[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How You Learned to Shoot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: missouruh boat ride.jpg (98 KB, 750x321) Image search: [Google]
missouruh boat ride.jpg
98 KB, 750x321
Tell us the story of how you learned to shoot.

Here's mine: When I was 14, my dad gave me a Marlin 60 for christmas and took me out to teach me how to aim and shoot it. The next year he bought me a 12 gauge. That was the end of his teaching. He never taught me how to clean or field strip any gun. I finally cleaned that .22 and 12 gauge for the first time when I was an adult and realized that it needed to be done.

When I reached the legal age to buy my own firearms I started buying more. My first handgun was a 1911. Going to a range never crossed my mind at the time because I was out in the country and could shoot any time I wanted. I did go to some ranges in the past 2 years but most of what I've learned about guns, I learned from the internet.
>>
File: myfirsttiem.jpg (73 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
myfirsttiem.jpg
73 KB, 500x375
i learned to shoot with a friend of mine, we were both interested in firearms and got into it together

pic related
>>
>>29190622
My dad was a Navy SEAL.
Also, my mom was Bin Laden.
>>
>>29190622
The internet and videogames have taught me everything.
>>
Dad started me off when i was 5 with his old Brass BB gun. We would shoot cans off my deck and just really get a feel for gun safety. My Dad then had my uncle from Georgia show me my first shotgun at 8 and I learned about that. He then took me hunting when I was 11 and every year since.
>>
My dad's old daisy BB gun. I was ducking good with that thing.

Also
>Boy Scouts was good for something.
>>
Went to a range after the Mumbai terror attack.
>>
Despite the rest of my family being gun owners, I was never taken shooting. Only a few years ago dis I fire a gun, my buddies AR.
Now I own a few guns and go shooting fairly regularly, I'm an alright shot depending.
>>
I'm new still figuring it out. Shotmexactlyn250 rounds from my MP Shield. Im not really sure why I got into guns since I used to be pretty anti. It started in the past few months when I picked up a second job and moved back into my mom's place t support these lazy fucks. I've learned almost exclusively from YouTube videos of people recommended here like massad ayoob Hickok, nutn, theyankeemarshal, and others.

I live in a college town with one range I know of but haven't ever met anybody at the range yet even though it's in the middle of the day on weekends. Had this fantasy of some older guy showing me the ropes but eh.

I make my own shoot n c targets and have almost got everything to start handloading too. Gonna take my carry class this Saturday and super excited since had to schedule day off a month in advance.

There's some dude at work who has a Walther P22 but I think he's one of those wannabe operator kinds and he's really immature so I don't really know anyone else to learn from. Classes are way to expensive at $75 an hour for basic pistol at my gun shop.
>>
Vietnam
I was only a child when the west attacked
>>
>>29190622
popping spray cans with my bb gun as a kid.
thinking about and rehearsing the steps to a good shot, ADD has that super focus affect and i would think about breathing control and trigger control alot.
I never had a fear of recoil, my uncle always braced my shoulder when i shot his guns.
Also natural talent, family line of marksmen.
>>
I just bought my first rifle which is a marlin 60
>>
File: Arc Lite run.jpg (28 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
Arc Lite run.jpg
28 KB, 400x263
>>29190926
I am sincerely sorry that the good people of the US Air Force didn't meet you in your time of need.
>>
>>29190622

A large black man wearing a flat round felt hat yelled at me until I could pull a trigger without making a dime fall off my barrel.

Then he yelled at me until I could put three bullets into a small circle.

Then he yelled at me until I could knock down some shitty plastic men with enough holes in them that you could see daylight plainly.

Then I was actually pretty decent at shooting.
>>
>>29190622
I never did learn how to shoot properly. My dad took me shooting a grand total of three times before I left the nest, and I already knew the basics. I guess I'm self taught? Don't go out shooting often at all so I can't hit shit with a pistol, but I do just fine with anything that has a stock. Shaky hands.
>>
>>29190622
>be born to a pair of multi-discipline competition shooters
>be coached in every aspect of handling, shooting, and maintenance starting at 5
>shooting skeet and rimfire NRA bullseye competitively by 7
>win state NSSA championship at 9 as a sub-sub-junior, win regional NSSA championship same age but the next calendar year as a sub-sub-junior
>have won or placed in club's pistol league for 17 years straight in at least 2 of the 6 classes
>am now an NSSA, ATA, and NRA shotgun coach as well as an NRA instructor; also NRA rifle and pistol instructor.
>>
>>29190622

Lee Enfield 303, Browning Hi-Power and a Sterling L2A3 on my Granddad's farm.
>>
>>29190982
You should practice more. I'm OP and I'm self taught as well especially when it comes to handguns. Wyatt Earp was never trained. He just forced himself to get it right.
>>
>>29190622

I taught myself because my family is full of antifun faggots, spending roughly 2 years on /k/ really paid off and in a way, you guys taught me how to shoot
>>
My dad taught me basics with an airgun when i was like 6, but I didn't shoot a real firearm until I was in my 20s, and it was self taught with lots of bad habbits
>>
>>29190622
I never really "learned" to shoot, I just knew from playing vidya, I was actually surprised at my abilities when I went shooting for the first time with a friend, we put up five metal targets a little over 50 yards away from the bench with me consistently hitting 3-4 every magazine, even got all five once
>>29190647
>black leather trenchcoat
>sunglasses
>a mutherfucking backwards-on cap

I wish I was as cool as you
>>
>>29190959
My grandpa was one of the bombers. He returned all his medals after the war was over. It fucked him up
>>
Good idea for a thread OP.

I was 7 when I shot my first gun. My dad grew up on a tiny farm for a few years and they had a .22 rifle for shooting animals in their traps.
So when I was in Tiger scouts they had a .22 shoot day and my dad decided I was good so he got me a BB gun (nogunz family and authoritarian mom). I made blinds and shit to shoot sparrows and dove off tree branches and power lines and got pretty good at it.
Then when I was 12 a kid I played football with invited me to his ranch to hog hunt and we spent the first day shooting a Rossi break barrel .223 and a mini 14 with irons. Then on the second night I busted a 230lbs Russian boar from about 100 yards with the Rossi and was told I should buy a rifle and enjoy it because I was better than most 12 year olds.
Now I'm a poorfag fudd with just a Benelli Nova and Remington 597 but that's all I need. My friends have enough guns for my fun and I'm looking to buy my first pistol.
>>
Yuropoor here, I learned to shoot with air guns in village fairs. When I was around 12 or 13 I got my own air rifle and started plinking in my backyard.
Then I registered in a gun club and shooted here with borrowed .22 rifles and pistols. Now I work since a few months and have enough money to buy my first real guns soon
>>
>>29192060
What's available to you?
>>
>>29192126
Everything that's not full auto, but the UE is currently trying to pass a ban on semi-auto weapons that are originally designated to be full auto
>>
>>29190622
I still don't know how to shoot that well. But I just learned from going to the range and getting over my fears of the gun. Now I can place shots relatively accurately.
I know this sounds retarded but...I instinctively knew how to operate a firearm the first time I ever held one. I think it's because of call of duty(4). The portrayal of guns is actually very good. Arcadey as hell but its animations are solid.
>>
I shot airguns and shit, but it was just plinking. Rest of it is just a boring fdf story, even though i like to think i was pretty decent on the end. Btw, what is the "standard" range that us military use? 150m here.
>>
>>29192188
I'd get a good field/home defense shotgun. Shooting skeet is really fun and you can long distance shoot as well with slugs. Then swap the barrel or extend the tube and it makes for lots of opportunities.
>>
>>29192222
I will get a 1911 and a mini 14 first, but getting a shotgun too is definitively a nice idea, even if I will have to find a club that allow the use of 12ga. Do you have any recommendations about good shotguns ?
>>
>>29190622
I still don't know how to shoot. What am I doing here?
>>
>>29191661
That's Dylan and Eric you dumb fuck.
>>
>>29192265
Mossbergs are the name of the game for utility. But if you want a good shotgun that's pleasant to shoot and great to hunt with snag a Benelli Nova or SuperNova
>>
File: 1427884305397.jpg (7 KB, 382x358) Image search: [Google]
1427884305397.jpg
7 KB, 382x358
>been shooting on and off for 5 years after my dad took me to the range for the first time
>tfw recently started to conciously realize that I'm not a good shot at all and he never really taught me
>>
I just squeeeeeeeeeeeze
>>
>>29192554

It's easy

If doing marksmanship:

>align sights
>exhale
>squeeeeeeeeeeeze without moving the gun and keeping the sights aligned
>bang
>>
>>29192515
My preferences would go to pump action + wooden stock look
>>
File: 1444435886883.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1444435886883.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>29192572
>try shooting for groups with my rifles
>second shot, glasses 100% fog the fuck up and mess my shit up everytime
>shooting handguns, everything goes to the left
>>
File: 1457247439597.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457247439597.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>29190622
Dad tried to get me into guns at like 12 but I just didn't give a shit. Cared more about vidya.

I played around with a BB gun in my friend's garage shooting his GI Joes. Eventually I got into shooting, and just learned everything I know from the internet. Learned all my /k/ and /out/ related shit from the internet.
>>
As soon as I could pull the lever i had my own daisy. As soon as my gun safety was up to papas standards I had a .22 was basically born innabarn so shooting was as natural as breathing and running.
>>
>>29192695
Then remember where you placed your cheek for your cheek weld, wipe, refocus, and line up your second shot. Or just take your eyepro and put it down a little bit off your nose so you can see.

Just relax, you have all the time in the world to make the perfect shot. Remember your fundamentals and all that jazz.
>>
>>29190622

Trial and error...never had any one but books to teach me.
>>
>>29190752
This. I bet I could 360 no scope you guys from a mile away.
>>
>>29190622
bb-guns notwithstanding, My father took me shooting sometime around 8 years old with a single shot .22 rifle, we're not sure what age exactly. bb-guns, bow and arrows and a .22 rifle all well before 10 years of age.

thank you based father.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.