[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
F-35 question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 900x500
So, what does /k/ think about the F-35? Is it worth the money? Is it good enough to justify all the $$$ that the government is spending on it, when it could be using that same money for things like healthcare, education, and infrastructure? I read that for the price of one F-35, we could buy as many as six F-16's. If that's true then it seems like it would make more sense to just buy more F-16's to have a larger fleet of planes for a lower price.
>>
>>29154915
No modern tactical fighter is worth the asking price these days. The F16 was a fourth the price 30+ years ago
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 1278x792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 1278x792
It wouldn't stand a chance to a MiG-29 or a Su-27
>>
>Muh stealth plane
It works only against 3rd world countries. Modernized Soviet and Russian AA can deal with all that 'stealth' bullshit
>>
Shit plane
Made by americucks so it's nothing surprising
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 450x226) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 450x226
>>
>5 replies
>2 poster
пpeкpaти ceмeнить лoлкa
>>
File: 1454655008268.png (472 KB, 791x753) Image search: [Google]
1454655008268.png
472 KB, 791x753
The US is never going to do a "one size fits all" plane again because of how badly the development of the f-35 has gone. They're going to go back to specialized planes for the navy, air force and so on.
>>
>>29155307
This Fucking killed me holy fuck.
>>
>>29155332
Yeah, just like how the F-111 killed multiroles, right?
>>
>>29155450
Considering how it lead to the development of the highly successful f-14, f-15, f-16 and A-10... yes, yes it did kill multi roles for a while.
>>
File: jet fighter crash.webm (1 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
jet fighter crash.webm
1 MB, 480x360
>>29155224
>>
>>29155476

>F-14, F-15, F-16

All of these started out as interceptors and quickly evolved into fighter/attack aircraft.
>>
>>29155224

A

FUCKING

SU-27
>>
>>29155529
Interceptors are always the best jets. I don't know why we don't make everything an interceptor variant.
>>
>>29155529
Congrats, you've described multiroles.
>>
It is. For the price, it has an amazing sensor suite, and it's VLO, which is incredibly useful despite what >>29155023 is going on about, more fuel than a F-15, a higher weapons capacity than the A-10 and F-16, and all these other nice features. The B model will be a major step up for the marines, since they'll finally have a proper multirole to launch off their LHDs.
>>
The F-35 is one of those shitty requirements that the US needs to spend absurd amounts of money on if it wants to retain its current position. Then again so is infrastructure but no one funds that.

The airframes of the US and NATO are wearing out and need a replacement, the fundamental choices are either to develop a new aircraft(s) or stick with legacy systems. Western doctrine has always emphasized air superiority and qualitative advantages so the new design choice was made. Unfortunately new generations of aircraft cost a fuck-ton more then the previous generation. There was an interview with someone involved in the F-15 program when that was going on we he joked that in a couple more generations the Air Force and Navy would have to share the single plane the budget could afford. Higher cost and lower numbers is to be expected.

A lot gets said about making it a multi-role aircraft but the facts are that its mostly replacing multi-role planes in US inventory, virtually no-one in NATO uses anything but multi-role and you get better performance if you are up front about requirements, rather then slapping on some hard points and bombs onto a day fighter like we did with the F-16. In addition dedicated aircraft are not immune to program failures and cost overruns, look at the canceled A-12 program and the B-2's failure to replace the B-52.

The F-35 is hardly a great example of procurement but is FAR from the worse.
>>
File: 1455773616807.jpg (23 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1455773616807.jpg
23 KB, 337x367
>>29155824
>more fuel than a F-15
>higher weapons capacity than the A-10
>>
>>29154915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZNBkKdO5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyHlp7tJrxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31oJIo8EVwY
>>
>>29156154
What myths do Jamie and Adam solve in these videos?
>>
>>29156482
Vatniks made$ 2219 working at home with this program. You can also do if you have a computer and an internet connection. Dont miss that one if u have 1-2 hours spare time daily uwneiy
>>
>>29154948
Does that mean fighter jets are in an economic bubble right now?

Will I be able to buy an F-35 for fifteen dollars when the fighter market collapses?
>>
>>29155023
Not even that, wasn't a stealth plane shot down by serbs in Yugoslavia?
>>
>>29156873
A f117 that had flown the same route multiple times, had a malfunction in its bombay jamming it open and was within 10km of the vhf emitter yes. Also the f117 has no rwr unlike the f35 so it had no idea it was being targeted.
>>
>>29156873
That had far more to do with the personal involved than the equipment. The American's got complacent and the Serbs figured out a way to exploit the complacently.
>>
>>29156033
Both are entirely true.
>>
>>29155476
it also hurt the development of all of them by taking fundings away from them
>>
The F-35 is kinda meant to be a jack of all trades.

I think it'll be a perfect bread and butter plane for decades.

It's a fighter-bomber, so of course a mission dedicated design would excel over it but a jack of all trades, master of none is still better than a master of one.
>>
>>29156033
F-35's internal fuel load is fucking huge; F-35C carries an empty F-16 in fuel, it has the same fuel capacity as a Su-27 while having half the number of engines.

Bags absolutely kill performance and RCS, F-35 has huge tanks so it doesn't need them for most missions.

As for payload, F-35 lifts much much more than A-10. One F-135 has more thrust than 4 TF-34's, which is all you need to know.
>>
File: highalpha.webm (693 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
highalpha.webm
693 KB, 1280x720
''On the positive side I would like to highlight how the F-35 feels in the air. I am impressed with the stability and predictability of the airplane. Particularly at high AOA and low airspeeds. It is a peculiar feeling to be flying the F-35 at high AOA. I can pull the nose up to where my feet «sit» on the horizon and still maintain level altitude. I’m also impressed by how quickly the F-35 accelerates when I reduce the AOA. High AOA produces lots of lift, but also tremendous induced drag. When I «break» the AOA, it is evident that the F-35 has a powerful engine. The F-35 also makes a particular sound at this point. When I quickly reduce the AOA – stick full forward – I can hear clearly, even inside the «cockpit» how the F-35 howls! It seems like the «howling» is a mix of airflow over the wings and a different kind of noise from the engine. Maybe this isn’t all that relevant, but I still think it´s a funny observation. Another aspect is the kind of reaction I get when I push the stick forward; the F-35 reacts immediately, and not delayed like the F-16. Looking at another F-35 doing such maneuvers is an impressive sight. The various control surfaces on the airplane are large, and they move very quickly. I can monitor these movements on the screens in my cockpit, and I´m fascinated by how the control surfaces move when I manipulate the stick and pedals. Especially at high AOA, it is not always intuitive what control surfaces move, and by how much.''

- http://theaviationist.com/2016/03/01/heres-what-ive-learned-so-far-dogfighting-in-the-f-35-a-jsf-pilot-first-hand-account/
>>
>>29158327
''The visual fight will most likely already be decided before the adversary knows it’s in a dogfight, continues Gladys. “Even so, slow-speed and high angle-of-attack performance is much better than many fourth generation fighters like the F-16. High angle of attack testing has been an eye-opener for previous F-16 pilots, who are not used to very good slow speed performance. Straight line acceleration is also much better. At higher speeds, the F-16 has the sustained turning advantage (as it does over many aircraft like the F-18), but only when fighting in training configurations without any missiles or bombs. When flying in combat configs, even the high speeds sustained fight becomes much closer.”

- http://airheadsfly.com/2016/01/26/dutch-lightning-testers/
>>
>>29155543
Easy there with memes, buddy.
>>
>>29156873
Nobody draws attention to the fact that the Serbs launched almost 1000 missiles and only shot down 2 planes.

0.3% hit-rate is the kind of accuracy that gets a weapon system laughed out of existence.
>>
We're you the guy who posted this question on /pol/ last night?
>>
>>29155224
Oh look, a loaded roll. Something every fighter from the fourth generation up is capable of.
>>
File: 1456176399361.jpg (108 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1456176399361.jpg
108 KB, 1024x768
>>29156724
If only.
>>
>>29155023
See
>>29158357
This pretty much desu senpai.
>>
>>29155529
The F-14 was developed as an interceptor. The F-15 was built as a pure Air Superiority and the E model as a strike fighter. The YF-16 was designed as a dogfighter. The F-16 was a multi-role from day 1.
>>
>>29159928
>f-16 was multirole from day 1
The only American 4th gen fighter that can try to make that claim is the F/A-18 series because it's numerically different from the YF-17.
The F-16 started as Spreys dream fighter.
>>
>>29160559
Nope. The only stage the Critics were involved in were the rough draft Red Bird proposal, which was mostly just an anti-Blue Bird/F-X/F-15 proposal. It was the base for Lightweight Fighter that produced the YF-16/17.

However, the Air Force made changes that made the F-16 bigger, longer, heavier, and, most importantly, a fighter-bomber, with a lot of the stuff the Critics didn't want, like a radar, before final production approval.
>>
>>29160675
So you're just going to pretend the YF-16 doesn't exist.
>>
>>29162537
>Point out in both posts that there are key differences between YF-16 and F-16
>So you're just going to pretend the YF-16 doesn't exist.
You're a special kind of stupid, ain't ya?
>>
>>29162537

There were major differences between the YF-16 and the plane that ended up in service.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.