[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exotic bow for richfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Hello guys,

I'm about to get my license to manufacture and distribute pretty much anything electromechanical, and I still have some leftover boxes advanced and smart materials from older prototypes.

Long story short I think I can build a draw weight assist supersonic bow (maybe one or two)

Before I start the detailed math and safety considerations and shit I'd like to ask if all y'all know any crazy ass mofos that'd be interested in owning such a tool, and how much you'd expect they'd be willing to pay for it.

A bit about the details:

It'll feel pretty much like a regular 50-70 lb. compound, except that it's got a little more mass on the front end.

disadvantage, it'll have a refractory period of somewhere in the abouts of 30 seconds to 3 minutes, and you may have to lug around a car battery if you want to shoot more than once.

If you have any questions about the details, ask away. there ain't no secrets.*

*end product may deviate from pre-concept specifications
>>
Until you get that car battery shit done OP, you got the market cornered. Really, you could set your own price and not worry about people not buying your product because you're the only one selling. However don't up charge extensively or else no one, not even Flandres, would buy one. Also look professional, because I won't mind giving you a few bucks for one.

>tl;dr: You make your own price, make it reasonable, and I want one.

P.S. Look into Kickstarter as well, that'd be pretty good.
>>
>>29224953
>You make your own price, make it reasonable
>I won't mind giving you a few bucks for one.

now the thing is the materials alone (and I don't have the absolute numbers in, but a conservative estimate) , for a single piece, would cost around the ballpark of $5k.
>>
>>29225009
Well if that's the case, you need to also compete against regular bows then. What's the poundage that your getting out of this for 50-70 pounds? If it's much greater then you just made a great step in bows, for those that still use them. If there's not that much of a difference, then don't try. Sorry.
>>
>>29225040

the draw weight is 50-70 lbs.

on release the computer kicks in and the draw weight is increased to 300-500 lbs while the arrow's inertia is still keeping the bow taut.
>>
File: Chewbacca_-_SWGTCG.jpg (953 KB, 2986x2391) Image search: [Google]
Chewbacca_-_SWGTCG.jpg
953 KB, 2986x2391
>draw weight assist supersonic bow
Enjoy your string shrapnel death.
You'd have better luck building a safe electromag arrow accelerator chamber on the shaft with the string providing initial acceleration.
Or just build a bowcaster.
Seriously though, crossbows have trouble with severely injuring people from string explosions at 400+fps.
>>
>>29227307

I'm not gonna lie.

I wouldn't reccomend using it without a bomb suit, if it does get built. It's a novelty luxury item. While you might be able to hunt tanks with it, it's not gonna be practical in a safe kind of way.

about your suggestion: that wouldn't be a bow in my opinion.
>>
>>29227963
>bomb suit required
>can hunt tanks
Where do I sign up?
>>
>>29224888
If it fires at supersonic speed what happens when you accidentally get hit in the arm by the string?
>>
>>29228300
Goodbye, non-dominant side of torso.
Seriously though, the result would probably be on par with getting hit by a whip as an expert cracks it. It's probably gonna slice you up.
>>
>>29224888

Sounds really, really dangerous.

I want one.
>>
>>29228079
>Where do I sign up?
>>29228733
>I want one.

how badly do you want it?
>>
Why have a human pull the string at all? Does it need to be shaped and held like a traditional bow?
>>
>>29227248

Your idea's an odd one in terms of making it not explode - I just shoot bows, I'm not a tech or anything, but if you're accelerating the string/limbs in line with a 300-500# draw weight, you may need a minimum 1500-2500 grain arrow (5 grains/pound) or maybe even more depending on how well this thing is built. Getting arrows stiff enough to hold up to those forces applied from the nock-end would be difficult too - you'd also probably be trying to minimise point weight to maximise stiffness, but if the rest of your shaft/fletching/nock/etc is heavy enough to bring you up to 1500 grains, you probably don't have anywhere near enough FOC for good, stable flight. This is all only a factor if you actually mean the limbs are assisted in applying more force on release - is this actually what you're doing? (as opposed to, i don't know, electromagnetic acceleration from the point/insert end as it's shot)

Broadly how are you making it all happen? If you're accelerating the limbs more, are you just going to overbuild like a motherfucker to be able to shoot sub-5gpp arrows? (1500 grains is probably not going to go 1000+ fps out of a bow after all)
>>
If you want a better solution than a car battery, look into the batteries used on electric bicycles. They're not hellishly expensive but they'll be a heck of a lot lighter and they're about the best option for an off the shelf lithium ion in the 10+ Ah range.
>>
>>29224888
At that point why not just use a gun? The main reason people use bows is for extra challenge and entertainment.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.