[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Powder/Cap and Ball Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: rem1858_armi_san_paolo.jpg (16 KB, 605x282) Image search: [Google]
rem1858_armi_san_paolo.jpg
16 KB, 605x282
Hey /k/,

Black powder thread.

I am thinking of getting my first handgun and black powder firearm this weekend. A remington 1858 pietta new army at cabelas.

Is this a good choice? Range fudds suggested it to me over colts. (I kinda like 1851 navy.)

I am semi worried about cleaning it since you can't take the barrel off like the colt.

Any advice? Is it hard to maintain?

What should I buy other than .454 balls?

Is 777 powder any good for cap and ball revolvers?
>>
File: photo.jpg (58 KB, 720x481) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
58 KB, 720x481
>>29133359
Do I need to take gun completely down every time I clean it for 1858? Or can I scrub barrel and chambers with water and dry it and only clean grip frame every so often?
>>
>>29133359
I have one and haven't shot it with BP and balls yet but have a conversion cylinder for it. I shot a couple cylinders worth of .45 LC(all I had on hand) and it was tits. Having a non-removeable barrel shouldn't be much harder to clean. Cylinder come out semi easily on 1858s(spare loaded ones can be swapped if the caps stay on). I've heard of people cleaning muzzleloaders by pouring hot soapy water down the barrel and scrubbing and drying.
>>
They're a good choice. Said to be stronger than the colts due to top strap on the frame. Cylinders can be swapped withtout having to take the gun apart. And the cylinders have 6 extra notches so the hammer can be lowered on one without worry of discharge from bumpin or jumpin. Cocking the hammer rotates to a chamber. tldr it's a good choice and not any harder to maintain than other bp guns.
>>
File: 002.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>29133359
>(I kinda like 1851 navy.)

If you like the Colt then get the Colt. People get a little weird about the top strap thing, but in the end the Colt is just as accurate as the Remington. Uburti makes some good reproduction Colts, or if you do a little looking you can find 2nd and 3rd gen Colts made by Colt. I have a 2nd gen Dragoon and it's a ball to shoot.
>>
Anybody on /k/ got one of these? They seem ridiculous but I kind of want one anyway.
>>
>>29133684
Issue is I want London Navy which cabelas doesn't carry. I'll grab one another time. Got gift cards to burn
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29133359
Not hard to maintain, better design than the 1851 navy imho. Follow the same guidelines as any other BP pistol and it will serve you well for years.
Only get .454 balls
Replace the factory nipples with better ones. Really any brand is good.
GET PROPERLY FITTING CAPS
Use good lube for conical bullets, I suggest beeswax

Also, piettas are cheap enough that you can fudd them to shit and not feel bad. Did pic related to my first 1858 and it's absolutely great for shiggles. In a way I even think it looks cool.
>>
>>29133758
Good god I've wanted one of those for two years now. It does things to my benis like you wouldn't believe.

That and pepper boxes in general. Weird guns are the shit.
>>
>>29133758
Looks like a Colt with no barrel.

I wish Pietta made something other than Colts and Remingtons. An Adams revolver would be nice, but it seems like there's only a market for American caplock revolvers.
>>
>>29134386
It pretty much is, just with the cylinder elongated. I think there's another version that's longer too. A scaled up smoothbore one of these in 20 ga would be nice.
>>
Do revolver that shoots bp cartridges (instead of ball and powder) still considered as firearm?
>>
>>29133438
It's a good idea to disassemble the entire pistol. Black powder residue gets everywhere, and you really don't want to let that sit, even in trace amounts.

Other than that, the Remington New Model Army is a much better shooter's pistol than the Colt series cap and ball guns, but the colts were favored back in their day for being better combat handguns.

The solid frame and better sight picture with the Remington will serve you better on a range than an open top Colt.
>>
>>29134386
Yeah, unfortunately the only other cap and ball revolvers Pietta makes are the LeMat reproductions, which usually sell for something like $1,000.

Would be cool if someone make a Merwin Hulbert reproduction or something like that too.
>>
>>29133359

Buy it.

I have an 1860 Colt Pietta from Cabelas, and it's the most fun for your dollar in firearms.

I highly recommend buying Triple 7 powder, which is a black powder substitute. It's consistent and way, way easier to clean up than other options.

You do have to take the cylinder out to clean, but you can do it with warm soapy water and a toothbrush, and a bore mop for the cylinder and bore.

I would share pictures, but I don't have any on my work computer.
>>
File: 1456920650199.png (11 KB, 510x424) Image search: [Google]
1456920650199.png
11 KB, 510x424
>>29134234
So you've finished it.
> neat it is...neat indeed.
>>
>>29133359
I have a 1860 Pietta, bought it from Cabelas. I liked the looks of the 1860 over the 1858 thats the only reason I went with the 1860. Clean it well and keep it oiled up when your not shooting it, its not made out of stainless steel. I use .454 balls in mine, and 777. I would use real BP but I cant find any in my area. 777 has worked fine so far so I guess its not a huge deal. Prepare to get messy, especially if you use grease and not wads. I also cant find any #10 caps in my area, but #11 work fine as long as you pinch them a little before you put them on.
>>
File: 20160228_211300.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160228_211300.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>tfw black powder thread but it's pretty late where I live and I have to get up early
Feels bad, keep the thread alive and I might post a few tips.

Have a pic of my half-finished case for now.
>>
>>29134234
Looks like a good concealable SHTF gun for yuropoors, and neat overall.

How's the accuracy?
>>
>>29141247
What kind of kit should I buy with my pistol?

Is this one any good? http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-by-pedersoli-black-powder-revolver-starter-kit/1619561.uts
>>
>>29141309
None, it's best to buy all the stuff individualy as starter kits usually have some unecessary gimmicks and are overpriced, at least if you ask me.

Powder flask, powder measure (you can use a spend case instead though, I use a .38 special for my .44 1858) nipple wrench, screwdrivers that fit all the screws on the gun (it's pretty easy to fuck those screws up, make sure it fits tightly) and cleaning rod is the bare minimum.

Also, don't pour the powder dorectly from the flask into chambers- might be there is still a burning ember somewhere and in that case the flask would be basically a pretty grenade. Pour to the measure first.

Use oversized balls to prevent chainfires. I use .451 in my .44.

Wads and/or lube is another way to prevent chainfires and allows you to shoot more before the accuracy drops from all the fouling.

I wouldn't use both though, no reason to. An oversized ball is enough and using one of the two is a good way to make absolutely sure there will be no chainfires no matter what. I prefer to use lubed wads, best of both worlds.

Gotta go to sleep now though.
>>
Does anyone make an affordable LeMat? I have a boner for one thanks to Ian-sempai
>>
File: gochuumon-ep8-marksmanship.jpg (114 KB, 809x454) Image search: [Google]
gochuumon-ep8-marksmanship.jpg
114 KB, 809x454
>>29141423
That's nice and all but I dont have a gunstore with black powder supplies near me.

Can anyone recommend a decent starters kit for shooting cap n ball?
>>
>>29141519
I ordered my 51 navy and a kit from cabelas when they were on sale. I know you said that there aren't any nearby, but look for the fuddiest gun & tackle you can find in town, they might have powder/caps. If not you'll get fucked on hazmat shipping
>>
>>29141452
Define affordable.
General Beauregard's personal LeMat (serial #8) is up for auction.
>>
>>29141423
>chainfire
please stop parroting this bullshit
>>
>>29142582
Something I can shoot that won't cost me a thousand+
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3496
>>
>>29137115
Someone tried, apparently they're rather expensive and complicated to make.
>>
>>29137286
Black powder isn't hard to clean out of a gun. Every time I shoot my revolver I just rub it down thoroughly with jojoba oil afterwards. No rust has formed.
>>
>>29142599
It's not bullshit.
>>
>bullshit
If you don't have a tight seal one way or the other, it will happen.

Try shooting with undersized balls and see for yourself.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.