[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should your first gun be? A .22lr semi auto, bolt action,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (428 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
428 KB, 640x360
What should your first gun be? A .22lr semi auto, bolt action, 12 ga shotgun or what?

Mainly for fun.
>>
If it is for fun you have to try out different guns and find out what is the gun you have to most fun with.
>>
>>29128582
Not everyone has that luxury anon.
>>
Mainly for fun go with the 12 gauge. .22 has proven to be a bitch to find when shit gets real in the gun grabbing world. It has way more uses than the others. Plus the kick is satisfying
>>
>>29128563
.22 or .223 rifle for cheap ammo, easier to learn safely

Skeet shooting is fun, but 12ga can be a bit harsh for noguns
>>
File: 1428676621445.jpg (760 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
1428676621445.jpg
760 KB, 1936x2592
>>29128563
>yer furst raffle shud be a .22 maymay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGkVcnIuj0

A 12ga shotgun can use light loads such as birdshot and then the heavier shit like buckshot, slugs

You LITERALLY cannot got wrong with the following
>ar15
>ak
>pump shotgun
>fullsize or compact handgun
>any .22lr rifle like a 10/22 or marlin 60
>.22lr handguns like a mkii or buckmark

That being said, a .22lr gun is a pretty good place to start at because it's fun, cheap and you will never get rid of it. Ever.
>>
>>29128619
>thinks 12 ga is more fun when you can hit cans 100+ yards away with .22lr and is cheaper to shoot
>>
>>29128676
>he can't hit things out to 200 yards with slugs

You suck dick at shooting my man
>>
>>29128681
>hitting cans at 100+ yards with slugs

Fucking post a video of you doing that consistently you liar.
>>
To the people saying shotgun what shotgun do you recommend? I would think screw in chokes would be very helpful for slugs (rifled) and different loads but the mossberg 500 doesn't have that.
>>
>>29128563
>Mainly for fun.
Then why the hell would you get a 22 instead of a semi auto that shoots a real cartridge?
>>
>>29128795
I hear everyone talk about how .22lr is really fun.
>>
>>29128819
It is, don't get me wrong.
But it's not nearly as fun as shooting 762 by literally anything.
>>
>>29128851
Why not?

I'm just looking but .22lr I can get guns very cheap (some I'm looking at are mid 200 dollar range), 500 rounds is also pretty cheap for .22lr, like 40 bucks but 7.62x39 is like 130 dollars, also guns are more expensive.

Not trying to say you're wrong I'm just trying to make a good decision
>>
>>29128919
>Why not?
You aren't me, but this is my reasoning. At least some of it...
I guess if you are just shooting paper, it's not such a big deal except that 22lr drops pretty fast so it gets really tough past 200 yards, and it's dropped a lot by then even. Otherwise a hole is a hole when it comes to paper.
But I actually spend less money taking one of my big guns down to some ice or a mud/clay pit and launching mud 50 feet in the air, or finding something else reactive to shoot and admiring the damage each shot. Also, something is just fun about recoil and shooting a cooler military rifle.
Even though I have a couple 22s, I usually just use a high velocity pellet rifle for paper and random plinking fun I used to have with 22. It's far more economical, just no semi auto and I use targets more suited for ranges like 30 or so yard shooting like paper and 22lr spinner targets of varying sizes. A pellet clanks and spins the smaller spinners pretty good if you have a decent gun.
>>
>>29129062
But can you get out to 100+ yards with a pellet gun like you can with a .22? I doubt it.
>>
>>29129188
Not really, although there are some people that do.
But that's why I just choose targets that are more appropriate at pellet rifle ranges. Anything 100 yards and up I'm always using centerfire anyway with how expensive 22 has become. I grew up paying under 10 bucks per 550, so I have no tolerance for these ripoff prices like 40-50.
But most of my 22lr shooting took place at pellet rifle ranges anyway, because I was taking birds or hitting targets like cans etc within 50 yards anyway. And a proper expanding pellet really wreaks havok on a bird. I remember hitting one and literally seeing daylight through it's chest while it sat there a couple seconds dripping a few drops of blood, then it dropped to the ground dead.
>>
I learned on a Savage Mkii, and honestly .22 is the way to go. relatively cheap (order online), easy to shoot, and the guns are cheap. I bought my new mkii for 150 at a show from some fudds.
>>
I usually recommend .22 for a number of reasons. The guns, ammo, and appropriate accessories are cheap. A lot of people getting into guns don't want to drop a ton of cash, so if they want to go budget they are stuck with less shit if they go rimfire.
Additionally if you are starting from scratch it is way easier to learn with a gun that has less recoil, noise, etc.
I also recommend bolt gun. Forces you to take every shot, not blow through ammo, generally you can get them cheaper and they are super low maintenance.

The best way to learn is without bad habits, shooting often, and making shots count until you get the fundamental stuff down.

Plus, small game hunting, lots if after market, and cheap suppressors. No end to the fun if you like shooting and not just making noise.
>>
>>29128563
>What should your first gun be?
Whatever gun is handiest at the moment. If that happens to be a .22 that's fine, but unless you're a little girl you should be able to easily handle and learn to effectively operate any gun. It doesn't matter if you start with a nugget or a 10/22 or a Colt Python.

If you're looking for fun just get whatever is cheapest and has the least pricey, most readily available ammo in your area. That's usually a .22, an AR or something milsurp. For actual sport a 12ga will probably do you more good though.
>>
>>29128563
.22 if you just want fun and are a poorfag. AR 15 when you get bored of .22
>>
Five years ago I would have said to get a Mosin. They're still not super expensive, but they're definitely at the edge of the maximum price I'd be willing to shell out for a relatively common milsurp rifle. Still. 7.62x54R is an incredibly good caliber for just about any purpose, and you can reach out and touch someone at 900 yards with the iron sights if you're steady-handed. Don't spend more than $200 for one though.
>>
>>29129705
I have shot 2 .22lr pistols before, 1 quite a few times (probably 300+ rounds through it), a .22lr rifle (an old one and only a little, I don't like the sights it was a Stevens semi auto, and 2 .22 WMR rifles. I love the savage 22 wmr bolt action I shot and the other was a Henry lever action.

I don't want 22 wmr though because it's too expensive.
>>
>>29128563
handgun for CC and HD
then get another gun like a shotgun for HD
anything after that is up in the air, but i would say a rifle
>>
>>29128735
mossberg or remington
if you want to be cheap get a pardner pump they work just fine
>>
>>29128563
Full auto Mac 11
>>
>>29130464
Both trash
>>
>>29128563
Desert Eagle .50 AE
>>
>>29128735
Italy's big 3 franchi benili and Bretta
>>
>>29130478
what do you recommend?
>>
>>29130425
Savage is probably the best bolt gun, although the Ruger American rimfires are solid too.

Other than that, Henry .22's are fantastic and the 10/22 and Model 60s are classic semis. I'm a manual guy myself though, plus you can feed it all sorts of funky .22 longs and shorts. .22 CBs are about as quiet as you can get without a can. Sounds like an air gun going off.
>>
>>29130510
Italy's big 3
>>
>>29130518
What about CZ? They're more expensive though, but I hear good things.

I still don't see why every single one of these guns doesn't have a threaded barrel though, especially the CZs.
>>
>>29128563
If you have very little experience, you'd probably be served well by a budget AR. I had a Norinco CQ-A; it was accurate, reliable, was easy to control, and helped me learn the basics of shooting. I think you'd be served well by something like a Ruger SR-556 or a S&W M&P 15.

Don't take my word for it. If you're in a state in the US with more open gun laws, you have an unparalleled selection of rifles to choose from, AR or otherwise. Try out different rifles and find the one that fits you the best.
>>
>>29130628
I unfortunately have never gotten to do anything but handle a few CZs. They are well made guns though and I never hear anything bad about them.

Threaded barrels are starting to become an option on a lot of stuff, but even with all the recent growth in cans and other muzzle devices, there's not enough to put it on everything. Doubly so for any long gun you have to import. However, depending on outside barrel diameter, it's pretty trivial to thread a barrel. I have an old Stevens I'm considering it for since I want a .22 can at some point.
>>
>>29128681
>spending $1 per shot
Yeah no
>>
When price is an issue, a 12g shotgun for your first gun. It has a lot of utility and it's simple to use.

When price is not an issue, an AR or AK. A but more useful overall and applicable in a lot more situations.
>>
>>29128676
Hitting small things at 100+ yards is not newbie, Anon. 25 is more realistic, but still pushing it in most cases.
Regardless, the question was "How do I get started," not "How awesome are you."
>>
>>29128563
shotguns are only fun if you have a place you can shoot them at. a place thats not a range. where you can just fuck around with the thing in the woods blasting away. dont get me wrong clays are fun too but standing in a stall shooting a shotgun at paper at a range is the most boring thing in the world

if you dont have a spot get a 22 semi or bolt is personal preference
>>
>>29130800

I'm not too worried about utility, I really doubt I'll ever have to use a gun in a HD situation, like I said it's mainly about fun.
>>
Isn't that Hickok45 in the OP's picture?

There's really only one answer. Get both.
>>
>>29128619
Not that hard to find.

ammo-deals.com - select your caliber and it'll show you everybody selling it online, current prices, and shipping costs (if you add your zip up top)
>>
>>29128563
>1964+52
>not starting with a Ruger 10/22
>>
>>29128670
I second what this man says
>>
>>29131053
I was looking at the collectors series 2nd edition 10/22 because I like the look better (someone posted about it here actually it looks cool)

But the barrel is not threaded so that is a downside.
>>
>>29128563

a .22 rifle is a great way to learn the fundamentals of shooting. Stance, grip, sight alignment, and trigger pull.

Then I'd buy a 12ga shotgun. They are the single most versatile firearm available. You can hunt large, small, and flying game, defend your home, load your own shells, etc.

Then get a go to war rifle and a sidearm.
>>
>>29128563

There is no right answer, get whatever you want. If someone wants a .357 revolver as a first gun then that's the gun they should get. Shooting already has a relatively high time and money barrier to entry, don't make it harder by listening to someone who says you need to buy and use a gun you don't want as some sort of rite of passage before getting what your heart is set on.

My first was a pump action 12 gauge.
>>
>>29131027
Yes
>>
>>29128563
.22lr bolt action, hands down.

if you want to develop good shooting skills it's done one shot at a time, slowly and with concentration

having to work the bolt between each shot helps with this

also anyone who says that .22 is hard to find is fucking retarded
>>
File: 1455680256476.jpg (305 KB, 890x1254) Image search: [Google]
1455680256476.jpg
305 KB, 890x1254
Depends on your goals, but it's worth nothing that you can take a .22 to an Appleseed and get taught the basics of rifle marksmanship. No real equivalent for shotgunning, AFAIK.
>>
>>29131286
>that chicken wing

What the fuck
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.