[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Southern Africa Reading List
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 32 battaion.png (47 KB, 1400x700) Image search: [Google]
32 battaion.png
47 KB, 1400x700
I'm doing a project on Southern African COIN, after lurking in some threads I've noticed some interest in Rhodesia. I know the politics of of it can be confusing, but the COIN operations and conventional fighting makes for great reading. I've got a list that encompasses most everything from the Selous Scouts to the Koevoet, even some stuff on how the insurgents fought and received training from the Cubans. Would anybody be interested if I complied a list and paste binned some articles? It would take some time to create, but I've got some free time in the next few weeks.

>inb4 rhodie fetishist
>>
>>29254248
Rhodishit wasn't doing coin, they sucked harder than the Americans did and that's why only the Americans fetish them.

>Piss of the population
>Get supply roads blocked
>Run out like a little bitch
>>
>>29254248

Bumping this thread.

Hell yeah I'm interested.
>>
>>29254248
Fuck it, I'll probably just make it and post it. Somebody will find it interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 446x600
>>29256661
Some educational shit would certainly be a nice change of pace from the usual generals, stupid questions, and dick measuring contests.
>>
>>29256672
Some of it is dense, but for the most part it will drag you in. The first hand accounts are insane.
>>
>>29254248
I would like to see that. I read Fireforce and found it pretty good. Thread theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0oYgUI9LMw&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>29256672
>>29256661
>>29256683
>>29258987

Yes, please OP, I need this. I'm writing a book on this and I need all the info I can get.
>>
>>29260268
My niggah. On what specifically? This list encompasses Rhodesia, South Africa, Angola, Namibia, and Mozambique.
>>
>>29260302

It's a mixed Cold War bag, really, but it takes place in the Rhodesian Bush War and I'm focusing heavily on the history behind the war and the global politics surrounding it. Everything from Rhodesia's war, South African arms dealing, the fighters from Mozambique and most everything else would be great to hear about. And it would be icing on the cake if actually had references too, the best material I have comes from Soldier of Fortune journalists and Rhodesian TV documentaries.
>>
>>29260348
I've got scholarly articles, first hand accounts, and historical volumes. I'll get you the list. Sadly I cannot get my hands on the Rhodesian Army Files, those are lost somewhere in Bristol. Most of the SADF documents from that time are also classified. If your looking for some American prospective, the CIA released a bunch of documents discussing the Bush War. Google will be your friend for that one.
>>
>>29260399

I would certainly appreciate the scholarly articles and first hand accounts, but what kind of historical volumes do you have? Inventory, medical records, etc?

And yeah, it's from an American perspective.

>the CIA released a bunch of documents discussing the Bush War.

Fuck yes! I'll try to see if I can find some good, declassified documents.

>those are lost somewhere in Bristol

Wait, really? They aren't in Harare, Zimbabwe? Could it be possible to go to some archives and look for documents there?
>>
File: south africa in a nut shell.jpg (99 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
south africa in a nut shell.jpg
99 KB, 600x600
>>29260508
Mostly military history, but there is some good discussion on the political background of it. Some parts even discuss direct Cuban and Russian intervention. Great stuff for a Cold War geopolitical talk. There are some good documentaries of Youtube talking about it if you dig deep enough.

>really?
Seriously, the files are located in a library in Bristol. The files were smuggled out of the country after ZANU took over. The story goes that the Rhodesians didn't want all the dirty laundry aired at one time, especially after all the negative press that was against them. Some dude found them in a basement, unorganized in stacks of cardboard boxes. There was an effort to digitize and publish them but I don't know how that is going.

The closest thing you could get would be the SADF archives, but a majority of their interaction is still classified or inaccessible. Again, dirty laundry that nobody wants to air yet. If you can speak Portuguese, you may be able to find some stuff in their national archives. Ronald Reid Daly did visit with the Portuguese in Mozambique before the withdrew.
>>
>>29260704

Military history is great, since they covered COIN operations relatively well at the time.

>library in Bristol

Any chance you know the name of the library? Or is that classified as well?

Anyways, thanks for the info so far. Is there any way I could contact you (via email, preferably) to keep myself updated on your findings? Or will you post a thread during the week?
>>
>>29256672
I've been adding a bunch of Rhodesia videos to a playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSM_02Uc6IUc1ad0MrcRaydJGsjZZf1CW
>>
>>29254248
I was also just in South Africa for the military week and demo. I shot some parade video and a ton of photos.

Video here and photo link in the description.
https://youtu.be/u0JLAAtHAMU
>>
>>29261427
>>29261449

Nice job, anon, you're doing God's work.
>>
>>29261541
There are a lot of Rhodesians in South Africa. I'm trying to find Rhodesian military or police vets to interview and do some Q&A with. I'd like to get up to Harare, it's a quick flight.
>>
>>29261618

That actually sounds like a great idea, but stay safe if you ever go to ZImbabwe, man.
>>
>>29262003
The other option is going to muputo in Mozambique
>>
>>29262333

I'm gonna safely assume that it's even less safe.
>>
>>29262382
If it's 100% safe, it's probably boring. Both cities are safe if you pay attention.
>>
>>29262602

Well, you're right in that regard, but it wouldn't be any fun if you weren't armed or something. Regardless, good luck m8. I subbed to your channel, so I'll be paying attention.
>>
>>29262683
I had sone guy line up to rob me two weeks ago in South Africa. As soon as he saw that it would not be easy and I was ready and had the means to crack his skull, he backed off.
>>
>>29262708

dindus gotta dindu
>>
>>29262720
He was going to get 2oz of lead swung into hit head, it was on the end of 14" of paracord.
>>
>>29262732

Nice. Have you ever considered carrying a baton or a knife?
>>
>>29262798
I do have a 21" baton but it's heavy.
>>
>>29262840

>21"
>heavy

Is it one of those non-collapsible nightsticks? I used to have a 21 inch collapsible and I liked the heftyness of it.
>>
>>29262914
No, it's collapsable but it's not an ASP and it's a heavy fucker. It just too heavy for a pocket. A 16" is easier to carry, but, all I have there is the 21"
>>
>>29262948

Ah, that's why. Still though, is 2oz enough for a sling? Genuinely asking.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.