[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the TIE X1 unarmed because it carried very important pilots?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 950x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 950x600
Was the TIE X1 unarmed because it carried very important pilots?
>>
>>29269817
Does OP lack a brain because he's been skullfucked to hell and back?
>>
>>29269817
It was armed. The little red dots under the cockpit are laser cannons. In contrast to the usual bullshit EU explanations, tie fighters actually are pretty advanced and fit a very Soviet Union style flight method:
>Manueverable as fuck
>low cost

And also incorporates some American stuff
>very advanced targeting computers and sensors
>possibly stealth design, note how often the rebels don't notice ties until the ties are right on top of them
>>
>>29269859
What about the TIE interceptors?
>>
>>29269907
Mostly designed to be more agile, accelerate more, etc. Also more dakka with the wing cannons.
In the films fighter shields seem to suck dick, so shields are apparently meme-tier at the fighter level in Star Wars. Hyperdrive doesn't make sense anymore than designing an f-18 to fly around the world- way more efficient to have a carrier (star destroyer) haul a bunch to one spot then dump them to do their work.
>>
>>29269859
Also I forgot to mention imperial Electronic warfare is near god-tier, massive electronic Comms interference hits the rebels all the damn time.
>>
>>29270039
Not to mention Imperials could force other starships out of hyperspeed
>>
>>29269817
Snowspeeders are very low maneuverable and expensive a TIE fighter could destroy one in seconds
>>
>>29270105
Yup. As much as people think they must suck, the empire was brutally effective at war, only losing to the force AKA destiny AKA plot.

Under its own inertia it probably would have lasted much longer.

Hell TFA shows that they still exist as a sizable faction, and the republic just lost its senate, bulk of their military/intelligence (assuming its on their capital), and probably their central bank (again assuming its on their capital).
>>
>>29270144
Plus they can't into space ops, so far as I know.
>>
File: image.png (158 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
image.png
158 KB, 360x270
>>29270159
Palpatine is disappointed even when he is dead
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 1003x760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 1003x760
>>29269817
They not ass good as the Korean made y wings
>>
>>29270159
You also have to keep in mind that the new First Order TIEs now have shields on them as well. Meanwhile, the special forces version of it has the two man cockpit and a hyperdrive. I was pretty shocked that they actually had the capability to GTFO in what - at first glance - looked like any other TIE Fighter on The Finalizer.

Also, I love that name.
>>
https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU

Rebels btfo
>>
>>29270263
Yeah I was surprised too.

We will have to see what new capabilities Star Wars tech has in the new series, I'm more familiar with older stuff (inb4 nerd). But the fact is we saw a bunch of missiles and stuff in the new one, so apparently the imps are moving toward more varied weaponry.

>>29270248
Y-wings BTFO'd in A New Hope Death Star run though.

But at least the "y-wing bomber" meme is slowly dying now that people are remembering that they were meant to be star fighters, not bombers.
>>
>>29270224
Without proof in the coming movies, Palpatine is very much alive as a force ghost and probably can be found in one of his many clones.
>>
>>29270274
Obligatory awesome vid, thanks anon
>>
>>29269994
>In the films fighter shields seem to suck dick
I really enjoyed this concept in the TIE games and the movies. For me fighter shields are so much cooler when they're actually like, a shield you know? They help deflect glancing blows from ripping off a wing or something, but direct hits will fuck you up. Made for a lot more tension with how vulnerable everything was. I hate when fighter shields are these things that just absorb hit after hit and must be depleted entirely before the actual ship can get hit.
>>
>>29270318
Well, J.J. Abrams is a massive Star Wars fanboy - it's why he made Star Trek so Star Wars like - and it also looks like he really appreciates the bad guys being actually dangerous too. The First Order Stormtrooopers are apparently almost as good as Clonetroopers, they use squad support weapons more, are trained in Anti-Jedi melee combat and so forth.

And the Finalizer apparently uses lightsaber crystals to boost its firepower.
>>
>>29270318
They will always be bombers
>>
>>29270426
>anti-jedi
I just hate that Lucas ruined the mystery of Jedi that such things had to be created. Well, and let's face it, the EU didn't help either.
>>
>>29270557
When you have a rogue jedi at the head of one of the New Order's branches, there's no big mystery.
>>
>>29270606
I mean in the meta sense.
>>
>>29270174
They're meant to be light atmospheric cargo haulers, with no deflector shields, and armor plating scavenged from a Y wing. They're essentially a Cessna Caravan flown by some dude with an AK and another guy with a harpoon gun.
>>
>>29270426
To be fair if us infantry faced "decapitation by laser sword" as a fairly regular cause of death I'm sure we would develop counter measures.
>>
>>29270557
Well EU is dead per disney.
>>
>>29270775
Either way, it's shit.
>>
>tfw you still haven't seen the new Star Wars movie
Lack of time, and spare money (bills first) has not made the last few months fun.

Oh well, at least the shit storm has finally stopped.
>>
>>29271021
Yeah, this is bullshit. It's already been 4 months and still no BR rip. Fuck those Disney jews.
>>
Why does the First Order not have TIE Interceptors?

What the fuck?
>>
>>29271021
Im waiting for the Mr. Plinkett review.
>>
>>29271021
It's OK. Even Vader didn't have enough money to upgrade his suit.
>>
>>29271068

"Snoke, why don't we have TIE Interceptors? That contractor invented them right?"

"That's nonsense! All we have are Fighters, and I INVENTED them! Sienar Fleet Systems is THE DEVIL!"
>>
>>29270760
Yep, that describes most rebel equipment.

>>29270556
Y-wing stuff has always been inconsistent- the bomber designation was in part to add variety to Rogue squadron and vidya game stuff. Originally they were just "old fighters". Then they decided to make the Xwing basically be the F-15 IN SPAAAAAAACE!!

>>29270362
I dig it too, it's better than Elite dangerous where I'm blasting for a few minutes at a time before something dies.
>>
>>29271191
Yeah, I played maybe 3 or so hours of Elite Dangerous, and it was just so, soooo slow. Games are so much more involved when minor slip ups fuck you over, part of what made Hotline Miami boom so well.
>>
>>29271135
Was Raith Sienar the Pierre Sprey of the SW universe?
>>
>>29271292

He was definitely the Empire's most brilliant designer.
>>
>>29271191
I don't know what version of TIE Fighter you guys were playing, but shields worked exactly like he said they didn't.

Absorbing hit after hit until entirely depleted.

>>29271252
And the problem with E:D's combat has to do with those fucking shield charging banks, and how you can stack like 8 of them on a large ship. Takes all the skill out of combat.
>>
>>29269817
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
>>
>>29270557
>>29270775
>>29270908
It wasn't entirely shit.

And with Disney taking over, we might get some really cool appearances in the movies by Thrawn.

>implying everyone here doesn't want to see the rebels get cucked by Grand Admiral Thrawn and his BBC
>>
>>29271644

Even better, we might get a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation.

The Resistance making common cause with Thrawn to weaken the First Order, and Thrawn using the Resistance to pave the way for his assuming complete control.

In the end, Thrawn plays the Resistance for fools and becomes the dominant leader of the ex-Imperials.

We also get to see Pellaeon, the "Old Man Of The Empire" who gets to live through a lot of hell.
>>
File: 1457282495394.jpg (163 KB, 1243x832) Image search: [Google]
1457282495394.jpg
163 KB, 1243x832
>>29270318
I always figured the Y-Wing was a dedicated fighter-attack aircraft.

Like a space A6.
>>
>>29271894
I always pegged it as a fighter-bomber, thanks to the video games making is slow, tough, and hold a large amount of ordnance.
>>
>>29271894
It's "official use" has changed so much that there are like 30 slightly different variants, it's hard to keep track.

In rogue squadron and battlefront it's often portrayed as a slow and armored attack craft like the A-10.

In original use it was supposed to be a fighter, just an old one.

Now people think it's just meant to be a fighter-bomber.

Tbf it is a fairly unfulfilled role in the rebel military.

X-wing = multi role
A-wing = A2A and interceptor work
Y-Wing = B-17
B-wing = A-6 strike/attack option

That was the OLD pantheon anyway.

Then we have new stuff:
E-wing = troubled replacement for X-wing, but X-wing wound up being cheaper despite being aged as shit
K-wing: design influenced by Pierre Sprey, featuring a fuck-huge turret and bombs out the ass but not much AA option other than the fuck huge turret and armor.
>>
>>29272222
I want to see the new new X-wing, apparently in TFA was the T-70 while the proper New Republic military is on the T-80.
>>
>>29272244
The X-wing T-80 is likely not terribly different, just as the T-70 is probably just a larger scale mass produced T-65 x wing with a few changes
>>
>>29272284
I know, but I just like the idea of the New Republic progressing a little towards the whole 'golden age' aesthetically minded look that the prequels had going rather than the used and abused style of the originals.
>>
>>29270775
Good. The EU was fucking autistic.

>>29271021
>what is the bay or piracy
>>
>>29272307
Fair, and I get the appeal. Personally as much as people bitched about the prequels the set and design was perfectly fine to me, it makes sense that a trilogy about the decadent and corrupt last days of the republic would have roman-esque architecture and clothing (Naboo).

And Naboo ships and 50s chrome was sleek as shit.
>>
>>29272328

I loved the Imperial Civil War. It's so plausible the Empire would fall into division after Endor and the death of Palpatine.

I hate that we have yet to see Imperials fighting Imperials on screen.
>>
>>29272355
This is what has always annoyed me about the prequels. There's a lot of good things in them. The movies are just such awful films that the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater. If there had been better people involved or at least somebody with the balls to say no to George, we might've had three more quality entries.
>>
>>29272375
There's a decent chance we won't.

The first order is like the nazi holdouts in argentina, except instead of dying in their homes imagine if they actually built a working nuclear weapon and set it off in Washington DC, and Germany partly survived and still had a nazi-filled army. Such a major attack would possibly inspire the surviving reich to reunite around the new guys.

Since the First Order BTFO'd the republic capital and their Pearl Harbor, we will likely see a bunch of imperial warlords go "nows our chance!" and reunite with the First Order.
>>
>>29272375
Sure, but then you read the page on Darth Vader's suit of armor and the copious amounts of overflowing autism and you realize it's worth it.
>>
>>29272402
It's worth noting that they didn't BTFO Coruscant. They BTFO'd the temporary regional planet they were using at the time.
>>29272412
Isn't that in new canon too?
>>
>>29272383
In part I think people fail to understand how George lucas films.

Whether we like it or not, we got the films he wanted us to see. The Prequels are 100% fine to him, and nothing we say changes it. He wanted a more light hearted swashbuckling space film, and we got more swashbuckling lightsaber fights rather than the samurai battles he emulated in the originals. Even in TFA Kylo Ren punching himself was a legitimate samurai tactic to staunch blood loss via induced swelling.

In the prequels we have chrome ships, techno-gothic architecture on geonosis, and lots of droids.

Just like the movies he watched as a kid. Lucas is a huge film history buff, and he wanted a classic-style action/adventure movie, complete with the overacting of the era.

He made the movie EXACTLY as he wanted to, and our concerns and wants were entirely secondary.

Say what you want, but that's based as fuck and shows that he only wanted to make a movie, finance didn't matter that much (it was always guaranteed to be a financial hit).

The prequels aren't my favorite, but I see where he was going with it.
>>
File: Admiral_piett.png (1 MB, 1045x816) Image search: [Google]
Admiral_piett.png
1 MB, 1045x816
>>29272402

Possibly. Note that none of the First Order guys are the old guard.

It's entirely possible the old Imperials would say the First Order is fucking crazy. They've been at peace now for 30 years, and now the First Order wants to drag them back into hell.

A lot of Imperial officers and men were not foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics, they were disciplined professionals.
>>
>>29272472
That's all true, but it doesn't stop people from having the right to call the prequels out for being poorly written and directed films. Don't make me start with the sand quotes, anon.
>>
>>29272444
Yes I know, which raises more questions.

1- Does this mean Coruscant is imperial controlled?
2- How do they move their whole senate? do they use a big ass ship? such a move isn't unprecedented for sci fi- think High Charity from Halo. Star Wars could easily build a "government ship" the size of DC and land it somewhere.
3- pretty sure Ginger Hitler mentioned one of the shots striking at the heart of the New Republic fleet, or maybe that was Leia talking about it.

It's still a pretty big deal and symbolizes republic weakness.
>>
>>29272222
>This autism
It's literally a sliding scale of weight class, with one end being fighter/interceptor and the other end being bomber. Also you mixed up the B-wing and Y-Wing there.
>>
>>29272444
Idk, it's the wookiepedia page about Darth Vader's armor. It's literally painful to read about the emperor palpatine surgical reconstruction center and how Vader's suit was shitty because of budget cuts, and how the boots didn't fit him properly and caused him pain to walk, and how he was always off balance and prone to falling over if the suit malfunctioned, and how there's a light on the chest piece that literally does nothing but beep, and how the robot surgeons polished Vader's helmet to try and distract palpatine from the short cuts they took in the procedures.

Like it's full on autist and deserves to die.
>>
>>29272500
See I think the sand quotes are deliberately bad though. I think they are trying to show Anakin awkwardly trying to brush past a shitty part of his life, kinda like how if you mention alcohol around an alcoholic they kinda make some awkward comment trying to push past it. And to be fair he has probably flirted with exactly one girl, ever, in his life and he is talking to her.

I'm not saying they are the best in any way, I just think there are things there people miss because it isn't as black and white as the OT.
>>
>>29272485

Because honestly, I find that story much more interesting.

Bunch of Imperial guys retire after Endor, living on one of the worlds that was disarmed but never went Rebel. They're older and wiser now, and correctly know the Rebels are not what they thought.

Then the First Order comes back, and they don't exactly welcome the return. For all their complicated feelings towards the Republic, the First Order scares them. Bunch of crazy irresponsible kids running wild.
>>
>>29272485
This is true, Ginger Hitler certainly is a throwback to the Space Nazis, but this time more /pol/ and less professional /k/ (though that may give /k/ too much credit.
>>
>>29272501
Like it or not the special editions are canon, and one of the shots added to RotJ was people celebrating on Coruscant. I remember somebody talking about stuff mentioned in the novels that the decision to have the roaming capital was to stop politics getting too focused on inner worlds. If I had to guess, Coruscant would still be the 'actual' capital of the Republic.
>>
>>29272501

The peace couldn't last 30 years if the surviving Imperial military (the majority of which survived Endor) didn't agree to it. Rump state my ass. They'd get generous peace terms.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 393x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 393x222
>>29272513
Fair enough, my bad. But nonetheless it does get lazy when it's always "heavy is automatically X".

Ties have a fuckton of variants though, i will dig up the flow chart if I have it.

>fuck can't find it

Oh well, have a TIE Hunter. Ion cannon, proton torpedoes, hyperdrive, fastest variant, all good fun.
>>
File: 6254727_orig.jpg (40 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
6254727_orig.jpg
40 KB, 480x480
>>29272537

Unfortunately Abrams is too busy re-enacting "A New Hope" to consider the complexities of the original Imperials dealing with the rise of the crazy younger generation.

I have no doubt the young brats of the First Order consider their older predecessors beneath them.
>>
>>29272520
I like Red Letter Media too, anon. I was amazed by how little they embellished in that video. Again, that stuff is new, Disney-approved canon.
>>29272529
I think you're giving George Lucas far too much credit there. That entire romance is one of the most awkward and unnatural things ever put to film, and not that kind of awkward.
>>
>>29272608
It's possible I am, I'm not like a film major or anything.

If I recall Vader's original suit was going to be replaced with a newer one but vader was apparently paranoid as shit about Palpatine killing him when he was under, and by then he became accustomed to the suit.
>>
>>29272578
TIEs only have a fuckton of varients because every single game, novel and comic needs their own special snowflake TIEs.
>>
OH GOD HOW DID I GET HERE WHY DO I HAVE TREADS
>>
>>29272681
Very true, then they never get seen again...

>tie phantoms literally turn invisible and wreck rebel ships.
>rebels destroy the manufacturing site
>lel guess this idea is a dud!! Into the trash it goes!
>what's the next idea?

>tie potato- we cut off the spots and it grows new tie potatoes!

>god dammit jim you're a genius! here's a billion credits
>>
>>29272681

Screw new variants.

I want to see actual TIE Units. I'm sick of it being the "181st" show on every channel, all day.

The Empire would not have just one known TIE Unit.
>>
>>29272708
Tbf I think all the tie cockpits were more or less meant to be modular, so any tie pilot can crawl into any other tie variant fighter and know where everything is.

And if you have a few million cockpits lying around and need a cockpit for a ground weapon you might be tempted to use that rather than build your own from scratch.

It's Slav tier but not the absolute worst option
>>
>>29272738
>The Empire would not have just one known TIE Unit
the 181st is a special snowflake squadron that operates against the entire Imperial Military doctrine, and only exists because some fucking EU author needed a special snowflake squadron for his mary sue Soontir Fel.
>>
>>29270426
>Well, J.J. Abrams is a massive Star Wars fanboy
Too bad he can't direct for shit.
>>
>>29272908
Karen Travis's?

She's after halo now.
>>
>>29270557
>Lucas ruined the mystery of Jedi
No he didn't. If anything, TCWs and the prequels made the Force even more mysterious. Not even the Jedi understand what the Force is fully.

>>29270775
>EU is dead per disney
No, It was killed by Kathleen Kennedy and the Story group. It was dead either way since it was never considered canon in the first place.
>>
>>29272501
>Does this mean Coruscant is imperial controlled?
No, the Empire mostly dissolved only a year after Endor. The surviving members fucked off into the Unknown regions creating the First Order.

>2
No, the New Republic just moved their capital to another world like Courscant in a different system. They had 30 years to create it. We moved from Philly to DC.
>3
The Fleet was downsized and located at the Republic capital. so it all went boom

Aftermath mostly covers your questions though.
>>
>>29273057
But they describe the capital as shifting I thought, which would imply it is fairly frequent
>>
File: Mr OP stop this shitty thread.jpg (43 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
Mr OP stop this shitty thread.jpg
43 KB, 500x365
>>29269817
Red Leader, standing by.
>>
>>29273154
It was rotated around Hosnian Prime and Chandrila but all their eggs were in one basket at the time.
>>
>>29270159
The Empire only lost the battle of Endor because the Emperor was killed. He used his battle meditation to keep all of his forces organized. After he was killed the lost cohesion and the rebels were able to prevail.
>>
File: harold.jpg (81 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
81 KB, 650x427
>>29272578
Rebel Strike master race space fighter game
>>
>>29273219
That's not canon anymore.

The loss of the Death Star, Executor and most of the seasoned senior staff including Piett, Vader and Palpatine sent everyone into turmoil. The Imperials panicked and retreated. They started in-fighting because Palpatine never suspected he would die.
>>
>>29271682
That's too smart for Disney's soft reboots
>>
>>29272666
Palpatine was kinda a dick too, so the idea that he deliberately made vader's suit into something shitty isn't out of the question either.
>>
>>29273209
Still, why pick hosnian prime? Literally no one has heard of this place. At least chandrilla makes sense, but why not use coruscant? Maybe there was too much imperial sympathizers or something, idk.

>>29273219
Frankly it makes sense to me that the second their brand new Death Star exploded, flagship allahu ackbar'd, and leadership imploded that most of the imperial forces would nope the fuck out in a panic.

Imagine if in the middle of a fight in falujah the marines suddenly saw a flash of light and a mushroom cloud that killed the president and Vice President on a poorly thought out visit to Iraq, and also the CO of the marine base. That's a pretty decent reason to fall back in a panic until you figure out wtf happened.
>>
>>29273645
New to the thread but your entire post is fucking spot-on.

Judging by the way TFA shows the stormtroopers and their amazing increase in skill/competence/believability I hope that the next movie or games or whatever touches up on all this stuff.
>>
>>29273645
>why pick hosnian prime? Literally no one has heard of this place
can't say canonically, but in my headcanon it makes perfect sense.

It's a "fresh start" diplomatically, for the new republic. A world that isn't associated with being the seat of imperial power, but is still close enough to the inner core to be galactically relevant, and is farther away from the space-DMZ declared in the Galactic Concordance
>>
File: the-last-starfighter_still10.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the-last-starfighter_still10.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>29270318
what a starfighter might look like
>>
>>29272965
>prequels made the Force even more mysterious
>force is based on bacteria
kay.
>>
>>29273954
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNvUsTBGyE

This scene gave me a 7 year old boner.
>>
>>29270318
Clone Wars tv show confirmed them to be bombers when Anakin and Ahsoka went on a wacky bombing run adventure with a bunch of clones
>>
>>29273954
>mfw I picked that up on blu-ray for $5 one day
Not a bad movie, honestly.

>>29273970
I think the head-canon of most Star Wars fans has turned that into "these bacteria show up because you have the force", instead of being the cause for it.
>>
>>29274048
>I think the head-canon of most Star Wars fans has turned that into "these bacteria show up because you have the force", instead of being the cause for it.
Aww well too bad your head canon doesn't mean shit. Lucas fucked it.
>>
File: battle droid.jpg (64 KB, 290x406) Image search: [Google]
battle droid.jpg
64 KB, 290x406
Why didn't Anakin get himself a super battle droid arm when Dooku gave him the chop that would have been metal as fuck
>>
>>29274065
except for the tragedy of Dath Plagueis the Wise proved that to not be the case in detail
>>
>>29274099
Except it's never described in canon. It's a bunch of bogus that never existed with the original 3.
>>
>>29274119
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

100% Lucas grade cannon
>>
>>29274138
Yeah, he ruined it, what's your point? Yadda yadda he influenced the midichlorians, they still exist and it's still fucking stupid.
>>
>>29274079
Damn anon that would have been fucking cool and useful too.

>block a guy's lightsaber with one arm
>blast him with your other arm

Maybe his arm is more useful for lightsaber use though. That claw looks very primitive compared to his hand.
>>
>>29274178
hol up, i dun been a tard. My original post was meant to be responding to the guy you were making fun of (head cannon guy)
>>
>>29274213
Oh, fair.
>>
>>29274079
there's so much wicked awesome shit they could have done

like imagine Boba fett's gauntlets
no reason that miniaturized stuff couldn't have been fit in a cyber arm

>losing saber duel
>fuck you eat flame thrower at point blank range

>drop saber
>lulz grapple hook get over here!
although maybe not as necessary since they can force pull it, but still, never hurts to have options

would be OP as fuck
>>
>>29273900
I mean yeah that makes sense. But I can only imagine the special kind of bureaucratic hell that musta been to just move the whole damn capital.

>captain, ship #342561b is pulling out of hyperspace
>wtf who placed an order for a star destroyer?! This is a peaceful mission and we don't need to be seen with a battleship.
>sir it's not carrying any weapons.
>then what's with the cruiser... And why is its hangar full of crates?
>sir, those are tax forms, sir. Aa-Ac.
>>
>>29274241
I wouldn't actually say it's OP. It has no power or fuel source. You'd prolly only have only a blaster rifle's power cell worth of shots, or a short burst of flame. It's one thing to just kinda move around and hold shit, but to actually shoot shit?
>>
Thrawn was one of the rare not-shit parts of the EU. It's a shame we probably won't see him.
>>
>>29274200
We actually see Grevious do something similar in Clone Wars, granted he uses a third arm and a blaster to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjbBNQiS0s
>>
>>29274276
rumor has it hes coming to rebels
>>
>>29272761
Explain the benefits of having your primary weaponry dragging the ground
>>
File: Bren_Ten.jpg (51 KB, 758x650) Image search: [Google]
Bren_Ten.jpg
51 KB, 758x650
>>29273823
>Amazing increase in skill/competence

I'm glad that wasn't just me. I caught that in the first minutes and fell straight the fuck in love, down to the kind of lame stock that they ACTUALLY FUCKIN USE taped to their guns and just generally being space operators. I look forward to it.

Frankly I kind of hope it ends up sort of like Legacy did. Not that Legacy was great but I like the idea of the Empire eventually reforming and becoming unifying good guys, because fuck me if they haven't always looked awesome.
>>
File: 1449547163562.jpg (263 KB, 1780x1040) Image search: [Google]
1449547163562.jpg
263 KB, 1780x1040
>>29272578

Seiner Fleet Systems is the best fictional contractor ever.

TIE Defender best TIE.
>>
>>29274383
It annoyed me how bad the Imp Ties were getting eaten by the Xwings. Like it was bad in the Original but in the new one fuck. Might as well been chaff. I'd be sweet though if some Tie Defenders show up and mop the floor with the Rebellion though
>>
>>29274346
I don't think there are many beyond the basic premise of "crap we need tanks but have no great crew section design, nor do we have the resources on hand to make the,. Let's just use that pile of spare tie cockpits".

It was destined to be a bad tank, but it was a tank tank the imp remnant thought it needed at a price they could afford.

Probably woulda been better using refurbished Hellfires or something.
>>
>>29274267
>implying Vader wouldn't get super special tier 1 tech

I mean the dude is already a walking f-35 level money pit, throwing a few billion credits at R&D'ing a not-useless option wouldn't be a problem
>>
>>29274383
>tie star cruiser

but can it go ludicrous speed?
>>
>>29274492
Well you're advancing time a bit, the original question was why didn't he after Dooku first chopped his arm, so he wasn't really anyone too crazy amazing.

As for Vader, he DID get the spooper special treatment, any other guy, and he'd be dead, but his suit is geared towards and powered towards keeping him alive.
>>
>>29274352
Aside from the Thrawn stuff (and I suppose the video games), the only thing fro EU that I liked was that whole 'new empire'.

I thought Imperial Knights were a great concept too. Since that whole Light-Dark conflict has basically been the biggest thing fucking over the galaxy since forever.
>>
>>29273900
>It's a "fresh start" diplomatically,
Aftermath book confirms this. It is a fresh start and to tell the New Republic they will not repeat the same mistakes of old.

>>29273970
>force is based on bacteria
This is the most misunderstood aspect of the prequels. Contrary to what you think, the midichlorians are NOT the Force. Qui-gon clearly explains what they are. They are a simple conduit part of a much larger scheme. There's a major arc within the Clone Wars that examines this. I would highly recommend watching it.
>>
>>29274852
>There's a major arc within the Clone Wars that examines this. I would highly recommend watching it.
>theres a major arc in noncanon trash
kay
>>
>>29274892
But it IS canon, anon.
>>
>>29273645
>Still, why pick hosnian prime? Literally no one has heard of this place
because Jar Jar Abrams didn't have the balls to have the space nazis nuke coruscant
>>
>>29274892
Clone wars, rebels, and films survived the reset of the canon.

The sole exception is the 2D The Clone Wars series.

The 3D Clone Wars cartoon remains canon.
>>
>>29274912
But, it isn't actually.
>>
>>29274892
>>29274938
No, The Clone Wars is 100% canon. It's the only thing to survive out of the Storygroup wipe. I can't see how it would become non-canon. Lucas was personally involved in the project. It was his extension of the prequel films. He explains it was an opportunity to write some his wrongs.
>>
>>29274962
Nope.
>>
File: tNPASnw.png (3 MB, 1908x4870) Image search: [Google]
tNPASnw.png
3 MB, 1908x4870
>>29274989
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon
>Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film.
>>
>>29275076
Yeah, no lol. The movies are canon, all this trash is trash. Lucas sold his shit.
>>
>>29275121
>Lucas sold his shit.
Irrelevant.

You can disagree with the Storygroup but they have the ultimate authority on canon.
>>
>>29275208
Nope, they don't.
>>
File: 1450184256796.png (620 KB, 1065x1190) Image search: [Google]
1450184256796.png
620 KB, 1065x1190
>>29275076
>No Shadows of the Empire
>Tarding up the Fetts Nd the Mandalorians

For fucks sake.
>>
>>29272908
>>29272959
It was Micheal Stackpole, not Karen Travissty
>>
>>29274383
>tfw you will never operate innaspace with a TIE lone scout.
>>
>>29275352
Yea, everything prior to 2012 with the exception of TCW is non-canon. However, I'm sure elements of Shadows of the Empire will start appearing again. I mean the Outrider is in the SE.

Also, the Fetts were never suppose to be Mandalorian. This goes back to Empire Strikes Back. This idea mostly comes from the early 2000 with Attack of the Clones. Before that, Boba was a Stormtrooper trooper reject named Jaster Mereel before it got retconned. Then Karen came along and well the rest is history.
>>
>>29275208
>sold my baby
>BAWWW THEY'RE NOT TREATING MY BABY RIGHT!!
get btfo'd lucas
>>
File: 1456952726165.gif (2 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
1456952726165.gif
2 MB, 356x200
>>29275524
What?
>>
>>29271615
>tfw you will never flie a TIE Interceptor into battle against rebel scum
>you will never have a badass wingman watching your six
>you will never congratulate that cute chick from the bomber wing on her kills
>and have crazy after-mission sex with her in the cockpit of a TIE
Reality sucks.
>>
>>29275473
Actually he was a retired storm trooper. Before that he was part of some planet's local law enforcement, and got kicked out for murdering a (corrupt?) co-worker, or something.

I lost my copy of Tales of the Bounty Hunters forever ago, but he's actually not a young man by the time everything went down at Jabba's palace. He thinks about his knees bothering him, while he stays up all night guarding Leia, since Jabba gave her to him for a 'good time', and he wasn't interested but also didn't want to piss Jabba off by sending her back.
>>
>>29270159
Daily reminder that Palpatine was actually the good guy. He was aware of a massive extra-galactic invasion force, intent on colonizing and bioforming, that would be arriving within a few a few decades. The un-militaristic Old Republic would have been BTFOed extremely quickly and Palp knew this. That is why it was necessary to unite the galaxy as a militaristic empire, with a seemingly unnecessarily large military.
>>
>>29276042
>this is what empire cucks actually believe
>>
>>29272959
Her Republic Commando books were decent, what she did to Halo with the 'Kilo-5' Trilogy is unforgivable and one of the prime reasons (along with the Halo 5 plot, the comics, and the autism of the Spartan IVs) why I have purged Halo from my life entirely
>>
>>29276050
>The massive Imperial Military was only necessary to subjugate the Rebel Alliance to Restore The Republic.
>>
>>29269817
>See thread
>Cry that Empire at War's servers were taken down
>Only solution are shitty programs
>>
>>29276068
No the first RC book was decent then they start getting worse.
>>
Frankly it's all just shit writing desu
>>
u dark side fans might enjoy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djo_91jN3Pk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
>>
>>29272222
E-Wing and K-Wing aren't a thing anymore, they just pulled a Gen 4.5 on the T-65.
>>
File: 1332892948851.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1332892948851.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1200
>>29274383
From GOAT to boat

GOAT tier
>TIE Defender
>TIE Phantom
>TIE Interceptor

One-off tier
>TIE Advanced

Meh but great in numbers tier
>TIE Bomber
>TIE Fighter
>TIE Vanguard

Boat tier
>TIE Droid
>TIE Raptor

Nigga what are you doin' tier
>TIE Raptor Droid
>>
>>29276068
>purging Halo entirely
I got too invested in that universe to do that. I just rejected the canon of post-Halo 3 and substitute my own.
>>
>>29276084
The extragalactic invasion motivation was so late in the EU it's at best an outlier.

When you consider that the Milky Way has billions of stars it's understandable how big the imperial military would be if they were going for complete hegemony.
>>
>>29269836
probably.
>>
File: swywing13.jpg (28 KB, 592x349) Image search: [Google]
swywing13.jpg
28 KB, 592x349
>>29270318
>>29270556
>>29271894
>>29272206

Absolute Y-Wing fag here

The Y-Wings used in A New Hope were not the common version of the Y-Wing, but rather the 1-seater budget version, the BTL-A4 which had reduced shields and the canopy - mounted ion cannon was locked in the forward position.
There's also the Longprobe variant of the A4 that was used as a long range scout.

The BTL-S3 is the 2-seater Y-Wing we all think of, like the one from the N64 Rogue Squadron game. In that game, yeah, you were pretty much stuck doing bombing missions, but their true strength was attacking capital ships (they would later be phased out by the B-Wing for capital ship raids).

TL;DR: BTL-A4 Y-Wing = A New Hope explodey version
BTL-S3 Y-Wing = best fighter/bomber starfighterfu
>>
>>29274383
>TIE Crawler

we tank now
>>
>>29270159
Y'know, if they hadn't spent so much on the death stars and just made more star destroyers they might have won.
>>
>>29271644
Thrawn was one of the most pragmatic fictional commanders I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>29278414
Tbh the ywing missions in rogue squadron were some of the funniest ones.

Also wrecking shit with homing v-wing seeker missiles.

>>29278622
To be fair they built 25,000 some star destroyers, they planned several Death Stars in the long run to both be seige weapons (planetary shields are retard STRONK and can hold off invaders for a while) and movable bases. It's like if we built a moving Diego Garcia or Guam- sometimes it would be nice to move a port where you need it to go.

It's worth nothing that in terms of force-on force the rebels virtually always lost when they went up against the imperial proper instead of "random outer rim governor/third world tinpot dictator". Most fights went battle of Hoth rather than Battle of Endor

Makes me excited to see Star Wars:Rogue One, I wanna see some imperial operators. Black hawk down/Saving private Ryan with blasters, that's all I really want.
>>
>>29279042
I loved Assault on Kile II

I also remember the mission on Mon Cal, when you first encounter TIE Droids with the V-Wing
>at first: omg 2 fst I can't do this
>unlock cluster seekers: I don't afraid of anything
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (21 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
21 KB, 320x240
>>29278902

He'll play the Resistance for fools, presenting himself as a victimized alien (even wearing a different uniform) and declaring Pallaeon to be a "noble officer who took pity on his lowly state and set him free". Palleon would then propose "his own" idea to fight the tyranny of the First Order, making common cause against a shared enemy.

Thrawn would neglect to mention to them he was an Imperial Grand Admiral and that Pallaeon was actually his subordinate. And at some point, he would "my name is Khan" them and put on his true uniform.
>>
>>29273184
more like red eater standing by
>>
>>29271894
>A-6
Dude...
>>
File: 1456720140584.jpg (43 KB, 338x517) Image search: [Google]
1456720140584.jpg
43 KB, 338x517
>>29279287
my god, i can see the scene now

>name name is........Thrawn
>loud dramatic music
>main characters have no reaction, as they shouldnt, as only the audience can "appreciate" the ham fisted fan-service
>>
>>29277731
You shitting me? That fucking scene in Order 66 still chokes me up and I've reread the entire series four times now... I mean Hard Contact was great but oh my god how the fuck do Sgt. Skirata and the Nulls not make everything better?
>>
>>29281392
I know it's an A7, I didn't have any A6 pics on hand.
>>
>>29281496
Sorry man but that isn't an excuse... This isn't /pol/ or some shit you can't get away with that here.
>>
>>29281491
And what about all the glaring shit with the jedi that even carried over in her halo works. She just changes pre-established shit that does not fit with other works because she does not read anything anyone else writes in any group she works with and writes for.
>>
File: RIP AND TEAR.jpg (161 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
RIP AND TEAR.jpg
161 KB, 600x800
>>29269994
the true TIE fighters have no shields

interceptors do though
>>
>>29282068
Your franchise has been cursed with Karen Travis. We had to make a whole cartoon series to loss her off, I fear what halo will need to do to make her fuck off to her off brand tom Clancy circle jerk.
>>
>>29274346
This is the only thing that's gay, there should have been a bolt on central turret laser cannon, or mount quad laser cannon sponson mounts on the side like a WW1 tank.
>>
>>29273954
YES.

Very much like that. Or possibly this.

Star wars had some good points but abject ignorance of physics showed.
>>
>>29282179
Not him, but I don't think anything CAN be done since 343 seems on board with taking it in that direction.
>>
>>29282112
Nah, Interceptors are unshielded too.

Avengers and Defenders are, though.
>>
>>29269994
In the movies TIE's go down in a single hit, even glancing shots are disastrous.
Shielded fighters take several hits to down, and also movie, for all we know the fighters that go down could have taken several hits prior to the scene where they get blown up. The Millennium Falcon was shielded and could take quite a beating.
>>
>>29282422
In the movies they don't show you how a TIE can practically fly circles around a Y-wing, because of its higher speed and maneuverability.

As great as the Star Wars movies are, the good guys' victories come down to little more than plot immunity in most cases.
>>
>>29282290
They have been attempting to control her for a while and I believe she is no longer allowed to write for games after some of the backlash.
>>
File: speed chart star wars.jpg (47 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
speed chart star wars.jpg
47 KB, 600x412
>>29282503
TIE's are no faster than the Rebels they're chasing. Neener neener.
>>
>>29282522
Oh, so they're not completely retarded?

I still want to ignore everything that happened after Reach came out, though.
>>
>>29282529
First of all, that's a shit chart, that doesn't match a single depiction of the two craft facing each other in any movie or video game we've been given.

Second of all, it's being posted by Phil.
>>
>>29282585
It's the chart produced and used by the FX design team for RotJ. Don't have the link, sorry.
>>
>>29282422
>Falcon
IIRC it was supposed to have some sort of cruiser class shield rigged into it.
>>
>>29282585
This >>29282529

used to be the chart. But the ties have since been described as faster, or at the least crazy as fuck maneuverable
for the same speed.

>>29282267
It was just a re skin of Buck Rodgers and was supposed to be reminiscent of WW2 and WW1 dogfighting, realism didn't factor in. FFS they have a space wizard in As new hope and laser swords.

>>29282422
Scale seems to be a huge factor in shield strength. Millennium falcon was also heavily modified.

Watch the Death Star trench run. Note that most rebel fighters get BTFO'd by ties.

Note that previously the Death Star gunner says the rebels are too fast to hit with cannons.

I'm not saying shields are useless, but it's like the titanium tub on an A-10 - probably nice but avoiding being hit is way better, and also is probably expensive.

Star Wars rebels and clone wars continue to show that shields are not particularly strong, maybe able to survive a glancing hit or two, but star fighters are likely too small to power the bigger shields you see on the falcon or ghost.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.