[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to buy snap caps for anything that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: sss.jpg (156 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
156 KB, 750x1000
Is there any reason to buy snap caps for anything that's not a pistol when you can just pull the firing pin out of the bolt?

>inb4 live ammo always dangerous no matter what
>>
At gunshows or private sellers some people dont like you dry firing their guns so thats a way to dry fire without potentially damaging the gun(if its rimfire)
>>
>firing pin hitting snap cap is safe.
>firing pin hitting nothing will break it.
people who think this are retarded.
>>
>>29265051
I don't understand the question. What does something being a pistol or not have to do with whether or not snap caps are useful? You can pull the firing pin out of some handguns, and can't pull it out of some rifle and still have it function.
>>
>>29265231
Handguns are a bit more of a bitch to do, and snapcaps for those are cheap. Most centerfiles rifles on the other hand are easy to do and snapcaps are expensive.

And I'm in a debate because my family is a bit fuddy when it comes to guns

>Ammo shouldn't even be in the same room as the gun cause that's dangerous!
>Doors are the ultimate safety when it comes to guns
>The moment a round is in the gun, it could go off at any time no matter how far disassembled it is
>>
>>29265246
I'm still not grasping this. What are you trying to accomplish with snap caps? Action proving? Dry firing?
>>
>>29265230
>firing pin hitting snap cap is safe
>firing pin hitting bolt in area not explicitly designed to withstand impact hundreds of times when dry-firing like a sperg may damage it

I fail to see the problem here.
>>
>>29265254
I've got an M1 Garand, and stripping the first round from the clip seems to be a tad unreliable. So I've been messing with the action to see if I can improve it
>>
You can use snap caps on any gun for malfunction drills.

Also they're cool to have a friend mix in with live ammo to see if you're flinching to help with practice, this is mostly for pistols though.
>>
>>29265269
If you have loading equipment, you can just seat a bullet into a casing with now powder or primer. It will serve the same purpose.
>>
>>29265263
>firing pin hitting bolt
I think I found your problem

The HAMMER hitting an area of the bolt not designed for it is another thing, though
>>
>>29265287
I was just using live ammo after pulling the trigger group out of the rifle. Family sperged on me with a bunch of fuddlore shit. I'm just making sure I'm not insane when I say that a disassembled gun is no danger, even with live ammo.
>>
>>29265300
>Trigger group out,
Your family was right.
>Firing pin out,
Would've been a different story.
>>
>>29265051
pulling the firing pin out of a bolt may cause more problems then it solves
if you do it to an ar it can lock up the gun completely
personally im fine with dryfiring on nothing or empty cases if rimfire
>>
>>29265318
That's where I'd gotten too. I figured I could have pulled the rifle apart slightly farther, but I got lazy with it. My only problem was they feel hat when live ammo exists at any point it's an instant 1000% danger.
>>
>>29265300
This:>>29265318

Theoretically a round could still slam fire even with the trigger group removed. If you remove the firing pin there's no way for it to fire.
>>
>>29265331
Why are you so opposed to just buying snapcaps? They're not that expensive, and have a bunch of different uses. You wouldn't have to half disassemble your gun to fuck with it.
>>
>>29265340
Poorfag who didn't want to spend 50-100 dollars to fill an en-bloc clip for my Garand. I was just messing with the action to see if I can get rid of the need to slam the oprod home. I'll likely end up buying them in the future if something important warrants them
>>
>>29265353
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1895311304/aggressive-engineering-m1-garand-clip-steel-parkerized
>>
>>29265295
So if the firing pin doesn't stop by hitting the primer, how does it stop moving forward? It gets halted by the bolt, usually on the collar/neck of the firing pin, when the firing pin is supposed to be hardened at the ends for durability when actually shooting. Having it break from repeated stress outside normal design isn't world-changing.
>>
>>29265370
Slightly irrelevant question, any idea how these compare the the old spring steel ones? My current stock of .30-06 is old '69 Paki M2 ball, which I've found could also be the source of the reliability problems, the steel could just be grabbing it too hard and keeping it from going in nicely. Would make sense too since the same clip loaded down to 7 or less rounds feeds easily
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.