jpg (24 KB, 440x321) Image search: [Google]
1434021295596.jpg
24 KB, 440x321
>>29281767
This. There are swords up to ten pounds that are definitely useable, but seven pounds is typical for two handers that are as long as the man is tall.

>>29281780
>>29281780
>If it's too long you'll end up hitting it into the ground when you make a swing.
Where does this bullshit made up rule come from? You don't swing a sword like that. Typical one handed swords through the ages had between 28" and 34" long blades, with rapiers and backswords getting up to 40" long at times. All of which are long enough to hit the ground when swinging like a retard. Maybe learn how to use a sword first if it's really big I guess?

And to everyone saying "muh parade sword", yes there were parade swords, but there is also a lot of documentation on swords that long being used in warfare during the Renaissance.
>>
>>29281701
6 feet and 9 pounds for a very strong man.
>>
>>29281938
OP here. Thanks for the (sorta) answers. I also thought that was a parade sword, but if it could be an actual fighting weapon I'm beyond pleased.
>>
>>29282669
>but if it could be an actual fighting weapon I'm beyond pleased.

its not.

how many times do we have to say "this is a parade sword" ?
>>
>>29281821
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>29281857
And for whom
>>
Make the blade half an inch wide and let it be 30 feet
>>
>>29281725

Ur mum is the only one that can weild mine and owns the only sheath that can take it>>29281725
>>
>>29282971
you can say it all you like but you saying doesn't make it true back up your BS with evidence
>>
>>29281956
Nothing personal kid.
>>
>>29281767
Afaik that sword is believed to have belonged to this guy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia
>>
>>29281821
In the first chapter he was fuckin an apostle. Doesn't that make casks a cuck?
>>
>>29281885
It did happen though.
>>
>>29281767
>its not size, but weight
If you still want to be able to move about in confine spaces and fit through doorway.
I'd say size is also a important factor
>inb4 zweihander/ montante/ spadone aren't built for confine spaces
>>
>>29282987
Wasn't there one of these pasta's about being a faggot a while back?
I mean, shit, you're definately a faggot. But I remember seeing one in a thread and suddenly realizing that the pasta was about blowing men and not being a seal.
>>
File: bkugs.jpg (271 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bkugs.jpg
271 KB, 1280x720
>>29281938
Dark Souls swing animations.

At a certain point it's impractical to even forge swords that long and you switch to polearms.
>>
>be 7ft tall powerlifter
>wield two handed weapons with one hand

you wish you were this nordic
>>
>>29289091
Post pics, my anonymous friend.
>>
File: Franken_Bamberg_Gondel_400px.jpg (107 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
Franken_Bamberg_Gondel_400px.jpg
107 KB, 450x338
>>29281938
That explains what happened to all those Dopplelsöldner after the war was over.
>>
File: ix1024-1025.jpg (18 KB, 557x800) Image search: [Google]
ix1024-1025.jpg
18 KB, 557x800
>>29287042
>you can say it all you like but you saying doesn't make it true back up your BS with evidence

Here you go then.
Royal Armouries Collection nos. IX.1024, and IX.1025.

"bearing swords". These two have been in the collection of the Royal armouries since at least 1420, and are recorded in the 1420 inventory, if I recall, as "y parre berynge swrd" ( One pair (of) bearing swords).
both these swords match that of the Fries Museum example in almost every detail - the large octagonal pommel, the broad blade of oakeshott type XIII fashion, with an identical Passau maker's mark inlaid on the blades. The cross width and form are identical, as are the fundamental dimensions.

These are bearing, or parade swords.
>>
File: juOkf4n.jpg (56 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
juOkf4n.jpg
56 KB, 600x800
>>29289516
and here's a pic of them with someone in shot, to give you a better sense of scale.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.