[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason whatsoever to buy a mossberg 500 over a Maverick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
154 KB, 1920x1080
Is there any reason whatsoever to buy a mossberg 500 over a Maverick 88? Both are available as field models at my flgs and I was wondering if anyone has any strong opinions on either
>>
>>29179311
It's cheaper and the safety is in a different place. That's the only difference.
>>
There is zero reason at all.
>>
>>29179311

Maverick 88 is literally an economy version of the Mossberg 500, with some design changes and non-interchangeable parts to make it cheaper. No real differences in terms of reliability or handling, although the different safety location can take getting used to, and the finish on the Maverick is cheaper than the 500 IIRC.
>>
>>29179311
I've had a Mav88 for years and it works just fine. The action on the pump is a little long for my taste but between the two they are the same. That said there are great deals to be had at a pawn shop or Cabelas on used Browning BPS. If you can score one for around $225 they are a great value.
>>
>>29179322
>>29179326
>>29179329
Thanks guys! I was a little nervous about grabbing the 88 after being burned really badly by my (now long gone) 870 Express
>Remington: never again
>>
>>29179311
if you plan on upgrading it aka furniture or internal parts pay more for the mossy
>>
>>29179356
I'll keep my eyes open, but the gun shops out here almost always charge 10%below msrp for used guns (jew yorkers jewing out jews? Who'd a thunk it? )
>>
>>29179391
What kind of internals are we talking about?
>>
>>29179413
The maverick 88 can take 500 stocks and pistol grips. It cannot take 500 barrels, foreends, or magazine tube extensions.
>>
>>29179413
well a common mossberg upgrade is people wanting a metal trigger guard. this will not work.

>>29179576
this is wrong
it can take them as in you can install those parts into the mav receiver but you will have to replace all those parts at the same time

aka you want to change just the forend furniture well you are buying a whole mossberg brand forend assembly installing that and tossing the mav parts in a bin
>>
>>29179649
The tube extension definitely sounds handy
>>
>>29179849
well if you want to spend more than you did on the maverick on a new barrel and magtube sure

fuckin mavs like200 bucks and a mossbergbarrel thas not the plain 18 is 120-180
>>
>>29179311
I thought only one of those could have a bayonet affixed to it.
>>
>>29179311
Had a maverick. Really solid shotgun. Would serve you well for sure. Put anything from 00buck to dragonsbreath through it , runs just like a pump should. That said, id go with the 500just because slightly better quality, and the primary reason; aftermarket (if you are into that type of thing) if you find the maverick security edition, id personally get that over a stock 500 think its 8+1. Thats just awesome. Gread guide gun i bet.
>>
>>29179576
This is not true, the stock configuration is different between the two.
>>
The only parts that will not interchange is the trigger group, due to the different safety locations.

Any 500 design or variation cannot take a magazine extension due to the barrel nut threading into and capping the magazine.
>>
>>29180004
Not true. The only difference between the two is the lack of for end bushings on the maverick. The will interchange but you must get a complete for end assembly with action bars.
>>
to put it simply if you intend on fuckin with it buy the mossy cause its potential is better and its immediatly compatible with more things

if the only accessories will be a sling and ammo mav is perfectly adequate

the moss will be perfectly adequate in stock form too but harm your wallet more
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.