[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we still need the Marine Corps? They don't serve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: marinedresslineup.jpg (33 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
marinedresslineup.jpg
33 KB, 600x400
Why do we still need the Marine Corps? They don't serve any unique purpose and they just add inefficiency to an already bloated military. Anything they excel at can just be incorporated into one of the remaining branches.
>>
>Telling a Marine to get over it, he's Army now
>Whatcouldgowrong.jpg
>>
>>29210206
America doesn't need a Marine Corp. America wants a Marine Corp.
>>
File: CNC_Yuri.jpg (28 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CNC_Yuri.jpg
28 KB, 800x600
>>29210206
Why do we need the military when my Psychic Dominator will bring all under my sway, comrade?
>>
>>29210206
Hey, look. It's this thread again.
>>
>>29210206

>momiposteditagain.png

Fuck off
>>
Oh look this again
>>
>>29210269
>>29210250
>>29210231
I haven't seen this thread in atleast two weeks, & really is there anything else but shitposting to do? We could LEARN something this time! :3
>>
>>29210206
Oh boy, has it been a week already? I've missed this thread.

Hey guises! We need a women in combat thread too!
>>
>>29210300
I've seen this thread 3-4 times in the past few days
>>
>>29210300
its better than the daily "le women in the military" threads
>>
>>29210215
literally nothing would go wrong
>>
>>29210309
>>29210324
There we go...>>29210353
>>
>>29210324
In the same way that skin cancer is better than rectal cancer, maybe.
>>
It's okay man. I got denied entry to the marines too.
>>
Eh, if we ever did WWII style mobilization again, the marine corps would do counter-insurgency while the army did the real fighting.

They're useful as a technology demonstrator, and being the low end of a high-low military strategy.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (66 KB, 632x466) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
66 KB, 632x466
>>29210228
Nice bants..

Also, OP, the reason why Marines cannot go anywhere is because they are embedded with the Navy.. the Navy cannot just have Sea Army... they need the Marines... who can go on water and land... you know like Marine habitat and mammals...
>>
>>29210206
>Why do we still need the Marine Corps?

The same reason 4chan needs /pol/, /r9k/, /int/, and /mlp/: the Marine Corps is a containment branch that keeps jarheads from shitting up the rest of the military.
>>
the prisons are full
>>
Lol this thread every week LOL
>>
>>29212696
Best explanation I've ever heard for this. Half of the army is retarded enough, I guess it's good those meatheads are contained in their own little club.
>>
>>29212696

Am a MUHREEN, this made me laugh
>>
>>29210206
Look at it this way, what politician in their right mind would willing become the guy that disbanded the marine corps?
>>
>>29210225
Gay
>>
>>29210206
Because when you need shit to be done, you don't call Airforce.
>>
>>29210206
Response time of their integrated assets are readily pre-positioned and that it allows the executive branch to legally engage in expeditionary warfare without the approval of congress.
>>
>>29213563
So we need a whole branch, which is barely even a branch as much as it is a limb of the Navy, to serve that purpose? Simply fold it into the Army as a few new divisions, keep the expeditionary ability, and give us some real funding, and I say this as a Marine.

Any idiot who isn't brainwashed by WWII propaganda will tell you that amphibious warfare is outdated and frankly retarded in this day and age.
>>
File: b70.gif (201 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
b70.gif
201 KB, 600x603
>>
>>29213744
The united states marine corps predates ww2 by more than one hundres years.
>>
>>29213836
Okay and? If you were a Marine you'd know everyone's all "MUH IWO JIMA" "MUH JOHN BASILONE" "MUH ISLAND HOPPING" with regards to the amphibious thing. No one actually cares about Tripoli or the Banana Wars.
>>
Becaude of its small scale you can effectively transport an entire military to an area in a short period of time that has artillery, air support, logistics, etc, and can begin doing work well before the army and aor force can coordinate and mobilize.

Even expeditionary divisions of the army would have to be run under the larger umbrella of the big Army. The USMC isn't. Think of it as having a leatherman you can start fixing a set of problems with while you wait for someone to bring you your toolbox. It has most everything your toolbox has, but smaller scale and fits on your belt, and while for a big enough problem you're going to need your toolbox you can at least accomplish something with your multitool in the meantime.
>>
File: 1455078434008.jpg (101 KB, 845x634) Image search: [Google]
1455078434008.jpg
101 KB, 845x634
>>29213947
As much as I hate seeing these threads, that's a pretty good analogy right there
>>
>>29212696
dont act like it isnt the big army

no really, the big army is a fucking tub of diarrhea.
>>
>>29210206
They should change it into a foreign legion or something.
>>
>>29210206
Because the president can order them to notwar the shit out of something without the approval of congress for longer than he can notwar with the army.
>>
>>29214021
Non-citizens can already join our military branches so a dedicated foreign legion doesn't make a lot of sense. About eight thousand non-citizens enlist each year.
>>
>>29214038
still need a permanent residence to join.

FFL you can join without being a resident or ever setting foot in France
>>
>>29210206
Need to produce future alcoholics somehow. Seriously, is there a single, sober, Marine?
>>
>>29210206
Corporate welfare for the makers of their special equipment.

That said they have often had a better grasp of the conflict then the army. Like in Vietnam. Or Korea.
>>
>>29214038
see
>>29214072

It would also be easier to explain why the Marines are huge fuck ups too.
>>
>>29212696

Probably one of the best answer one could get.
>>
>>29210316
Would you like a prize?
>>
>>29210206
The way I see it the US Marine Corps should become more like it's EU counterparts. Like the Royal Marines for example. An Elite Infantry corps dedicated to it's role as a Light Infantry force for Navy vessels and on land. The current state I find is a bit bloated with it having a MBT battalion, three armoured recon batallions, its own air arm and its own helicopters.

The best thing in my mind to reduce the confusion of the Army and Marines would be to remove the MBT, armoured recon and aircraft from Marines command. Send it to Navy command, tanks back to the Army and concentrate on becoming the Army Rangers equivalent for the Navy. The Navy can provide it's air capability in aircraft and helicopters. It will have its own APCs to transport itself with protection of course.
>>
>>29213563
Which has happened how many times?
>>
well op you may be right, but damn just deal with it because they're here to stay.
>>
>>29210206
yo answer your question, yes will still need a marine core, and they DO actually have a different military doctine when compared with the army.

what we DON'T need is a goddamn devoted airforce and that fucking shit should be folded back into the army
>>
>>29210206

Why do we need the Rangers? Why can't we just train other special forces to do the same thing?

Because then we would have THE EXACT SAME NUMBER OF FUCKING TROOPS DOING THE SAME MISSIONS. Why just change the name and erase the history and unit pride?

If we disbanded the Marines and just made a SEAARMY then there would be the exact same number of troops aboard Navy vessels doing the same sort of specialized operations on coastal areas of vital importance.

Marines are useful because boats go over water and its useful to have organic troops aboard those boats to capture ports or silence coastal defenses. These men who go on the boats are Marines.

Their use in Afghanistan and Iraq are no indicative of the very real strategic use the Marines have. Their mission and specialty is operating off boats and capturing coastal strategic points. The Army is trained to operate on inland positions, such as jungles, Mountains, deserts, and artic conditions. The coasts belong to the Marines.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.