[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about bows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_1.png (410 KB, 1182x572) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
410 KB, 1182x572
What do you guys think about bows?
>>
They're cool, and I suck at them.
>>
>>29213334
So does the person that posted that ebay listing.
>>
>>29213313
They're pretty sweet, bow hunting doesn't have nearly the number of restrictions as fun hunting when it comes to suburban areas, basically don't shoot at a house or person and you're good to go most places
>>
>>29213313
why is the string backwards?
>>
>>29213313
been into archery since I was a kid (noguns) and I enjoy it, thinking about buying either a crossbow or Mongolian horse bow
>>
>>29215912
It's unstrung, for storage purposes. When you string it, you put the string on the right side and it will look like you would expect.
>>
Is building a bow for fun feasible? I would have access to needed tools, thinking if making a pyramid bow
>>
Primitive archery is cool.

I don't get the appeal of a compound bow with sights and arrow rests and stabilizers and shit on it though. At that it's like using a rifle to me.
>>
>>29216288
No its clearly strung backwards in that picture.
If you were planning on buying it, dont. Its not worth it blowing up on on you cause some idiot fucked it up.
>>
File: 81bD4Vd90EL._SL1500_.jpg (188 KB, 1500x953) Image search: [Google]
81bD4Vd90EL._SL1500_.jpg
188 KB, 1500x953
Should assault bows be legal?
I say no. There is no reason these medieval long-range killing devices should be on our streets. You do not need a 180lb draw weight firing a 1/4 lbs. armor piercing bolt to kill a deer.

Let's go over some features that could classify a bow as an assault bow:

>camouflage color
Helps shooter stay hidden and weapon undetectable
>string silencers
Prevents bystanders from hearing shots, allowing shooter to pick off several people before being noticed
>pistol grip
>rifle style stock
>combat optics
>high-capacity integrated quivers
Enable shooter to reload more quickly without fumbling around with a quiver slung over the back
>draw weight in excess of 100 lbs
Energy far higher than needed for killing game, in fact most people cannot draw this much by hand, and requires mechanical drawing mechanism. Used by medieval bowmen to pierce thick steel armor.
>>
Fine

The only problem is range if you don't bother with sights and shit. Figure 25 yards or less with no sights. 40 or less with sights.

Otherwise, they're an awesome hunting tool, and they'd actually make good SHTF weapons due to their lack of noticeable noise (they do make noise, but it's not bad).

Terminal ballistics are good with broadheads; penetration and wound size.
>>
>>29216369

Yes

All you need is an axe to remove timber from the belly of your starve, and a knife to whittle the nocks.

You can make 40-50 pound long or flatbows easy enough.

You just need to slowly strain them at different draw lengths once you've got it to bend evenly, up to your draw length.
>>
>>29213313
I have a recuve, it's fun. But I really suck with it.
>>
File: gJqN3xPZMg.png (22 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
gJqN3xPZMg.png
22 KB, 520x390
>>29216509
>crossbows nearly impossible to get in my country but every single fucking bow is ok even if you are underaged no matter the draw weight
>mfw your post is reality
>>
>>29216598

Sights?

Some people are just good at shooting instinctively

Whereas others need sights

Start at 10 yards, and when you can hit a large cola bottle (2 liter) nearly all of the time, go to 15, and work up to 20. 20 is a good hunting range.
>>
>>29216480
>I don't know how recurve bows work
>>
>>29216440
>I don't get the appeal of a compound bow with sights and arrow rests and stabilizers and shit on it though.
Me neither.

I do like special snowflake crossbows though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5847wtGNGVY
>>
>>29216605

You in Oz? Yeah, they put them a Cat.M weapons with a license now.

Funny thing is that bows are just as good or even better due to the power stroke of the long limbs. Say, a 60 pound bow works better than a 150 pound crossbow.
>>
>>29216605
The reasoning probably being that any peon can cock a crossbow and kill someone, but it takes some amount of practice to actually hit something with a bow, even the fancy modern ones

Still bs, but I can see the issue since a crossbow bolt would likely punch through soft armor fairly well
>>
>>29216637
>You in Oz?
Nah, Poland. Firearms are easy enough to get, but scrossbows are nearly impossible unless you are some known collector/reenactor.

Shit, one of our guys won silver in worldwide crossbow competititon and even he can't own one, has to practice outside the country or on rifles.

>>29216657
Probably and I also think it's the reason, but that's a pretty short sighted and ignorant reasoning.

Tha amount of skill requied to shoot a weapon efficiently shouldn't be a deciding factor. It somehow implies that a someone willing to murder is not willing to practice, which is just not true, at all.

Not to mention compounds are not that hard at short distances even if you don't have that much practice.
>>
>>29216657

It's really BS

You need just as much strength to cock a bow with their massive poundage.

A 70-80 pound recurve is going to do better than most crossbows, and if you learn to draw and shoot in one swift motion, you don't even need to be strong to do that (it's a way to shoot bows; some people like it).

Heavy compounds leave them all in the dust, and you don't need much strength with those.
>>
>>29215912
That's why I took a screenshot and posted it.

>>29216288
No, it's strung backwards. Drawing it as it is could cause the lamination to separate, or even worse, the limb ends up in your face.
>>
Using a 60lb compound bow at the moment. In my state, we need to join an archery club that approves the use of crossbows, be a member for at least 6 months, get signed off for conpetency and submit a legitimate reason to own one. Bit of a fuck around but I'm pretty keen
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.