[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I zero?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: savage axis.png (857 KB, 3600x891) Image search: [Google]
savage axis.png
857 KB, 3600x891
How the hell do people zero their rifle so easily? I can't seem to zero my 30-06 Savage Axis at all.

>first gun
>Nikon 3x9x40mm Bushmaster II with weaver mounts
>using Barnaul Russian 140 grain soft points
>took it to the bush and found a safe gravel pit
>aimed it about 25 meters
>kept missing because I was shaking
>went prone and used pillows to kind of hold the gun in place
>took almost 20 shots to get it to hit dead center on a makeshift target
>tried to zero it to 30 meters
>lost my zero trying to adjust

Yes I know I am fucking terrible but any advice?
>>
put it in a vise, or at the very least a secure cradle
>>
Here's what you do, OP

>get a proper bench rest, not pillows
>a vise/cradle like >>29197593 would be even better but is not required
>read the book that came with your optic
>figure out how many moa each click is
>follow the directions in your book
>>
Put it on a rest or bags or whatever, just so its pointed at a target and you arent touching the rifle at all. Take the bolt out. Look down the barrel and the scope and adjust scope as necessary.
This is called bore sighting. Also make sure your mounts are tight and your scope is level
>>
>>29197572
use a steady rest
start at 10 yards and get the windage right and an idea where the elevation is
adjust and move the target out until you are zeroed at the range you want.
works every time
>>
>>29197572

Well you're shooting shit ammo, not using a proper rest, and you have shit mounts.

First order of business is to make sure your mounts are all secure. Don't over tighten anything, but do make sure everything is at least properly torqued.

Next read your scopes manual.

Next, make sure you aren't chasing your zero.
>>
File: 1456673261872.jpg (9 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1456673261872.jpg
9 KB, 200x150
>>29197572
first of all practice with a .22 first up to 75y

But the problem with me personally was that I always turned the knobs way too far. Bear in mind I don't know squat about math

After shooting A LOT of .22 rds I feel like I've got an instinct to zeroing the rifle up to 75y and i'm decent at just using guesswork to hit a target at my zero whichever range it is. My 306 is at 600 now for paper and I have a paper post it thing on my rifle for changing it to 200-250-300-400-500
>>
>>29197667
I did practice with my 22 rifle but unfortunately I can't mount a scope on it with the extra rings and rails I have. I would have to buy new rings but I don't really feel like putting a scope on a rifle that has perfectly fine open sights.

>>29197660
I live in Canada so a lot of our gun related stuff is much more expensive than in the states. A proper gun rest can cost over 300 dollars. I think I'll do the shovel+heavy duty garbage bags+beach sand method.

>>29197638
I can't bring a bench innawoods and a folding bench would cost too much for what it would do. I can always go into the outdoor gun range but entry costs fucking 30 dollars and the place is jam packed. They only allow non members to shoot at a small time frame to make it worse. People here buy 170 dollar per year memberships to drive 2 hours to their designated gun range or just go innawoods. I don't want to pay 170 dollars for something I do once a month.

>>29197656
>you arent touching the rifle at all
That's really good advice. However, it is easier said than done with makeshift sand bags.
>>
>>29197831
Make your own rest out of 2x4's and four screws for christs sake. That stuff can't be that expensive is syrupland. Or if you are too lazy to build that, buy a utg swival mount and bi pod for 30 or so of your monoply monies
>>
Zeroing isn't firing shots until you hit the bullseye.
Fire a group of 3-5shots from a stable prone position at the same aiming point.
Doesnt matter where they are from the bullseye as long as theyre together.
Then adjust sights up/down left/right so where aiming equals where shots hit.
Retest 3-5shots. Should now be all hitting at aiming point, if not readjust sights until they do.
>>
>>29197572
Op, I need you to get a peice of paper, draw a dot on it,

Tape it to the furthest wall.

Take Rifle, make safe, remove bolt.

Place rifle on surface that can be moved, but is solid,

Look down the bore of rifle at the dot you placed on wall, WITHOUT MOVING THE RIFLE, see where cross hairs are,

slowly adjust scope til is 1.5 INCHS ABOVE THE DOT.

there ya go.
>>
1. Begin at 25 yards.
2. Use any available sandbags to hold the rifle as still as possible. Remove the caps from the adjustment screws if there are any.

3. Point the crosshairs at the center of the bullseye.

4. Squeeze off a shot. Reposition the crosshairs on the original aim point because the recoil will move the aim.

5. Use the scope adjustment screws to move the crosshairs to where the hole is. Be careful to not move the rifle during this adjustment. If you move, go back to step 2.

6. Line up on the bullseye again and take another shot. You should be on target at 25.

7. Move out to 100 or 200 or whatever range you want for your zero. Repeat steps 2 to 6 to dial in at that range. You should be close already and should mostly need to adjust elevation unless the wind is strong.
>>
File: bayonet broom.jpg (20 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
bayonet broom.jpg
20 KB, 350x233
>>29197572
at 100 yards, an MOA click adjustment should be 1 inch

figure out the graduations of the scope or irons you're adjusting first of all.

Hell one click could be 1/4 MOA on your scope.
Moving your groups 1/4" at 100 yards isn't much of an adjustment.
>>
I wouldn't bother with sights if you are shooting a 30m.
Keep in mind the angle of your target, and zero in the rifle to 100m.
>>
>>29197572
Here's what I do to get started (if possible).

1- take gun apart till I can see down barrel, leaving scope attached.
2- rest barrel on something, secure it
3- look down barrel toward a target 25 meters away. Use one eye to do this.
4- look down scope with other eye, line up the barrel and scope.

That usually works to get you started for free. From there you need to do more involving reading the instructions, MOA stuff, etc.
>>
>>29198943
I meant to say, use iron sights instead of scope at 30m
>>
>>29197831
your a useless tit cabelas in barrie had cheap rests on sale not to long ago for 75$
>>
>>29198945

Bore sighting is good and can reduce the amount of work for the other 6-step thing. That process breaks down if you're not on the paper at 25.
>>
>>29197572
get shooting sticks and one of those fold-up chairs

now bring all that with you when shooting

try it again using the sticks as a rest and sitting your ass in the chair

also, use a bigger target
>>
>>29197593
I have a lead slead, and I find I have worse groups on it than on bags, or even off a bipod. Maybe I'm not using the thing properly...
>>
>>29198832
Use two dots.

Also @ op.

Go to your shooting place.
Hold gun same way every time.
Aim at same point every time.
shoot 5 shots.

This is your group.

New target and repeat.

Adjust your sight to center of your group.

Using your 30-06 your are gonna have a bad time and learn some bad habits.

Put your scope on your 22 and shoot some 25 yard groups. A 2" group would be a nice start.
>>
>>29199025
>also @ op
>@
Really?
>>
Post Zip code, someone may be nearby to teach you OP
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.