[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://youtu.be/ivYlHU0Zi-I?t=5m6s >A machine gun on a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: loyd.jpg (299 KB, 884x649) Image search: [Google]
loyd.jpg
299 KB, 884x649
https://youtu.be/ivYlHU0Zi-I?t=5m6s

>A machine gun on a tripod is more powerful than a shoulder fire machine gun of the same caliber by a non-negligible amount

I usually like Lindybeige, but damn that was retarded for an educational video.
>>
>>29131432
lindys a guy who sounds like he knows whats hes talking about but most of the time hes full of shit and when he isnt full of shit he got to that conclusion the wrong way.
if you know anything about the subject matter hes talking about its obvious hes talking out his ass.
>>
>>29131485

He is a cool guy
>>
>>29131485
That's a shame, because I definitely like him and enjoy his content, or the content that I've seen of him anyway.
>>
He is a britcuck, what did you expect?
>>
Matt Easton is better anyway
>>
>>29131504
hes pretty entertaining but take anything he says with a grain of salt
>>
>>29131432
Huh?
I didn't knew that this guy expanded his videos into modern weaponries. I have seen only his medieval videos and damn they were really educational.
>>
He's full of shit about most of what he says.

He's just gleaning it from pop culture and saying it with hand gestures on a Youtube video.
>>
File: 1429326698675.jpg (59 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1429326698675.jpg
59 KB, 429x410
I never knew that /k/ hates lindybiege. Is wrong that I love his discussions about medieval technologies?

I also loved scholagladiatoria
>>
>>29131432
Did he say the word "powerful" exactly?

Because if he said effective, or meant effective, he would be entirely correct.
>>
>>29131579
i wouldnt say /k/ hates him you can still find him entertaining. we just recognize he is full of shit. hes like a tripfag, not an annoying tripfag shitting on everything but an idiot attempting to help.
>>
File: 1451178276374.png (33 KB, 917x1186) Image search: [Google]
1451178276374.png
33 KB, 917x1186
>>29131588
Ignore me, I just listened to it

He actually thinks tripod-mounted weapons are literally more powerful because energy from the bullet doesn't push you back (?)

He's legitimately fucking retarded.
>>
>>29131432

Only way I can think of to justify his comment is if he's thinking that the tripod being more rigid and stable absorbs less energy than a squishy human. It's the same amount of energy when the bullet leaves the barrel in either case, but without the backwards movement of the entire gun taking away from the muzzle velocity.
>>
>>29131811

He's a swordfag britbong trying to wrap his medieval mind around modern science and doctrine.

It's pretty funny how the stupid shit ancient warfare hobbyists say tends to sound exactly like the conjectures a time displaced simpleton would say.
>>
>>29131811
That's correct to an extent . Equal and opposite reaction. Some of the energy of the gas expension is used to push the gun backwards.

If only the bullet was a fixed object in space, then firing the rifle would cause the rifle itself to propel backwards. If the bullet in a rifle was the same mass as the rifle, then firing the rifle would cause the rifle and the bullet to both accelerate at roughly the same rate away from the starting point.

It's a nonzero but almost definitely negligible difference from a fixed position. It would be fun to experiment to determine the percent difference in velocity of the bullet fired from the shoulder versus from a fixed position. It would be such a small difference though that it would be almost impossible to measure, when you consider variations in bullet weight, powder loads, or even how much fouling there is in the barrel. Even atmospheric conditions could affect bullet velocity enough to mess up the test at the percent differences you would have to be measuring at.
>>
You guys are retarded, a machinegun isn't more "powerful" on a tripod but it sure as fuck is more accurate.
In term of killing people dead,
bullet in you > bullet next to you.
>>
>>29131968

So it's basically a non-factor and in no way whatsoever a phenomena that justified the employment of tripods on machineguns on it's own, let alone one military planners took into consideration at any moment.
>>
>>29132068
Yeah I kinda rambled. In no way did I mean to say it was relevant to mention in his video. And he sounded like an idiot
>>
https://youtu.be/HhGih7eWI3E?t=4m19s

This is what he was thinking of probably.
>>
>>29131432

I think what he meant to say is that its more effective, being fired from a stable position. He just worded it awkwardly.

Otherwise, I'd say he did a decent job explaining things.
>>
>>29131521
He's the only sword-guy I subscribe to on youtube. Lindy and Skallgrim don't seem as knowledgeable.
>>
>>29132127
It's painfully obvious in the video that he fully intends to say that shooting from a tripod makes the bullets more powerful as a function of their velocity.
>>
File: 1456274253963.png (29 KB, 855x717) Image search: [Google]
1456274253963.png
29 KB, 855x717
>>29131432
Holy shit, I was just watching that video. It made me cringe listening to how wrong he was about this.
Pic related, this sums up the feeling I get from most of his videos.
>>
>>29132033
Disregard what I said he's the one who's retarded. My point still stands though.
>>
File: 1440988267339.jpg (223 KB, 1978x817) Image search: [Google]
1440988267339.jpg
223 KB, 1978x817
>>29132127
At 5:40: "Bullets coming out of a tripod that is really solidly fixed in place will be that little bit more powerful as well as more accurate."
>>
Well, I mean in terms of accuracy sure.

And if he's taking out his ass just tell him
>>
>>29132133
You should look into Knyght Errant and Metatron as well.
>>
>>29132264
He's not wrong.

It's amazing how goddamn stupid /k/ is.
>>
>>29132553

He goes on to say that the bullets actually deliver more energy into targets because the recoil is absorbed better by a tripod than a person's shoulder.
>>
>>29132264
>"Bullets coming out of a tripod that is really solidly fixed in place will be that little bit more powerful
>more powerful
That's fucking retarded.

>as well as more accurate."
That's fucking true.

>>29132553
Nigga please. Read it again.
>>
>>29131432
>by a non-negligible amount

Scientifically speaking, he's correct. Super, super basic physics. I wish you weren't all jaded teenagers.
>>
>>29132607
It's true, but by a stupidly insignificant amount. The momentum of the recoil moving your shoulder back absorbs energy that would otherwise impart energy on the bullet.

Technically true, but irrelevant, like the Coriolis Effect as applied to accuracy in a back-alley murder with a .38 special.
>>
>>29132658

The bullet has probably left the barrel long before it moves your shoulder back.
>>
>>29131432
I could understand if he meant powerful as in more accurate = more effective, but isn't the case he tried to make. Just comes off as really uninformed. I liked a couple of his medieval topic videos though.
>>
>>29132658
Excellent point, but I get the feeling Lindybeige was just trying to sound smart.
>>
Ok, so he is wrong about the bullet being more powerful. Other than that it is a fairly good and informative video. The world is not perfect. Get over your autism.
>>
>>29131485
>lindys a guy who sounds like he knows whats hes talking about but most of the time hes full of shit
This, but he's fun to watch though.

>>29131579
>I never knew that /k/ hates lindybiege
I don't hate him or scholagladiatoria. You just gotta think of them like Wikipedia. Some good information sprinkled with bullshit.
>>
He's fine when he's talking about blades and other whacky-diddles.

When he starts talking about guns, silencers, or anything roughly modern his retardation shows.
>>
I liked Lindy a lot more when he made videos on subjects I didn't have vastly more knowledge than him on.
>>
>>29131485
Depends on what he's talking about and where he got his information from. Stuff he summises or theorizes based on reenactments is iffy at times, stuff he pulls from historical texts is pretty spot on, and stuff about military organization seems right.

Pretty entertaining overall and somewhat informative.
>>
>a novice might call this a silencer
>a more learned man might call this a suppressor
Lindy you fucking moron REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>29131432
Jesus you guys like clinging to meaningless shit.
>>
>>29133729
It's just like /k/ when talking about medieval warfare and weaponry, when I think about it.
>>
>>29132133
I like Skall, but you can't compare him to Matt, it's not fair at all.

>>29132310
This, especially the Knyght.
>>
File: What the durka did I just read.jpg (94 KB, 800x593) Image search: [Google]
What the durka did I just read.jpg
94 KB, 800x593
>>29134080
What exactly is wrong with this quote? They're suppressors. Everyone under the fucking sun calls them silencers.

He's spot on with that.
>>
>>29135645

something about silencer brand silencers
>>
Matt Easton (schola gladiatorial) knows his shit. One of the best subs for medieval/Renaissance weapons and armor

Skallagrim does some cool test cutting and shooting vids, isn't as much of an expert but he knows this, and doesn't talk about shit he's ignorant of. Good sub.

Lindybeige is very knowledgeable about medieval and ancient weapons, but he's very arrogant and thinks he knows everything and is an expert. He comes from a reenactment background, so a lot of what he says is based on how it works in reenactment bit he often portrays that as historical fact. Lots of good videos on extra bullcrap like how cloaks work and how torches work and shit. Still a good sub, but take his stuff with a grain of salt, and when it comes to guns, you might as well ignore him.

The video in OP was decent, other than the tripod = more powerful because it's not pushing you back part, which is fucking stupid and autistic. He had a previous video on gunshot sounds and it was obvious he's a British cuck who has no actual experience with guns and was just guessing
>>
>>29135780
Also,
>thinks submachine guns have crazy recoil and shake around and "point at the ceiling if you're not careful"
Confirmed for getting his knowledge of guns from videogames I guess.
>>
is a medium machine gun a thing, tripod or not a thought they were lmg's?
>>
>>29131968
it's not true to ANY extent whatsoever, neither useful or theoretical. Lindy is simply a fucking retard.

simplified to lindyretard level:

shoot gun in space
50% goes into throwing gun backwards, 50% goes into throwing bullet forwards

shoot gun on earth
50% goes into moving the shooter+mount+earth (exact same amount of energy, the weight of the earth is just so fucking huge you don't notice), 50% goes into throwing bullet forwards.

At no point do you get any gain from the tripod whatsoever. It is entirely for stability to keep the gun pointed the same way and the shooter's shoulders from being obliterated by a powerful round.
>>
>>29135780
I think he made a mistake saying more 'powerful'. perhaps he meant more stable?
>>
>>29135824
I think you might've had a minor stroke there buddy, but I guess GPMGs could just as well be called medium machine guns
>>
>>29131432
>same caliber
Technically,the way you phrase it, he can be correct, if by dumb luck.

.300 blk and .300 Win Mag, for example, utilize the same caliber bullets, but are much different cartridges.
>>
>>29135920
Idk, he elaborated and said that it was because the tripod does get pushed back with every shot, and compared it to throwing a bouncy ball at a surface that moves away on impact and the ball bouncing back towards you with less speed/energy/etc. I'm pretty sure he thinks that a round fired from a gun is literally more powerful if fired from a tripod.
>>
>>29135973
The speed of sound in the gas is way higher than the speed of recoil. But he is theoretically correct.
>>
>>29131432
Lindy comes across as a guy that knows his shit, unfortunately most of his knowledge comes from LARPing and educated guess work hence he gets a lot of it wrong while being so confident he is correct.
>>
>>29136036
theoretically, maybe. But the point is that even if like 10J of energy are removed from a round with a muzzle energy of almost 4000J, it makes a negligible difference, and mentioning it as if it's a serious difference between a tripod mounted gun and a shoulder-fired one is retarded.
>>
>>29131579
The sensible parts of /tg/ hate him. Lindybeige threads used to get posted a lot on /tg/, by people who believed the bullshit he spews. Thankfully, Anons who know what they're talking about managed to mostly stomp that shit out.
>>
>>29135890
This fails to take into account that the process is not an instantaneous transfer of momentum.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.