[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to predict site picture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: GLOCK SIGHTS.png (15 KB, 1010x494) Image search: [Google]
GLOCK SIGHTS.png
15 KB, 1010x494
Is there an app that will give measurements for how a sight picture will look based on input like sleeve length and sight radius?

I might
>0.215x0.115 front post
and this
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/battlehook-rear-sight-for-glock--prod55216.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Glock__17

but the heights are different. Don't you want them to be the same. How do I know what thicknesses will give the air gap I want. They'll be apart on the slide so it's not like you can just measure and take the difference flatly?
>>
I don't know about all that math shit, but I do like me some warren tactical sights.
>>
>>29142850
Odd, that picture was actually helpful. Thanks for the post.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 414x576) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 414x576
This is what I mean, should I just calculate for 2 isosceles triangles to figure it out?
>>
>>29142814

Why would you want that? Don't you want to be able to align your sights accurately more quickly? Having that much air on either side of the front sight post will cause you to take a longer time acquiring a sight picture.
>>
>>29142814

OP, delete your thread and never come back here. ever. for any reason.

this post is some jesus-grade autism. it's so neurotic and meaningless of a question that it actually died for all of the other autismos, rose three days later, and ascended to mental handicap heaven to watch over the tardos for all of eternity.

shit, just to be certain: kill yourself ASAP.
>>
>>29144714
No it won't. I want to be able to see "equal height and equal light" easily. The Glock sight blurrs out on me after a couple of aimed shots.

>>29144751
Shhh, people who own guns are talking.
>>
File: wrong.png (50 KB, 1160x1384) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
50 KB, 1160x1384
Well, thought it was figured out but nope.
Why isn't this answer correct?
>>
>>29147691
What pistol are you using?
Why wouldn't you just buy a proven sight set for your gun from a reputable brand?
>>
>>29147797
Unhappy with the amount of air around the front post which changes depending on how far away you hold the gun from your face. If I kept my arms bent when shooting the sight picture would be perfect but I don't and I'm tall.

Looking for a way to predict air around the front post before buying the parts based on guessing.
>>
>>29146859
>No it won't. I want to be able to see "equal height and equal light" easily. The Glock sight blurrs out on me after a couple of aimed shots.
Actually it will increase the amount of time it takes you to align your sights. I've never heard any reputable person who knows how to shoot say, as if it were a quotable phrase "equal height equal light." If you have the same amount of air space on either side of the front sight post as the height of the front sight post, then you'd really be reducing precision by a lot. Why do you want so much air space?
>>
>>29147806
Figured it out, disregard thread.

Looking sight picture

Rear notch to front notch
.25 to .156
.27 to .170
Etc... If my math was right.
>>
>>29148053
No, you aim by making sure your sight are at equal height and the light /air gaps are equal.
I'm having trouble seeing air gaps and front post, I want bigger.
>>
>>29148085
>/air gaps are equal.
And the more space your front sight post has to swim around in, the more imprecise it is to aim. Why is this such a difficult concept for you?
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 550x578) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 550x578
>>29142814
>An interesting thread on /k/

Hey OP, crippling autism aside, I think you should practice shooting more often. You can only learn so much from theory, and even then, much of that theory is pure conjecture from those that practice more than you. Go buy a couple thousand rounds and make it a point to consistently go to your local range for a month. I guarantee that one of two things will happen: you will buy different sights for your glock, or you will learn that your "equal air gaps" mean shit with respect to quick target acquisition.
>>
>>29148144
I shoot one hole inside of ten yards asshat. I just want easier to see sights.
>>
>>29142814
You don't want the same height for front and rear sights, because if you do you'll never have a zero at any distance. The front sight is supposed to be shorter than the rear.

OP personally I think your insistence on 3 equal size cubes is misguided. IMO it's much easier to shoot if the corners of the rear sight are rounded like on the 10-8 Glock sights.

>>29148053
You don't know jack shit about pistol shooting, buddy. "Equal height equal light" has been around forever.

Outside of bullseye shooting wide rear notches are very popular in competitive pistol shooting. For example, Dave Sevigny shoots with a .115" front and a .150" rear. Stock Glock sights are something like .140" front .140" rear. The wider rear notch on competition sights is supposed to make it easier to pick up the front sight while moving, under recoil, at speed, etc. I can't think of any USPSA champs who shoot with equal width front and rear sights. Every USPSA champ I can think of has a wider rear notch than front sight blade. This is called a clue.
>>
>>29142814
Unless you are just looking at slow fire at the range, you're going to want some bright colors on the sights to pick them up quicker and easier.
>>
>>29149071
Thank you!!!
>>
>>29148053
Even glock has equal light. It doesnt mean light bars the same as the front sight, it means that the light bars to the left and right of the post are the same you baboon.
>>
>>29150185
>>29149071
OP is talking about the visible gaps on either side of the front sight post being equal to the height of the front sight post. That is most definitely NOT normal.
>>
File: DSCF0528.jpg (529 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0528.jpg
529 KB, 1600x1200
>>29149071
>The front sight is supposed to be shorter than the rear.
>>
>>29150209
Op here, you're not even close.
>>
>>29150223
That's not a good thing if the front is taller. That gun is going to shoot low, as logic would suggest.
>>
>>29150810
As a fixed barrel gun the recoil tilts it up before the bullet leaves the barrel so it needs to be aimed low, thus the tall f front post.
Is one of the seldom mentioned disadvantages of a revolver because different recoiling ammo will hit higher or lower do to the effect.

Delayed tilt autos are less affected. I don't know why you would ever want a low post though. Pretty sure I want them the same on a 9mm.
>>
>>29150223
What grips are on that governor?
>>
>>29150851
A lot of aftermarket Glock sights (Heinie, 10-8, Sevigny) are something on the order of .215" tall front + .250" tall rear. This gives a close intersection around 10 yards or so with most guns and lets you use a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards. Something like .235" or .245" tall front with .250" tall rear gives POI=POA at 25 yards, depending somewhat on the gun and its unlocking.
>>
>>29150987
>6 o'clock hold
I see; do not want.
>>
Found this excellent read on the topic

http://www.10-8performance.com/choosing-sights/
>>
>>29150878
Hogue G10. It's just mycarte
>>
File: brownells.png (244 KB, 1270x824) Image search: [Google]
brownells.png
244 KB, 1270x824
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/tfo-front-with-plain-rear-sight-set-for-glock--prod77763.aspx

There is nothing that shows the width.

So I want .125 width front paired with .140 rear and stylistically like pic related.
It seems that because the rear is a dovetail you need to get different heights.
No gun store around here knows what the fuck I'm talking about and I don't want 6 o'clock hold.
I got the width figured out.

What sights give an on target sight picture and are .125 width front and .140 rear?
>>
>>29154019
Depends a little on the gun but you should consider .235" tall front, .250" tall rear. 10-8 makes fiber fronts in a variety of heights, and you can get a .140" wide .250" tall rear from them as well, though the notch is U-shaped instead of square.
>>
>>29150851
I've seen some dumb shit, but this is by far the dumbest.
>>
>>29157701
Feel free to explain yourself.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.