[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix the Marines? I'll start: >get rid of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
How do we fix the Marines? I'll start:

>get rid of the fixed wing aviation wing and go back to being the amphibious assault force that they are supposed to be.
>>
Needs more women in combat positions. Feminine intuition ftw.
>>
by electing trump
>>
>How do we fix the Marines? I'll start:

Uh, gonna need to change laws about amphibious assaults then.
>>
>>29148721
so, how will the marines conduct an amphibious assault on a country with no coastline?
>>
>>29148721
Absorb them into the Army. let them retain their name and uniforms and traditions and all that shit, but they will be Army.

Then train them to a higher level and use them as the sharp point of the spear.

Basically, just like the French have the Legion: completely part of the French Army, but keeping their own traditions, and they are the first ones sent when the French Army goes anywhere.
>>
>>29148782
>Make different people sign their check

TOTALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT NOW
>>
>>29148774
if they don't have a coastline then you create one
>>
He might want to flip up his rear sight.
>>
>>29148782
>Basically, just like the French have the Legion: completely part of the French Army, but keeping their own traditions, and they are the first ones sent when the French Army goes anywhere.

But that's bullshit.
>>
>>29148782
>Absorb them into the Army

AF can't even retire one plane without everyone going full "muh nostalgia". Good luck with that.
>>
>>29148721
Drown the world in water, we all Marines now.
>>
>>29148782

The Rangers are exactly that and do everything better than marines already.
>>
>>29148782
The Legion aren't like the marines at all.
>>
>>29148837
Rangers can't do everything. There's only a couple thousand of them.

There needs to be an intermediate force between the highly competent Rangers and the grossly incompetent, welfare-queen rest of the Army.

Use the Marines. Train them to a higher standard.
>>
>>29148721
>not knowing how Marines work

Goddamn, I swear some of you post the most ridiculous shit, but I was once ignorant so I'll have patience.

Please read up on the purposes of each branch and then you'll realize why the Corps needs a Wing.
>>
File: lol manatee IpOTMK0.jpg (51 KB, 610x480) Image search: [Google]
lol manatee IpOTMK0.jpg
51 KB, 610x480
>>29148721

>Rear sight post down.

Sasuga Marines Corps.
>>
>>29148721
put them back on the ship, leave them there.
>>
They need to be an actual amphibious force, with theactual capability to land a heavy armored force on a beach.
Not some shitty light infantry helicopter assault force, which we've spent decades will always be a disaster.

Also they need to stop being egotistical fuckups
>>
>>29148774
they don't get involved. That is the army's job.
>>
>>29149460
but that's a seal
>>
>>29148774
They won't, they will deploy as a second land army with no equipment suitable for that, and ask the army to be able to use their helicopters because they've bought useless V-22's

They'll procede to take high amounts of casualties & lose battles until eventually they are removed from the theater
>>
>>29148782
>let them retain their name and uniforms and traditions and all that shit
...No, that's part of the problem.
>>
>>29148721
Absorb all fast jets into the navy, harriers, add more turbo prop, add more A10s (dont retire them!), leave them in the marines (but reduce the number of harriers. They have too many, not cost effective)
Take out all heavy tanks, equip them with newer medium and fast light tanks (modern anti tank missiles mean that faster, lighter tanks are as effective, if under armoured[tho speed takes out some of the under effectiveness, and small size allows easier manouverability in cities]) as they are quicker to deploy. Reduce over all size, marines is just too big.
Not a USFag, think your military spending is ridiculous, but i know you guys would wanna keep the marines as effective, and i think that that would do it. Use aa weapons and USAF/USN as your aircorce for marines, only keep ground support. Make them a fast, rapidly deployable force.
Thoughts?
>>
>>29148800
literally the most american POV on warfare ive seen on this site yet
>>
>>29148806
>>29148852
This so much. Legion are essentially an African and colony stability force. The french use their mainland military for all majot operations, every part of it, unless its in the African /colonies theatres.
Its a good method, and its long established. The US marines is a totally different ball game. Theyve not been marines for a long time. They are now a mobile assault force tied to the USN in name and traditions, but there's no reason to change that.
Thiugh the us army should be reduced in size, whilst boosting elements like the rangers
>>
File: AAV-australia.jpg (1 MB, 1268x1012) Image search: [Google]
AAV-australia.jpg
1 MB, 1268x1012
>>29148721

Can this thing really hold 20 passengers? Jeeze, imagine if it sank. 20 people would die!
>>
>>29149679

I think the top is left open when its on the water so if it sinks the marines will just inflate their life vest and be fine.
>>
>>29149699
>the marines will just inflate their life vest and be fine
U mean the actual roof can come off, because if not, wouldn't they just all bunch up at the hatch?
>>
>>29149679
24 marines* would die
not people

>>29149623
What medium tank, what light tank
the US seems to have serious procurement issues on new ground vehicles

The #1 problem with the marines is decades ago they adopted this doctrine of "over the horizon" invasion, and have only sought to procure new vehicles around that.

Despite the fact it's not even physically/logistically possible
>>
File: aav-05.03-1[1].jpg (107 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
aav-05.03-1[1].jpg
107 KB, 1024x768
>>29149722

Its like this
>>
make them focus on their core mission of being an amphibious assault force. if it's not about amphibious assault they should't get funding.
>>
>>29149772
o ok, gotcha.
>>
>>29149550
Look closer, he's definitely a Marine.
>>
>>29149566
V-22's are just fine you meme spouting retard
>>
File: 1454352619738.gif (2 MB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
1454352619738.gif
2 MB, 300x222
>>29148721
>>get rid of the fixed wing aviation wing and go back to being the amphibious assault force that they are supposed to be.

Except that makes them pretty useless. Massive amphibious invasions don't happen every 10 years.

I could see maybe integrating their aviation wing officially into the Navy, but that doesn't really do anything.

Marines in the 21st century are already changing. See how we used them in Iraq. Marines are changing into fast, mobile shock troops-- which honestly fits their mentality and tradishuns pretty well.

Keep the amphibious part of them. Who knows, we may use it one day, but definitely give them more mobility. Marines are going to continue to be the guys dumb/brave enough to push through a minefield into a defensive line.

Not saying the Army shouldn't be as aggressive, but the Marine doctrine should continue to develop into a shock troop element. Fast, hard, fierce.
>>
>>29148721
>get rid of the fixed wing aviation wing
won't happen. read an article last year that explained how the Marines got their shit pushed in during some battle because they lacked dedicated CAS (poss wwII or Korea, I forget) so they took a "never again" attitude and created this whole self contained fighting force thing that has mutated into the Marines of today. You will not take away their fixed wing, you will not take away their rotary.
>>
>>29148721
The USMC should be more like the Royal Marines. All that needs to happen is a trimming of the fat. USMC units should be organized into MEUs. Anything that isnt organic to a MEU needs to be gotten the fuck rid of. We are too bloated. Make there be an actual attrition rate in training. Boom. Fixed. Changing uniforms and name tapes won't fix anything. They are already a dept of the navy, what needs to happen is more integration into the navy. All the admin shit should be handled by sailors after we get rid of admin MOS.
>>
>>29149656
Légionnaires are used as shock troops as well. Légionnaires deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan
And the regular army is also sent to Africa as well
The anon you responded to was much closer to correct than you
Don't be a futfut
>>
>>29148800
i think i read this line somewhere
>>
>>29150424
As a navyfag i fuckin agree, dont understand why the difference in logistics and operating. Aviation is good for that though, marine and navy squadrons are organizationally identical
>>
>>29148721
equalize the battlefield
>>
File: F35 - USMC & RAF Typhoons.jpg (484 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
F35 - USMC & RAF Typhoons.jpg
484 KB, 1280x1920
>>29148721
The strength of the USMC lies in the coordinated use of combined arms. Why would you remove dedicated fixed wing support?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.