[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /k/'s take on using manual safeties during concealed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: g43-p938-size-comparison.jpg (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
g43-p938-size-comparison.jpg
1 MB, 1200x800
What's /k/'s take on using manual safeties during concealed carry?
>>
>>29084575
safetys on carry weapons are cancer
>>
>>29084575
Don't like them at all.
>>
I prefer the them.
>>
>>29084575
If its something with a sao trigger like a 1911, sure. If it's a dao or da/sa gun, fuck no that shit is retarded.
>>
>>29084575
Safeties prevent you from shooting your fucking dick off. I won't carry a firearm without a safety on it. I also won't carry a firearm until I can reliably disengage the safety on the draw with a fluid motion. Training is a good thing to do. NDs are NOT a good thing to do.
>>
>>29084575
I prefer them. A lot of times they make for better triggers (usually single action). They are also a good protection against clothing or something unforeseeable getting into the trigger guard while you're holstering. Plenty of accounts of cops shooting themselves in the leg because the bungee pull cords on their jackets got caught and pulled the trigger while they were re-holstering.

Also if you have a little baby who is crawling, obviously keep your guns locked in a safe but if chance has it that he DOES get a hold of it, he has a MUCH better chance of shooting himself with a Glock than, say, a 1911 or USP on safe.

It's also good protection for if your gun falls out for some unforeseen reason. If a kid gets a hold of it, it likely won't go bang.

There have also been police accounts where bad guys got a hold of their guns and the manual safeties saved their lives because the bad guy couldn't figure out how to work the safety in time before the officer could either draw a backup gun, tackle the guy, or get help from another officer.

But it's all personal preference. I am just extolling their virtues. Many believe that guns without safeties will perform better under stress, and they may well be correct.

So have this as part of your research, for what it's worth.
>>
>>29084575
I'm not a fan
>>
>>29084672
Also i forgot to mention, uniformity of training. If you are always remembering the safety and training with it on your rifle, then maybe a pistol with a safety will help you feel just a little more at home.
>>
as long as you got a good holster that covers up the trigger.

And you actually pay attention when you're re-holstering so that you don't somehow push clothing in with the gun, you're fucking fine.

I mean, holy shit. People somehow think once they have a manual safety, they don't need to do any of that anymore because "the safety is on bro!"
>>
>>29084672
>
Also if you have a little baby who is crawling, obviously keep your guns locked in a safe but if chance has it that he DOES get a hold of it, he has a MUCH better chance of shooting himself with a Glock than, say, a 1911 or USP on safe.

If a child, let alone a toddler, somehow got a hold of your gun. Safety or no safety, you fucked up real bad somewhere along the way.
>>
>>29084672
This is good advice. There are pros/cons to having a manual safety. I personally feel that if I'm going to carry cocked and locked I want a safety. Murphy's law. It's no excuse for negligence, but it's nice to have at least a backup.

Secondly, train unholstering and switching the safety in one motion. Sure it'll take time to commit to muscle memory, but if you aren't willing to put in the time to train, you probably shouldn't be carrying anyway.
>>
>>29084621
Same here I don't like the idea of a 9mm hole through my dick.
>>
>>29086137
how do all you fucktards think that a gun in a proper holster with retention+covered trigger area will go off without you pulling the trigger?
>>
File: 1432434912425.gif (604 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1432434912425.gif
604 KB, 300x300
>mfw cc a p239 all day every day and don't have to worry about a gay ass safety or my arteries exploding

If your gun isn't SAO and has a manual safety, you suck penises and are a cuck.
>>
>>29086600
Let's say you cc 300 days a year that means you have 600 chances a year to get a jacket string or miss place your finger and have a ND or you can use a safety and limit NDs. You just need to train taking the safety off when you draw. Not having a safety on because you think it slows you down means you need to train more with the safety.
>>
>>29086600
Never said it was going to go off randomly. I said sometimes shit happens. People make mistakes.
>>
>>29087157
>Let's say you cc 300 days a year
>not 365

faggot
>>
>>29084575

I haven't found a handgun with an automatic safety, so..
>>
>>29084575
I carry in SA, with a round in the chamber, and I practice with my firearms, so yes, I use a manual safety.
>>
>>29087407
>>I haven't found a handgun with an automatic safety, so..
>>I'm not going to practice drawing with a safety.
>>
>>29084621
There's also Condition 3 ("Israeli carry") for guns without safety (or those paranoid about chemical processes going bad and causing an ND in a chambered gun - have one friend like that).

I'm still skeptical, but I've been told repeatedly by unrelated people that racking the slide on the draw doesn't slow down your presentation if you do it right (top grip, support arm movement towards strong arm shoulder is what they say you need to do).
>>
>>29084575
Training issue at most
>>
Depends. I started with an SAO P220. No problems whatsoever and even liked it. Then I moved to a p239 da/sa because I grew out of a safety. Still no issues with da/sa transition. Then I finally grew up and switched to a p2000sk v4 medium LEM and realized I was a fucking idiot and hk LEM triggers are the only way to ever carry
>>
>>29087956
Problem is if you are shoving someone off or fighting with one arm say against a knife you are totally fucked with having to rack.
>>
>>29084575

If you really think this is a one-or-the-other thing, you're a retard and I can't help you. (not just OP faggots)

I carry both striker and safety-SA. Both have advantages and disadvantages subjectively, but in the end it only matters what you are better with and proficient with.
>>
>>29086338
Don't you mean you don't want a 9mm to cut your dick off?
>>
>>29087157
First of this >>29087357
And do you guys really take your gun out of your holster everytime you take off your holster? Seems pretty fucking retarded to me
>>
Safeties are for military duty weapons designed to prevent PVT Chucklefuck from shooting his buddy in the face when he inevitably fucks around with it for selfies.

DA/SA is a step in the right direction but still for people who dont trust themselves to be an adult.

>muh child getting a hold of it and shooting themself

Safety or no safety youve failed as a parent at that point
>>
>>29088651

My gun leaves its holster plenty for dry fire practice.

If your holster is worth a damn it should be DESIGNED to not cause you to shoot yourself inna dick when presenting or holstering.
>>
safeties are fucking cancer. This is why I can't get enough of glocks

>>29088708
>this
if you're not carrying in a hybrid holster, you're not doing it right
>>
What purpose do safeties serve other than stopping you from discharging your firearm when you dont intend to. If you need such a safety, maybe you should put the gun down and take a safety course because your finger shouldnt be on the trigger unless you need to fire.
>>
>>29091239
The literal only argument for hybrids is from people complaining about full kydex being uncomfortable.

>wear an undershirt

Problem solved, and now you have better retention in a thinner holster.
>>
>>29091364
I like having pliable wings to my holster though. it makes it more comfortable to sit down
>>
>>29091377
What position do you carry in?

I either carry AIWB to the right of center, or OWB 3 o' clock if it's cold enough for my autism coat.
>>
>>29091412
usually 3 o'clock IWB, 4 o'clock if I'm carrying something tiny like my PPS
I can't carry appendix both because it's uncomfortable to me and most days I'm in a tucked shirt and blazer
Been looking to get a full kydex light bearing holster, but only problems I've ever had on hybrids is every single fucking retention screw backing itself out on my comp-tac holsters. Seriously. All four of them eventually lost their retention screws
>>
>>29091449
>retention screw
triggered. Fucking hate those

For OWB I have a light-bearing OG Raven Concealment that I like and would recommend. As for IWB, I don't dig anything further back than 3 o' clock, can be awkward to get to in a scuffle.

Not exactly the same as wings, but there are companies that make kydex holsters with an offset belt clip to the side of the gun. Also makes it thinner
>>
>>29091483
thanks for the rec, man
yeah, i'm somewhat limited in what position I can carry, because I'm constantly sitting, standing, and driving all day
>>
>>29091532
I used to work in merchandising for Coke and had to do that, plus physical work. I started using a Smart Carry knockoff for non-permissive work environments. Obviously, has disadvantages, but at work I can't risk printing or showing at all. Used to pocket carry but this lets me using a larger gun and carry a spare mag, plus I can draw with either hand if I have to, and it's easier to access if I get tackled/etc.

But yeah, Raven is gr8 but you can probably find one cheaper. In general, kydex is kydex
>>
>>29084575
Presence of a positive manual safety is a basic requirement for me. Wouldn't even consider a weapon without it.

For CC specifically, it's very important that it disengages easily, quickly, and naturally as well of course.
>>
>>29091560
>In general, kydex is kydex

It is until it begins to crack
>>
>>29091573
That's great. But why?

For the sake of this conversation, assume that you are using a holster that does not collapse and completely protects the trigger guard.

>>29091577
I EDC and go through classes with kydex holsters, and have never had one break, even when dropping my entire body weight on one when sliding on wet grass. I'm not worried about them, especially when you can get a perfectly decent one for $30 and most offer warranties.
>>
>>29091573

>Im a step up from "i dont trust myself around guns."
>>
>>29086083
That is terrible logic all gun guys use and I wish it would stop. By that logic, you would carry the smallest, lightest possible firearm with the most limited capacity possible because if you end up in a situation needing more than 1 or 2 shots, you fucked up bad. Better carry a NAA .22

Hell if you end up needing a gun at all, you fucked up bad.

The thing is those statements just aren't true. Shit happens, man. Have you never ever had an accident before in your life? Never slipped on ice or broken a pair of sunglasses or dropped your phone?

It's your choice of you want a safety-less gun and that's perfectly fine, but using logic like that is what I have a problem with.
>>
>>29091588
What do you carry?
>>
File: ruger-lcr-300x199.jpg (16 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
ruger-lcr-300x199.jpg
16 KB, 300x199
>>29084575
Fuck safeties.
>>
>>29093041
>i have been shooting twice since turning 18 3 weeks ago
>i got the SWAT package
>all guns should be glocks
>>
I think safeties are useless if you're carrying with a proper quality holster, but whatever you train with will work, safety or not. It's not like you're fighting against highly skilled special forces soldiers in self defense, niggers and criminals in general aren't trained and are pretty dumb.
>>
>>29084575
SAO CCW needs a safety
I carry a DA/SA Sig, no safety, 10lb DA pull is very safe
no safety strikers like Glock are a bad idea

jmho, learn to live with it
>>
>>29096537

>I either endlessly finger fuck my gun as if it were my sister or Im a product of antifuns who legitamitely thinks guns can just "go off."
>>
>>29097083

Your opinion sucks and your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>29097906
Stop being a turd
>>
>>29097083
>SAO CCW

Why would you do this.

The only reason I can think to have a safety is because of drawing with the trigger. If you do this, sell your guns and stop posting forever.
>>
>>29084575
It upsets their delicate Austrian feelies.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.