[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the purpose of a delayed fuse on a dumb bomb?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: m3f64ef90[1].jpg (78 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
m3f64ef90[1].jpg
78 KB, 600x399
retard here. just curious, watching a nam documentary on Newsmax.
>>
>>29089475
it goes boom after an amount of time
>>
>>29089475
Making a bigger hole.
>>
>>29089480
after it hits the ground?

wouldn't that soften the blast?
>>
If it goes boom on the surface of a bunker, it won't damage the bunker much. If it delays the boom, then it can use its kinetic energy to dig a hole in the bunker, ideally going boom while within said bunker, causing far more damage.
>>
>>29089492
So when they are dropping them in the jungles of vietnam they were actually trying to bomb the underground facilities?
>>
http://www.newsmaxtv.com/

it's streaming live here if anyone was interested.
>>
>>29089507
I don't know the specifics of every mission they did there, but delayed fuse bombs are your best bet for getting in the tunnels that the Viets used.
>>
>>29089545
That makes sense. I didn't think bunker busters came out until after Vietnam.
>>
Newsmax has some quality war documentaries, much better than anything you'll ever find on the history channel.
>>
>>29089558
They've been in use in one form or another since WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunker_buster
>>
>>29089475
>Drop a dozen bombs on a target.
>Set a couple with delayed fuses to go off days later.
>Laugh twice.
(denying a place to an enemy after removing them from it)
>>
>>29089475

This kind of bomb was developed during the Vietnam war in an attempt to calm down all the anti war faggot hippies. It's so when you drop it, the enemy can see that there is a bomb in their base, and give them time to evacuate before it destroys all of their warmaking equipment.
>>
>>29089653
That's pretty insane. Not sure if I buy that as it's primary purpose. I can definitely see it being used that way.
>>
are these bombs detonation mechanisms completely encased inside? I thought the tips were the primers that caused the detonation?

How do they bury into the ground intact? or especially steel reinforced concrete?
>>
Bunker busters can have fuses that detonate after recording a certain amount of impacts, for example Saddam allegedly had an underwater palace with multiple layers of spaced concrete above it to trick bunker buster bombs into thinking it had penetrated the bunker when it hadn't.

Technology, man
>>
>>29089475
So the munition goes off after it hits the target,generally only a few seconds.

They are dropped on buildings so they explode after hitting the roof.
>>
>>29089741
How the fuck can a dumb bomb get the kinetic energy required to penetrate deep into hard surfaces without crumbling like a pop can?
>>
>>29089755
Because they are made out of strong materials...

are you high?
>>
>>29089776
I said that I was retarded, and curious.

We don't come out of the womb understanding everything, friend.

I'm buzzed.
>>
Wiki:
>Short delays were used to allow the bomb to penetrate before exploding: "a delay action bomb striking the roof of a tall building will penetrate through several floors before bursting";[1] longer delays were intended to disrupt salvage and other activities, and spread terror, in areas where there could still be live bombs, and to attack bomb disposal workers.
>>
>>29089683
>Not sure if I buy that
That's because he's bullshitting you.

>An explosion in air does not transfer much energy into a solid, due to acoustic impedance. Due to the lack of accuracy of bombing in the face of anti-aircraft defences, air forces used area bombardment, dropping large numbers of bombs so that it would be likely that the target was hit. Although a direct hit from a light bomb would destroy an unprotected target, it was comparatively easy to armour ground targets with many yards of concrete, and thus render critical installations such as bunkers essentially bombproof. If a bomb could be designed to explode in water, soil, or other less compressible materials, the explosive force would be transmitted more efficiently to the target object.
>>
>>29089755
Verra hard metal.
Lots of altitude.
Gravity.
>>
>>29089755
They're much, much thicker and heavier and harder than a pop can. High-strength steel (Eglin steel superalloy was developed expressly for this purpose), several inches thick. GBU-28 casings were actually made from repurposed artillery barrels.
>>
>>29089475
Bury everyone in a trench or foxhole.
If you delay it by a millisecond the bomb will be in the ground when it explodes.
Trenches will collapse.
So will buildings when you target them, the bomb will explode in the building, not on top of the roof.

With CCIP you can land a dumb bomb within 33 yards of the intended impact point.
>>
File: 1454636397996.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1454636397996.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
>>29089653
This is complete bullshit.

They did it so the bomb would not explode in the trees.

A delay fuse only delays a few seconds.
>>
>>29089628
Gives them time to read what you wrote on the hull.
>>
>>29089475
Penetration
>>
>>29089475
when flying really low you don't want the bomb to explode right under your jet
>>
>>29089653
I don't think they understand the satire
>>
>>29089475
Killing the rescue party
>>
>>29089776
>provided correct answer
>ignored as anons speculate in the bombs uses
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.