[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gas masks /k/ what do you recommend? there are so many options
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: $_35.jpg (9 KB, 267x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
9 KB, 267x300
gas masks /k/

what do you recommend?
there are so many options out there, and the science quickly gets hard to understand

there are isreali surplus (pic related) that were distributed when sadam was threatening chemical attacks on isreal, they come with old NATO NBC (bio-chem-nuclear) filters and are probably the cheapest masks on the market.
but they look awkward as fuck and I'm not sure about the filters effectiveness

there is also a sol of soviet bloc surplus, but the quality and reliability of it varies widely, many of the filters are mildly poisonous themselves and all the ones I've seen are heavy and cumbersome
upside is that they reduce the lifespan of cosplayers

there are modern industrial masks, tried and tested for a wide wide array of polutants and chemicals
m3 is perhaps the biggest supplier
prices are cheap, everything is reliable
for tear gas a half face mask and swimwear goggles are widely recommended
the only downside is that there are not really "general use" filters for OHS reasons, so you have to do some research on what you want to protect against
they also generally lack drinking tubes, which could be important if you are expecting TEOTWAWKI

also for consideration of survivalists is that you can't change the filter on some masks without exposing yourself to unfiltered air
since the lifespan of filters is rated at only a few hours in contaminated air, and often also limited breathing regular air this could be important

I strongly suspect that a lot of masks sold are just junk, sold because the manufacturers/retailers think nobody will ever actually use it
or some masks are simply issues to give confidence to troops or the populus
>>
>What do you recommend

The realization that the overwhelming majority of chemical weapons are wicked contact poisons. A mask isn't going to do much past CS.
>>
>>29155160
gas masks are made to be used as a temporary solution until you can find safety, plus they need to be put on BEFORE any event takes place. seems impractical imo

[spoiler]but i'd prefer an S10 NBC[/spoiler]
>>
>>29155198
This. If you aren't equipped and TRAINED for use of full hazmat gear and decontamination, as well as chemical identification, you are wasting your money.
>>
>>29155198
for those who want to fight tha powah protection from CS gas might be important, or you know
for spray painters

>overwhelming majority of chemical weapons are wicked contact poisons
maybe, maybe not

it would depend more on what an attacker had stockpiled, I would suspect that the worst of everything would fall on higher priority targets; and since civilians have NO protection from gas, an attacker might just use whatever was easiest to mass produce

also I'd much rather contact poison on my skin than in my eyes or my lungs
for light exposure a mask might be enough to keep you alive
>>
>>29155282
that's traditional wisdom, but I could see value in having something to put on while passing through contaminated areas, like driving through a city or retrieving supplies from places nobody else could

also I'm no expert, but I'd image gas could blow through an area, causing less residual contamination; and loose potency over time in the environment
it could be important if you are working with chemicals yourself after aid becomes scarce

a "dustbowl" type scenario also seems really likely to me
either because crops have been attacked, there arn't enough resources to tend farms, or nobody is willing to tend them
within two years of a major conflict we could all be living in a duststorm
>>
>>29155391
well it's certainly true that if you can't put on your mask properly or in time it won't help you much

but there is protection by degree, would you rather cop some exposure because you didn't de-contaminate properly, and risk having the wrong kind of gear than having no gear and no protection at all?
>>
>>29155477
of course, it really depends on the situation. it would definitely be helpful in a dustbowl-type scenario
>>
>>29155525
in terms of likelihood,I would consider a dust bowl one of the most likely because it could be caused by such a wide range of scenarios

anything that caused the plants dying or the people leaving/dying.
economic collapse meaning nobody could afford to maintain farmland, major attack in the farming belt, plague or pestilence, climate change or a bio disaster like a GM accident or a temperature change
hell even a long drought, and lots of people practically live in a dessert already
>>
>>29155502
>would you rather cop some exposure because you didn't de-contaminate properly, and risk having the wrong kind of gear than having no gear and no protection at all?
In a case where you may need one for protection from anything other than tear gas, it's all or nothing.
>>
Is the Drager any good? I see them for around 20 bucks.
>>
https://thirdrei.ch/CBRNGear
>>
>>29156003
>In a case where you may need one for protection from anything other than tear gas, it's all or nothing.

that's a very strong and broad claim, what makes you think that?
>>
>>29156173
My training. If you aren't equipped properly to handle a scenario, don't fucking get in that situation. Bottom line. Most of the stuff that will be a serious danger will kill you if you are not properly protected. Chlorine can kill you whether you have a mask or not along with thousands of other chemicals. Any bioagents you miss doing a decon and you are fucked. Some chemicals require such a small amount to kill you that the little bit you missed on decon will be your lights out.
>>
http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/
>>
>>29156528
>Israeli gas mask
>$80

Is all their stuff this overpriced?
>>
File: all the way up.jpg (37 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
all the way up.jpg
37 KB, 600x597
>>29156528
>http://www.approvedgasmasks.com
>>
>>29155160
How do you guys feel about SCBA and rebreathers?
>>
>>29155160
https://www.scottsafety.com/en/emea/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?productdetail=M95+Full+Facepiece
If you can find one, buy it. Had one of these during my conscript service and it's the best thing ever.
>>
>>29158162
where do you buy them from?
I can only seem to get them from burger land for like $80 US+ $80 shipping (fucking ebay global ship program)
>>
>>29158226
I don't know. That's the only problem; they're hard to find.
>>
>>29156528
Approved by who?
>>
File: respiratoryprotection_index.jpg (120 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
respiratoryprotection_index.jpg
120 KB, 336x336
Military gas masks suck balls. Half the time they don't fit properly, and they'll only protect you against a few different kinds of chemical hazards.

Just buy a fucking pic related like a normie and stock up on whatever filters suit the hazards you actually expect to encounter.
>>
>>29158878
>>29158878
definitely what I was leaning towards

the problem I'm having though is making sense of the filters
because they are for industrial applications they presume the user knows what kind of chemical they are going to be exposed to

and the usage time in particular is only rated to industrial standards

for instance what I know about spray painting I need a combination of a particle filter, a organic vapor filter and maybe one for oil vapours (which I think mess up particle filters)
>>
File: IMAG0676.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0676.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>29155282
Here's my fm12
>>
File: IMAG0073.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0073.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>29159303
And the rest of mine
Happy to answer any questions
>>
>>29159165
Civ respirators offer a higher level of protection than milsurp gas masks.

If you're not gearing toward a specific hazard in your area, get the multigas cartidges with P-100 prefilters. That covers all of the threats you would reasonably expect to face.

Btw, oil vapor is the same thing as organic vapor. P-100 filters are ok for oil mist environments. The N series particulate filters are the ones that can't handle oils.

If you're concerned about a specific valid threat in your area, you will also want to stock up on protective clothing. Getting a 4 gas meter is also recommended. It also wouldn't hurt to stock up on the materials necessary to put up a makeshift decon station- kiddy pools, duct tape, and visqueen.

You can get it all out of the Lab Safety Supply catalog.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.