[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the American Civil War have such high casualties because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Did the American Civil War have such high casualties because line warfare was being employed when for the first time many of the weapons available were rifled?
>>
>>29240034
Also better artillery and shells
>>
File: 1457149735299.jpg (50 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1457149735299.jpg
50 KB, 350x262
>>29240034
>some of the earliest battles of world war 1 were fought line warfare
That must have been a shell shock.
>>
Yes. The weapons were ahead of the tactics. The rifle sent a big ass lead slug at a low muzzle velocity. When it hit, it would just obliterate the tissue. That's why there were so many amputations. But they believed that to take a position you had to advance and give the enemy the bayonet. So they all lined up and got blown away. Add to this that they didn't know about antiseptics and germ theory and it's a miracle that anyone wounded survived.
>>
>>29240034
Better artillery desu

Rifled muskets had approximately the same effective range due to the rainbow trajectories preventing all but the best range estimators from making use of its theoretical precision
>>
>>29240125
>The weapons were ahead of the tactics
Yes

>The rifle sent a big ass lead slug at a low muzzle velocity. When it hit, it would just obliterate the tissue

Just like a musketball

>But they believed that to take a position you had to advance and give the enemy the bayonet

The bayonet charge was never the first resort, which you would know if you didn't learn about Napoleonic tactics from History Channel pop-history misinformation
>>
>>29240206
Fuck you, asshole. I learned it from Shelby Foote and Ken Burns. Let me guess: you're a re-enactor.
>>
>>29240206

>Just like a musketball

>9mm is a bullet
>Just like a 5.56 !

For fuck's sake godammit.
>>
>>29240154

I highly doubt they had only 60-70~% precision at 120m against a full line of men while the earliest shit rifled guns of the napoleonic era with shitty ammunation in comparison had a 80-90% chance to hit.
>>
>>29240034
Yes, to grossly over-generalize the offense-defense balance was heavily skewed defense.
>>
>>29240034
You just answered your own question in that post. You truly are a fucking idiot. Well done.
>>
>>29240544
y-you t-t-too
>>
Most casualties were from disease (75%).
>>
Also a lot of it was the shotshell they used in artillery. Basically turned their field guns into massive shotguns and aimed it at advancing lines.

So line formations and shot-based artillery lead to entire lines of men dying all at once.
>>
>>29240034
Both
>>
>>29241701
Canister is the name of shot-like load. I make the distinction because "shot" refers to solid shot and "shell" refers to one of the exploding projectile types (case being the other) when speaking of canon loads.
>>
>>29240034
No, there were such high casualties because medical and sterilization practices were essentially barbaric. 67%-75% of deaths were caused by infection or disease.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.