[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, folks Last year I found that axe, want to know what is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: DSCN8335.jpg (760 KB, 1900x986) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8335.jpg
760 KB, 1900x986
Hello, folks
Last year I found that axe, want to know what is it and what century...
>>
clearly a late 43rd century Greater Lemurian axehead from the upper congo delta.

Or, alternatively, what do you think we are, psychic?

Where was it found. what context. what dimensions, weight, cross-section?

If you pulled it out of a forest in redneck country, alabama, makes it something entirely different to if you were metal-detecting in Estonia.

For what its worth, looks like a mid 20th C woodsman's axe head to me, with no historic details.
>>
>>29228411
That bit shape is weird for a wood axe
>>
Can I axe you a question?
>>
>>29228376
Yup, that's an axe.
>>
It was found in forest in Latvia place where had been WWII battles on trench edge under a spiked bush or something like that, no other identification signs. I found by accident thinking it was a canned fish tin.
>>
>>29228515
Got a photo of it from the top, so you can see the cross-section?
>>
File: DSCN8337.jpg (1 MB, 2634x890) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8337.jpg
1 MB, 2634x890
pic from top
>>
File: $_57.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
>>29228376
I'm not an expert, but its hand forged and kind of hard to tell how old it is.
That bearded design with the position of the shaft hole is of a viking design though or something very similar to the region.

Here's a viking axe from the Latvia which is somewhat similar

Might be a relic :)
>>
File: post-1272-1208240546.jpg (77 KB, 500x642) Image search: [Google]
post-1272-1208240546.jpg
77 KB, 500x642
I know that. It is hand forged I found this pic, and know exactly how to at home forged simlar one, but no tools for that action. In some internet sources I found that axe and it was aprox 600-800 years old and called Viking beard axe.
But the one but....
>>
That is throwing axe. I try to throw when I put a handle in but, after some throws handle broke :C
>>
>>29228376
That looks awesome. You may have found something special. Maybe its worth taking it to a local museum. It may even be worth Carbon dating if they think it is genuibe
>>
>>29228439
>>29228679
>>29228685
Yeah definitely looks far too thin to be a tool axe. You could have an artifact on your hands.
>>
Its an german Pionieraxt.
>>
>>29228376
you have a piece of rust have fun with it
>>
Take it to some sort of historian or forensics expert.
>>
>>29230762
>carbon dating a metallic axe head
>>
>>29228376
aren't you from Utah?
did you find it in the desert?
>>
>>29228376
Email those pics and ask Matt Easton from scholagladiatoria here: [email protected]
>>
File: viking axe typology.png (604 KB, 1041x1476) Image search: [Google]
viking axe typology.png
604 KB, 1041x1476
>>29228376
Looks like a type D axe to me. So early 9th century according to Petersen's viking axe typology. I believe Baltic axe technology would have been almost identical to that of the Norsemen, but I also do know that the Norse raided that area.
>>
>>29228685
>relic

relics are holy human remains. eg. skin, bones, fingernails, hair
>>
>>29234345
It's possible, but very time consuming, difficult and expensive. Not a real option, really
>>
>>29234958
not necessarily
>>
>>29234958
noun
an object surviving from an earlier time, especially one of historical or sentimental interest.
synonyms: artifact, historical object, ancient object, antiquity, antique
"a Viking relic"
>>
>>29228376

First of all, you have to think about what you know about the axe and what you don't know.

You know: The design

You know: The alloy

You can guess at the forging process, if you take a micrometer around the hole (for example) a machining process would make the cast a lot more uniform.

Where it was found so you can guess at how it got to be in your hands.

If the axe is made out of a modern alloy, the material is most definitely a replica axe.

If it's not a replica, there might be a smith marking on the axe which would make the axe not a relic. Smiths need to advertise their wares and often they put a mark on the blade somewhere.

Have fun!
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.