[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people on here black out the serial number in paint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: bvllPtzl.jpg (95 KB, 640x531) Image search: [Google]
bvllPtzl.jpg
95 KB, 640x531
Why do some people on here black out the serial number in paint when they post pics of their guns?
>>
>>29164684
Incase some basement dweller wants to troll and make someones life hard report the gun stolen, itll lead to some serious shit if you ever get caught with it by police. Also the fucking serial number has all your info same as your ID
>>
>>29164684
Because this is 4chan and some jackass might report that firearm as stolen.
>>
>>29164696
Thanks
>>
>>29164696
Don't they have some registry in order to stop that?
>>
>They might report it as stolen!!
I want you guys to think real, real hard about why this would not work.
>>
File: IMG_3281.jpg (277 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3281.jpg
277 KB, 1600x1200
I've reported a firearm stolen before. The ATF then contacted the FFL I transferred it through to verify I had actually purchased it. It certainly changed my opinion about serial number secrecy.
>>
>>29166825
I'll be dammed if they start a registry in my state
>>
>>29166825
A registry is against the law
>>
>>29166840
>real, real
You should take many, many grammar courses.
>>
>>29166933
what if you had bought it secondhand?
>>
>>29167662
Well, some states require FFLs to do the transfer so there's that. Other than that there's teh Bill of Sale.
>>
>>29167618
Tell that to the People's Republic of Hawai'i...

Damn pineapples...
>>
>>29164684
Because there are lots of stupid people who believe that it's much easier to report a firearm stolen that it actually is.

Others are just paranoid that da gubbamint is using their pictures and IPs to build a database of gun owners for eventual confiscation. Which is probably true, but shit will get so real when they actually try to execute such an action that I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>29167749
What animu is this and why are the police using Galils?
>>
>>29164684
All data is usable it's just a question of how much effort you want to go through to use it. Sure most of the time it'll be fine, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little protection.
>>
>>29167662
The eTrace system is rudimentary, it can only trace to the first retail purchaser. Your FFL has to keep the 4473 you completed on file for 20 years which would provide proof of your purchase. If you bought it face-to-face, it would be prudent to have a bill of sale signed by both parties.
>>
The same reason they put a black bar over their eyes when posting pictures of themselves or their dogs.
OPSEC

Not that anybody can really do anything with your gun's serial number unless they're really dedicated, or a picture of your face for that matter, it doesn't hurt to be safe.
>>
File: 4532415.jpg (68 KB, 600x758) Image search: [Google]
4532415.jpg
68 KB, 600x758
>>29167749
Plz answer >>29167799
>>
>>29168011
It looks like Cowboy Bebop, but I'm not 100% sure
>>
>>29167871
>it doesn't hurt to be safe
this desu senpai. Having many family members and myself with security clearances, I take OPSEC and PERSEC very seriously, even for something as small as my gun's serial number.
>>
>>29168011
Google reveals it's a music video by Studio Ghibli for the song "On Your Mark" by Chage & Aska.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.