[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do AR pattern rifles have more bolt failures than most of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: P1000855.jpg (76 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
P1000855.jpg
76 KB, 1024x576
Why do AR pattern rifles have more bolt failures than most of their competitors.
>>
There are many theories, the most compelling one being because you touch yourself at night.
>>
Because your parents don't love you
>>
>>29181757
because people buy and use shitty bolts

i know a guy with a fucked up AK receiver, cuz he took a flat and didnt heat treat it, then didnt put ANY sort of finish or protective coat on the receiver so its just a bare metal receiver, which is starting to loosen and is rusted to shit
>>
>>29181757
"Hot" loads. Guys "re-loading" brass but rather than follow the instructions for adding powder they just eyball it or intentionally add more than supposed to.When these rounds are fired the recoil is much more than what the bolt face was mad to handle. In some cases the preassure is more thab the chamber wasmeant to take and -boom-
>>
>>29181761
James?
>>
>Be OP
>buys bolt from Taurus
>bolt shatters
>stop buying taurus
>problem solved

basically OP, its because youre a faggot that buys from taurus
>>
bolts are like $70 and can just drop in. I don't see the issue. besides, it takes a significant round count to sheer off the lugs.
>>
>>29181757
because there is more people buying AR's than others rifles, wich of course include stupid peoples
>>
>>29181807
Wait HUEHUEHUE actually make AR's?
>>
>>29181861
No, that is why I said OP is a dumbass faggot for buying a Taurus branded bolt.
>>
>>29181761
>>29181768
his parents touch him at night
>>
>>29181811
stop being a moron and just buy ONE decent bolt instead of a bunch of shitty cheap $70, fuckin poorfags man
>>
>>29181882
>he only buys 1 bolt
>he doesn't have different colored bolts to match the outfit he's wearing that day

fag
>>
>>29181757
People cheaping out and other people acting like fucktards.
>>
>>29181803
No that wasn't me Kyle
>>
>>29181882

uh LMT, BCM, and DD bolts are all around that price and are NOT shitty.
>>
>>29181761
his first words were "daddy no!"
>>
>>29181757
usually that kind of failure results from either a piston driven AR which gets carrier tilt and operates in a way the AR15 bolt was not meant to, or overpressure loads on cheap parts your failure appears to be the latter
>>
>>29181757
Because ARs are the GM of the gun world. Lots of them out there and most are the lower end builds. Plus, the design is not that great from the start.

Direct Impingement is like pushrods. In 2016 you have to just ask yourself, "why?".
>>
>>29181921

I'm Kyle though, not him.

I think you guys are missing the point of using anonymous image boards.
>>
Carbine length gas systems
>>
>>29181757
Wow not one serious reply.

You want the real answer? It's the lugs. That's it, it's the shape and size of the lugs.
>>
>>29182630
B-but there's 7 of them
>>
Judging that it's the top 2 lugs, I'd assume it's out of a piston gun.
>>
>>29183813
Well that's definitely a DI bolt carrier. How can you tell it's a piston bolt?
>>
>>29183810
Just means more to break. Many small lugs< less big lugs.
>>
>>29181757
Lots of reasons.

Shitty out of spec bolts.
Shitty over-gassed carbines.
Retarded piston retro-fits.
Dumbasses loading their own ammo way too hot.

Take your pick.
>>
>>29181799
>Hot loads
>Guys unloading
Dubs confirmed, OP's a faggot.
>>
>>29181757
>Let's make the locking lugs you know the things that take the chamber pressure small so they break easier.

T. Eugene Stoner
>>
>>29181799
>>29181816
>>29181905
This. I've personally witnessed at least 3 catastrophic AR failures on various ranges due to some faggot improvising reloads or not understanding basic physics. They deserved it.

>yfw you look in his box of handloaded cartridges and see 70% of them like this
>>
>>29181757
Because you touch your parents at night.
>>
>>29183911
Stoner used the idea from Johnson.
Small lugs are not a new idea. They have been around for well over a century now and are used in a variety of rifles.
>>
>>29183911
You're retarded. The force is distributed.
>>
>>29183975
yeah and it seems to be working well lmao
>>
>>29183975
>You're retarded. The force is distributed.
No you're retarded. The force is distributed unequally because of unavoidable mechanical defects. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some lugs actually didn't experience any constraints, if the bolt was poorly manufactured.

That's the reasoning behind lock picking, for example. If you have multiple lugs holding something in place, and you start rotating the piece which they're supposed to hold (bolt in an AR or tumbler in a lock), not all the lugs will experience the same constraints, because the geometry is always imperfect.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.