[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would the Mossberg with the shockwave grip be good for home defense?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: NNFAM500.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
NNFAM500.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Would the Mossberg with the shockwave grip be good for home defense? I'm considering buying a Mossberg off a friend for about 280 that comes with this kind of grip.
>>
>>29202102
Yes.
The raptor feels waaaay better than the ar style grips.
Less murder to your wrists...
>>
>>29202102
Yes but 280 is a rip off unless it's a 590. If it's just a regular 500 its worth like 225 tops.
>>
>>29202127
I've always felt the opposite. I shoot AR-style PGO shotguns a lot, including a SBS 8.5".

The only ammo that stings is 2oz 3" turkey magnum loads, no slug or buck in any amount goes near it. That load has recoil energy of a 458 Lott so shooting it one handed is an interesting experience and I do feel the good pain after a box of ten shells, unlike any other shotgun shell load.

A raptor/bird's head grip though? Fuck that in any load. I dislike it a lot.
>>
>>29202102
Always though one of those stocks would look really cool with an integrated knuckle duster, almost like a lever action loop, but more robust
>>
>>29202102
Question: Would the gun in OPs pic not be an SBS already?
>>
Get fucked intruder! You can't sodomize me if I do it to myself with this grip!
>>
>>29204532
Overall length is greater than 26" and a stock has never been attached. it's legally just a "firearm"
>>
File: non_sbs_stubby.jpg (73 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
non_sbs_stubby.jpg
73 KB, 800x600
>>29204532
Nope, these things aren't NFA items in these configs, doesn't have a pistol grip, doesn't have a stock, doesn't have a vertical grip, has enough overall length that it's not an SBS or AOW

It's pretty sweet to be honest desu senpai.

I'm hoping Ithaca will make a shotgun in a config like this already.
>>
File: non-nfa-shorty.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
non-nfa-shorty.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1125
>>29204572
I should correct myself, the barrel length WOULD make it an SBS, if it had a stock
>>
>>29202102
Yes. Not as good as one with a full stock, but they're WAY fucking better than pistol grips.

There's a technique to shooting them however. The US Marshalls used to use 870s set up this way loaded with #4 buck on Witness Protection duty, and the technique they used was to sight down the gun like you would with a stock, but push forward with your front hand and pull backward with your rear hand, like you're trying to "stretch" the gun.

This will send the recoil downward rather than back into your teeth.
>>
>>29202102
Can I make this in commiefornia?
>>
>>29202102
Absolutely not. Pistol grip shotguns are a gimmick.

Go to the range, shoot at multiple targets while moving/using cover with a pistol grip shotgun and 00 buck, then realize there is a reason you only see that shit in movies.
>>
>>29207836
Doesnt the military use pistol grip shotguns?
>>
>>29207850
You don't need a stock when all you use it for is breaching. Would just be more weight/bulk
>>
>>29207850
On a limited basis to shoot open doors, then quickly transition to their rifles. No one in their right mind would recommend a shotgun with a pistol grip or birdhead grip for use inside of a building instead of an carbine or pistol.
>>
File: sgats.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sgats.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
No. Get a KSG if you insist on a shotgun.
Get an AR if you want the best option.
>>
File: thed.jpg (22 KB, 325x299) Image search: [Google]
thed.jpg
22 KB, 325x299
How does the KSG handle? I've only ever shot one of them in vidya. Does it feel anything like a Mossberg or a Remington?

>>29207887
>>
File: IMG_20160309_132740.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160309_132740.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Well, I just got this, and it's pretty fucking sweet.

Not really sure why you'd need to go smaller than an 18" barrel, at a certain point you're not gaining mobility and just adding recoil
>>
>>29207836
>Pistol grip
>Bird's head grip

Not the same thing bro. They handle completely differently.

That's not to say a full stock isn't more practical

>Full stock>AR-style stock/grip>Bird's head>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pistol grip only

When I backpack I'll pack my 18" shotgun with a bird's head on it because it's low-profile and light enough that it's not really getting in the way but powerful enough I can trust it to blast mountain lions should I have to (plus it lets me play Book of Eli innawoods).

But I'll routinely embarrass dudes at my range with expensive O/Us shooting clays against it. They point really naturally but there's definitely a technique to shooting them.
>>
>>29209314
Not him, but >>29204580 is mine. Maybe I've just got mutant wrists or some shit but I find a hogue tamer grip to be waaay more comfortable to shoot than the raptors.
>>
>>29209466
A lot of it boils down to technique.

>>29207491 is me

If you don't do the "stretching" technique I describe here then yeah, I could see hating to shoot them. Though even without that I find the difference in angle means that it sends the recoil up into your arm rather than just into your hand and wrist like PGOs do.

I can sit and fire off 00 buck all day with my homemade bird's head Mossberg but after around 2 mags with a PGO I've had enough.
>>
>>29209690
Technique or no technique, it's still uncomfortable.
>>
>>29209741
Then yeah you have mutant hands.

It's a nearly identical grip angle to a regular stock. Do you also find those uncomfortable?
>>
>>29209790
Ayup.
>>
File: dsc06614[1].jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
dsc06614[1].jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>29209794
...do your wrists look like this or something?
>>
>>29209866
Nope, the half dozen superior bones of the wrist just don't agree with being canted that far forward. Normally not a problem but when there's no stock to catch the impulse it gets unpleasant.
>>
>>29209968
>tfw pussy with bird wrists
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.