[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guy heat treats a sword in lava. http://youtu.be/Z66tvI31N0
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: Lava banding_8207.jpg (453 KB, 804x1200) Image search: [Google]
Lava banding_8207.jpg
453 KB, 804x1200
Guy heat treats a sword in lava.

http://youtu.be/Z66tvI31N0E

I think he left it in a little too long and ruined the sword, but otherwise the only way this could have been more badass is if he quenched it in dragons blood and forged the sword from a meteorite and used Hercules bones as a carbon source. Maybe using a human skull as a crucible...

What would be the most badass way to create a quality functional sword?
>>
>>29183197
By fucking using real blade smithing techniques instead of being a faggot playing out some D&D fantasy.
>>
>>29183197
this has to be in the top 10 most autistic things I've seen outside of /k/
>>
has this retard not seen lord of the rings? his soul will belong to the sword now and 3000 years from now someone will have to destroy the sword in the same lava
>>
>>29183320
my thoughts exactly
>>
>>29183320
/thread
>>
>>29183320
There are a thousand ways it could have been cool, instead we got a larper ruining some metal.
>>
>>29183197

Holy hell. Sword = more brittle, virginity = indestructible.
>>
>>29183344

You're assuming he knows how to bind his thoughts and soul to matter, and to make matter sentient.

What Sauron did was basically use necromancy on gold, while simultaneously making his own ring a "horcrux" like in Harry Potter.
>>
>>29183475

OP here, only because he left the sword in too long.

Tempering is actually supposed to make the sword more flexible.
>>
>>29183491
Phylactry you nigger
>>
>>29183517
This comment....

So OP did you ever get the sword straightened out?
>>
>>29183523
Resident fa/tg/uy spotted...
>>
>>29183541

LOL I'm a penniless NEET that lives in Southeast America thousands of miles away from active lava flows.

I didn't do that.
>>
>>29183553
Fi/tg/uy
>>
>>29183517
A shame tempering isn't done at lava temperatures then. All Sir Lardalot did was weaken and bend his sword.
>>
>>29183574
>/fi/t/g/u//y/
>>
>>29183570
Are you me?
>>
>>29183197
>a little too long

Gee... ya think? You only need to take the steel up to around 800c and lava likes to trot around at 1200, it's no wonder the damn "sword" came out looking like cooked spaghetti.
>>
>>29183595

It's not like steel instantly becomes as hot as the lava.

If he didn't leave it in as long, it probably would have been functional.

Not ideal, but certainly functional.
>>
>>29183606

According to the bible.... yes. I'm you. Ever watch Star Trek? The people in the Q Continuum all call each other Q and pretty much all act like role playing children.

We are the accidental fever dream of a giant celestial alien, like Wilson in Cast Away.
>>
>>29183617
Yeah, and if you quickly dip your hand in lava it won't leave third degree burns either. You just gotta do it real quick-like.
>>
>>29183795
Technically yes that's true.
>>
>>29183617
His whole strategy was messed up. Look how far away/how long it took to wrangle that mess into his quenchant. And since it was contained in a tiny tube, there's no way to swirl it and clear the bubbles.
>>
Keep in mind lava is heavy as fuck and is still moving even when it doesn't look like it from the outside. The blade was more than likely bent from that alone
>>
>>29183617
I think you have a gross misunderstanding of how physics work. Good luck with your sword fatty.
>>
>>29183795
>>29183934

There's a Hawaiian word that means "lava you can walk on". Can't recall what it is.

>>29183993

And how many swords have you made?

>>29184128

You have a gross misunderstanding of how flexible steel is. People have made swords for millennia with shit tools and methods, and they still worked just fine.
>>
File: 1455750571200.jpg (75 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1455750571200.jpg
75 KB, 500x375
>>29183197
>overweight
>can barely hike to the location
>fantasy-themed heavy metal
>no real attention to detail, just shoves the sword into lava and yanks it out
>sword ends up deformed and looks like shit
>doesn't seem to bother him

That video was pretty much exactly like I thought it would be
>>
>>29184217
>You have a gross misunderstanding of how flexible steel is. People have made swords for millennia with shit tools and methods, and they still worked just fine

Not that anon, but when you go to harden your material, you want it as straight as possible before you quench it. Rewatch the video, the steel is bowed and bent when he quenches it, and in the two photos after you can see that as well, and while it is possible to fix minor bowing during the tempering process with clamps and a solid flat material, that's far too out of spec.

Additionally you need to have a larger tank to diffuse the heat.

Either way a more accurate title for the video would be "Man ruins 20 dollar peice of mild steel"

He probably shattered the damn thing on a bush on his way home.
>>
As a studying metallurgist, this was painful to watch.
>>
>>29184217
>You have a gross misunderstanding of how flexible steel is
If overheated in a failed attempt to temper then quenched, it's brittle as fuck.

> People have made swords for millennia
True
> with shit tools and methods
Wrong, just because they didn't have modern carbon steels and giant industrial smelters doesn't mean they had shit methods or tools

>and they still worked just fine.
Not after buckling and twisting a blade that was overheated by massive margins, if it was mild steel (EN1A) thats 210C to EN43 as spring steels with 0.45% to 0.60% carbon ( which is around 650C)
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.