[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flintlock Fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: To Rifle or not to Rifle.jpg (5 KB, 526x96) Image search: [Google]
To Rifle or not to Rifle.jpg
5 KB, 526x96
Hey /K/ommandos looking to buy a flintlock, any adivce, tips, tricks?
>>
>>29179024
Remembernto dump tea and tar and feather any tax men you see
>>
never, ever take someone's word for it that it fires. before purchasing, go to a range, and have them fire it.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 950x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 950x378
>>29179024
Oi a bloody flintlock? Ye be better off with a babe killing percussion cap rifle mate
>>
>>29179095
percussion caps are okay, not quite my speed though
>>
>>29179095
Thanks w
>>
>>29179024
Funny you ask, I just took this out today >>29177918

What exactly do you want to know? Are you looking for a musket or rifle? Civilian style or military?
>>
>>29179151
Im looking for a military musket, wondering about any good modern recreations or if an antique is worth it?
>>
>>29179178
Seconding this. I was considering a chareleville but was wondering if they were too inaccurate to be fun. Also why are muskets so expensive compared to many rifles?
>>
>>29179224

It's a niche market, most of the folks that buy muskets are Civil War/Revolutionary War reenactors, or people that like the simplicity of a rifled musket. (you only need to buy the powder and knap some flints and you're golden)
>>
>>29179178
It's definitely worth it. No matter if you hit or not it's balls of fun. Of course a rifle will be more accurate and longer range but a smoothbore with roundball can still be regularly hit a man at 50 yards no problem. Unless you want to spend big money get a repro to begin with, you can even get kits and assemble the gun yourself. An original Charleville is $3-5k; a US M1816, M1795, and M1814 Common Rifle are all going to be ~$2-2.5k for a good original.
>>
>>29179024
use smokeless powder
>>
>>29179224
>muskets so expensive compared to many rifles

Are you asking originals or repros? Original rifles are almost always more expensive, they are rarer and more desirable. An original Ferguson is a $100k rifle. In repros, rifles are more expensive because they require more machining and work to build.
>>
how often should you clean the barrel, between shots, every five shots?
>>
File: 1456808509877.jpg (182 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
1456808509877.jpg
182 KB, 1131x707
bump because i want more info
>>
>>29179363
This is not good advice and will get you killed.
Smokeless burns to fast and it will blowup. Only use exactly what the gun is made for.
>>
>>29179960
I shoot Civil War muskets in competition and with properly lubed mini balls I can shoot 50 rounds with no fouling and no cleaning needed until I'm done with the shoot.
>>
>>29180113
thanks for the info, so rarely do you find useful info about flintlocks
>>
>>29180171
No problem. I've been shooting muskets in N-SSA shoots for years, so I'm well experienced in black powder shooting. Flintlocks are just a different ignition source, projectiles and powder charges are the same.
>>
What is a reliable and cheap way to obtain such a magnificent firearm?
>>
>>29179095
In Canada, percussion cap is the cutoff for a firearm legally
ie. A flintlock Brown Bess doesn't require a gun license and isn't subject to firearm rules, but one with a percussion cap is
>Antigun politician logic
>>
>>29180329
Pedersoli makes some nice repros.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_56/rifles-1816-harpers-ferry.html
>>
>>29180378
>Pedersoli
>nice

Let's not go that far. But they are good for their price, and sturdy.

Take a look at the Charleville replica, it's sexy and it works well. It will also knock you senseless if you don't hold it properly, it's easy to see why soldiers used to be afraid of their rifles.
>>
What's the price range for a modern flintlock? Internet really has bubkis
>>
>>29183758
Then your really bad at this internet thing.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3464&osCsid=dced
>>
>>29184041
I am not a clever man
>>
How do yall feel about the indian made repros sold by Descriminating general or Veteran arms?
>>
>>29184599
I doubt the barrel will explode on you, but I've heard the fit and finish aren't as good as European/American made ones. Might be hit and miss whether they'll function well or not. If you do get an Indian made, test fire it first.
>>
The real question, pre lubed patches or hand lubed?
>>
>>29184599
Too much poo in the action, poo in the barrels, the rifle is just made out of poo
>>
>>29184599
I just tend to not trust anything that's not a snug fit
>>
>>29179441
Repros. The cheaper muskets I can find are over 400 but there are new muzzle loading rifles for cheaper. Does it cost that much to make them historically accurate?
>>
>>29179024
http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/
>>
File: Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
You said flint. I don't have one yet. For what it's worth, pic related is one of the most accurate rifles I own. And it will shatter a concrete block at a hundred yards.
>>
File: GEDC0466_zpsu4bydpez.jpg (106 KB, 1024x175) Image search: [Google]
GEDC0466_zpsu4bydpez.jpg
106 KB, 1024x175
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u5m227oe4pf5e271eiunj0huk0&topic=39252.0 - $1750

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles03.htm - the PA fowler is on my bucket list
>>
>>29186918
I would say those prices are pretty decent, but how is the quality of the manufacturer?
>>
>>29179024
What is the best way to determine the amount of black powder for your firearm?
>>
>>29179024
Just bought an "Early Virginia" from TennesseeValleyMuzzleloading
I am thrilled. It is beautiful.
Check out their facebook page, too, for examples of their work.
They'll make you a flintlock, with your custom options, to order. It took mine six months to arrive- but it'll be a family heirloom. a real piece of art. Did I mention that I was pleased?
>>
>>29185802
Not just historically accurate but build quality. There's a lot of cheap Indian made flintlocks coming over, but the quality and attention to detail just isn't there. Remember you get what you pay for.
>>
>>29188567
What brand do you recommend for a military style musket?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3242x1610) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3242x1610
I'm lucky enough to already have a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle. It was made by a good friend of my dad, William Kennedy, who was and still is widely regarded to have been one of the best modern gunsmiths around. His last big job before he died was making the brace of pistols used by Johnny Depp as Captian Jack Sparrow.
>>
>>29188600
For one that you just buy and go shoot, I'd get a Pedersoli. They are good quality guns, look good, and their percussion arms are N-SSA approved. The N-SSA being one of the biggest black powder shooting organizations in the country. Only reason flints aren't approved is that there are no flintlock shoots, it's Civil War firearms shooting.
>>
For the cost, I would go full bore and buy a nice antique
>>
>>29179024
My advice.... Don't buy a flintlock
>>
File: 1453440298866.png (78 KB, 213x232) Image search: [Google]
1453440298866.png
78 KB, 213x232
>>29180113
>properly lubed mini balls
>>
>>29190689
well ids habbenin so, sorry kiddo
>>
>>29184730
As nearly always with black powder : "it really depends on the gun"
>>
My favorite black powder gun is the Kentucky Rifle in .45; percussion

It just works.

The Italian repos tend to be fine (there's not much you can do to fuck up when making them).

Power is so so (about .30 Carbine from a rifle), but that can be good as you can use it on smaller game without blowing it up, and a good shot will down a deer under 100 yards.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.